Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ready_Real
Msg: 143
Less to choose the older we getPage 6 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
I'm on both, and the same people are on both! Including one "persistent" fellow who writes noting, "I see you're still here with nobody. Who do you think you are to reject a guy your age interested in you?" yada etc. Who of course I've had to block on both paid & unpaid sites! Today's "catch" was a 72 year old fellow sitting on a motorcycle. His, um, "motor" was very hard to see because his belly protruded halfway down to the motorcycle's pedals. And btw? This gentleman listed himself as "athletic" with an age range of 35-60. I guess I should have considered myself darn lucky to get his attention considering that given my age -- and long time singlehoodd -- I just made his cut. Sigh. . .
 CDMer
Msg: 144
Less to choose the older we get
Posted: 11/5/2012 2:09:56 PM
Randy, your posts are so funny! Are you (or were you since you are retired) a professional writer?

Anyway, it seems it is tough to find a suitable long term mate whether one is a male or a female.

Good luck to you and all the ladies!
 mjinict
Msg: 146
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2012 6:07:16 PM
^^^Sounds kinda like being put out to pasture.
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 147
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2012 9:31:22 PM
^^^^^Oh really, sounds to me like a voluntary preference. ....if not, exactly WHO is putting him out to pasture?
If his choice (my choice also) is mother nature over the ladies.....it sounds more like he's putting the women out to pasture.
 Ready_Real
Msg: 148
Posted: 11/5/2012 9:38:36 PM
Ah, Secondhand_lion, I'd be thrilled to hit those pastures with you any day. And so she goes, "Why oh why are all the top shelf choices so far away?"
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 149
view profile
History
Posted: 11/6/2012 1:15:40 AM
^^^^Careful what you wish for honey, I've always been a sucker for a long raven haired beauty....and New York isn't that far away. LOL
 Paderic
Msg: 150
Posted: 11/6/2012 5:32:54 AM

Many men remain in, or after an active working life move to, small towns because they are attracted to a particular way of life that can be experienced in such a setting.

Count me among them. I will be getting the heck out of here. I have already bought property to build my retirement abode in a small community on the Lake Michigan shore. I am sick of big city life. I want to spend my last years walking along the shore of the big lake whenever I want.
 colomtman
Msg: 151
view profile
History
Posted: 11/7/2012 9:52:18 PM
HMMMMMM... well i live in a rural area.. right on the colo /new mexico border... and then i live west of that little town up in the mountains...so real far off the track...if i put in women 55-65 on here ..... the search takes me at least 200 miles... up to pueblo..colo springs and denver...nothing closer ..unless i drop down to 45-65... so being rural is a problem...the little town i live by has an 18% population base over 65...so not much to pick from...and i noticed that in the bigger cities...the women tend to be better educated ,have more material wants..their photos appear to be better done.. the whole package is sharper....
so that is a guys take on this....now around here if you would want to meet an old guy...then you go to church..bingo...any kind of gambling.. the lake..farmers market..sales..farm sales.. live stock ...auctions......golf... and the nursing home... i live in a blue collar town..and you do not see men over 50 doing the stuff they do in the city.. few golf.. up around here most still work on their places..go to coffee...seldom go to town... but they are around...in their jeans..shirts...baseball caps..and pickup trucks....good luck!!
 mangopeach888
Msg: 152
Posted: 1/29/2016 1:59:48 PM
Yes I can relate. and the worse thing is that they sum you up in five seconds when you meet and have decided right then and there that there is no connection even though you may have the best personality and lots to talk about... donot know what the answer is but you ree not alone...
 marrakech7
Msg: 153
Posted: 1/29/2016 4:31:30 PM
We ALL sum up who we just meet and decide right then and there whether to see them again or not. Or by the s can't nd meet. I've done it, I'm sure you have done it, we all do it. I read your posting history and when have you had the time to come to this giant conclusion about men and dati h as you're recently out of a semi relationship and recently separated. Why are you in a hurry? And, you may have "the best personality and lots to talk about" but you're not the one for him, that's how it works. Do you want to be stuck with someone you're not attracted to?
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 154
Posted: 1/29/2016 7:27:45 PM

A fit financial older guy that everyone prefers can get the younger woman he really wants. .

Well, you could have fooled me.

URBAN MYTH ALERT !
 purplerider1200
Msg: 155
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2016 8:39:42 PM
Oh yes.

Women my age, if they took care of themselves, would accept younger men. Plenty in my area take the "real women" stance. They've gained weight, and want men to accept the inner personality. I see them as women that want to sit, eat, drink, and don't do much else.Then, there are others like-

The ''I'm retired" set. They want a man that is also, or soon to be. My plan is to keep on working past that milestone. Nothing bores me more than sitting. I can't stand weekend parties, and other boring social events.

"I need extra income" set. Happy hunting.

"Grandkids are the greatest thing since sliced bread" set. Maybe to you they are.

"Church and volunteering" set. I'm active in neither. If I'm going to work, then I'm going to get paid for it.

Since I don't do things like everyone else does, then it would stand to reason that cuts down my selections pretty drastically. Good thing I learned to do without women in my early years, when they wanted no part of me.
 Like2dance
Msg: 156
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2016 4:43:47 PM
Thankfully there are still plenty of good looking, smart and joyful slender younger women around to date - at least where I live. When I get bored I occasionally look at the profiles of women my age to affirm I should stick with only dating younger women. As previously noted, the profiles of older women read something like "My grandchildren, church, independence and other factors which will keep men disinterested in me come first'. Plus, 'You men should be interested in our inner selves regardless of how fat and otherwise unkempt in our appearance we choose to be.'
 paulina0907
Msg: 158
Posted: 2/3/2016 4:21:52 PM
No great shakes for 50+ either. Met a great guy, saw each other for 10 weeks, constantly, then he chose coke over me, talk about a slap in the face!
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 159
Posted: 2/3/2016 6:23:56 PM

Met a great guy, saw each other for 10 weeks, constantly, then he chose coke over me,

Are we safe in assuming you don't mean "cola"?

If so, I don't think I would be referring to him as a "great guy", regardless of any other qualities he may have.
 pennsylvaniasummer
Msg: 160
Posted: 2/8/2016 11:23:55 AM
Only guy I'd date that is significantly older than me would be a Lorne Greene clone.
 FGRN83
Msg: 161
Posted: 2/8/2016 12:17:42 PM
Keep fit. Pay your bills. Enjoy sex. Never be lonely..........
 deetristate
Msg: 162
Posted: 2/8/2016 2:40:24 PM
Some of the comments of men make me understand the moms mabley joke that the only thing an old man could do for her is show her a young one.
 BeyondtheMatrix
Msg: 163
Posted: 2/22/2016 3:27:33 PM

Does anyone else find the field narrows the older you are? -- Betty16101

Keep your spirits up, Betty. There are many people who found love late in life.

I remember my secondary school teacher, Mrs McIvor, in her early forties, announcing to the class that her mother, in her seventies, had found 'the love of her life' after being a widow for many years.

It can happen at any time to anyone. I hope it happens for you.

Best wishes

- Peter
 crook_catcher
Msg: 164
Posted: 2/22/2016 3:40:24 PM

Less to choose from the older we get

On the flip side we certainly get chosen less. ;)
 dragonbytes
Msg: 165
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2016 4:56:25 PM

On the flip side we certainly get chosen less. ;)

I see the sunny side, now I don't have a lot of competition left. Just being able to move is a plus!
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 166
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2016 8:45:14 PM
It's true....and the sad reality is that many of us will end our lives not being in a relationship. So the best thing we can do is be "whole persons" ourselves. And life and enjoy life as though one had a partner. That makes a person attractive to another, in my opinion.
 Chromis1
Msg: 167
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2016 9:50:34 PM
Boy, tough crowd.

The only reason I can see why there may be less to choose from the older we get, is because more of us are dead.

If anybody cares to proffer a different reason, I'll respectfully disagree.
 crook_catcher
Msg: 168
Posted: 2/22/2016 10:45:16 PM

is because more of us are dead.

You've got that right. Two more I used to work with passed last week, both younger than I 54-59. Brings the total up to 11 in the last 9-10 months. One thing to see obits, quite another "awareness" factor when you've worked with and associated with them. Gives pause for thought...realization of your own mortality. I call it the Green Mile effect...and then there was one.

Boy, tough crowd

Think it's tough up here? I believe that regular crew in off topic would eat their young. Some angry people on the loose down there. ;)
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >