Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Living on a shoestring budget      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Lionesse19
Msg: 76
Living on a shoestring budgetPage 4 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
I could say that at 66 you are lucky to have work. You should be taking it easy really and enjoying your retirement years ideally. However that you are contemplating another career is fantastic. Perhaps something you can do at home, on the internet? No physical labour involved. I am sure there are opportunities. I have a small consultancy business to supplement my income and in this day of technology there is so much more at our fingertips.
Most men at your age have health issues I would say and they do want younger usually, but can they get them? They are looking for the housemaid/nursemaid often and do you want to be that? Go for the younger guy is my advice. Not having much money is never fun and it may limit your chances as these days we are expected to pay our equal share and rightly so.
 Welsh474
Msg: 77
Living on a shoestring budget
Posted: 6/21/2012 7:08:54 PM
^^""Most men at your age have health issues I would say and they do want younger usually, but can they get them?"" Geez, you're 65 yourself and again you're making comments about men the same age as you. And as for "dating younger" - how's that working for you?

Nothing is guaranteed - not health nor wealth. It shouldn't preclude you from dating, it just limits you. I want to contribute and I don't want to feel used nor use someone. So having a limited amount of money may put a cramp on certain things, it doesn't put a crimp on all things. We have to pick and chose. I want to be able to contribute, I don't want to use someone or have them use me.
 notdating-forumsonly
Msg: 78
Posted: 6/21/2012 9:33:19 PM

Yep. My thinking exactly. One year in a full service nursing home can cost up to $250,000.

^^^ or a car wreck

I had the car wreck 4 years ago and the medical costs were about 250,000 ( very bad wreck). Carry the best insurance you can- I'm glad I had it.

Part of being fiscally stable is being responsible. Having your ducks in a row with the 4 main legal docs:

Will
Living Directive and Durable POA

Will try to post the rest of this later-
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2012 7:16:55 AM
I can't speak for Canada, but I CAN speak for the United States....and private insurance rates to cover such things as long term care, and nursing home care -- well the premiums can be equal to, or greater than someone's monthly income of $2,000 or $3,000......that's why many Americans do not have that kind of coverage.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2012 7:22:26 AM
notdating, you are correct about having the living will and durable POA. and carrying the best insurance you can. But how many can afford "carrying the best insurance?" Between paying for my private disability insurance, the best auto insurance, the best homeowner's insurance, and the best liability insurance my premiums are about $5,000 a year!

I am fortunate that my job comes with wonderful employer-paid health insurance benefits. But if it didn't, the monthly premium would be $2,000 a month -- something that I could NEVER afford!
 tbicon
Msg: 81
Posted: 6/22/2012 7:23:40 AM
My health insurance premium for a family of four is 1500 per month. The system in the us is broken. Ovama care, even if it survives scotus, willvdo nothing about costs.
 nativerock
Msg: 82
Posted: 6/22/2012 7:24:17 AM

I can't speak for Canada, but I CAN speak for the United States....and private insurance rates to cover such things as long term care, and nursing home care -- well the premiums can be equal to, or greater than someone's monthly income of $2,000 or $3,000......that's why many Americans do not have that kind of coverage.

Wow that is a lot of money to lay out each month.. I am lucky my additional insurance only costs me $70.00 a month..However we pay a whole lot in taxes to cover our medicare here.
 DragonBits
Msg: 83
Posted: 6/22/2012 8:08:58 AM
I know in Thailand a native pays $30 a year for health care, but you have to be a citizen. I can call a doctor at 9:00 AM, get an appointment for 12:00, pay maybe $20 for a visit, then get whatever procedure I need at 50% - 80% less than the USA. The Doctors in hospitals that cater to foreigners and richer Thais are all trained in places like Oxford. They don't order tests to cover their rear, as it's much harder to sue them there. Many travel to places like that as as a medical tourist, and the travel is tax deductable. I had a friend that needed carpal tunnel surgery, in Thailand it's $500, in the USA it's $6000. And the hospital is a nicer facility. I got some filings done, maybe $20 each.

My mother pays $600 a year for long term disabablity, but she has been paying that for 30 years without using it.

No doubt in my mind in the USA we pay at least double if not more because too many middle men, too many lawyers suing over everything they can dream up, and the AMA limits the number of Doctors to keep prices artificially high.
 rearguard*2
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2012 8:10:21 AM
Yes, in Canada we have "Fair for all" taxation: Only about 30 percent of the people pay any tax at all, and of those, 30 percent pay 70-80 percent of the taxes collected. You see, its "fair" that those who work, save, live within their budgets etc pay for "free" health care, education, social services, roads, sewers, police and housing for all those who don't work, save or live within their budgets.
 DragonBits
Msg: 85
Posted: 6/22/2012 8:21:33 AM
The AMA influence on keeping medical prices high is quite extensive.

Books point out that advertising and bargaining can result in expulsion from the AMA and legal revocation of licenses.
 Ready_Real
Msg: 86
Posted: 6/22/2012 8:43:54 AM

Also read the threads about using a coupon or 2 for 1 dinners and how so many think it's tacky

Those "many" are probably the same "many" who think that leaving 1/2 of their dinners behind --- where restaurant laws mandate that they will most certainly be tossed in the garbage dumpster -- is tacky.

In this connotation, i'm proud to say, "count me among the tacky."
 ohenryx
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2012 9:27:09 AM

jsphn11
Women with limited resources are not desirable either.

mjinict
^^^^^^^By some, not all. :)

Yeah, yeah, we get it, you’re very desireable. But you might be just a tad more attractive if you would ease up on the self-promotion just a wee bit?

Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Also read the threads about using a coupon or 2 for 1 dinners and how so many think it's tacky.

Ready_Real
In this connotation, i'm proud to say, "count me among the tacky."

I have never understood that, and I probably never will. If someone else picks up the tab, why should you care how they cover it, as long as they do?
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 88
Posted: 6/22/2012 2:23:03 PM

Women with limited resources are not desirable either.

It depends on how good-looking she is.
 Notricksters
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2012 2:27:52 PM
Gwendolyn, You are right looks enter into this online dating. Are you living on a shoestring, or don't you have any prob.'s in that area?
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 90
Posted: 6/22/2012 5:14:51 PM
Notricksters, I answered this question earlier in the forum. :)
 mjinict
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2012 7:01:59 PM
But you might be just a tad more attractive if you would ease up on the self-promotion just a wee bit?
-----------
What, all I said is that not all men judge a woman by their income.
 jonabella
Msg: 92
Posted: 6/23/2012 6:44:46 AM
I think finding the match you want
is really all U need.
if ..money is key
is love the answer..?
one is necessity the other is desire.
..some ppl take their relationships to heart..
..some ppl stretch their wallet way past their heart strings
as long as time is on our side
we can
 amethyst10616
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2012 7:14:48 AM
I cannot understand why it is tacky to get a take-home box, regardless of who pays, instead of overeating or wasting food. The portions are huge usually and frankly, it is just too wasteful to me to throw out what has been paid for. I take it for lunch the next day.

What is tacky about not being wasteful?

I carry disability insurance, life insurance, dental insurance, and health insurance through my job. I also have home and car insurance. My monthly insurance costs are about $500 a month. I did have hopes that the U.S. would have some insurance reform to make health insurance more affordable for everyone. I am grateful that I get decent rates through my job, but I am paying close to $6000 a year overall. Health insurance should be affordable for everyone, but it is not at this time. I have a co-pay and 20% in addition on my plan. It is a necessary expense, IMO.

I live frugally, but I am not cheap. I think it is just smart to make the most of your dollar.
 mjinict
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2012 7:36:49 AM
I totally agree. Doggy bags and coupons/2fers make good sense.
 robin-hood
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2012 12:08:02 PM
I don't think its so much about your health or wealth, but more so how you got there, and what your doing about it.

I have little compassion for those who knew better and continue to abuse their body or spend their self into poverty. Especially to those who make little effort to help themselves.

As for finance, if you can't live within your means then someday it catches up. But then again there are those who fall upon circumstances beyond their control.
 amethyst10616
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2012 2:44:34 PM
I agree, there are different reasons for financial strife. I have worked two extra jobs for quite some time to dig myself out of medical debt. It just takes one catastrophic illness such as cancer or a long-term illness that requires hospitalization to derail a lifetime of careful choices.

Dating on a shoestring can be fun with the right person. There is a huge difference between frugal and cheap. It is all about making the most of a dollar or squeezing your pennies so tight that Abe screams. Cheap is never attractive.
 largo2
Msg: 97
Posted: 6/23/2012 3:27:01 PM
If I can't eat the meal and someone else was paying, I would order something smaller. I do think it's tacky to ask for a doggy bag on someone else's dime, and I also think Its tacky to order more food than one can eat.

I would have a hard time letting someone else pay if I was taking it home.
 amethyst10616
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2012 4:04:27 PM
Well, I do not understand that thinking, but to each his own. I do order the small meal, but there are times you go to places where you are unfamiliar with the portions. I do not like to waste, and to me, it is just foolish to feed the garbage instead of people.

Please explain, if you do not mind, what is tacky about a take-out container? My thinking is that if I paid for someone's meal and they could not eat it all, I would appreciate that they want to take it home. Where does that tacky come in? Is it that the thinking is that you are so desperate that you cannot buy your own food? I did read on another thread that one man said that if a woman asked for a doggy bag, he would not ask her out again. I consider myself a woman of good manners, but I never have heard of it being tacky until I read these forums.

Would you take it home if you paid for it? What about if you make food for someone in your home, is it considered tacky to send the leftovers home with your guest? I am just trying to understand the whole tacky thing.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2012 4:53:08 PM

I don't think its so much about your health or wealth, but more so how you got there, and what your doing about it.
I have little compassion for those who knew better and continue to abuse their body or spend their self into poverty. Especially to those who make little effort to help themselves.
As for finance, if you can't live within your means then someday it catches up. But then again there are those who fall upon circumstances beyond their control.

I agree in general. My partner and I are both well off but nothing was handed to us. We made choices in life. I worked in three countries before Canada and my girlfriend in two before Canada. Last year I bought another Toyota Corolla when I could have plunked cash down for a Mercedes. When travelling, if alone, I stay in hostels instead of 5 star hotels (actually enjoy hostels more).

I have no idea how an adult can plunk down $25 for a pizza unless they have a couple years' salary in the bank. What if they lose their job? Sacrifice a bit and laty a good financial base and life then becomes a lot easier.
 mjinict
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2012 9:48:51 PM
I had doggy bags on first meets, when he paid, lol. Sometimes the portions are too big, and I was probably a little nervous.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Living on a shoestring budget