Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 joanne85
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Criminals and a new start??Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
The boys who were killed in this crash lived quite near to me so it was a huge story locally.

I certainly think that at 24 he knew the consequences of his actions. I also think as a footballer he probably felt untouchable as is often the way some or most footballers seem to act. I think what potentially makes the story worse in some peoples opinions - including mine - is that this man was about to become a father when this happened, and has since had day releases to visit his family. Whilst its not for me to pass judgement on whether justice or not was served, i think it is very wrong for the football club to even consider taking him back on. For many young kids football players are role models and by putting this man back in the limelight in this role there is a message being sent that not only is it ok to drink and drive, kill 2 children and seriously and permanently injure the father, but the consequences are rather minimal compared to those of the family and friends of those 2 boys.
 ControlledFolly
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Criminals and a new start??
Posted: 5/24/2012 5:06:38 PM
He was playing for my team at the time, and was well known locally, everyone agreed that he deserved his punishment etc that is not up for debate.

I think it really depends on what he does next, if he gets a second chance then i would like to think that he will use this for a higher pupose than a footballers life.
He was very talented and was touted as a future england player and was watched by some very big teams, his talent is without question as the opportunity for him to focus this talent ina positive way and using his expereince to raise awareness of this crucial issue, and raise considerable funds for worthy causes in this area.

If he can do this and dedicate his life to it, then i think he can redeem himself and should be given the chance to do this. On the other hand if he fails to do this then i think he deserves every ounce of scorn that comes his way and i hope his conscience gets the better of him. Death of others is not an easy thing to live with.

Of course opinions that he should suffer much more for his actions are valid and i would expect the victims family and friends to disagree with me here, but there is a real opportunity to turn a negative into a positive and that should be explored.

Even sex offenders get a second chance at life, should comparitve morality get in the way of a change for the higher good?
 Richard_of_York
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2012 1:42:25 PM
Once you've done your time (and that includes getting early release or whatever other mechanism is in place to shorten sentences), you should be allowed back into normal society, and that means getting a job again and working for a living. If you happen to be a footballer, why shouldn't you take another job playing football?

You can make an argument that you should spend more than 4 years out of society for what McCormick did, but that's not his fault, and it's not right to ostracise him permanently because you don't agree with sentencing guidelines.

And I agree with Robin that it's extremely unlikely that McCormick will drink and drive again.

ed: oops let's spell his name correctly
 Richard_of_York
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2012 3:43:48 PM
In the highly hypothetical scenario where I had a daughter of dateable age (that's a long way off I assure you! haha) then I'd let her judge him on his merits, like anybody else.

We don't want a US style situation where you are branded a criminal for life.

I agree with Pandora that it would be nice if he used his semi-public role (honestly playing for Swindon Town is hardly role model territory :P) to publicise why drink-driving is bad ("Don't make the same mistake I did" kind of thing). But I don't think he has any obligation to do so, he's been punished for what he did and it shouldn't hang over him for life.
 jaqi
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2012 5:18:22 PM
When a person gets sentenced to imprisonment 12 months and over he will serve at least half of that sentence, possibly being released at the quarter way point on tag (home detention curfew) The halfway point isn't early release for good behaviour, they will be released with conditions that they have to adhere to. If they break those conditions they will be returned to prison for either a 28 day fixed term or statutory until the parole board sits and decides how long of the remaining sentence that person will have to serve. The conditions are very strict, for example, they only have to miss one probation appointment, even through no fault of their own and they are back inside.

Someone mentioned even sex offenders can get a job and lead a normal life .... that might be so if they haven't had their case splashed over the papers. They mess their life up totally when they commit those type of offences.

As for Luke, I do hope for everyones sake that he has felt some remorse and never drives while under the influence again.
 jaqi
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2012 5:09:33 PM

A friend of mine got a suspended sentence with tagging for 3 months
I think you will find that the fact your friend was given a suspended sentence maybe had something to do with him not getting a custodial after breaking the tagging rules. I know ... for a fact ... that those who have had a custodial sentance who get released under licence conditions get sent back to prison for missing probation appointments and any other licence condition. They are licence revokees and there are plenty of them in prison!

I agree with you that we as tax payers, more often than not, pay more out getting justice than their sentence is worth. The systems sucks !
 soverncomfort
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/27/2012 1:05:58 PM
Well pandora ....I am fed up to the back teeth of footballers giving the sport a bad name with their high and mighty attitude ....the drink and drugs, rapes and big time charlie arrogance of them all. Heightened often by John Terry's attitude and the fact that as a star footballer he often gets let off and continues to play for England, etc etc. .....and then recently Ched Evans of Sheffield United was convicted of rape while his team mates accused the girl concerned of being a tramp and a whore.

So to the original point, he should serve his sentence and probably a longer one. I think the charge of manslaughter should be reserved for genuine accidents. If you are driving while under the influence, you knowingly have the potential to kill ....and to me that is murder, not premeditated maybe, but still murder.

He doesn't deserve a second chance ....for all Swindon Chairman talking crap about the victim, all they were concerned about was getting a half decent player to play for them. No morals atall.
 soverncomfort
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/27/2012 1:07:38 PM
sorry I say 'them all' ....I meant a large number of them. Mustn'y generalise.
 ZXTTTT
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 5/27/2012 2:08:10 PM
My opinion may sound harsh to some, but he chose to drive while drunk, lost control, and killed 2 children. He, and any one ells who causes death by drunken driving should be tryed for murder. It's a shame that none of his friends thought enough of him to stop him driving in the first place.
 Whitey5.10.74
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 6/5/2012 5:43:03 AM

The rehabilitation of offenders act 1974 was supposed to allow former offenders to wipe the slate clean so to speak by having offences considered as spent after a certain time period (usually five years) . However the emergence of the CRB check has effectively put the kybosh on that.
Five years is for a non custodial sentence such as a fine, community service etc. A prison sentence of anything up to 2 and a half years will become spent after 10 years. Any sentence of more than 2.5 years will never be spent, it will always need to be declared.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >