Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Love at first sight      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SpittyKitty
Msg: 126
Love at first sightPage 6 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
Most women believe in it. Most men don't. (not all, but a higher percentage)
The odds get worse the older you are. Or maybe a better word would be wiser.
 SpittyKitty
Msg: 127
Love at first sight
Posted: 7/18/2012 6:51:13 PM
@TWB
Either is really good.
 westcoast-reble
Msg: 128
view profile
History
Love at first sight
Posted: 7/29/2012 10:08:58 PM

For women I think it's a bulge in the man's pants that creates love at first sight... and it's not what you think... I'm talking about the size of a man's wallet

A funny, yet believable perspective. Having said that, isn't this perspective equal to a male judging a female on looks alone?
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 129
view profile
History
Love at first sight
Posted: 7/31/2012 6:25:45 AM
Never was a believer in love at first sight. Nor soul mates. Still am not, but I AM here to tell you that sometimes *something* can happen that's not that easy to explain. . . . As for it being seeing someone who meets unconscious past programming, I'd really like to know *how*. . . . At forty one, having been raised in a pretty much all white, very Nordic, environment, I was teaching in China, walked into a party, and BAM!!, across the room, this tall, skinny, youngster. . . . World kinda stood still, tummy tumbled, knees buckled, and he began his journey across the room, parting the dancing couples as he came directly to me. We courted and married in a most hostile environment (at one point they threatened to banish him to Tibet), migrated to this country, and survived, mostly joyfully, till his mother came to live with us. . . . Five years after the divorce, he was in town, and wanted to have dinner. And when he walked in the door, I had EXACTLY the same reaction as I'd had the very first time.

Go figure.
 lordtreu
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Love at first sight
Posted: 7/31/2012 8:02:48 PM
lol honestly i think that love at first site is only in disney movies. You cant love someone at first site. unless you are implying that love is merely a physical phenomena/ The word for that is lust.
 scpumkinfan
Msg: 131
Love at first sight
Posted: 8/1/2012 6:49:03 PM
I put it in the same category as fairy tales, unicorns, the loch ness monster, Bigfoot and vampires (the real kind, not the ones on tv/movies) and "soul mates".
 Annommallie
Msg: 132
Love at first sight
Posted: 8/1/2012 7:04:37 PM
Yes, I'm certain that it happens all the time.

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
I can't tell you, but I know it's mine

A powerful sense of "recognition" may trigger a sense of love at first sight. Can it lead to love? Sure, but probably not all the time.

I get by with a little help from my friends :)
 tensail
Msg: 133
Love at first sight
Posted: 8/1/2012 10:58:14 PM
it is a temporry hormonla rection designed by nature to procreate v species, mistaking this chemical process 4 love etc is foolish n jeuvenile.
 SDladyCA
Msg: 134
Love at first sight
Posted: 10/13/2012 7:23:25 PM
It happened to me too, years ago. We were both at an event, and I felt someone watching me. I turned around, saw him there, and it was like the rest of the world vanished - for both of us. I just felt stunned, so did he, a feeling of almost recognition, though we had never met. I had never felt that before, or since. He was held up with his life obligations, and I was held up with mine, so we ended up being pulled different directions in life, but it was just an incredible experience.
 YourBrandNewGuy
Msg: 135
Love at first sight
Posted: 10/13/2012 9:55:44 PM
Even if it's a trite old saying that has been overused, that doesn't mean the opposite is true. You claim a benchmark for love at first sight to anyplace you chose, but you can't claim when or where it started.
My exex are still my friends and we care about each other, although there was much pain in each case all is forgiven.
We had 5 to 7 year good marriages that just lacked longevity. We were all fair to each other and still all keep in touch.
I have seen so many happy couples that followed all the rules and had long happy marriages that ended in bitter hatred.
The subject of when love starts or ends or whether it was selfish love as I would describe the angry bitter separated couple, compared to what I call real love where I want my exex to be happy and succeed no matter what, and they want that for me.
I could say I would die for my ex when we were married but also on then day I met her, even now. My romantic love changed to platonic but not hatred like so many broken marriages.
That's an odd hindsight way of looking at it but the possibilities are endless. Is a year of unrequited love less important than a week of passionate love that just vaporizes? We might just love a certain type because of something we saw on a movie once a long time ago. It's all chemistry that exists due to natural selection anyway.
I would guess that love on first sight has a good track record as well as bad just like any interpretation of love.
 tampasmiles
Msg: 136
Love at first sight
Posted: 10/14/2012 1:15:24 AM
I won't put a name to it...but twice...I have met someone...felt like I had always known them...so it wasn't even a question of having sex the same day I met them..since we felt like we had always loved each other...felt like I knew everything about them (even though I didn't at the time). Remained with the first for 13 years until he died...the second I am still with...in our 8th year.

I don't know about previous lives..or after life...but it sure feels like I have always known some people...
 INSTYLE9611
Msg: 137
Love at first sight
Posted: 10/14/2012 5:54:32 AM
Sure if your both attracted to each other.
anything is possible.i am a romantic myself
good luck!
 _Meta_Man_
Msg: 138
Love at first sight
Posted: 10/14/2012 6:34:41 AM
There are two levels of love...the love that you give and the love that you have.

You can make the choice to give love at first sight. Whatever the reason it doesn't matter the bottom line is this love is a choice and you can give it to anyone, at any time for any reason.

The love that you own though...that is different and something that develops over time. Also, it informs the love that you give better and better over time. This is deep emotional understanding and love.
 -Cantabile-
Msg: 139
Love at first sight
Posted: 10/14/2012 3:20:15 PM
I'm a fairly logical and prudent person. I used to laugh at the notion that people could fall in love so quickly. Then love at first sight happened to me, and it lasted for several years. To this day, I'm shocked. It's completely changed my perspective.

In my case, it happened out of the blue at a time I was least expecting to meet somebody. He looked quite average and didn't say or do anything out of the ordinary. He also didn't remind me of anybody. I didn't know what he did for a living, how much he made, where he lived, his name, his age, or absolutely anything about him. He also didn't match the "type" of physical features I find most attractive in a man. But the feeling hit me like a truck- and him too, I'm assuming, as it didn't even take a week for him to tell me that "[he] would make [me] his wife someday". And no, we were not teenagers (early and mid 20s).

Will I ever feel that again? I don't know. A part of me thinks that I felt it because I was younger and more naive. A part of me wonders if I felt it because he was truly The One. I guess I'm open to the possibility it will happen again, but I'm not counting on it. And that's just fine with me.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 140
view profile
History
Love at first sight
Posted: 10/15/2012 1:22:33 AM
Because of people's definition of love being different from one to the next, love at first sight could mean something very different, depending on who you're talking about.

According to my definition, I'd say that there's almost no such thing. That would happen for me because of who someone is, versus what I see with my eyes, and I would have to know who they are, and I can't know who they are with just my eyes the first time I see them. And, it's a red flag for me if a woman seems to fall too fast too hard, before she seems to know definitive things about me...

...however, I said that there's ALMOST no such thing, because of course it does sometimes happen. You can in fact now and then intuit or extrapolate vital elements of a person's character or vibe by what you "observe" with your eyes the "first time" you see them...and sometimes these things happen to click with unusual compatibility, which is quite an experience and really is love at first sight which occasionally results in a genuine long term relationship.

And then you have the phenomena of smell. You sometimes hear how smell is so important...here's why - when someone naturally smells SO good in an overwhelming unusual way (not just because you like the smell of the opposite gender) it's because your body/brain unconsciously knows that the other person is of a high genetic match. They go real well with your genes. And your body tells you that with a certain sense of smell. I've experienced this maybe twice in my life. It's strange. Her natural smell (unless it wasn't natural and I was being tricked) smelled "like home, life, nostalgia", and other words I can't think of at the moment. I'm sure that this might be a factor for some people in an experience of love at first sight.
 SaharaM
Msg: 141
view profile
History
Love at first sight
Posted: 10/15/2012 3:29:45 AM

Sometimes it's a lot more than lust at first sight as well. Meeting that person who you just click with in every way and not just looking forward to getting to know them in a sexual way but also wanting to know everything about them, I think that's what the cliche is refering to.
I agree.

Have you ever really disliked someone you just met? There's just 'something about them' that makes you want to be anywhere but near them?

What is so strange about the opposite occurring, no matter what we call it?

It hasn't happened to me, but I know that it has happened for some people. I think it has more to do with soul/spirit than intellect or anything else. Jmo 'n all.

Yes, that actually happened to me when I least expected it. "Lust" was the last thing on my mind, for a variety of reasons. When I met him (just out in the world, not on a set-up or date) I remember thinking, "He's not who I was expecting..." What a strange thing to come across my mind at that moment. When I walked away, I was just thinking, "Huh." If anyone would have asked me to elaborate on that, I wouldn't have been able to, strange as that might seem. We knew eachother for about six months before getting together. In that time, I just became more and more sure that we would be together, despite no flirting or mention of anything between us. It turns out he was telling others that I was going to be his wife. It really is kind of bizarre to think back on.

So anyway, I don't believe in love at first sight. That said, I felt something that day, something that was not lust, but seems like it was just the initiation of the connection between us. I agree that it has more to do with soul/spirit than inellect or anything else.
 Tinkerr Belle
Msg: 142
view profile
History
Love at first sight
Posted: 10/16/2012 9:21:58 AM
There's chemistry at first sight. Vibes, tingles etc. Not exactly love. Love takes time to develop. I know because I went through this twice. First time, I was only 20 and I mistook affection and emotional attachment for love, which lasted just a few years . The second time, the chemistry was instant, but love took time to develop . As you slowly get to know the person, you fall harder and harder until there's a point of no return.
 Maleman999
Msg: 143
Love at first sight
Posted: 10/16/2012 9:47:24 AM
I've heard a few married women say: "I knew from the first second I saw him, he was going to be the guy I was going to marry." What happens if he doesn't feel the same way, or what happens if his personality is a turn off once you get to know him? I would be turned off by a woman if she made that declaration after one second.
 MC09100
Msg: 144
Love at first sight
Posted: 10/16/2012 12:22:24 PM
I personally see it that way, I think they're may be something that draws us to someone. It could be love,lust,familiarity.. anything. There are few but some people when I lock eyes with them I just half to have them. In which way.. I don't find out until I "dig" around more with them.
 bcsofnc57
Msg: 145
view profile
History
Love at first sight
Posted: 10/16/2012 1:19:39 PM
I don't only believe in love at first sight, I think it is the only true love. I think "love" that comes over time isn't really love but more that you are used to having that person in your life.

Some say it is just lust, but for me that part came latter on.
 circle-circle
Msg: 146
Love at first sight
Posted: 10/16/2012 1:30:22 PM
A bunch of crap--it does not exist. You don't even know the person. How can a complete stranger be 'the love of your life'? Sounds like a delusional state.
 YourBrandNewGuy
Msg: 147
Love at first sight
Posted: 10/16/2012 1:42:33 PM
Love is a feeling within one self. People can be in love with an image they have created on line for example. One can love some one for years then find out that person was lying and cheating all the time. Love is very subjective. To actually claim to know that it does not exist at first sight is a waist of time. We can't even define what it is but in a chemical way so we don't know when it starts.
Every love there ever was on earth had a starting point, some of those starting points where at first sight.

Regardless of how it starts we all know that love at last sight can be very ugly.
 westcoast-reble
Msg: 148
view profile
History
Love at first sight
Posted: 10/18/2012 4:28:52 AM
Thank you for all the replies.

Personally, I do believe in love at first sight. It's a connection of souls, if you will. Like everything in this world, we retain the choice of how we will respond. There are those who have experienced it, and others who have experienced something of the like, but don't label it as such. And the only difference is one's perspective on the matter.

I don't only believe in love at first sight, I think it is the only true love. I think "love" that comes over time isn't really love but more that you are used to having that person in your life.

Some say it is just lust, but for me that part came latter on.

That is an awesome perspective. If an expecting mother can love her unborn child, a being that she cannot even see, then, it only seems to make sense that the magnetism one feels toward a complete stranger, is love. And since love is a subjective word, one can label it anyway they wish. However, isn’t a rose a still a rose if called by another name?
 Maleman999
Msg: 149
Love at first sight
Posted: 10/18/2012 7:48:05 AM
If there was any such thing as love at first sight, that would mean a 300 or 400 pound person who dresses like a slob, missing their front teeth, and looked like they slept and live in the sewer would have just as much luck at finding instant love as a person who looks like a fashion magazine model. How many people who claim to believe in love at first sight, have found it with someone they are NOT physically attracted to?
 YourBrandNewGuy
Msg: 150
Love at first sight
Posted: 10/18/2012 10:11:12 AM
^^Why should anyone fall in love at any sight with what you have described? Love at first sight is reserved for those we are attracted to obviously.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Love at first sight