Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Will Capitalism Fail?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 OyVay...
Msg: 206
Will Capitalism Fail?Page 11 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
While capitalism may not fail, it will have to be rethought, by all those trying to game the system. Bankers, getting bailouts, CEO's acting as though they are spending their own money, and not stockholders.
 bwena
Msg: 207
Will Capitalism Fail?
Posted: 6/30/2012 4:08:21 AM
Great article: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/13/opinion/sunday/fables-of-wealth.html

There was a documentary several years ago called “The Corporation” that accepted the premise that corporations are persons and then asked what kind of people they are. The answer was, precisely, psychopaths: indifferent to others, incapable of guilt, exclusively devoted to their own interests.
 bwena
Msg: 208
Will Capitalism Fail?
Posted: 6/30/2012 4:11:21 AM
Regarding poverty in america; http://www.worldvisionusprograms.org/us_poverty_myths.php

Myth: People who are poor are lazy.

Fact: In 2008, 4.5 million families living in poverty had at least one member in the labor force. (U.S. Department of Labor, 2010)

Myth: Those living in poverty just want to stay there.

Fact: Millions of Americans move in and out of poverty over a lifetime. More than half the U.S. population will live in poverty at some point before age 65. (Urban Institute, 2010)

Note: most of the poor have worked in their lives and paid into the systems that they are using in times of distress.
The three most common reasons people fall into situational poverty are illness, divorce, and job loss.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 209
view profile
History
Will Capitalism Fail?
Posted: 6/30/2012 11:16:53 AM

The three most common reasons people fall into situational poverty are illness, divorce, and job loss

That's like saying the most common reason for drowning is falling out of a boat. ...ignoring the fact that the person didn't take swimming lessons. went out on choppy water, didn't wear a life preserver, etc.

Crap happens in life. working hard to get a good education, keeping fit, relocating to where there are better opportunities, putting off buying as new car and accumulating savings etc. are lifetime preparstions people can take so 'when', not 'if', they lose a job and they don't 'fall into situational poverty'. They don't have to meet a mortgage payment because they paid off the mortgage instead of dining in restaurants twice a week. or buying the latest big screen TV.

There are poor people that have my sympathy but not those who wake up one day and go 'gee whiz, I never thought I'd get sick or lose my job'. As for divorce...most people are not in poverty after a divorce. They have accumulated assets, have jobs, etc. 50% of marriages end in divorce . If an adult puts themselves in a vulnerable position then their issue is 'stupidity' and not divorce.

I say this as a 'liberal'. I'm all for an extensive social safety net like we have in Canada...I'd even expand on it....but this doesn't excuse away personal responsibility in favour of victimhood.
 Aries_328
Msg: 210
view profile
History
Will Capitalism Fail?
Posted: 6/30/2012 12:30:26 PM

I say this as a 'liberal'. I'm all for an extensive social safety net like we have in Canada...I'd even expand on it....but this doesn't excuse away personal responsibility in favour of victimhood.

This is what I would think is the typical American Republican response as well. Maybe a bit less on the extensive. Not the full withdrawal of the libertarian scenario and not the all-encompassing daddy of leftism.

What is going too far here is the federally supported corporations. It makes sense to have economic policy that subsidizes farmers for specific crops that influences national food production costs. However it does not make sense to prop up failing corporations for the purpose of jobs. No body creates a company to create jobs. Only the government does that. It is not an economic policy to create jobs to give people something to do. That doesn't make any sense and is unsupportable.

Now, take that same failing company and subsidize the industry in order to have a national impact on pricing to give an edge against foreign competition and now you are talking economic policy. The supportability of that same action done for a different reason to the group as a whole rather than a specific company and there is something to debate with economic and jobs impact. Giving the edge to a single company.

Is this true? 70% of GM cars are produced outside US. Growing in China. Why was the bailout done?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvl5Gan69Wo&feature=youtu.be

That isn't a mixed economy capitalism.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 211
view profile
History
Will Capitalism Fail?
Posted: 7/8/2012 9:02:57 AM
After thinking about the question of capitalism failing I figure it could be it's own demise...It may just eat itself. And,if left unchecked spoil the earth for we the inhabitants.

Once the system totally exhausts it's recources this could lead to the failure of capitalism. Especially if said system leaves no provision for replenishment or efficient use of these recources. Recources like material for product production. And human recources such as manual labor and engineering and development.

But, before things got that far along in capitalisms end there'd probably be mass revolt and societal upheval Almost as if the Govt's of the world, worldwide production of goods ,and people earning a living are tied to this system. Like the system is bigger than capitalism alone

It's gotten to be a kind of glue that is bringing our world together IMHO. Almost like a double edged sword, it has both good and bad points. But, if the people had greater control over this system it could work BETTER for everyone. What happens to this system and who it benefits is in our hands...

Sometimes it feels as though Capitalism is controlling us, rather than the people controlling it. Again JMHO.
 Aries_328
Msg: 212
view profile
History
Will Capitalism Fail?
Posted: 7/8/2012 10:03:26 AM

But, if the people had greater control over this system it could work BETTER for everyone.

I think this has the same problem as democracy. People are selfish and will always vote in their own best interests even if their self interests leads to total destruction.

The best system for the best control and with the best intentions is a good King. Someone that has complete rule and does the right thing because it is the right thing and can be trusted to always do what is best even if it hurts. There is no one capable of performing this role, especially with the size of the modern world, so the closest model is a representative government and hope that we can keep electing them out of office if they go bad and feel sad that the good ones can't stay either.

It isn't capitalism that is a problem. It is a very effective scarce resource management and helps to improve costs for all through production and distribution while also providing a means of reward and benefit to the multiple layers of the system.

It's the people that screw it up. When you have people scheming to exploit at much as possible and combine that with masses that basically want everything for free you have chaos, confusion, and all the appearances of a concerted effort to crash the system.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > Will Capitalism Fail?