Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Would guys have a relationship with a girl who has a disability?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
its a difficult one to answer honestly, as all disabilities are different ar`nt they ?

my last ex had crohns, and had had it for some 25 years before we met, it didnt cause any problems what so ever, but other physical disabilities, i could`nt say as i`ve not encountered that scenario :O)
 Tayfire
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Would guys have a relationship with a girl who has a disability?
Posted: 6/7/2012 11:10:02 AM
I have done this myself in the 80's with a woman who unfortunatlly was hit by a car when she was younger and walks with a limp i think she hit her head and caused some memory loss or a little bit of damage.
 zonked123
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 6/8/2012 3:35:17 AM
I think I wouldn't knowingly start a relationship with a disabled woman but if one grew naturally, say falling for someone at work or a loved one becoming disabled, then it wouldn't be a barrier (some questions can't be answered hypothetically, we always imagine that given harsh circumstances we'll act honourably).
 Jo van
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/12/2012 11:07:02 AM
^^^Tsk tsk Nx., only back five minutes, and already soliciting for cawk-shots.
WB.

OT:
I would be prepared to "have a relationship" with a woman who was very incredibly wealthy.
-I'm not sure that actually counts as a "disability"..? To my mind, it does, and as I dislike the wealthy immensely, I feel this shows that I'm not a "racist".
Which both (IMO) "casts me in a very good light", and also fulfills the statutory obligations of forum posting.

I have a friend who was married to a deaf woman once. He said it was great. But I can't tell you why....

I'm not really looking for a relationship, so I can't really say what "guys" would do.
Having read lots of posts, complaining that women "never send first messages", I would try messaging a few, they might be grateful.

Edit:
Indeed M'Lud, very very old, and talking, bollox.
 bootielicious
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2012 12:56:22 PM
Looking at this from a different angle. There are those that find the disability to be the attraction. Some men prey on the needy (not that all disabled are needy) and their focus is to become irreplacable.

I was dating my ex when I got encephalitus (likely spelt incorrectly), we had decided to get married after a short period of dating due to outside influences (no I was not pregnant) in the mean time I became ill. From the moment I was taken into hospital in a coma he totally took over. This included intimidating nurses (to the point of making them cry) and my Mum, who was too scared to tell him to back off.

When I came out of the coma, his was the first face that I saw and therefore my first memory was that I was meant to be marrying him and I remember feeling worried that I had missed my wedding. As it was I hadn't, but it was only 3 months away and no one had the balls to tell him to postpone it until I was better (not even his own parents). Needless to say his controlling continued, this manifested in many ways, but mainly mentally. It took me 7 years to break free and every time I tried to assert myself and show him that I was getting better, he kicked me back down. He didn't want the person he met, he wanted the person I had become. The person who needed him and didn't answer back.

You may think I come across a tad opinionated in my posts. It's so wonderful to have an opinion and be able to exercise it without fear, I rejoice in it!

So in some ways I can understand why some members may not want to include their disabiltiy on their profile. Let the person meet you mentally first and see if you have a connection, but at the same time, I do wonder if it is fair to keep back important things that may influence their decision. I suppose it is like all personal things. Not everyone needs to know everything about you, but if you are considering being close to someone, then better to let them know before they become attached and respect their views, because you don't know them better than they know themself, as they don't know you better.
 ir82
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2012 9:23:58 AM
It really does depend what the disability is, I like independent women but even if you're in a wheel chair you can still have some independence.

It really shouldn't be an issue, it might be inconvenient and times and obviously affect things, but I can't see why it would stop you from having a good relationship. Of course it does depend on what exactly what the condition is.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >