Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Jo van
Msg: 21
Gut instinctPage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
@Msg:34
My "gut instinct" is telling me you've pulled!
Msg 33 seems a little like a woman scorned, desperate for your attentions, and now resorting to the customary 'pulling of pigtails' to gain it.

Oh, no wait....*parp*
It was just 'trapped wind'.
Better out than in eh.?

Why do dogs sh1t everywhere..?
Is that "gut instinct"..?
Or is it "acting impulsively"..?
Or a little of both..?
 Jo van
Msg: 22
Gut instinct
Posted: 6/2/2012 8:47:29 AM

I see you are continuing to live up to your sleazy reputation on here...

One does one's best, what what.....

it is not me who would wish to make bedfellows out of all the posters on this forum..I'm not that vain or egotistical, needy or so intolerably destitute of love and affection from real life people that I would resort to your kind of Machiavellian machinations in order to elicit a laugh at someone else's expense or to engender 'love' by licking the ar$e off people you perceive vulnerable and desperate enough that they would reciprocate.

Madam, I can assure you there was no attempted reciprocal rectal lickisitation. (for others: that too, is negotiable, but, as discussed elsewhere, you'll need a Karcher jetwash, and a large bottle of Domestos, in 'creme' form )
Neither do I perceive you as at all "vulnerable".

I think your rather b1tchy tetchy backside has the answer to that ...oh supreme troll...it's a marvel you haven't got one of your consorts to report my post already..or one of your fake profiles - have you developed some kind of a conscious?

Hilarious!
I have no other profiles." Supreme" is high praise indeed, coming from you!
Though I do seem to have developed some sort of couscous..

BTW...I find it interesting that I've not actually disagreed with your own view of what a gut instinct pertains to be, yet you would wish to antagonise me regardless...shouldn't you be congratulating me on thinking alike with you instead of being so catty....how odd you are.

If I were to go around "congratulating" everyone who hadn't commented on my posts, in the deluded belief that this somehow equated to them agreeing with me, now that would be truly odd! (IMO)
I wasn't "being catty", I was being "doggy".
Having displayed your own unsolicited propensities regarding anal hygiene, I would have thought you'd be in full support of that position...
Don't shoot the messenger, I truly wish you all the best in your quest.
I wasn't trying to 'queer your pitch', I think it's lovely.
This is after all, a dating site.
I shall buy a hat. (something with 'bobbles' I think, would be appropriate)

Back on Topic. (Actually... do you like 'Topics'..?)

Would "touching cloth" be a "gut instinct"..?
I think we should all listen to our guts.
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Gut instinct
Posted: 6/5/2012 3:21:24 AM
I dont much go for the gut instinct thing, i like what i like,

though if my gut tells me i`m hungry....then i must feed it :O)
 lovepassionx
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Gut instinct
Posted: 6/5/2012 9:11:48 AM
Your unconscious mind constantly scans the world around you looking for danger, it's hardwired into your mind as an evolutionary survival trait. Women have a better sense of intuition than men because in pre history which makes up 95% of the time we have been around the women had to be very aware of their environment while the men were out hunting. Subtle changes in the environment were noticed and acted upon and we still have that ability now. Have you ever just "known" that the car in front of you is just about to change lane? Subtle body language cues called the "ideomotor effect" are magnified by the cars steering mechanism and picked up as a potential hazard. Or how about in a busy,noisy bar you hear your name mentioned at the other side of the room? Your unconscious is monitoring everything in the bar but lets you know when something important happens; ie your name mentioned. Ever been stood in a bar looking at someone you fancy? Look down and see which way one of your feet are pointing...it's a subtle cue that the other person can pick up on.
The reason your DNA is still about now is the "gut feeling" something was wrong when their unconscious detected the sabretooth tiger footprint in the grass. What about "chemistry" your'e unconsciously picking up micro gestures of attraction from the other person and your mirror neurons are sending them back which releases oxytocin inducing pheromones into the air in a feedback loop.

Your unconscious is a supercomputer working in the background ready to give you intuition when it feels the need.
Hows this for remembering something on the tip of your tongue (known to unconscious but not conscious) set your phone to predictive text and without looking at the key board just type random letters into the keypad. Must of us text unconsciously and do it without thinking so more times than not your answer will be found on the screen when you've finished.
 Jo van
Msg: 31
Gut instinct
Posted: 6/8/2012 12:41:03 PM
it seems my sister knew the moment it happened, not quite what happened exactly but knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was in distress and that he needed her.

While I'm not doubting that your sister may have had those feelings, at that time, as with all such anecdotal evidence, (and that's all there ever is), what we don't hear about, is the 7,964 other case of women who had similar feelings at exactly the same moment, which turned out to be completely unfounded.

It's the same with "predictions" too, they claim accuracy, but if you 'google "Failed predictions", there are some excellently funny examples. (eg. "Clairvoyants" often make a list of "predictions", at the start of each New Year)
What your sister experienced, was that "Even a stopped clock, is right twice a day" syndrome.

Women have panic attacks about their offspring all the time, that's perfectly natural. I can't remember the exact number of times we left functions early, because she "couldn't relax", but there were many (With our first child, the second was a little easier, and less neurotic)

we were totally enraptured and dare I say completely enamoured by this god like creature - talk about having a great bedside manner!!

The only time I ever felt like that before, as in feeling so over awed in the presence of such greatness was when I saw Pope John Paul II at the Phoenix Park.

Again, there's a perfectly rational explanation, the "rapture" you felt, on both occasions, was entirely 'self-induced'. A form of 'self-hypnosis' if you like.

Some people are more 'suggestible' than others.
That's why stage hypnotists are always very selective, and 'screen' volunteers, to find such suitable individuals.

The human brain can be 'fooled' easily. Either (subconsciously) by yourself, or by third parties, or other external influences. (See: Subliminal messages)

As a measuring device, our "senses" are notoriously unreliable. (As the great many failed relationships here will attest. )
We're fooled easily by optical or auditory 'hallucinations' (with or without the aid of substances!)

Tell yourself something repeatedly, and you can easily believe it to be true.

Sometimes, this is called "positive thinking", and can be very beneficial. (The 'Placebo Effect is well documented)
Other times, it can be quite destructive, as in "Psycho-Somatic" illnesses, with very real and damaging symptoms.
(eg. "He died of a broken heart" etc)

Science is separating the 'woo-woo' , the superstitions, and myth, from reality.

Msg 51:
I agree entirely. A much more plausible explanation.

Jo van
Msg: 36
Gut instinct
Posted: 6/13/2012 7:09:32 AM

A mother’s anxiety is natural but when you disproportionately equate motherly anxiety to “panic attacks” and refer to it as “neurotic”, then my gut instincts tell me her anxiety could have been eased if you were more in touch with yours .... you could have put her mind at rest a bit more.

Without going into too much detail M., when the first was very young, we simply didn't go out.
And later, at a few months old, she would only trust her mother to babysit, and even then, she couldn't 'relax', and we'd often leave early, because of that. That's probably a common enough story, for new mothers I suspect. No amount of reassurance from me, would change it, though, believe me, I did try.

According to the well known left-brain, right-brain dominance theory, people whose right side of their brain has a tendency to dominate their thinking seem to be better at expressing feelings, acting on intuition and are generally known as the creative sort. Those whose left brain would appear to dominate their thinking are better at logic, reasoning, language and critical thinking. You can train your brain though... for example, if you work in an area which requires you to apply logic and the right side of your brain is the dominant side, you might initially struggle… but your brain will grow accustomed to using the weaker side and eventually mould itself accordingly. However, if you are doing a job that requires a great deal of logic but you are inclined towards right-brain thinking, you'd probably be miserable at doing such a job.

Perhaps my own disagreement with that theory, is biased, because I've always liked both.
When I was at school, I had to drop Art, in favour of the sciences, because the curriculum at the time, didn't allow both.
I feel I might have done better at school, had that not been the case. I've always enjoyed the creative arts, and have dabbled in a few, but I have always also had a fascination with science, and physics, and have spent the majority of my working life, as an engineer. Unsurprisingly, Leonardo Da Vinci is a great 'hero' of mine.

Also, what happens in cases of severe brain-trauma, (including strokes, like my late dad had) and the 'rewiring' that takes place during recovery.? Half of his brain was killed off during the stroke, and yet he retained all of his memories, still spoke two languages fluently, and with no discernable alterations in his personality.
There are also some cases where surgeons have separated the two halves, to reduce epilepsy etc.

Basically, I feel the "left/right" explanations for 'types of personality', to be far too simplistic.
I think people are miserable doing their jobs, for a whole host of reasons, the main one being, that they "have to".
(so politics, really...)

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >