Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Motorcylces and dating      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Blackout478
Msg: 26
Motorcylces and dating Page 2 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
I ride fast and ride hard. I spend every weekend customizing my bike. If a female is going to judge me on a bike that is my hobby and passion then good riddens. I don't ask her to give up her makeup, so don't ask me to give up my bike. I get women who ask to take them on a ride, but I won't do it because I don't want to be in control of somebody else's life incase something happens.
 Paderic
Msg: 27
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/25/2012 11:59:21 AM
The fact that I own a motorcycle does not mean I expect a woman I'm dating to get on the back. To the contrary, I hate riding two up. It changes the physics. Plus, I don't have a collection of helmets in varying sizes to fit a potential passenger. (Even though Michigan just repealed their mandatory helmet law, I wear one and would not allow a passenger on my bike without one.)
 purfectmeow
Msg: 28
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/25/2012 12:04:02 PM
^ Ditto on the helmet deal, and I have a no passenger rule. Too many people are plain dangerous.
Im bad enough by myself :)
 RedDelPaPa
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/25/2012 12:07:43 PM
What about a motocross racer? The original extreme sport. Extremely physically and mentally demanding. I think it gives off a good vibe because I think women innately know that you have to be physically and mentally tough as nails to compete at a high level. Most dirt bikers have very attractive women by their sides.
 GodsChild750
Msg: 30
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/25/2012 4:43:03 PM
I dont' think so.. I actually prefer not to date a guy that has a motorcycle. My ex had a bike and I was always worried about him when he was riding it. They are very dangerous. So many people get killed or disabled riding them.
 d2327h
Msg: 31
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/25/2012 4:52:02 PM
A girl either likes them or she doesn't. For some it may give an edge and for others it would be a turn off.
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/25/2012 5:25:18 PM

Why would you not date somebody, because they enjoy riding a motorcyle?

the potential for injury. i wouldn't date a woman who rode, because i don't want to get the call that some texting yahoo in a car splattered the love of my life across six lanes of freeway traffic.

but then, i'm a middle-age dude, and the variables weigh differently for young people.
 Paderic
Msg: 33
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/25/2012 5:43:17 PM
i wouldn't date a woman who rode, because i don't want to get the call that some texting yahoo in a car splattered the love of my life across six lanes of freeway traffic.

That could happen regardless of your SO's choice of vehicle. The odds are significantly higher for a motorcyclist, but they are not zero for occupants of automobiles.

If I drive 30 miles in my car for every mile I ride, my odds of dying in an accident are about even for the two.

About 22,000 people per year die in car accidents in the US, about 4,500 in motorcycle accidents.
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/25/2012 5:49:21 PM

That could happen regardless of your SO's choice of vehicle. The odds are significantly higher for a motorcyclist, but they are not zero for occupants of automobiles.

of course. the crux of the issue is the calculation of the risks.
 Paderic
Msg: 35
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/25/2012 5:51:42 PM
of course. the crux of the issue is the calculation of the risks.

Since more than half of all fatal motorcycle accidents are single vehicle accidents in which the motorcyclist exceeded their ability to ride, one can mitigate much of the risk through training and riding style.

Young men with high powered bikes and novice fifty plus year olds on big, heavy cruisers are especially vulnerable.
 ravenhair4u
Msg: 36
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/25/2012 6:04:36 PM
Sometimes Harley guys present themselves as very confident & cool. It may appeal to some because it's something new, exciting & different. Riding in a group is fun, & you feel special, like you are part of a unique group. You meet lots of new people, & can make new friends. Sometimes it gets wild & you feel like kind of a bad girl. Sometimes you feel like you're in a family. If an outsider disrespects you, the whole club will jump in to protect you. Being female, if you're riding with the right people you feel safe & protected by all these biker guys around you.
However, there can be a dangerous down side. After riding my own Harley for 8 years, being allowed to ride as a guest on a regular basis with 2 different clubs, I've seen it all. These girls who are desperate to ride & don't know the reality of the biker world. Depending on who you are riding with, there are often many stops at multiple bars, and it can be very dangerous without adding alcohol. Some expect you to have sex with them if they give you a ride. Others openly demand sex before you are allowed to ride on the back, & these girls want to ride so bad, they comply. I've seen some trusting ladies get left behind, far away from home, by a guy they trusted. They find themselves stranded because the guy got mad at her, or if the date wasn't going well, or when he figured it out he wasn't getting laid. Some are stupid jerks that can't ride very well, get drunk & show no regard for the safety & well being to their passenger. They ride so fast, 90 mph, with no helmets, etc. They are very dangerous to everyone on the road. I bought my own bike so I didn't have to deal with thedangerous, speeding, drunk jerks trying to get sex to ride.
 egowitch
Msg: 37
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/25/2012 6:09:46 PM
For women that like motorcycles - MAYBE it might give SOME men an edge.

But having a motorcycle does not automatically make someone "hip, fun, or cool" . Lots of very different kinds of people happen to ride motorcycles !

I'm a long time rider myself - so it's nice if the man I'm with rides, as it's something very pleasant to share - but I have certainly been with men that don't ride.

As long as they're accepting of bikes in general - it's ok with me whether they ride - or not.

And by the way, don't kid yourself ... if you travel on public roads in or on anything - there are inherent risks. It's the operator of the vehicle (or bicycle, or scooter etc) , that very much determines the level of safety.

Some folks seem destined to get into trouble no matter what they're doing !
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 38
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/25/2012 6:11:57 PM
We like it or not but riding a bike the chances or being in a fatal accident is much higher. Lack of fenders and bumpers would do that . But the rush and feel of riding sure makes it worth it. As it said dont dress for the ride dress for the slide.
Yes riding is a passion for me.
 larissan04
Msg: 39
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/25/2012 7:09:38 PM
i think motorcycles are rather rather blue collar, but of course, i've known men that are professionals that are into them, too. personally, i don't like motorcycles because i've lost way too many friends to those things...and i would hate to lose the love of my life to a motorcycle accident. i also don't like the whole biker look, or biker culture. it's just not my thing. the leather clad rocker look, tattoos, the boots, and especially the hyper masculine swagger. it's all rather a turn off. i may find it tacky, but hey, to each his own...if that is what your into, whatever...oh yeah, i don't think morotcycles make a guy look "cool," either.
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/25/2012 7:31:18 PM

Since more than half of all fatal motorcycle accidents are single vehicle accidents in which the motorcyclist exceeded their ability to ride, one can mitigate much of the risk through training and riding style.

i skipped the effort of ascertaining competency and dated women who didn't ride.

And by the way, don't kid yourself ... if you travel on public roads in or on anything - there are inherent risks.

injury and fatality statistics show the risks are far from equal. no self-delusion involved in that.
http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/pedbimot/motorcycle/NAMS2006/pages/Overview.html
 Debyduz_
Msg: 41
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/26/2012 5:13:52 AM
Last time I was on POF I had a rant in my profile about not liking motorcycles. I know I don't like them because of my first BF. He used to try and dump me of the back if I didn't keep my arms around him. He also leaned the bike into my leg because I got off the wrong side. That was the worst burn ever. Mostly I am just not into taking rides for no reason all the time.

I took all that stuff out of my profile because I decided I don't want to focus on what I don't want. I don't even click on profiles if I see a motorcycle. So I don't think they make a guy a cool.
 TC2u
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/26/2012 5:41:41 AM
Up till I found this thread, I didn't know character was associated with motorcyclists. I always thought they were enjoyable, didn't know they came with a stigma.
 TC2u
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/26/2012 5:44:00 AM
I've ridden them all my life, guess I started midlife early, according to some of these post. I've never been in a club, don't wear the apparel, hell I don't even drink. Some biker I make.
 ravenhair4u
Msg: 44
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/26/2012 5:47:36 AM
He used to try and dump me of the back if I didn't keep my arms around him. He also leaned the bike into my leg because I got off the wrong side. That was the worst burn ever. Mostly I am just not into taking rides for no reason all the time.

OMG! He was a cruel, abusive, sociopath! What he did to you was horrific! Thank God you didn't get thrown off the back, he could have killed you! Those pipes are incredibly hot. He was mean & sadistic to burn you, he couldn't just give you a friendly reminder before you got off the bike? You are much better off without that loser, he's probably torturing cats right now, & pulling the wings off of flies! He has a lot of bad Karman coming his way...
 mjinict
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/26/2012 7:07:19 AM
The 3 wheeled cycles look relatively safe.
 Paderic
Msg: 46
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/26/2012 7:25:20 AM
injury and fatality statistics show the risks are far from equal. no self-delusion involved in that.
http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/pedbimot/motorcycle/NAMS2006/pages/Overview.html

Nobody has said the risks are equal. However, the fatality rate is about 30 per 100 million vehicle miles traveled. Some of us think that is an acceptable risk for the enjoyment of riding, especially when you factor out those involving alcohol and other forms of stupidity.

Who you choose to date makes no difference to me whatsoever. You can use any criteria you want. I just think you're overstating the risk here.

I know I don't like them because of my first BF. He used to try and dump me of the back if I didn't keep my arms around him. He also leaned the bike into my leg because I got off the wrong side. That was the worst burn ever. Mostly I am just not into taking rides for no reason all the time.

I see this type of argument all the time on this site. It is ridiculous to blame everyone who rides a motorcycle for the behavior of one individual.
 catfa51
Msg: 47
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/26/2012 7:29:05 AM
IT does give some guys an edge, no doubt! I've had women flat out refuse to go on a second date because I don't own a bike. Oh well....
 mjinict
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/26/2012 10:13:08 AM
I know they can be fun but I'm more cautious the older I get. You can be the most experienced but cannot control actions of other drivers. I'd rather have the metal around me than vice-versa.
 larissan04
Msg: 49
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/26/2012 10:14:53 AM
catfa51

"IT does give some guys an edge, no doubt! I've had women flat out refuse to go on a second date because I don't own a bike. Oh well...."

An edge? I don't know, I think a very immature, naive, and delusional woman in her early 20s might be looking for a guy with an "edge," but as a grown woman talking here, I'd rather the guy out grow the edge by his early 20s. I don't know about other women, but I find that such a turn off - macho, faux rebellion, hyper masculinity. It comes across as so fake and insecure. When guys walk around with a swagger like they think they are cool, or "the man" I find it very unappealing. A lot of musicians have this sort of "bad boy" swagger, and even though I've been a musician my whole life, spent years around musicians, I never found this poser bravado very appealing. I'll take a professional man in a nice suit over a leather clad, tattoed, pierced, musician-biker guy with an edge any day of the week.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 50
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/26/2012 10:45:20 AM

Seems to me many woman think a guy with a bike is somehow hip, fun, cool etc ..So does owning a motorcycle especially one of those over priced Harley's give a guy the edge as far as dates ? Personally I can think of better things I would rather risk my life doing LOL..Hang gliding for one, or maybe swimming with sharks ?

A Harley is only considered "overpriced" to someone who doesn't wish to own one. And if you don't wish to ride, don't do so. Most of my friends not only ride, but we do all sorts of other "risky" things as well. Sky-diving is very popular amongst most of my close friends. Along with a few that base-jump, desert moto-cross race, one Nascar guy and a number of them are extreme scalers/mountain climbers. A couple scuba and one is obsessed with hunting gators. As long as someone is happy with their life, I judge no one's activities of choice. My SO and I love to ride. The fact he loves to ride didn't give him an "edge" over anyone else. The fact he is somewhat of a gym-rat, loves great food/good wine, is overtly intelligent, funny as hell, family oriented, non-judgmental re: race/religion/culture, open-minded, and we have similar life-goals is what gave him an "edge" so to speak. What he owns? That's just stuff. What he possesses? That's what mattered most to me. JMO
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Motorcylces and dating