Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Sincerely with Our Dogs and Cats in our Middle Ages????      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bAc0nflav0redbac0n
Msg: 176
Oddball is great!!!Page 8 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
^

I am bonded with A pair of quadrupeds. They have my commitment and loyalt as I have theirs. They protect me and I nurture them. It's a life-long contract that can't broken.

If a prospect disagrees with this, he can take hike, preferably to somewhere far away. Where my dogs are, is where I am.
 Aprilikeswhiteroses
Msg: 177
Oddball is great!!!
Posted: 10/16/2015 7:27:59 AM

Give me dogs and penguins over people who do not like animals any day.

Yup.!!
whenever I see a penguin, makes me smile..:)

I feel sorry for anyone - female or male - that has never experienced love from/for a pet.

Me 2.!

I am a dog person, but when Spot our pet died, my daughter found Molly and brought her home, since then, I do love cats too.
Molly sleeps at the end of the bed, *when she wants to sleep in my room) she doesn't like to be touch, ONLY when she feels like it she gets close to our feet for us to massage her head with our toes.
She likes one kind of dry food ONLY, and she love to eat sardines can as a treat, my daughter gives her sardines one day on and one off as treat..they are cheaper than regular cat can food so we are ok with that...lol.

Ahh, today is her shower day, I need to cut her nails first because she still do not like to shower and try to scratch my arms....lol.
 pinedrop
Msg: 178
Oddball is great!!!
Posted: 10/16/2015 9:19:16 AM
I happen to like dogs very much. Like most of you I find animals much easier to relate to than people. I mean you just buy one, give it love, feed it, house it and take care of it and it returns a lifetime of love and loyalty. (sounds like a marriage of sorts) Humans and relationships are much more difficult.

Question, what is being over catted or over dogged or is that possible ? Is a guy with ten dogs or a women with 13 cats overdoing it at the expense of meeting a new lover. If you say so then you must hate cats and dogs and everyone can pity you. If a women on a fixed income spends all her money on her pets and has very little left for her own needs is that a little strange? Does saying so mean you hate pets? Do horsey women love their horses much more than they could ever love a man. I think so in most cases.

Many people have given up on finding love with a human counterpart for whatever reason and would rather sleep with dogs or a few cats. More power to them. I prefer the human types myself but hey thats just me.
 Maleman999
Msg: 179
Oddball is great!!!
Posted: 10/16/2015 10:38:46 AM
There have been people who say their pets are like their children and value them as much. Then there are people who attack that statement, saying they shouldn't love and value their pets as much. So how much love is too much love to give a living creature? Are people threatened that an animal lover won't have enough love left over to give to a partner? I haven't met anyone yet who has a love meter attached to their body that goes from full to empty once enough love is dispensed. I would be more suspicious of someone who doesn't have the ability to love another living creature, and someone having a dislike for any creature is a definite deal breaker (I might forgive someone if they have a dislike for snakes or bugs, since I'm not fond of them either).
 pixiedustinyoureyes
Msg: 180
view profile
History
Oddball is great!!!
Posted: 10/19/2015 11:47:48 AM
I know that if my animals weren't accepted I wouldn't even start a relationship with that person. To me that's something you find out pretty much at the start.
 Strings6
Msg: 181
view profile
History
Oddball is great!!!
Posted: 11/5/2015 11:07:01 AM
I had a woman tell me once that it wouldnt work because she was not a pet person,i told her I understood because I was not a two full grown sons who couldn't find their ass with both hands causing constant drama,flaky friends and pain in the ass relatives kind of person either,so yeah,it wouldn't work.
 deetristate
Msg: 182
Oddball is great!!!
Posted: 11/6/2015 2:56:01 AM
So you got hostile. Why do pet people do that?
She didn't like that you had a pet or that you smoked or that you had parties every day, whatever. Just part.
 Strings6
Msg: 183
view profile
History
Oddball is great!!!
Posted: 11/6/2015 3:46:05 PM
No I didn't get hostile but did take offense at her suggestion that a sweet little dog or cat that just wants to love you that might shed a little hair every now and then is an issue but idiots that bring nothing but misery to your life are just fine.....I don't smoke or have parties everyday,her drama king sons friends and relatives however did all of those things.

The point,if it needs to be stated clearly,is that people are a much bigger problem than pets are and if you have a lot of people baggage with you it would seem that you would be a bit more tolerant of Animal issues few as there are.
 TheEvolutionOfJessi
Msg: 185
view profile
History
Oddball is great!!!
Posted: 11/7/2015 8:00:19 PM
I have learned in life:
be nice to an animal, and they'll love you forever
be nice to a human and who knows WHAT the frick will happen....

I have furry, fuzzy, feathered and scaled pets in my assortment.... oh, and a child....
Cat's are indoors only - two in their twelfth year... I spoil them big time - flying them cross country and putting them in Elvis themed catteries... (hey, shows I won't even give them up for relocating)
Dog? he and I have a tolerable relationship... but I wouldn't give him up for nuts... despite influencing dates and opportunities, he's there for me to go for a run or as security - best solution for him is to stay in the car and he's real happy with that... it just influences my running and dating to somewhere I can find shaded/undercover parking (did you notice I put running before dating?? lol)

Lizard is lazy... no more said...
Chickens and Ducks are productive members in the yard....
oh, and the recent maggots are a science experiment and food for the fowl....

But when these pets all depart the earth, I'll be able to say I saw through the commitment - they are (were) worth the 'time and effort', which is more than some fellows thought of me.... (ie 'thought they could handle it' rather than accept that our lifestyles weren't a match....)
I won't be replacing them as I acknowledge my own desires of international travel (for a marathon - of course there's running again) and I already know this desire wouldn't be fair on any new critters coming into the house.
 Looking_4_her_still
Msg: 186
Sincerely with Our Dogs and Cats in our Middle Ages????
Posted: 11/15/2015 11:32:52 AM
Folks are attached to their pets. Ill keep mine,,,, but what if Jennifer Lawrence messages me on POF ? Still keep'n em. I pay for my pet's expenses, not those of others.

Some people take pet welfare to extremes. I can relate

Dated a women with two lil dogs "her kids", old and sick, and vet bills of $700 a month. It was sad because she couldnt afford that and had to pay her own med bills for a car wreck, 45mph to 0 hitting a truck.

Fortunately, it wasnt that bad because her roommate ( a far more senior gentleman to her by 20 yrs ) was actually her legal hubby. I didn't know it at the time, but after I found out I felt relieved. After I broke up with his wife ( avoiding hypothetical money conflicts over her expensive sick dogs ), the hubby went bankrupt.

Yup, she loved her dogs, and, yup she was nut.
 call_me_tater
Msg: 187
Posted: 11/15/2015 1:50:13 PM
Managed to turn a pet conversation into women after your money yet again.
Do you know any other songs?
 cookymaker
Msg: 188
view profile
History
Posted: 11/15/2015 2:14:25 PM
I am an animal lover. I don't demand that someone I am dating loves my dog or cat like I do. In fact, I make sure my pets don't unnecessarily annoy people by trying to get all the attention.
The fact is when our kids are grown and we live alone- our pets fill a void . We get attached. We love them.

Would I get rid of a pet that I have had for 12 years for a potential mate? No. Potential isn't good enough.
Say you give your pet up for adoption in the hopes this relationship will work... and it doesn't. What then? You lost your furry companion for nothing.

And sometimes it's not about the dog. What kind of person would expect you to get rid of a beloved pet? Makes me wonder what other demands are waiting down the line......

Allergies is another story.. But it still goes back to the potential mate. They do have allergy pills. I feel sorry for those who are allergic to animals, they are missing out on what a pet can add to your life.
 SunKist_Gal
Msg: 189
Posted: 11/15/2015 3:20:59 PM
Well, I am not allergic but I view pets as children and a big responsibility....as do most pet owners.
I have had pets but in my plans for retirement and travelling and a move to a retirement condo....if all goes according to plan.
I have opted not to get another pet at this time.
I do not want the worry of what to do with the pet on my travels or that having a pet impede on my choice of where I can live.
My personal opinion and choice. I will probably not want a mate that has a lap dog to worry about either.
Not ruling it out of my life forever.....just not now.
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 190
Posted: 11/15/2015 6:36:59 PM
Like the saying goes. A dog is a man best friend.
 Lasthookbringsme
Msg: 191
Posted: 11/16/2015 3:28:09 AM
My man best friend recently gave me a guinea pig, not only a gift, but as a cavy companion. I have extensive knowledge on said animals and I know how to care for one properly, so she's being well care for and pampered. After all, her species has been the subject of ridicule, abuse, misunderstandings, and, of course, medical advancements for which I'm truly grateful and of which I benefit. So yes, he and I believe we owe to these sweet little piggies to give them lives full of respite and enrichment.

If I were in the dating arena, again, would I date somebody who believes my reverence for piggies is childish, even silly? No. I wouldn't date my best friend, of course -- but he resembles that compassion and commitment I see in some of the men in the cavy groups online (and offline).
 JujuO12
Msg: 192
Posted: 11/16/2015 5:46:23 AM
I love animals and have had them my entire life. If you dont like my animals I understand but I choose not to date you.
 Looking_4_her_still
Msg: 193
Posted: 11/16/2015 5:17:36 PM

Managed to turn a pet conversation into women after your money yet again.
Do you know any other songs?

Sensible comment.
Having a pets does cost more than in the past, along with nearly everything else. Money getting tighter, wages dropping. A few 50-ish nurse friends finding out their recession proof profession aint. Accepting pay cuts, longer hours and loosing employer benefits. Dont get those ladies talking about money, they miss their heyday when they could afford a little poodle along with doctor boyfriends providing an occasional new sports car. Getting worst too. Plenty of competition moving in from northern states.

All that stuff, It's not my fight. I just write about the misery of others.

Their pets are their job? I take care of mine, no one elses.
 Viper1j
Msg: 194
Posted: 11/22/2015 5:35:40 AM

Is he kidding??????? Granted, the dog (and cat) is man's best friend, but literally??? So should this allergy ridden fishette write anyway, or should she take him at his literal word?.

It would be in your best interest to.

Over the years, my dogs have been one hell of a lot more faithful than any woman. When you get down to as the truckers like to say, "where the rubber meets the road", she'll be sleeping outside long before the dog will.
 Viper1j
Msg: 195
Posted: 11/29/2015 7:58:04 PM

I do not want the worry of what to do with the pet on my travels or that having a pet impede on my choice of where I can live. My personal opinion and choice. I will probably not want a mate that has a lap dog to worry about either..

Probably a good thing you never had children.

I would hate growing up with a mom that called me an impediment.
 Strings6
Msg: 196
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2015 3:40:18 PM
I am an Animal lover but have never understood judging them by people standards, or people by pet standards,pet owners say their pets give them unconditional love, well considering their lack of ability to judge your character by any standard other than food,shelter and affection what are they supposed to do,if you told your pet about your criminal history what would they do,if you told them you stole things from work,lied alot,stabbed your best friend in the back and slept with your brothers wife would they pack up their food dish and leave ? you could do all of this and slap a baby and steal its bottle on the way home and it wouldnt matter to them...... we love Animals more for what they are than they love us for who we are because their perceptions of us are much simpler than our perceptions of each other so we in a sense look to them for what we cannot get from each other based on our treatment of each other.....or something like that.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 197
view profile
History
Oddball is great!!!
Posted: 12/17/2015 9:39:16 PM
I agree with you, String. There is always some truth in stereotypes....and the one stereotype that doesn't apply to me is that "black people hate cats." I love cats...always have since I was a child. I have two. When a man tells me that he "doesn't like cats", I tell him, that's okay, I am sure you will find someone who doesn't like cats. Sometimes the person who wants you to "get rid" of your pets is the hostile one.
 ShowboatSupreme
Msg: 198
Oddball is great!!!
Posted: 12/18/2015 8:12:45 AM
I love animals which is why I don't have one.

They need TLC. I don't have the time to devote to them.

The few times I dated gals with pets, it was cumbersome. They had to find pet sitters.

I tell ya, sometimes the owner is the issue and not the pet. One gal put the dog in my back seat. Fluffy was jumping all around. Fluffy wound up jumping on my lap at 60 mph going down the 405 freeway. Not cool.

I drive a 2 seater now so more worries about Fluffy.

I have plastic house plant and that's it. It hides the cables behind my entertainment system. It's low maintenance.

Its name is LEAF.

All I have to do is dust it off once in awhile.
 hemingway234
Msg: 199
Oddball is great!!!
Posted: 12/18/2015 8:14:15 AM
If you have allergies, date someone who does not own pets. You only need one. Simple really.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 200
view profile
History
Oddball is great!!!
Posted: 12/20/2015 10:21:29 AM
You are correct hemingway. Why all the drama over something so simple?. My grandfather used to tell us, "get who you want and who wants you. Do not try to change someone to your specifications, as it only causes hostility and misery for both of you."
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Sincerely with Our Dogs and Cats in our Middle Ages????