Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > What would a perfect world look like?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Balsamica
Msg: 131
What would a perfect world look like?Page 8 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
AKK,

""The problem is most people aren't designed for that kind of life...It "could" work on paper, but existence as is shows that it won't because people like gadgets, and shooting each other over land and having wealth incumbency, etc.""

Be that as it may, the Amish work in real life, not just on paper.

""Which means... the only way to make everyone Amish is to A) remove free will from the equation, or B) Fascist Dictatorship and Genocide... and what's worse, that applies to any solution that isn't universally embraced by human kind, and since people don't like to agree very much, I'm going to go out and say humans don't want utopia. They want "their" version of Utopia.""

Never crossed my mind to make everyone Amish, a ridiculous idea. We're not looking for utopia here, just a social and economic and political system that is non-suicidal and sustainable because we are committing suicide as a species. It's about just plain survival, not utopia.
 Balsamica
Msg: 132
What would a perfect world look like?
Posted: 6/12/2012 3:36:28 PM
''A very noble cause... but did you ever stop to consider that maybe humanity, as a whole, doesn't want that? There's a pretty good chunk of evidence that shows humanity kind of likes destroying itself, historically speaking.''

Granted that humanity has suicidal tendencies and is on a suicidal path, that has already been noted.

""Even if you have the answer (Being Amish or anything else) you're going to have to make it appealing to the people hell bent on killing and destroying each other, as well as those with wealth incumbency and pretty much all the people that have every reason to oppose it.""

I don't have to make anything appealing to anyone. Not selling Amish here.

""While it's a valid mental exercise, I just want to make sure we're all on the same page in understanding the new world order isn't going to come about from this thread...""

News? Details at 11?
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 133
view profile
History
Posted: 6/12/2012 4:45:11 PM
Nobody is selling Amish. They can't do it because of lack of horse-powered internet connections. They do tend to use the pay phone across the street to do their business ventures though, by-passing certain restrictions. And they also tend to be a bunch of misogynistic azzwipes when it comes down to that. Not perfect by any means, but just another model of a semblence of sustainability as a community. I love their cheese curds and jams, but the last time I bought some from a vendor in town, his hands were rather unsanitary from horse dung and who the hell knows what. That is why we need standards, watchdogs, and a sense of community well being through standards.

Despite their short failings, and that of many alternative communities, the larger community that relies on liquidation, boom-bust, "I got mine" mentality, "I am too priviledged and lazy to make a change" folks, the alt-lifestyle folks at least are trying and being mindful. I went private solar after hearing the tales of woe and terrorism from folks in the coal fields. Here, 60% of the power comes from mountain top removal, followed by nuke plants and the environmental terrorism that supports in the mining, production, and non-disposal storage that entails. The nukes also heat the river to extremes where the plants have to shut down at times to prevent a river holocaust. To me that is rather irresponsible given the values I was raised with. Solar made sense, is affordable, active solar heats and cools, and conservation and efficiency is merely mindfulness and has little sacrifice involved. I just prefer not to be one who shats upon the world of the kiddos I love and respect. Taint rocket science. Just takes a bit of thinking, creativity, conservation, living within a budget, and a desire not to crap on future generation and other species that have just as much a right to share our space, and who may be our salvation and ship-mates to the stars one day. ya never know.
 Balsamica
Msg: 134
Posted: 6/14/2012 3:40:10 PM
""and a desire not to crap on future generation and other species that have just as much a right to share our space, and who may be our salvation and ship-mates to the stars one day. ya never know.""

I certainly hope the answer won't be to escape to "the stars" in the future. That would really take the unsustainable cake!
 JustDukky
Msg: 135
Posted: 6/22/2012 2:48:14 AM

What are some answers that provide a political and economic system that fosters equality, spreads health and wealth, preserves the earth and keeps population growth in check?

Destroy the cities and go back to living in villages of about 100 people; live sustainably, taking only the resources needed for food, shelter & clothing. The rewards are many...living happily in harmony with nature and your fellow man, enjoying the closeness of your friends & family, and knowing your place in this wonderful universe. We really don't need all that plastic sh!t the crooked corporations try to sell us anyway.
 CressB
Msg: 136
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2012 8:17:59 AM
Adam-Antium

If you are interested in entering the debate about the Venus Project, contained in this thread, you need to respond to specific statements. I would also suggest that you review the material on anarcho-capitalism that I have provided.

As it is, I am unable to respond to what you have written above.
 CressB
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2012 9:10:10 AM

And why are you unable to respond to what I have written?

Because your statements have no context within the debate as it exists at this point.
 CressB
Msg: 138
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2012 9:21:40 AM

And if you can point me to all these specific points and I will address them as best I can. :)

I have already done so. Read the debate, review the materials that I suggest. I see no need to repeat myself.
 CressB
Msg: 139
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2012 9:38:32 AM

I was responding to the most recent post so I think it would be relevant.

Ah I see. Sience it was my comment that lead you to this thread in the first place, I assumed you would be responding to the debate I was referring you to.

If that is your rationalle, then every single comment on this thread that is a response to the last comment they see is automatically irrelevant. If you would like me to spend all day reaing through the entire thread and mount a response to every single comment made then I don't think that's reasonable. Thats why I've agreed to compromise with you and address these "specific points" you have mentioned. So bring em on. :)

So I guess I'll be repeating myself after all.

Taken from "The Zeitgeist Movement" thread:

There has just recently been a discussion about the matter, which is probably why no one is answering you, everyone is probably disinterested in the subject.

You can find this discussion on thread page #3 in the "what would a perfect world look like" thread, linked below.

<a href="http://forums.plentyoffish.com/15292654datingPostpage4.aspx">http://forums.plentyoffish.com/15292654datingPostpage4.aspx</a>

The discussion consists of the following posts:

90, 91, 95, 96, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 109, 110, 112, 114, 115, 117, 118, 119, 120, 127, 128, 129, 160, 161, 162, 166.

?
 CressB
Msg: 140
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2012 10:19:37 AM

Now, if you can refine and condense your core arguments against the train of thought that arrives at an RBE, not anything about TVP, I'm not affiliated with them, and present them, I will address them.

Ok, setting aside the numerous points on the subject, that I have already made, at the moment sacristy is a fact. How do you propose to move from scarcity to abundance? And please, do take into accout that we are talking about providing equaly for more than seven billion people.
 CressB
Msg: 141
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2012 11:40:23 AM
That's a fair enough point, and I notice you made one similar to this early on in the thread. Essentially saying "That's all well and good, but how does that help us NOW?" I can empathise with the frustration and impatience you may or may not be feeling.

What?!?! I have made no such statements. I have, infact, argued that abundance cannot be achived while retaining the current state of advanced technology.

I have not read the rest of your post and quite honestly I am not sure that I want to. You have criticized me as, making no relevant points, in what I have witten (which couldn't be further from the truth), you have down played me as nothing more than a Stephan groupie, when most of my arguments have nothing to do with Stefan's ideas at all, and you have wined about the lingth of my posts, stating that there is to much to read and respond to, oh, woe is me, and you seem to insist on aproaching the discussion with me as though I were a child - not to mention name dropping, like I care, to put it a PG level for this forum. This all smacks of dishonesty in the extreme. Unless you are willing to respond to the points I have already made in this thread, about the infeasiblity of archiving abundance then I am through with you.
 aremeself
Msg: 142
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2012 3:25:56 PM

this one, with better weather, and not a single jerk in it.....or at least a perfect way to deal with said jerk.

and also no death and other bad things, of course.
 KWurx
Msg: 143
Posted: 12/31/2012 5:21:17 AM
A perfect world would require humanity to embrace a hive mentality where humanity as a whole would be the 'queen bee'. The social element would need to have been perfected in that we all follow the same set of morals with little to no deviation. In this case family wouldn't be so 'personal' as it is now. You'd still have what you'd call your immediate family but what we refer to as strangers now would be considered part of the 'family tree'. All of the adults would become the parents or more appropriately, the teachers. This way responsibility would fall on humanity as a whole. The rest would fall in place.

Too bad it's never going to happen.
 ladywilltravel
Msg: 144
Posted: 3/18/2013 2:51:25 PM
No sorrow, sadness or pain, plenty of sunshine, lollipops and rainbows. A perfect world is in the perception of each individual. At anytime, there are those that think they live in a perfect world and those who fantasize of a perfect world. No two people will ever agree 100% on a perfect place and individual interpretations vary from time to time. That is why the world is about as perfect as possible. Hitler wanted a perfect race, of course, the perfect race would have lived in an imperfect world. I can not imagine anything more boring than a uniformly structured perfect world.
 Proteaus
Msg: 145
Posted: 3/21/2013 4:04:26 PM
Change from a profit driven system to a resource driven system . Some will state we are in a resource driven society but we are not. We are in a system where there is manufactured scarcity in order to maximize profits. As long as everything is profit driven , nothing will be done to fix the mess that the profit driven society has created . War , pollution ,human rights , are all profit driven . Figure it would cost 40 billion a year to provide people in poverty worldwide with basic human needs ,but there is no profit , hence , let them starve .While 1% owns 40% of everything , pretty disgusting .
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > What would a perfect world look like?