Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > muslim fight for 5 min prayer break in company time      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 monty336
Msg: 1
view profile
History
muslim fight for 5 min prayer break in company timePage 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
heard this on radio, far as i know he is being allowed, a few pointers, can other faiths claim the same, can his time come out of his dinner break, 8hr day so why cant he pray in own time,if he smokes does company allow smoke breaks as well, how much did this amount to in legal costs etc
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 2
view profile
History
muslim fight for 5 min prayer break in company time
Posted: 6/5/2012 2:10:19 PM
Of course he`s being allowed, they would`nt dare not to...his "human rights" dont you know !, same old crap.

mind, its a good chance to recall years ago, i used to go "up the road" a lot with my brother who was a long haul lorry driver, ...anyway.. stopped off in this services one evening, and walking through the carpark , we saw this muslim guy kneeling on a carpet by the side of his car doing the prayer thing ( arms in the air etc )...we both laughed our arses off because he was clearly facing the north ( my understanding is, they have to face mecca in the east) he wont find it facing scotland ! :O)
 monty336
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 6/5/2012 2:13:30 PM
good point if he is praying at least you know where he is, ive heard snoring in the toilets at work, i work at a large firm and a lot skive
 Strider886
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 6/5/2012 2:55:15 PM

Happy worker = Good worker ...

VERY true!!!

BUT i've worked "with" happy smokers who disappear off outside for 10mins in every 30 (twice an hour), it REALLY pisses off non-smokers, thus making the majority unhappy.

Having happy workers is not about giving in and letting them do as they please, it's about fairness executed in a non-oppressive manner.... Something which the vast majority of companies seem to get completely wrong.

Now if somebody wants to move a break time to allow them to pray, then fair enough........ Or they could even start/finish work 5 mins early/late. Giving preference however is not fair and should not be allowed.

Do they allow this in middle eastern countries? Do they even get to have breaks in middle eastern countries? I seriously doubt it.
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 6/5/2012 2:59:05 PM
Re smoking..

i`m a smoker, and often bugger off out for a quick smoke, yeah, it takes a few minutes each time, but, on the other hand, i frequently work past clock out time by an average 15/20 mins to finish a job, i dont then wait ten minutes to get paid the full half hour, so in the long run, the company actually gets more free time off me, than i do off them with my smoking, its called give and take, get the balance right, and everyone is happy :O)
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 6/5/2012 7:09:53 PM
@msg11

"Also whats ".his "human rights" dont you know !, same old crap" you said you smoke at work, is it one rule for you and one rule for him? Typical ha!"

Actually, i never said we were allowed to smoke !, so, i`m NOT saying i have one rule, and he does`nt , but, if it went the other way, he was allowed to pray, but i`m not allowed to smoke, would you then say the same thing ? :O)
 tagera
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 6/8/2012 5:50:32 AM
mate middle eastern countries every thing shuts at the prayer time all markets, stalls,shops everything shuts that include offices, factories. How I know? I have been there seen it personally.

So lets say about this prayer breaks.. I have nothing against it. as nothing against any smokers or any one who needs a small break.
This is only because the golden rule of management is..

Employee are the most valuable assets of the company, workers make the company, if they are well looked after then they will work better.

Also its human nature do a favour get a favour so if you look after your employees they will look after you, fully agreeing to the fact that people should not take the liberty of it meaning work your time back like I smoke but I always make sure all my duties are finished before I leave work.
 Richard_of_York
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 6/8/2012 11:11:27 AM
We all waste way more than 5 minutes of company time in the day anyway, this is nothing to even begin to care about. Smokers get a much bigger slice of the day doing nothing for free and there's less reason to allow that.
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 6/8/2012 2:10:55 PM
^^^ but i dont spend 10 minutes at the coffee machine hahaha :O)
 surreygal
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2012 10:46:32 AM
I am a muslim that prayers at work. I have a shower in the morning before work so im usually clean until prayer time. It literally takes 2 minutes to clean up for prayer time and not more then 5 minutes to prayer. We have to prayer 5 times a day but due to the fact the days are long at the moment I dont have to prayer at work.

I also make coffee and tea for my colleagues. I am sure the time i take to re wash the mug (the cleaner is filthy) is probably the same as most people take to prayer. My colleagues have seen me prayer and think it is quite interesting. There are only 3 people at my work place that are muslim but i am the only one who actually prayers. My manager is happy and my colleagues dont care. I often work back as we are short staffed so no one can say im dossing.
 surreygal
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2012 11:29:07 AM
Mr Snipe I dont have a mud head or less brains then a banana. It is funny how this thread will go though. We will have the odd religious comment then others will defend and finally it will get deleted. Muslims have been praying in the work place for years. My brother goes off at lunch time for the Friday prayers which should be done in the mosque every week. I have got to say that praying actually puts me in a peaceful state of mind and ready to get on to my next challenge.
 ZXTTTT
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2012 1:19:25 PM
As far as I'm concerned, you go to work to work, not to pray, smoke, check email ect. You can do all that stuff in your break time. The people that don't take the p1ss with all this stuff don't get payed any better for covering for these skivers.
 Strider886
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2012 4:17:02 PM
I like the way that "racist" and "racism" always get thrown around in discussions like this..... This has sweet f**k all to do with race!!!

I reckon more than half the population in this country are atheists, if Christians required 5 minute breaks to pray, they'd have to take it from their own time.... Why should anyone else be treated any different? Just because they get on their soap box and cry racism????

Furthermore I'm sick of accusations of racism being used as a way to hush people who simply have a valid opinion.
The truth, no matter how biased is always the truth and the truth CANNOT be racist.

I don't care what the likes of the Daily Mail has to say, the only thing they're interested in is selling papers and winding up stupid people.

Look up "Ad hominem"................ In short "An attempt to negate the truth of a claim by pointing out a negative characteristic or belief of the person supporting it".
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2012 6:27:43 PM
^^^^^ hear hear ! ...he mutters, with a fag stuck in his gob :O)
 Jo van
Msg: 15
Posted: 6/10/2012 6:33:01 AM
Smooth is correct in that Prince Charles and the Archbishop of Canterbury are amongst some of the 'high-profile' advocates for the building of mosques, and the introduction of Islam. (Hi Nutty! )

In general, you'll find that "believers" in one religion will tend to endorse the 'validity' of others.
Well they have to really, religion is dying, because it makes no sense.
PC has a vested interest in perpetuating old beliefs, as does the archbishop.
Without those old neolithic superstitions, they'd both have to get proper jobs!

In this country, until very recently, all business was forced to stop for at least a 7th of the entire week!
And the "sabbath" would still be in force, if they had their way.
That's a little bit more than 5 minutes a day.

No need to start getting all "Daily Mail" about it, or getting excited.
I am an "equal opportunities" religion mocker.
They're all equally WRONG.

They will all die an inevitable death.
All these practices and "rituals" just aid that IMO., as they show just how irrational such nonsense really is.
"Supernatural" Gibberish, all of it.
The next generation will always 'stick two fingers up' to it, regardless of how many "honour killings" there are.

Stop taking deluded people so seriously, would be my advice.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  > muslim fight for 5 min prayer break in company time