Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Online dating working for you?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 stellavixen
Msg: 76
Online dating working for you?Page 4 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
LOL...

After I posted this... I received a sweet message from a hunk.. or I should say... from a profile with hunky pics on it.

And the man claims to be an American military man.... but he was sporting a pic with an Italian soldier's uniform.

Sad... just sad.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 77
Online dating working for you?
Posted: 7/11/2012 8:46:22 PM

After I posted this... I received a sweet message from a hunk.. or I should say... from a profile with hunky pics on it.

And the man claims to be an American military man.... but he was sporting a pic with an Italian soldier's uniform.

Sad... just sad.

I've had a few of those...always very nice looking men, sometimes holding young children and they usually state "widowed" as their marital status. They are looking for a long term relationship, willing to relocate if necessary. The last guy wanted to "get to know me more better. " His exact words...lol

...mae
 raicor
Msg: 78
Posted: 7/14/2012 10:33:31 PM
wonder if we could remove the word dating from this online activity??? dating is a possible result and not the activity here one could assert. yes, i understand the semantics. but, in reality, this is an introduction place. much like a singles event, grocery store, coffee shop, etc.. never hear it called starbucks dating place or safeways dating place or we are going to the singles dating event... maybe i am too old and believe dating is actually a tangible face to face event. :)
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 79
Posted: 7/14/2012 10:48:57 PM
No, I am in full agreement, Raicor. This place is a catalog from which to select a few possible people to meet, and even fewer meets will become a date, and fewer yet will become a relationship. This is the wide end of the funnel.
 FitAtFittyFive
Msg: 80
Posted: 7/15/2012 5:49:16 AM
I will say that I've made some good friends here, and lined up a couple of potential travel-gal-pals, but alas: Chuck Woolery has not yet popped out from behind a bush with a lurve connection for me.

I'd have to agree that meeting people the "old-fashioned" way, particularly if you're both engaged in an activity that you're both into is more likely to be successful. Of course, that usually means getting away from the computer and OUT of the house.
 peten1626
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2012 8:17:23 PM
I have a friend that's been using skype and that seems to help.
 Thornz2000
Msg: 82
Posted: 7/16/2012 9:31:08 PM
MSG: #89
Your not alone man. I feel your pain.
I get up in mid morning do a few things, run to work ( I work swing shift) where I work solo and do not get to talk to anyone and go back home late at nite to a empty house. My dog does what he can to cheer me up at times. I also work many weekends. I make projects and just focus on them. I know my life can be much worse. Yes, sucks not having physical contact from someone special. Its like a type of isolation prison I am in.
Oh well need to focus on the good things.

Seems that this is the normal trend now days. Lots of factors have ruined dating, mainly online.
Look up single activities and vacations.
I was told the single cruise ships was lots of fun by many people.

We are all here for each other.
 Dancing_4_You
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2012 3:42:30 AM
online dating takes some saavy. practice makes perfect as long as you don't attract ax murderers. i've made some really really good friends online, both men and women from the forums. in fact, my long time canadian female friend is coming to stay with us for the holidays. we talk on the phone like we've known each other for years.

for me, it was good to mix online dating with local meetups. i've always figured, this is a networking effort. if not a lover, then a friend or maybe a lover for one of my friends!

i met my guy online and after an initial rough spot, he's been there for me ever since. i dated the first man after my marriage after meeting him online, for two years. he met his next girlfriend here on pof, knowing i was active in the forums and thought he'd try it. was okay by me, as we are still friends.

past the two year mark thus far with hopefully my last ltr :) just multi-task and live an active social life both offline and online. but, i must stress, you have to really want and believe in finding your mate. if you are into axing the opposite sex, that gets jaded and you give up and put out negative energy.

also, whether online or offline, you need some practical insight into coupling. i never quite got it, til this time around. a lot of help from my friends who have been married for over 30 years. they are very practical and yes indeed, a long term relationship goes up and it goes down. the good news is when it goes up, it's like meeting a new guy and all the romance starts all over again. in between, you have your best friend. so, why not increase the odds and go for it?!*

btw, i'm 63 and also have lyme disease. don't look it, but it does limit me. i was not supposed to be able to meet someone. he is younger and i was not in his age search bracket, but he still managed to find and pursue me via a newcomers list and that he did!!! against all the odds. you just gotta believe and if you are feeling lonely or sad in between, cry and keep on searching, but also enjoying the people along the way.
 trench_123
Msg: 84
Posted: 7/17/2012 5:55:31 AM
~~~~~ [So how is it working out for you?] ~~~~~

Hi ya'll, my name is Steve aka "trench". I have been on POF for six months to a year and I have to say "meeting a good woman shouldn't be this difficult!!! I was married for 21 years and she "wanted" the divorce, but in retrospect it really was for the best. I am retired military, 24 year U.S. Air Force Medic...Huuuuuah!! I live in San Antonio, Texas and there are plenty of lovely and friendly ladies to go around. All of my friend's are active, retired, or prior military and mostly married. So for the first time since I was 27 years old, I'm the unattached "single" guy.

I'm 48 years old and wanting to find some companionship, not FWB, not a one-nighter, but something with substance. My friend's and I frequent a local neighborhood bar on a weekly basis...At my age, bars are not the sort of place I expect to meet a single gal at. I am back in school full-time and haven't met a lady to get friendly with, but I am getting smarter....lol. I have meet and had a few dates with four woman. Nothing serious though. I guess what is frustrating to me is that so many ladies "NEVER" reply back (I am an upgraded member so I can see when they read and or deleted my message). I know you ladies get hundreds of messages a day, "can't read them all" blah...blah...What happened to a little courtesy reply saying thanks, but no thanks?? I try very hard to reply to "every" message I get thanking them for their interest and wishing them good luck on their search for a mate.

Anywho, thanks for letting me vent. To all the decent, honest, and sincere fellas out their, good luck!!
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2012 6:27:23 AM
OP, I view online dating almost like playing the lottery. You can't win if you don't play... This is even better though because it's free.

I look at this as just another way to potentially meet someone nice. Just up's the odds and widens the field of singles out there. And, the forums here are fun and informative too... Good luck
 mereimont
Msg: 86
Posted: 7/17/2012 9:25:03 AM
So far, online dating has been a dissapointment for me. I have been on different sites sites for about 6 or 7 years. Most of the men in my age group that are interested in me do not or have not taken care of themselves--hugh beer guts, bad teeth, anything that is unattractive and can been fixed is a turn off to me. Nice-looking men in my age group aren't interested. I get alot of mails from people in their 20's who like "mature women" UGH. Other than the turn-off's I mentioned before, I'm opened to anyone. I think George Carlin was very sexy. I'd be all over him in a minute. However, he's dead.
 mereimont
Msg: 87
Posted: 7/17/2012 9:28:59 AM
Sorry, It's "disappoint." I knew that all along.
 Tgav4367
Msg: 88
Posted: 7/17/2012 9:40:49 AM
I joined about 2 months ago just for the hell of it. Being a transplant to my current location to small town America I felt the online thing would be a simple way to meet some locals since I'm not into the bar scene and did I mention the small town thing?

I jumped into this with the expectations of maybe making some new friends. If more is to be had then that is just a bonus.

So far I think I'm winning at this as I've met some great guys and enjoyed the time spent socializing.

I think you're dooming yourself for frustration and failure if you are expecting to find "the one" from flipping thru profiles.
 altoids49
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2012 1:08:38 PM
I really need to know, do the ladies actually get dozens of emails a day?
 ohenryx
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2012 1:21:11 PM
mereimont
Most of the men in my age group that are interested in me do not or have not taken care of themselves--hugh beer guts, bad teeth, anything that is unattractive and can been fixed is a turn off to me. Nice-looking men in my age group aren't interested.

Any man in your age group who is "nice looking" can easily date a woman 10 to 15 years younger. Sorry, just a fact. (Anyone remember Sgt Joe Friday? "Just the facts, ma'am")

^^^ for the poster above, some do, most don't. Generally, only the very most attractive ones get "dozens" per day.
 statemachine500
Msg: 91
Posted: 7/17/2012 2:39:35 PM

My daughter was on here a few years back and she is attractive.I got all the updates. She and her blackberry had a very bizzy schedule.
 Tgav4367
Msg: 92
Posted: 7/17/2012 2:42:20 PM

Yes. They seem to come in cycles so I figure I hit the rotation again.
 mereimont
Msg: 93
Posted: 7/17/2012 3:21:22 PM
Ohenryx, I knew that. It just makes me sad 'cause I think I have alot to offer. Am I doomed to Tweedle Dum who is 75. I don't want to be a widow right now. As for the other poster, a dozen a day? I don't know. My average is about one a day--today was a man who looked like a cross between Charles Manson and Jesus.
 Tgav4367
Msg: 94
Posted: 7/17/2012 3:41:29 PM
Not everyday which is why I think i hit some type of rotation.
 country1202
Msg: 95
Posted: 7/17/2012 4:59:46 PM
Online Dating has not worked for me at all, at least not in FL, When I lived in TN & NC the women there must see me completely different than they do here, I had the opportunity to date all the time but went out only a couple of times before ending up in relationships, here I have not met one female face to face, and the worst part of that is I am who I say I am, I do look better than my photo, well because I suck at taking my own pics, and I am truly an honest and faithful guy, I tried listening to other people about my profile and that seem to make everyone run, then I stopped, and deleted my profile and rejoined a week or so later, and just put down something simple. So do I think it works, no not here, not for me at least.
 Tgav4367
Msg: 96
Posted: 7/17/2012 5:12:50 PM
Don't get discourage country1202. I'd have responded favorably to a message if you were closer. It's summertime in Florida, everyone is off the computers..
 xenolith23
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2012 7:47:42 PM
No, it hasn't worked for me. I've actually gotten more dates from men I met in the wilderness while hiking, than I have from Internet sites, so that tells you something. As for why it hasn't worked ... good question. I don't discriminate on the basis of height or race, which should give me a better shot than most women. I'm not trying to date someone fifteen years younger. I'm not trying to find a rich man. I'm simply looking for someone more or less like me--my age give or take five or so years, my level of fitness and activity, intelligent and educated, sharing at least some of my interests. It hasn't happened. Most of my colossal failure is (I hope!) is due to my out of the way location in a resort town. Almost all the local men are over-65 retirees or gay men (or, over-65 gay men!) The few straight male locals my own age are usually nice enough guys, but very uneducated folks with whom it's hard to hold a five-minute conversation, let alone date. The emails I have exchanged with local men inevitably peter into polite nothings as we both realize we have nothing in common. I have (much) more in common with men a few hours away in urban areas, but my emails to them almost always are ignored. I'm guessing they also have a much larger dating pool to draw from and no doubt most hope they can do better--i.e. a woman who is younger, prettier, childless, and, of course, not a two-hour drive away. (in the long run, I doubt they can get that ten-years younger woman with no kids who lives right around the corner, but it's not my job to convince fools.) I don't receive 'dozens' of emails anymore since I blocked the 'less than fifty words' emails, which were invariably from twenty two year olds who want to have sex. Or, from men fifteen to twenty years older than me. Men shouldn't envy us those emails; they're no more flattering than Nigerian scam emails (and I get plenty of those too.) All, from my perspective, are basically from people who want to take something from me without offering anything of equal value. Yes, I feel burned out. I still keep my profile up because it doesn't cost me anything (other than annoyance and frustration and disappointment), because the pickings locally are non-existent, and because, well, you never know ....
 ninjaeleven
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2012 7:59:00 PM
I would rather meet a lady on my own, where is the question?

I have even thought of wearing a t-shirt that says, "single, hit me up".
 onlyebony37
Msg: 99
Posted: 7/18/2012 6:50:27 AM
Hello ! I'm new to this online dating ! I don't know if it's me ? But I only met two off here so far! They just act so weird!
 ohenryx
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2012 6:57:49 AM

ninjaeleven
I have even thought of wearing a t-shirt that says, "single, hit me up".

The best message I've seen on a t-shirt, "Don't waste a ruffie on me, I'm easy".

If that won't get you a date, then ......
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Online dating working for you?