Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Justmytypewriter
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Work rant about rich cheapskates.....Page 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

Thats not the point of her opening post and she doesn't need to be berated about it, not appropriate folks, back off. Posters get carried away with picking apart posts to character assasinate, thats bullsh1t.

While most of us think it is a non-issue for him to want the bag credit, organicquetionmark thinks he is being cheap. Thats her opinion and she is entitled to it.

Yes, OP has an opinion about someone she doesn't know and she's entitled to her opinion. By voicing that opinion in a public place, she allowed for other people to form an opinion about HER and her opinion, and these other people are entitled to their opinions as well. They also have the very same right as the OP to make their opinion heard. That's hardly "character assassination." Nice try, though.
 Bishopboat
Msg: 77
Work rant about rich cheapskates.....
Posted: 6/20/2012 10:54:51 AM
Why would you even care?
 lotustemple
Msg: 79
Posted: 6/20/2012 1:17:15 PM

Yes, OP has an opinion about someone she doesn't know and she's entitled to her opinion. By voicing that opinion in a public place, she allowed for other people to form an opinion about HER and her opinion, and these other people are entitled to their opinions as well. They also have the very same right as the OP to make their opinion heard. That's hardly "character assassination." Nice try, though.

That is a very silly argument with a big hole or two. First, he comes into the store alot, so yes she knows him and to what extent you have no clue as it has not been disclosed. Therefore what you call an opinion based on what you perceive to be her opinion mounts up to no more that common gossip and hardly replaces a rational argument. More like Jerry springer he said she said style of communication.
 SpringsDiver
Msg: 80
Posted: 6/20/2012 1:23:50 PM
Lotustemple - First, he comes into the store alot, so yes she knows him

Post # 54

OP - The guy I ranted about is obviously a "regular" (though I'd never seen him) because he said he'd "never been asked that way"
 trinity818
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2012 1:59:42 PM

This thread is so comical now...reminds me of that scene from 'Airplane' the movie where the woman gets freaked out and everyone lines up to slap her.

LMAO. Now THAT is funny. This thread is absolute typical POF forum material.

I can see both sides of this one.
 lotustemple
Msg: 82
Posted: 6/20/2012 2:08:29 PM
Post # 54

The extent to which she knows him was not determined. For example I live in a small town and know more about people than I would like, some I have only met once. Perhaps the other cashiers know him quite well and his previous behavior was discussed in legnth with the manager present after said incident. Perhap he was so rude that it didn't take long to learn he is the abusive type. Bottom line is you don't know definitively, do you? Nor did you ask.

Chew it up all you want springdiver, derailing and picking apart an opening post based on suppositions is petty.
 Schmooopy
Msg: 83
Posted: 6/20/2012 2:16:37 PM
Bottom line: Cheapskates STINK!!!

lol
 red_fir
Msg: 84
Posted: 6/21/2012 5:24:29 AM
And.......

The idea that a dime is not an added cost is erroneous,
Every retailer marks up the price of his goods to cover the cost of doing business, all those silly plastic "discount" cards are actually driving up the cost of goods because the database and the labor maintaining the database aren't free, let alone the cost of manufacture and transport of metric tons of plastic cards.

As someone whose dug his way out from under an enormous pile of debt I can assure you that a dime saved is rapidly a dollar at the ferocious rate of consumerism that we endure, just try it yourself, leave a dime in every store you go into for one week (some kid will thank you) and total your losses at the end multiply that by 52 weeks a year and an average 60 year lifespan as a consumer.......

However I will happily donate to your cause if you will donate to mine, mine wont even cost you a dime,
just put a large can labeled "donate to the Red_Fir Preservation Society" on your counter next to the till and forward the accrued contents weekly to me..........
 femaleconnection
Msg: 85
Posted: 6/21/2012 6:29:03 AM
Id fire the OP if I owned that store.

How dare anyone, never mind a cashier who knows nothing about me, try to guilt me into donating to a cause I may not even believe in? How can I vette at the point of sale how these charities spend the donations they get? How can I ensure it isnt all eaten up by admin costs and advertising? Do you even know how many hard earned dollars go to these charities only to not make it to the hands that need it? Im shopping at this point and my mind is not on charities. I dont have the time at each transaction to educate myself on the charities and how ther money is handled so without being educated, I dont give money. That is a suckers game.

I dress well, I drive a nice vehicle...it doesnt mean Im a sucker for anyone who wants anything. And if a credit is being offered to use recycled bags, then I want the credit like anyone else and the cashier can shut up and do her job. Dont offer a credit if it is going to turn into a guiltfest for anyone who actually wants the frikkin credit. People with money like to be rewarded for recycling same as anyone else.

I have a few causes that I volunteer for and donate money to. When Im shopping I dont want to be accosted, guilted etc to do 'more'. Pack up my purchases as that is your job, make the transaction pleasant and leave me alone with all this donation nonsense. There is a time and place for it, and this is not the time!
 SpringsDiver
Msg: 86
Posted: 6/21/2012 8:32:07 AM
LotusTemple-The extent to which she knows him was not determined.

The fact that she had not met the man determines the extent of her knowledge of him very well, IMO.

LotusTemple - For example I live in a small town and know more about people than I would like, some I have only met once.

You did however meet them, even if only once. the OP has not met the man, as she stated in post #54

LotusTemple - Perhaps the other cashiers know him quite well and his previous behavior was discussed in legnth with the manager present after said incident.

Yes, that is possible, but is not relevant to the discussion of the OP and her interaction with this man. She did not know him.

LotusTemple - Chew it up all you want springdiver, derailing and picking apart an opening post based on suppositions is petty.

There is a big difference between paying attention to all of the details in posts (such as the one about the OP not knowing the man) and picking apart a post. I think it is petty for you to berate someone (post #91) over their opinion while using an argument not based on facts (She did not Know the man). Furthermore, it is petty not to admit your error when I pointed it out in a non-confrontational manner.
 Schmooopy
Msg: 87
Posted: 6/21/2012 1:45:18 PM
Hahahaha! This kills me how people can go on and on about donating a dime, like it's some kind of crime to even dare to ask

Good stuff
 femaleconnection
Msg: 88
Posted: 6/21/2012 2:06:51 PM

Hahahaha! This kills me how people can go on and on about donating a dime, like it's some kind of crime to even dare to ask

Good stuff

I can deal with being asked...I was once a cashier and I know they have to ask....for whatever programs/services they are offering from a store credit card to a donation of some sort.

But the OP said she laments on and on, conveying her feeling on the subject to the point of making a customer feel guilty or uncomfortable. THAT is wrong! I would formally complain if I was pestered at the point of sale once I gave my polite 'no but thanks for asking'. That should be enough. Dont offer a credit to a customer and then try to guilt them out of using it. That is disingenious at the very least.
 pescando75
Msg: 89
Posted: 6/21/2012 2:19:59 PM
Read what you typed, OP!

NONE of us have ANY idea the "story" behind the cashier, the waitress, the librarian.........be respectful to ANYONE you come across throughout the day......good damn grief.

But the guy who won't donate his money? You had him all figured out and knew his "story," did ya?
Gawd I love irony.
 Schmooopy
Msg: 90
Posted: 6/21/2012 4:44:14 PM

Dont offer a credit to a customer and then try to guilt them out of using it.

Ah! I must not be playing close attention (I space out often)
Yeah, applying pressure isn't the way to go
 CoolBreezez
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 6/21/2012 5:20:43 PM
The mistake the OP makes is that she thinks that all people should think like her. And being shocked that some would choose not to give even a small amount to a charity she feels is great.

I've done United way a few times. You learn a few things from it. While the majority do not mind giving a bit to charity, there are hardcore groups that will not. The reasons from not giving are varied. Some are

- I have my own charities that I already support
-I give to my church
- I disagree with things that your charity supports
- I feel everyone should take care of themselves
- giving enables dependence

You will learn you cannot change there minds. It is just better to accept this and move on. As an example, my company gives generously and more every year but can't increase its participation rate for United Way- About 66% of workers.

Also there is donation burnout these day. Many folks get tired of being asked for donations and even worse pressured into it. I kind of agree with this and feel only those that are willing should donate.

I suggest the OP try something subtle, like a sign by her checkout and let folks decide for themselves. Everyone will feel better that way. And don't judge or worry about what others do- they have their lives and you have yours. Do what you feel is best for YOU.
 SSC-SAF
Msg: 92
Posted: 6/21/2012 7:17:40 PM
One of my former employers, years ago, was really rough on the employees about giving to United Way. They wanted to get 100% participation and actually threatened people if they wouldn't sign up. Because this was a facility that was part of a large national corporation, at least we had some recourse to complain up the ladder to corporate HR (and believe me, I did). At that time I was involved with two charities who were United Way recipients and I asked the administrators of those programs about the UW funding. Both of them told me that even if I designated my donation to go to a specific charity, it would not mean that would happen - the UW decided each year to give X amount to each group and that was it. For example, if Charity A was to receive $5000 from UW (this wasn't made public prior to the UW campaign, it was known only to the charities afterwards) - and a hundred people gave $100 each to designate that charity - once the $5K limit was reached, the UW would take the other $5K that was designated to that charity for some other use. Both administrators told me that if I wanted to be sure that my money reached my particular charity, I should give it directly to that charity and bypass the UW.

This was before the big UW scandal, so I don't know if these facts have changed, but I no longer give to UW in any case. I give to my selected charities and that's all.
 Padawan61
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 6/21/2012 9:56:19 PM
One of my former employers, years ago, was really rough on the employees about giving to United Way. They wanted to get 100% participation and actually threatened people if they wouldn't sign up

Hey ... I had nearly the same thing happen to me at a workplace many years ago. Although it was not the employer doing the threatening for 100% participation, a co-worker in my department made the threat. I was livid and told the supervisor that if this person doesn't retract the threat, there will be legal action. This is one reason I hate the United Way. They are a front for extortion. If the UW co-conspirators demand 100% participation, I will give them 100% of my FIST.

BTW SSC ... that Charity Navigator is probably for American charities because when I plugged in the Canadian Cancer Society ... nothing shows up.
 QueenBeeSweetness
Msg: 94
Posted: 6/21/2012 10:58:18 PM
I would have donated the dime, I sometimes donate when asked, but yeah, i can totally understand that people get constantly bombarded with charity requests & just wan to say "hell to the f*ck no leave me the hell alone about it".
 notdating-forumsonly
Msg: 95
Posted: 6/22/2012 5:13:34 PM
It's their decision what they do with their money no matter what amount it is.

I'd prefer to have a sign at the register that gives me that choice whether than being asked each time.

You can't take it personally.
 SSC-SAF
Msg: 97
Posted: 6/22/2012 7:52:36 PM
^^^ Habitat Re-Store is awesome! We have a great Habitat group here and I have worked with them several times. The Re-Store here is excellent.

@Padawan:

BTW SSC ... that Charity Navigator is probably for American charities because when I plugged in the Canadian Cancer Society ... nothing shows up.

Not being familiar with Canadian charities, I would think that's probably the case, but would also think that perhaps there's a similar Canadian "watchdog group" to evaluate the financials of your non-profits.
 Apostrophe7
Msg: 98
Posted: 6/22/2012 8:49:15 PM
Maybe that's how they got to be rich.
 colt8301
Msg: 99
Posted: 6/23/2012 3:32:46 AM

Id fire the OP if I owned that store.

Lol, I was listening to a news program on the home after the work, about a girl who was a waitress Applebee's or Chili's I think, anyway, she felt shi*&y because she only got a $5 dollar tip and on a $150, so she went home and ranted on facebook about cheapskates and then got fired, when i heard that I almost got into wreck laughing because I immediately thought about this thread.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2012 8:15:02 AM
do you lot over the pond have these 'chugger' daftys roaming your streets? they are a pain in the arse. i always thought that giving to charity was a voluntary thing? i do put in collecting tins for the sick kids hospital in edinburgh, cancer research and also dementia charities but thats my lot. i see no difference in what the op was doing to that poor geezer than what these daftys do in the uk

Efforts are being made to stop charity fundraisers who hassle shoppers on Edinburgh's Princes Street.

The clampdown on so called "chuggers" - charity muggers - follows a code of conduct from city centre management and the fundraisers' regulatory body.

Under the voluntary code, the street fundraisers will only be able to work in designated areas and will not be allowed to block shop entrances.

They must also tell people they are being paid to collect for charity.

Essential Edinburgh, which looks after the management of Edinburgh city centre, has agreed the code of conduct with the Public Fundraising Regulatory Association to improve the image of the charity collectors and to cut down complaints about them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-13118090
 Padawan61
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2012 9:51:22 AM
Not being familiar with Canadian charities, I would think that's probably the case, but would also think that perhaps there's a similar Canadian "watchdog group" to evaluate the financials of your non-profits

SSC ... I'm sure there's some sort of Canadian watchdog for this kind of stuff but it sounds like a lot of work finding out about a charity's financials ... just to give away money. It's better to paint them all with the same brush and not donate to ANY. More money in my pocket.
 Apostrophe7
Msg: 102
Posted: 6/29/2012 12:24:08 PM

Because I find it really hard to believe that Mercedes, Lexus, Range Rover riding tight wads really want to save a dime on their grocery bill.

Maybe they like vehicles that can stop on a dime.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >