Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Online dating working for you?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Greatcatch12345
Msg: 51
Online dating working for you?Page 3 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
this is mostly a free site..u get what u pay for..for dating purposes..i would suggest match or eharmony..when people gotta pay every month..they get serious. Here its just fun & games.Although if u ever plan a trip to florida..i'd love to be your tour guide.. :-)
 TC2u
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Online dating working for you?
Posted: 6/21/2012 5:58:41 AM

I won't give up....I know there are some nice guys out there, just very hard to find :-(

Apparently nice guys doesn't have a thing to do with it, speaking from experience. There's tons of threads with nice guys... whining. There must be more to it than that.
 takilasunrise1
Msg: 53
Posted: 6/21/2012 6:52:51 AM
I have mixed feelings about it....but again, it's pretty much the same in "real life". There are the first impressions (pictures and profiles vs. meeting someone for the first time in a social situation) that can be deceiving or genuine. The only difference is that you can sort of feel out/weed out a person you met on-line (messaging/talking on the phone) before meeting them. The in-person dating, you might not find some of the stuff out until after a few dates.

Has it worked for me? Well, I did meet my 2nd husband on a dating site, we met and were together for almost 10 years. Even though the marriage wasn't a long-term success, I did find someone through on-line dating. I guess it just takes patience and endurance. But this time around for me, it does feel a little different. Maybe it's because I'm older, maybe because the "pool" of choices aren't the same. I don't know. I, too, take a break every once in awhile, otherwise it does get frustrating and disappointing. I personally make sure I have up-to-date photos posted. And I have always been a genuine person, so what you see is what you get, but I know not everyone is like that, unfortunately.

Someone mentioned about getting contacted by younger men thinking they might get laid. Personally, I think they are the scammer/fake profiles. I've gotten like 4 different contacts in the last few weeks from guys anywhere from 21 to 30 asking me if I like younger guys. I highly doubt there are that many guys on here wanting to do someone their mother's age....LOL.
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 54
Posted: 6/21/2012 7:13:59 AM

Someone mentioned about getting contacted by younger men thinking they might get laid. Personally, I think they are the scammer/fake profiles. I've gotten like 4 different contacts in the last few weeks from guys anywhere from 21 to 30 asking me if I like younger guys. I highly doubt there are that many guys on here wanting to do someone their mother's age....LOL.

yes... there are.

Before I made mine over 30 I would get 20-25 a day just from people under 25. There actually ARE that many people into that kind of stuff... it's not scams; it's a current fantasy that younger guys have that they think I guess they are suppoed to be into.

It's amazing how many variations of the same line "Hi, you're kinda hot and I dig older women, you want to get to know me?" that there are.

Guess they think if we're over 40 we don't hear from anyone or we would be really into the whole being apprecitive for some tired line from the 100th under 25 guy. But have no doubt, there ARE that many guys wanting to do people their mother's age. The disturbing ones? Are the ones I know in real life who are actual freinds of my daughter who I have known since they were 12. Hearing THEY have those kinds of thoughts... that just feels incestuous. (the scammers are usually the not speaking English very well with the model pics and the immediate first email saying they are about to leave the site and want your offline info so they can stay in touch with you because you totally caught their eye and they HAVE to get to know you better... :)
 takilasunrise1
Msg: 55
Posted: 6/21/2012 7:52:29 AM
Wow...guess I had my head in the sand....LOL. I guess I just don't get it because when I was under 25, there would be no way in he** that I would have done a man my dad's age.
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 56
Posted: 6/21/2012 7:58:27 AM
^^

LOL I hear you. Don't feel bad... worst was when I got propositioned by the 23 year old sister of my daughter's boyfriend.

THAT one was especially awkward...

We are definitely not in Kansas anymore...
 takilasunrise1
Msg: 57
Posted: 6/21/2012 8:06:04 AM
I'm still trying to figure out if it's flattering or not..... :)
 ChancesRMD
Msg: 58
Posted: 6/21/2012 11:36:47 AM
Yes and no.

Yes, I have had dates from online and n0, they are not very hard to get.

or

No. I haven't found the woman that I'm looking for online. Or anywhere else for that matter.

I'm not keeping score or anything, but in casual conversation it seems that online dating has as much promise of resulting in a LTR as any other venue.

I met my last wife at work. I certainly would not recommend that to anyone else. (Meeting someone at their place of employment or meeting my ex) I met my last LTR at a bar. Not a highly recommended place either. I heard the grocery store was a good place, but I've been banned from 2 of the local stores already for loitering. Someone mentioned hiking was a good way to meet, but can you visualize me sitting on a log while women walked by say "How you doin?"

Any place is a good place if it happens to work. I've heard some stories about people meeting at places you'd never imagine in a thousand years.

It almost makes you want to believe in fate and destiny.
 SONNI100
Msg: 59
Posted: 6/24/2012 9:51:27 AM
Been here about 18 months...met over 40 (yes, I started counting)..one second date. All but one had lied...
 MsMarketeer
Msg: 60
Posted: 6/24/2012 7:44:33 PM
I've had almost the exact same experience as bedazeled65 and since we are the same age, it's nice to know I'm not alone.

I've tried several sites, some paid, some free. I started out with POF. Its much better now than over two years ago when I first started the online dating thing. Really, it all just depends on the people who sign up and the honesty within their profiles. I personally haven't had issues with false impressions (lying about their lives, or posting old or wrong photos) on POF as much as the other sites. You definitely can't correlate honesty within profiles with the amount paid for membership because I've found the highest fees seem to make for the most elaborate lies. My biggest issues lie with men who either want to propose the first date or who say they want a relationship on their profile, you go out, have a great time, then find they really don't want (or arent ready for) a relationship of any kind.

My biggest frustration is the meanness that some people tend to inflict when they are rejected. I have tried to be as nice as possible, but then the knives are sharpened and embedded without even a thought.

I also think many people post attributes about themselves they WISH they had, versus the attributes they really possess. We all want to paint a portrait of ourselves in a way that will attract a mate (or whatever we are wanting to attract), but we need to make sure we are accentuating the positive, not fabricating a completely new person.
 bcsguy44
Msg: 61
Posted: 7/8/2012 5:43:10 PM
If I could pick the biggest problem for me and online dating it would be that the ladies look completely different in person. New haircut, a few extra pounds, 5 to 20 yr old pics.
 Gargymil
Msg: 62
Posted: 7/8/2012 7:07:13 PM
The biggest problem as I see it is " Me " . I spent 23 years in a relationship and I knew what I had from one day to the next.
Not always a great time but no fear of the unknown for the most part.
Now today, my mood changes from day to day , one day I want a blond the next a redhead , I prefer thinner to not too big average girls . Am I wrong to prefer that ? Yes apparently I am because the ladies that are interested in me are not what I am looking for , would prefer not to offend anyone but each day is a new day ..
Still better to die alone happy ....
 FairlyAlright
Msg: 63
Posted: 7/8/2012 11:54:35 PM

so I was hoping now that its been around a while guys would know that posting pictures from years ago

Have you tried requesting that they send photographs of themselves holding today's newspaper, hostage-style?
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 64
Posted: 7/9/2012 12:36:50 AM
you can do that? ROTFLMHO!!

I post new non-photoshopped HTC cameraphone photos frequently and label them with the date they were taken but a still 2D photograph is not an animated 3D person, so no one is going to look exactly like their photo.

Also, I hear a lot about this magic "click" or "spark", but expecting long-term compatibility after a quick 30 minute coffee shop meet is ridiculous. Too many people treat online dating like a Sears Roebuck catalog...pick what looks good and expect a lifetime guarantee...but it is just a place to make an initial contact. Getting to know someone for who they really are IRL takes time and effort.

And those who exclude a person based on their outside might be missing a person who is wonderful on the inside...the trick with relationships isn't finding the perfect person to love; it is finding the imperfect person who will love you perfectly.
 dgs0402
Msg: 65
Posted: 7/9/2012 5:35:17 PM
I have been on POF for a couple years. Have met a lot of different people. My biggest complaint is they are nothing like their picture. I get so discouraged. Then the ones I think are absolutely adorable will not message me back. I am not good with rejection. I have never had a problem with rejection when I was young in my 20's and could date almost anyone I wanted. I am older now but I keep up with the styles and fashion. I like nice quality and have such a difficult time finding that. So am about ready to just bag it and leave this site.
 Ironmandown
Msg: 66
Posted: 7/9/2012 8:01:37 PM
Not really !!! It seams theres so many deadbeats on here and the women keep choosing them and now when a good guy comes along thier to apprehensive to accept a compliment or even simply write back a thankyou!1 Computers = anonomous + no manors for some I guess???
 Luv_Lyfe
Msg: 67
Posted: 7/9/2012 8:45:36 PM
never did (much), never will. I do best IRL.
 PinkZombies
Msg: 68
Posted: 7/10/2012 6:25:14 AM
Yes, it is. Online dating gives me the tools I need to avoid feeling overwhelmed by the process. For example, if my life takes a hectic turn as it did recently, I'll simply hide my profile for a few weeks. Also, I used to be quite shy but my confidence has grown since I joined POF. I actually enjoy meeting people now. I think I still do slightly better IRL, comfort-wise, though I've met a couple of great guys right here on POF whom I call "friends". I'm in no particular hurry to settle down or find The One. I still want to believe he's out there somewhere, but I don't expect him to ride up to me on a white horse (at least, not anymore...).
 Lionesse19
Msg: 69
Posted: 7/10/2012 11:23:41 PM
sohotxchick

It is not a first date but a first meet, remember that. GO dutch and for half an hour only for a drink. If you hit it off you can make further arrangements. Make sure he contacts you just before the meeting and get ready to expect anything. Good luck.
 minibiker12
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2012 1:19:39 AM
His wife probably found his profile and deleted it.
 Dani156
Msg: 71
Posted: 7/11/2012 10:09:47 AM
I have met quite a few guys,all of them have been nice and polite. I dated a man I met on Match.com for a year.Nice guy and we are still friends,I just never would be able to live with him,so we moved on. I met a very nice one last night,that I am hoping turns out to be something,he seems very interested. I mean if a guy says "your pictures don't do you justice" that's good right?? We arranged another date at the end of this one.

I must say that unlike some people here, I do prefer to email and chat for a while first,lots can be weeded out.
 Dani156
Msg: 72
Posted: 7/11/2012 10:16:27 AM
I must say I don't think the pay sites are any better....I have been on match.com and E harmony,lots of the same people on both here and there. Eharmony just kept telling me and all my friends ...."NO MATCH FOR YOU!!!" for 3 months, totally depressing to see it in print! Here at least I have nothing to loose.
 nativerock
Msg: 73
Posted: 7/11/2012 10:50:52 AM
No cannot say it worked for me.. I think it works better when you meet them some other way.. That way you can naturally gravitate towards one another or not..
 JoseMadre
Msg: 74
Posted: 7/11/2012 11:18:41 AM
It has been mostly amusing, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
 stellavixen
Msg: 75
Posted: 7/11/2012 4:36:00 PM
Thanks OP... it is annoying when people don't look like their pics.

Integrity is everything in my book!

I have met a man I dated for a few months.

Most meet and greets remain just meet and greets.

I am not giving up hope !!!
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Online dating working for you?