Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Confronting Paranormal/Spiritual Disturbances      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Albvs
Msg: 33
Confronting Paranormal/Spiritual DisturbancesPage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
What do you really get out of heckling other people? Does it make you feel smarter somehow? If you don't believe that anything spiritual or supernatural could take place then don't camp out in a thread that's talking about it.

If I saw a sign that said "KKK meeting in here" I wouldn't go in there and start heckling them, I'd know that this would mean trouble. Nor would I go into a KKK-related forum and heckle them there either. I know that I wouldn't change anyone's mind by trying to argue with them so I'd leave them alone. I really don't get why close-minded people do the same on forums around the Internet. You're not going to ridicule someone into *not* believing what they believe so just stop already.
 Luthion
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Confronting Paranormal/Spiritual Disturbances
Posted: 3/12/2013 6:39:35 AM
Nobody is heckling you. They're simply asking you to back up with your facts with evidence.
 Luthion
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2013 7:13:31 AM
...what? What do my spiritual beliefs have to do with my hair? That is the most random question I think I've ever been asked...

I have no desire to derail this thread with random banter. I wasn't discounting what other persons were saying. Just responding to - particular post about "heckling".
 Luthion
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2013 8:25:59 AM
I'm not offended. I just don't understand the connection between my hair and my beliefs. =P You're going to have to explain.
 Luthion
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2013 9:06:08 AM
Someone said something about my hair? I actually don't recall a single post like that...
 Luthion
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2013 9:35:31 AM
Oh right, that. They weren't commenting on *my* hair. =P

Someone was trying to claim that Buddhist Monks shave their heads to help them receive telepathic signals better, in their pursuit of enlightenment.

...I'm not joking. They actually said that.
 Albvs
Msg: 39
Posted: 3/12/2013 9:26:51 PM
Luthion, that's all you're apparently good for. You show up and play the jerk. Somehow you think this is normal behavior for a person but it isn't.

I don't give you facts or evidence because I owe you nothing. You might as well be a fly buzzing about the room, you're that annoying.
 Rheostatic
Msg: 40
Posted: 3/12/2013 9:50:43 PM
Having a different opinion than someone is hardly "playing the jerk"
 Tah,
Msg: 41
Posted: 3/12/2013 10:52:44 PM

someone said something about my hair.

Looks like its receding, possibly coloured?
 Luthion
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2013 12:49:10 AM

I don't give you facts or evidence because I owe you nothing. You might as well be a fly buzzing about the room, you're that annoying.

You don't give *anyone* facts of evidence because there isn't if. You put two and two together and get five. If having a rational debate equals "being a jerk" then I don't know what to say.

The Buddhist claim was flat out ignorance. It is based on nothing. No science, no source, no evidence.

looks like its receding, possible coloured.

Coloured? No.

Receding? Sadly so. =P
 ForumFiona
Msg: 43
Posted: 3/13/2013 12:15:35 PM
To Gemma NM:
Posted: 3/12/2013 125 AM

I really enjoyed reading your post - nothing like getting the crap scared out of you in the dark at the outhouse by a goat lol! Love learning about Native spirituality and Shamanism. Skinwalkers were mentioned on the show "Navajo Cops" and for a job that involves its members to chase suspects in the dark out in the middle of nowhere, some take their (private) protection rituals very seriously. Enjoyed that show and a few of those members are tough men wow, great respect for the difficult job they do.
 Albvs
Msg: 44
Posted: 3/13/2013 2:43:55 PM

Having a different opinion than someone is hardly "playing the jerk"

Technically you'd be correct. Now go back and review the last 10 posts that he's made and tell me that he isn't one of the top ten jerks on the forums.

There are ways of stating an opposing opinion that doesn't qualify for "jerk" status.

* "Well, in my opinion, ... " + state your own opinion
* "I've not found that to be the case in my own experience." + state your own experience(s)
* "I myself believed that before I read about..." + share your reading recommendation

If you want to be seen as a jerk then use one of the methods that you guys routinely use on here.

* "No. You're wrong." + berate them
* virtually roll your eyes and play the drama queen, heckling someone
* read perhaps 5% of what was written, ignore the rest and then state unequivocally that your own opinion is in fact reality

Being anonymous on a dating site is no excuse for bad manners.
 Albvs
Msg: 45
Posted: 3/13/2013 3:05:50 PM

The Buddhist claim was flat out ignorance. It is based on nothing. No science, no source, no evidence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_shaving
http://www.antenna-theory.com/definitions/trp.php
http://www.antenna-theory.com/definitions/trp_eq2.gif
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antenna_(radio)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static_electricity

Unfortunately, you aren't curious enough to 1) read/review any of those, 2) you don't have an electrical engineering background as I do and 3) you're predisposed to disbelieve that anyone could have knowledge or understanding that you yourself don't already possess. So just ignore all that "science, source and evidence" above. I doubt if you could follow along anyway.

Quotes from http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/5minbud.htm

What is Compassion?

Compassion includes qualities of sharing, readiness to give comfort, sympathy, concern, caring. In Buddhism, we can really understand others, when we can really understand ourselves, through wisdom.

Would you describe your interactions with others here on the forum as compassionate? I wouldn't.

What is Wisdom?

Buddhism teaches that wisdom should be developed with compassion. At one extreme, you could be a goodhearted fool and at the other extreme, you could attain knowledge without any emotion. Buddhism uses the middle path to develop both. The highest wisdom is seeing that in reality, all phenomena are incomplete, impermanent and do no constitute a fixed entity. True wisdom is not simply believing what we are told but instead experiencing and understanding truth and reality. Wisdom requires an open, objective, unbigoted mind. The Buddhist path requires courage, patience, flexibility and intelligence.

Even if you did think me the fool then as a Buddhist you'd be charged with sharing your wisdom in a compassionate way rather than a condescending one. Would you describe yourself as wise? I wouldn't.

"True wisdom is... experiencing and understanding truth and reality." Would you describe yourself as someone who goes out of his way to experience these things (the paranormal, extraterrestrials, the supernatural)? I wouldn't.

What is Karma?

Karma is the law that every cause has an effect, i.e., our actions have results. This simple law explains a number of things: inequality in the world, why some are born handicapped and some gifted, why some live only a short life. Karma underlines the importance of all individuals being responsible for their past and present actions. How can we test the karmic effect of our actions? The answer is summed up by looking at (1) the intention behind the action, (2) effects of the action on oneself, and (3) the effects on others.

When you come on here and heckle others, what would you say is the intention behind that action? What is the effect on you after you've done this? What is the effect on the others here? I would answer, 1) to make you feel smarter than everyone else, 2) you go to bed feeling angry, 3) others like myself are annoyed with you.

By the way, one of the other forum posters has decided to call it quits. He's tired of the irritating people who camp out here for no other purpose than to harm others. Include yourself in that group, by the way.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Confronting Paranormal/Spiritual Disturbances