Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 neck romancer
Msg: 16
view profile
History
For show or really a need for help?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)

I haven't seen any current numbers posted by Big Fish, but last time it wasn't close to 10:1

There was a thread on this and judging by that its no where near that ratio. Infact my area seemed to have the worst male to female ratio of 5:1. But the OP of that thread was a female and in her location there was more females than males.
It would have been interesting to see if that female to male ratio would have reversed the gender roles.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 17
For show or really a need for help?
Posted: 6/17/2012 12:01:59 PM
Personally I think too much emphasis on the ratio of men to women can work against someone even subconsciously. I'm a numbers person, but it's not what the numbers ARE it's their relevance in the so called bigger picture. Big Fish doesn't track the numbers, he can only say at some point in time the number of members online AT that time, and what percent are male/female.

Thinking the odds are more stacked against you because of some random ratio isn't going to be of much help IMO.
 Lionesse19
Msg: 18
Posted: 6/24/2012 6:09:45 PM
There are many more men and they are getting so few responses compared to women. So they think their profile needs work. I am always amazed at how many obscure, badly lit pics, in sunglasses, with other women, their car etc. that men load.

Women typically have more choice and success, even the more average looking ones. I was thinking the same thing yesterday about the percentages that request profile reviews, and yes many more men are not having any success. A woman only has to put up a provocative pic and some come hither wording and she will be responded to. Men are more visual whereas women need more than that, to be interested, usually.

Women also typically have to be wary as men are the predators nearly always. Men who have it going on dont get online so much.

Some men just random hit, start the sex talk straight away and women get leery and sick of all that. They often do not even bother to read a profile and that is patently obvious. So, very different dynamics with men and women.
 Lionesse19
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/24/2012 6:24:06 PM
xxmex
I think some of the requests are really looking for reassurance and compliments. Tweaking a profile of someone who is obese, unemployed, homely and cant spell, for instance, wont make a scrap of difference. I am amazed that they are even mystified why they dont get responses. If they dont do well in real life then being on the net with so much other competition wont bring them success.
 Rawr773
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/24/2012 6:50:15 PM
I've had my profile reviewed because I wanted other viewpoints. I got advice that I liked and would not have thought of myself and took it. They were simple things like timestamping photos and such. People like me like making a good presentation. If I message someone, and they view my profile, I gotta be able to show I am not like other people on this site. So many of the men on this site and spamming letters just to have the other person open up a bad profile then come online to the forums wondering why they are not getting replies.

Why are the reviews mostly from men? Because there are women on this site getting messaged with nothing more than a photo and a profile description of "Will fill this out later." A lot of them keep wondering why they can't get a quality guy but if they keep getting messages with what they got they are continue to follow their fallacy hoping a good guy will come along. They don't realize that when guys like me see photos of a girl holding an alcoholic beverage with her arm wrapped another guy that I click away from her profile. If they got a review they would be told otherwise.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >