Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Motorcylces and dating      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Motorcylces and dating Page 3 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Nobody has said the risks are equal.

that's the implication at post 41.

Some of us think that is an acceptable risk for the enjoyment of riding,

obviously, and what risks you choose to take make no difference to me whatsoever.

riders were five times as likely to suffer a fatal injury as drivers. i think my risk assessment is right on target.
 sgdess60
Msg: 52
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/26/2012 12:13:41 PM
"Not for me. I tend to move straight on from any profile with photos of motorbikes. The flashier it is, and the more poses with the bike, the more I think 'mid life crisis' ..."

gcdeb,

I agree with you, it's right up there with resurrecting the garage band they formed in the 70's. Or car racing.

My delicate sensibilities don't appreciate loud, piercing noise, and I don't see myself as a groupie or cheerleader at this age either.
 Paderic
Msg: 53
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/26/2012 12:22:57 PM
that's the implication at post 41.

I disagree. I don't see anything in her post that implies the risk in either activity is greater than, less than, or equal to the other. She just said that the rider plays a significant role in determining how risky it is.

riders were five times as likely to suffer a fatal injury as drivers. i think my risk assessment is right on target.

Actually, I think it's more like thirty times. But thirty times a very small number is still a pretty small number.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from the choices you've made. I'm just trying to offer up a factual discussion on risk instead of hyperbole.

VVV... verygreeneyez, I believe that is from the Hurt report which was conducted in the late 1970s. Most of the points are accurate, but the statistical data has changed with the motorcycles and roadways.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 54
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/26/2012 12:22:59 PM

Taking into consideration the following:
Other notable findings in the Hurt report (quoted below) were:[9]
75% of accidents were found to involve a motorcycle and a passenger vehicle, while the remaining 25% of accidents were single motorcycle accidents.
"In the single vehicle accidents, motorcycle rider error was present as the accident precipitating factor in about two-thirds of the cases, with the typical error being a slide-out and fall due to overbraking or running wide on a curve due to excess speed or under-cornering."
"Almost half of the fatal accidents show alcohol involvement" and "injury severity increases with speed, alcohol involvement and motorcycle size."
In the multiple vehicle accidents, the driver of the other vehicle violated the motorcycle right-of-way and caused the accident in two-thirds of those accidents.
The report's additional findings show that the wearing of appropriate gear, specifically, helmets and durable garment, mitigates crash injuries substantially.
"Vehicle failure accounted for less than 3% of these motorcycle accidents, and most of those were single vehicle accidents where control was lost due to a puncture flat" and "Weather is not a factor in 98% of motorcycle accidents."
"The failure of motorists to detect and recognize motorcycles in traffic is the predominating cause of motorcycle accidents... Conspicuity of the motorcycle is a critical factor in the multiple vehicle accidents, and accident involvement is significantly reduced by the use of motorcycle headlamps-on In daylight and the wearing of high visibility yellow, orange or bright red jackets."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_safety
The percentage of motorcycle accidents by and large are not because of the motorcycle or the motorcycle rider, more so? Passenger vehicle drivers. Personally? In riding as an adult, for the past 30 years? I've not been in ONE motorcycle accident. I have, however, been in 5 auto accidents. Like you say, we as adults can assess our own risk factors and choose accordingly. My son's first near-fatal accident at age 8 (auto/pedestrian.) Second one? Age 17, single car accident. 3rd? Age 23. ATV accident. He was an adult and was wearing proper gear. He died 6 months after that accident. His injuries and subsequent difficulties were sustained as a direct result of doing something he loved. He knew the risks (been riding since about age 8 dirt-bikes and ATVs.) For me? I get some comfort knowing he died as a result of doing something he loved rather than having been hit by some inept passenger vehicle driver or some debilitating disease killing him. But that's just how I view it. JMO
 mjinict
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/26/2012 10:10:29 PM
That is so sad. Sorry for your loss, verygreeneyez.
 Dmaj7
Msg: 56
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/27/2012 7:04:44 AM
An edge? No. But it does help finding compatible women. And it weeds out incompatible women. Women contact me because they love to ride. Most have their own bikes. Some are just happy to be passengers.

I have met many, many motorcycle enthusiasts. Many buy a Harley in their middle ages because that's when they can afford them. They have a love for motorcycles and reward themselves for a life of working hard. Some had a motorcycle when they were younger and had to give it up when the kids and the mortgage came along. Almost all are passionate about riding. And many Harley riders have been riding for decades.

There are some posers. Less than you think. The reason people think there are so many is because there are more judgmental a$$es out there than posers.

Now excuse me I'm going for a ride. With or without your approval.
 TC2u
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/27/2012 7:19:46 AM
Harley... another topic. However, if my pic filters out self righteous, judgemental people, it's a good pic.
 Welsh474
Msg: 58
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/27/2012 10:25:45 AM
Post #61 is bang on. You do what you enjoy, hopefully you'll meet others that share your interests and it's just a pleasant way to enjoy a Sunday ride or month vacation.
 SilverLight
Msg: 59
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/27/2012 11:05:54 AM
I'm not sure if I feel "righteous" by not dating those who own bikes, I just know who not to contact. I consider motorcycle riding suicidal, especially here in LA. Just driving a car is crazy enough.

The "dead fish" thing is hilarious. I've also seen dead deer. I think the guy is just showing you he can provide..seriously! Also ones that I find amusing: leaning against an expensive sportscar, body building poses, sky diving, scuba shots with his mouth wrapped around the breathing tube and his eyes bulging...real sexy. Haha

In any case, they are just trying to find a like minded gal, or showing you his achievements, etc...I get it. It is indeed a "weeding tool."
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 60
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/27/2012 11:21:16 AM
well...

came across a guy who owned not one but six... and it turns out he lived on subsidized housing...

I'm thinking he would have been a little easier to date if he actually decided it was more important where he lived than which ride he would take to which date?

(as for whether I prefer bike or bike-less... for me it is not about the owning or not owning of a motorcycle. I honestly don't care if someone has that or a boat or sportscar or whatever. What resonates with me is if they have a passion for the riding because they love seeing the scenery, people watching in small out of the way towns and like experiencing new things in an open way. I don't care if it's a motorcycle a sportscar or a plain old sedan; th epassion itself is what I appreciate.

So to those who are passionate about riding because of the thrill of seeing the countryside and experieincing it in an open way? Cool. I'm all for them being passionate about it.

But to those who DON'T own a motorcycle? I dont look at them an iota less interesting than those who do. Because they frequently have similar passions; they just choose different vehicles to exercise that particular passion.

They're both great. But I am not even remotely a motorcycle groupie. Though having gone to duluth during a bike convention same time as a soccer mom convention; I can truly say that was the most bizarre people watching I have ever had. Those soccer moms LOVED those biker guys/gals and vice versa... the poor soccer kids were so confused... :)
 knowlesmil
Msg: 61
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/27/2012 11:39:51 PM
I mention a bike on my profile because I would like to find someone who would enjoy riding with me. I suppose like any other interest, it is going to be a turn on/off or neither. I think its just riskier to put bikes over something like hiking cause bikes have a stigma like its macho or badass, so some people may think thats what you're going for.
 kingslayer64
Msg: 62
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/31/2012 5:32:49 AM
Is the risk higher for injury to motorcycle riders or meth users ?

Anybody ? LOL

Look I could care less what others do for fun as long as it didoes effect me .Live in a town where all manor of motorized vehicle is used to get around and bicycles .And some one said 20 g plus is only over priced to someone who doesn't want a Harley ? Or I guess cant afford one ?It has two wheels, no doors, no trunk, and no safety features .

But some how its worth 20 g plus ? Personally they are all over priced .Nothing with two wheels should cost over 2,500 hundred bucks just my opinion .
 kingslayer64
Msg: 63
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/31/2012 5:35:19 AM
TCtu :

" Harley... another topic. However, if my pic filters out self righteous, judgemental people, it's a good pic.:"

You never judge or have opinions of others life style choices right ?
 NotyouraverageD
Msg: 64
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/31/2012 9:53:41 AM
this has to do with a couple of things not the least of which would be a woman's desire to be with a 'bad-boy' and not a nice guy.
if a profile has references to motorcycles or photos taken with them (some women use them as bizarre props) i just move along to the next person.
in spite of what many women say in the wording in their profiles, to me the inclusion of biking and bikers or photos of any of the above is better indicator of what they are really all about than any other single thing.
i feel pretty safe in assuming that most of the women out here has not read 'zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance' and are not yearning for some of the things expressed in that fine book.
women who 'say' they want a nice guy and then pose with harleys or desire 'biking' are liars, plain and simple.
the desire to be with bikers or people who ride harleys is every bit as materialistic as wanting to be with people who drive bmw's or mercedes - it's just a different sort of shallow, materialistic 'status' that is being strived for.
hey ladies - you want a bad boy? just say so and save us all some time.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 65
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/31/2012 10:38:41 AM

women who 'say' they want a nice guy and then pose with harleys or desire 'biking' are liars, plain and simple.

So truly nice guys can't ride? Truly nice guys can't have hobbies that YOU don't like or understand? (You know? A truly nice guy doesn't call complete strangers "liars.")

the desire to be with bikers or people who ride harleys is every bit as materialistic as wanting to be with people who drive bmw's or mercedes - it's just a different sort of shallow, materialistic 'status' that is being strived for.

So? Why does it matter what one is looking for? If you don't fit that criteria, move along to someone who's more what you're looking for.

hey ladies - you want a bad boy? just say so and save us all some time.

WTH is a "bad boy" anyway? That's one of the most over-used yet under-defined cliches on the net. Just once I want some "nice guy" (another seriously over-used/under-defined cliche) to tell us all exactly what a "bad boy" is. Not what he looks like, not what he may own, not what his hobbies are, rather "WHO" is he?

Did it ever seem plausible that women like to ride and own their own over priced harleys? Hangarounds are just that...hangarounds.

Maleman999
Msg: 66
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/31/2012 11:01:49 AM
I think a lot of women are opposed to bike riding because of getting helmet hair and frizzies and don't want air flowing in their face and messing up their make-up. Also, clothing designers haven't come up with sexy, fashionable dresses, skirts, high heels and purses that can be worn while on a motorcycle without looking like an idiot.
 NonamousDog
Msg: 67
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/31/2012 11:28:00 AM
I think that both motorcycles and certain kinds of cars (and pickups) will get a guy some attention from women that he might not otherwise get. And getting women's attention is the necessary first step.

I've never owned a bike, but I have thought about it recently because they are so much cheaper to run than a car, gas-wise, but they are pretty much fair weather transportation. Still thinking......
 InMyOwnTime25
Msg: 68
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/31/2012 12:20:34 PM
I hate motorcycles.. I avoid guys with them because of the personality of most of the guys I've met with motorcycles.. I would rather them walk than have a motorcycle. I'm also afraid to be on one.
 jmark4
Msg: 69
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/31/2012 12:46:32 PM
I'm not into bikes anymore even though I raced dirt bikes in the past, but there is nothing wrong with it.

People need to do their own thing and find people that they relate too. What I dont like is people that try to prove how cool and extreme they are to show off.
 NotyouraverageD
Msg: 70
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/31/2012 2:53:35 PM

So truly nice guys can't ride?

in my business i used to market to bikers and go to bike events. i was in contact with a LOT of bikers, both men and women. i found harley riders to be, closed minded, shallow, aggressively ignorant and remarkably materialistic. a lot of them also didn't take care of themselves, were very overweight and smoked. is this all of them? to be fair - no. perhaps one in 20 would break this stereotype - though those ones almost never rode harleys. when speaking with non-harley riders, they always remarked how exclusive and unfriendly harley riders were to non-harley riders. apparantly just riding isn't enough to be 'cool' to the harley riders - if you ride a non-harley, you aren't cool enough to be in the club.

So? Why does it matter what one is looking for? If you don't fit that criteria, move along to someone who's more what you're looking for.

so you are admitting you are shallow and materialistic? interesting... i just can't even imagine meeting a woman who is nice, attractive and interesting and then deciding because of whatever she drove i wouldn't see her or consider her. and as to moving on to the next profile - that was the first thing i said i do when i see the hells-angels-wannabe-biker-baloney on a profile.

WTH is a "bad boy" anyway? That's one of the most over-used yet under-defined cliches on the net. Just once I want some "nice guy" (another seriously over-used/under-defined cliche) to tell us all exactly what a "bad boy" is.

oh this is a real tough one. everyone listen up:
a 'bad boy' is a guy who doesn't treat you or other people nicely - go to the top of my response to see the details of how bad boys and their women treat other people.
 darwins52
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/31/2012 4:05:26 PM
Motorcycles are great fun, but they are NOT toys and can easily kill you and your new-found girlfriend if you don't know what you're doing. There are very few more dangerous things than a guy on a new Harley trying to impress his date. As a high performance driving instructor for BMW, Porsche and Ferrari for over 20 years, trust me on this: If you are asked to go on a motorcycle ride and your date doesn't insist on a helmet, jacket and boots you're risking a TON of your own hide if you get on it. Find out how long they've owned their bike and how many miles they ride a year. It matters!

You wouldn't go shooting with some moron who just got his first gun would you? Wait, unless you live in KY, LA or AR. Then that is foreplay I think, but I digress.

I love the old adage about how motorcyclists should spend on a helmet what they think their heads are worth. So, you're wearing a backwards baseball cap. Hmmm... :)

Jeff
 ladylady349
Msg: 72
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/31/2012 4:30:43 PM
Most of the riders I know are baby boomers who have been riding since their teens. It's not a status thing with them it is something they have enjoyed most of their lives. The are not ruff and tuff bikers....LOL! They are people who just like to ride with the wind in the face. I appreciate a profile with a picture of the man and his bike because it tells me what his interest is. I love to ride....long trips/short trips.....can't ride enough. Considering getting my own bike so I don't have to wait to ride with someone and I'm 66 years old. Learned to ride in my 20's. I have gone on first dates on bikes and had so much fun. Lots of accidents with motorcycles are do to drivers of cars who don't watch out for motorcycles not necessarily the bikers.........All my siblings either rode or still ride and they are older than I am...first ride I ever had was when I was 4 years old. Loved it ever since.... Having a bike doesn't make the man.....it's just different strokes for different folks...could be a vet or a horse!
 StlHoping
Msg: 73
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/31/2012 5:10:28 PM
The only thing that gives anyone an edge in dating is slickness .. knowing what to say .. or just how to say whatever .. I own a bike becus I want to .. I bought it long ago while in a relationship so it was never about dating & I don't over advertise that I have it .. I briefly mention it because it's something I enjoy ... but I'm not a "biker" either. I don't live & breathe it ... someone who plays tennis isn't necessarily a tennis player, like a Bobby Riggs is/was. I don't think I'm a bad looking guy ... but I have very little luck on POF just getting gals to respond .. let alone meet .. & then .. If I'm interested they aren't .. or vice versa. I'm just not a smooth talker .... & that's what gals respond to .. without even realizing it. That's why it's called smooth talking & that's why so many gals gripe about how guys are ALL aholes. The reality is that's what they respond too ... they don't say nice guys finish last for no reason.
 jr1948
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 5/31/2012 6:18:34 PM
It that so??
Do You even know the difference???
 Dare to
Msg: 75
Motorcylces and dating
Posted: 6/1/2012 12:28:14 AM
As in all walks of life, some people are assh*les and some are not. The same applies in the motorcycle world.. I've owned and ridden my own motorcycle(s) for the last 30 years, and i'm hardly the stereotyped 'biker chick". I've known many "rough" looking people who were some of the nicest people i have ever known.. Much nicer and less judgemental than some of the people on this thread appear to be...
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Motorcylces and dating