Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Online dating working for you?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LuvADKs
Msg: 226
Online dating working for you?Page 10 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)

So how is it working out for you? I tried a while back and met several guys after chatting with them and they never came close to looking like their pictures! One guy was even handicapped and never told me until we met up. So I gave up for a long time with the online thing. Now I am back and hoping it is different........is it?

Using this more for entertainment than anything. Online is a pain..
 btrfly1362
Msg: 227
Online dating working for you?
Posted: 10/19/2012 1:39:09 AM
Not at my age they don't!
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 228
Posted: 10/19/2012 9:59:26 AM

I'm serious about that comedy writing thing, Mae.

Unfortunately this ability has not done anything for my dating life...although I have been told that I'm lots fun to be around...(apparently....not for anything long term.) lol

I think far to many put all their eggs in the one basket of this site or one of the others, and do not look at it as a piece to that puzzle of finding others to enjoy and be happy with. If singles do not have a good support system, social clubs and activities to enjoy, places to go, and people to see, out there in the real world, all they end up with is Disney Land on here, where the lines are long, the rides to short, and have physical requirements to even enter them.....go figure

Agreed. I have a great social life...as my friends will attest to and I belong to various meet-up groups as well. I do not depend on dating sites as a way of meeting new people. One of the groups I belong to is called PoH...Pursuit of Happiness. It is about getting out there, meeting new people and trying new things.....all in the pursuit of happiness...love it.

...mae
 ValentineGirl777
Msg: 229
Posted: 10/19/2012 1:05:12 PM
Basically, he blocked you. Sorry hun. :(
 lokkin4sometouch
Msg: 230
Posted: 10/19/2012 1:06:51 PM
No, its not working at all. The women in my age group all want younger guys and the younger women won't go out with older men. Thank god for hunting season.
 LuvADKs
Msg: 231
Posted: 10/19/2012 2:23:08 PM
^^^^ LoL i hear ya!
 Luckicatch
Msg: 232
Posted: 11/5/2012 9:37:16 PM
I have to be honest I have been on and off the online sites for about a year. I can surely share some dating stories that would curl your toes. Why do I keep coming back?? I keep thinking that out there somewhere is a really great guy that will honestly want a relationship and not just FWB or casual sex! I do have a couple of questions though...
1. Why do men start visiting, we share numbers and never meet up then suddenly I've been blocked?
2. Why do some men think that at 50 women don't want a spark, who doesn't want that special chemistry?
3. Why do men look at profiles and never say hi, or you are cute but....
 AlanaRO
Msg: 233
Posted: 11/6/2012 5:50:06 AM
I've been on this site for just 1 week. Hit it off with a man (as far as chatting) right away. We had a lot in common, good banter, good conversation, it was great. We were going to meet this Saturday and all of a sudden there is no comunicatiom. WTF
 AlanaRO
Msg: 234
Posted: 11/6/2012 5:56:32 AM
I do have one friend that met a great guy on pof. They are getting married next Spring.
 blondandcute
Msg: 235
Posted: 11/6/2012 6:03:04 AM
I've met some nice people, and some that i had no chemistry with, but sometimes its just nice to meet someone new and it nothing else, make a new friend.
 Luckicatch
Msg: 236
Posted: 11/6/2012 5:24:28 PM
Alano...the same thing has happened to me...chatted for a couple of weeks traded numbers and said we would meet on the weekend and then he disappeared and blocked me...what is that all about ?
As far as it being a free site, sure it is but I have tried others that I paid for and had no response at all, and we can pay here to upgrade...
Yes, I too think patience is the key and Las Vegas has a bevy of beauty's so I'm not really what every man dreams about so for me I have to have patience!
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 237
Posted: 11/6/2012 5:39:45 PM

...the same thing has happened to me...chatted for a couple of weeks traded numbers and said we would meet on the weekend and then he disappeared and blocked me...what is that all about ?

His wife came back from visiting her family out of state.
 Wonder5750
Msg: 238
view profile
History
Posted: 11/6/2012 5:41:23 PM
those that disappear like that have lied about something they can't hide when they meet you in real life.
 Luckicatch
Msg: 239
Posted: 11/7/2012 5:17:37 PM
Being married...hmmm never thought of that thank you friends!
Now for the patience ??!
 Luckicatch
Msg: 240
Posted: 11/7/2012 6:19:02 PM
I have a patient that met a girl on match.com and two weeks later they were married...keep telling myself online dating works...just have patience, just have patience!
 VenusandAdonis
Msg: 241
Posted: 11/13/2012 10:18:19 AM
tried other sites..and been on a few interesting first dates..now I could write a book about that..
back again..is it working?
Time will tell
 c_deacon
Msg: 242
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2012 10:35:20 AM
It is all a matter of perception about your own feelings of having your needs met. Far to many put to much into dating, and then get lost in this on line stuff that can overwhelm many with all the choices available that also create many of the problems.

The fantasy of it all can be intoxicating, yet the reality of is all can be devastating, and so many can not deal with the extremes. Time, distance, and desire, all play into this thing called dating, and just as so many get excited about those gifts on Christmas morning, they forget about all the time and effort it took to put up the tree, decorations, lights, shop for gifts, wrapping, and all the rest that makes it work for some, and not for others.

Dating to me, is one step at a time, and on line just makes those steps smaller, because where one steps can be as important as taking them in the first place.

cd
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 243
Posted: 11/13/2012 10:44:43 AM
as of this second I feel tired of stupd, low caliber people, there is the occassional gem but geez louise, the kaka i have muddled thru...
 funnershine
Msg: 244
Posted: 11/13/2012 11:05:13 AM

Dating to me, is one step at a time, and on line just makes those steps smaller, because where one steps can be as important as taking them in the first place.

Agree with you and I no longer date online. I prefer to see the person first before agreeing to even a coffee..
 funnershine
Msg: 245
Posted: 11/13/2012 1:53:34 PM

In general, women have been very flaky about meeting. The ones I have met have had what seems to me to be a high degree of disfunction ranging from chemical abuse to mental illness! I am serious about finding a relationship but I think I better lool elsewhere.

Probably because they have met a few and have might have decided to be far more discriminate in just who they agree to meet.. The ones you are meeting are not as apprehensive and so you meet those..

I suggest you join some meetups in your area you might find that better.. Lots more women there for you to pick and choose from.

namaste
funnershine
 TantricJedi
Msg: 246
Posted: 11/13/2012 11:32:44 PM
msg 256

1. Why do men start visiting, we share numbers and never meet up then suddenly I've been blocked?

They encountered a woman, online or offline, that showed more interest then you. Simple. Blocked? I can only share with you my opinion. If I make a first move, such as sending an email, or I respond to your email, and you read the email and don't respond within 24 hours, I block you. Why? Time management. I won't waste my time on someone who clearly doesn't have time to write back to say they're busy. I feel like I'm an option to you. I'm just a date on your string of dates this week. Bottom line, I don't feel the interest from you. I move on and save my time.

2. Why do some men think that at 50 women don't want a spark, who doesn't want that special chemistry?

Interesting. I don't think that. I think older women are more mature, less flaky and know what they want. Very attractive if you are physically attractive to me.

3. Why do men look at profiles and never say hi, or you are cute but....

They read something that turned them off. As one woman told me, at least I know that my pics work:)
 eddieinabq
Msg: 247
Posted: 11/14/2012 10:44:35 AM
Well, I do get a lot of first dates. The problem is that I am just not attracted to most of the women who I meet in person. Some of them look nothing like their pics, use pictures that must be at least 10 years old, or tend to lie about their body type. One date was a good 50 pounds overweight and listed her body type as "athletic". Maybe her sport is donut eating contests? I am casually dating three women from POF who I found attractive, but nothing serious has developed with any of them. I face my share of rejections online but have learned to be thick-skinned. So, online dating has been somewhat frustrating, but it is a free site and allows me to meet women who I would normally never meet.
 jazzybabe
Msg: 248
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2012 5:14:24 PM
nope it sucks - i have met a few (very few) that I really liked but it went no where.
 mswinter46
Msg: 249
Posted: 11/15/2012 12:16:57 AM
You know what all of you have said here rings true you ether find some one you think you like or click with or what ever the case may be.. But you know when you tell the truth you never hear from them again that is what has been happening with me. I chat and tell them the truth about me and they run like there pants are on fire. as for handy caped well i am and when i explain this to them as i said they run.. i under stand most guys don't want to be with some one that can't to dancing, fishing, boating, walking, and so on but you know they could be a bit more understanding and just like the person they are talking too as they are and not be like that but as i said i understand. I have had a few that talked to me more then just once or more then a week and get my hops up and think may be this one but in the end they ran as well. So my question is what is the point in being truthfully about your self when they or most don't want the truth. just a question you don't have to answer but i would like to know what every one thinks. all so what ever happened to getting to know some one be for you jump in bed or expect you too do so after just one chat section LOL.. I have all so meet guys on here and all they want is on line sex cyber sex after just a few words had been exchanged threw POF chat room?? and when you tell them you don't do Cyber Sex they run lol.
 lightninbug22
Msg: 250
Posted: 11/16/2012 12:46:16 PM
I am fairly new (Sept. 2012)--despite the 2009 on my profile-long story about why it is that way.

Anyway, my experience so far meeting guys online is that, once meeting in person, either I am not attracted to them, or they are not attracted to me, or at least that is what I think the reason is. I think that perhaps some people just hold out for the best deal and move on more quickly than they would in real life, since there still are plenty of fish left in the sea to choose from.

Just a theory.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Online dating working for you?