Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Richard_of_York
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Things that should not be posted as a status on Facebook? Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Considering that Facebook statuses are public, you shouldn't post anything you wouldn't want to broadcast to the whole world, particularly if you use your real name. Whereas this is a closed community (albeit anyone can join) and under pseudonyms.
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Things that should not be posted as a status on Facebook?
Posted: 5/20/2012 7:00:57 AM
FB has become boring now ( to me ), seems each time i log on, the place is like a juke box with everyone posting youtube music vids, and no one ( or very few) actually talking. hardly any other activity... not long before i end up logging off again for a few days :O)
 soverncomfort
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/20/2012 8:43:02 AM
hmmm ....I tend to have an off the wall sense of humour and also like a rant about whats going on in the world every now and then. I never used to care what I put ...it was my way of spouting off. And most of my friends enjoy my statuses and seem to find them entertaining which is nice. Have some good old banter sometimes.

I do occasionally get into bother at work and I guess thats where you have to be careful. Fb is just a bit of fun and shouldnt be taken too seriously, at least in my world. As someone said though the 'every minute of the day what I'm doing statuses' are pretty dull ....but then I will find some way of making the status more entertaining with some witicism. It's all about the humour ;-)
 soverncomfort
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/20/2012 8:48:34 AM
oh .....and for anyone moaning about mums and their babies, people and horoscopes or whatever. I occasionally get that. Anyone who moans at me posting too much or whatever, will get blocked ....no more moaning. If you dont like what you're seeing you can hide that persons stuff from appearing .....beats whining about it. I mean, its fb thats all.
 joanne85
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 5/21/2012 5:37:55 AM
I noticed the cover picture privacy - or lack of - quite quickly and it is now set to something very bland. However, my profile is super private and you wont find me if you search for me. An approach i took due to my career! I use mine for really mundane boring stuff that i cant imagine makes it worth being my friend! I do have lots of pics of my daughter on there - again, super private - but thats more for family who have moved away and dont get to see her much.

IMO its the constant posts about everyday life that get old really fast, or the really personal posts about things that you wouldnt even discuss with your family. One of my recent updates reads 'really do not understand people who write ridiculously personal stuff all over the internet and then continuously post links to them!! Invest in a journal ffs, nobody cares!!!!' which i think sums up my opinion on that! Lol
 gemini_lady_uk
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2012 2:54:01 AM
I was really surprised watching a program the other night about fraud scams. They actually got evidence that helped convict suspects.

Scam was - car stops suddenly for no reason, bus runs into back of it, pickup truck quickly takes broken car away, car driver claims huge compensation.

Via Facebook, they found out that the car driver, bus driver and pickup truck driver all knew each other, which they had all previously denied. FB evidence gave police enough info to get a court order to check phone records and they had all been in contact frequently immediately prior to the 'accident' All 3 were charged.
 Bookbelle
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 6/6/2012 3:30:50 AM
I had a friend who spent ALL his time on facebook, then constantly moaned about not wanting to be updated about stuff. And yet, when I suggested that if he didn't want to be updated about stuff he actually switch of facebook and live real life, *I* was supposedly the one in the wrong?
Note, HAD a friend. I have since "unfriended" him.

To be honest, I don't like it when all someone does on facebook is moan about their day.
"Back to work tomorrow, urgh!"
"Another crappy day at work..."
"I'm bored..."
"So much work to do! Stressed!"
"Hungover... AGAIN"
I can understand every once in a while, if you have a real problem. But every day? What makes you think I want to see whiney status updates ALL the time? Negativity just brings the mood down.
At work, people comment that I'm always smiling and positive and happy. Well, yes... because if I grump and snap and moan, it makes me feel lousy, and has a negative affect on the people I work with.

I've been having a facebook cull this week. It kind of shocked me, to be honest, to realise how many people I've kept on out of politeness. Friends of friends, or people I went to school with years ago, or people from halls at uni. People who hardly said 2 words to me in all that time, and people who, if I turned up to a party tomorrow, wouldn't even say hi to me. (Even people who when I DID turn up to a party at uni, smiled at me once and then turned back to their friends. What was I thinking?!)
I'd been working on the delusion that I couldn't "unfriend" these people, because it would be rude, and what if they got offended? :O But this week I got to thinking... nah. If they were really the sort of person who cared about being deleted off my facebook, they would have spoken to me.

Taboos?
Well... I tend not to put photos of people up on facebook without their permission. I mean, if I'm on a night out with friends and they ASK me to put the photos up, fine. But I'm especially careful with photos of children. (Some parents, quite reasonably, don't want photos of their kids on the internet.) I asked my aunt's permission to put up a photo of her and her kids from a family wedding, even though she was fine with it and already had photos of her children on her page.
I don't talk about work on facebook. Yes, my page is set to private, but there are apparently ways that employers/potential employers could get round that. Besides, I think ****ing about your job on Facebook is rather unprofessional. (Just my opinion.)
 Mr_Nationwide
Msg: 42
Posted: 6/22/2012 1:50:31 PM
Over in my country, there's girls who posted a guy's name on their status update of who or whom they got a crush on.
Is that anybodys concern? Really? That same guy who see that and dont' want to be around that same girl who posted the status. A crush on someone is suppose to be a secret and tell that person about that, and nobody eise.
I guess you guys can call that "Rubbish", right?
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >