Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Jo van
Msg: 5
The north south divide on povertyPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
I remembered reading this a while ago, it took me ages to find it.
It's quite shocking, and very sad.

Chris is 10. He and his brother are so malnourished that their skins are pale and they have rings under their eyes. Their older brothers have such an unhealthy diet that they have lost their adult teeth. They live in the sixth-richest city in the world – London. The boys are just four among thousands of Britain's hungry children – victims of a "silent epidemic" of malnutrition in the capital and beyond.
[..]
Amy, 20: "I was so hungry I would even chip bits of brick off the wall and eat those"

"When I was little I was very thin and was very embarrassed about it. I had developed a tummy ache which attached itself to eating and stress, which I believe was something I inherited from my mother's stress around not having enough food.

"I would wake up starving in the night but there would be no more food. When I went to people's houses their parents would make as much food as possible for me and more for me to take home.

"At my best friend's house I would fill up on dog biscuits in between meals. I would wait at my garden fence and ask passers-by for sweets or food. I would even chip bits of brick off the wall and eat those. When I lived on my own and on the streets I would spend days walking around London, hoping to be able to find or steal some food. I would look in every bin and on every bit of the floor."

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/look-back-in-hunger-britains-silent-scandalous-epidemic-7622363.html
Don't kid yourself that it's not happening here.

I can't remember exactly how many Billionaires now live in the UK., but a lot.
It's difficult for me to understand why there should be either extreme here.
regardless of geography.
 Richard_of_York
Msg: 6
view profile
History
The north south divide on poverty
Posted: 5/22/2012 2:14:50 PM

London and the South East pay in most of the tax ...

True-ish (they pay more per person, for sure, I doubt it's 50% of the whole UK but it's certainly disproportionate to area or population).

... and the government distribute it on the basis of need UK wide

Not true at all, capital spending is almost entirely concentrated on the south-east (for example, Crossrail, Heathrow Terminal 5, Olympic upgrades, the Dome ... I can't think of any major capital projects centrally funded outside London apart from HS2, which is a London-to-somewhere, and bit-part road upgrades elsewhere), and welfare is distributed evenly where it's needed but again London takes a huge slice of that pie, particularly in housing benefit.
 Sugra66
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 6/6/2012 10:52:37 AM

wonders how a northerner would last in the south after paying £3.75 for a pint!
and 1.50 for a bag of chips!

I live in the north (near Newcastle) and my local chippy is £1.50 for a bag of chips and I paid £3.50 for a pint on Monday in a local pub - town prices are even more.
 stonecastle
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2012 4:12:31 AM
London despite its wealth has got some of the poorest areas in the country. The boroughs of Tower Hamlets, Lambeth, Southwark, Lewisham, Hackney, Walthem Forest, Newham and Harringay for example all have areas with very high levels of deprivation often just yards away from extreme wealth.

The north south divide is a myth as poverty is not just about low income but about ability to afford rents. In London for example a low income family would be faced with a massive rent bill which would eat up half their income. While in the north a low income family would only have to spend a quarter or less of their income on rent.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >