Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > How important is a Good Photo..??      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BurtonGusterJr
Msg: 26
How important is a Good Photo..??Page 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I guess that depends on the person looking at the persons account
 Bazinga_42
Msg: 27
How important is a Good Photo..??
Posted: 6/23/2012 4:59:30 PM
Most people would say put up your best looking photo. I personally like to put up photos that represent more me. There is a big difference. However your best looking photo will probably get you more views though.
 natgoat227
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2012 5:13:25 PM

If you're going to include a photo of yourself with friends, make sure the friends aren't more attractive than you are. I've often times been more attracted to the friend than that of the person owning the profile.

Haa-a-a-aaa...!!
That has one has been moving up on my list for years!!
9 out of 10 times....you can Bet your S/A that I'll be more attracted to ~The Other person in the shot~ than the owner of the profile!
I actually saw one, recently, that had a Main Pic of 3 young boys....no older than 12!!!
I'm a former military Photographic Spec., so I'm rather critical about other peoples work...
Find someone that Knows how to handle a camera! It'll save almost 3 paragraphs of writing!
A GOOD Pic...?
One person in the frame...
Head and shoulders or full-length...but not from 50' away..!! [Unless that's an Improvement]
Long, flowing straight or wavy hair...
Big expressive eyes...
Sufficient make-up to accent facial features, but not applied with a Roller...
Nails (When shown) about an inch long...rounded, slightly pointed...
Jewelery...Pierced ears are attractive...
Nose, Lip and/or Eyebrow make her look cheap...anything more ~Personal~ can be judged on sight...
Vertical...(unless in a prone position...)
In Focus...
A SMILE...(goes a L O N G way to _Attracting_ men...)
There's Nothing so ~Door-slamming~ than a shot of a woman that looks like she was just dropped off a Harley
...on a dirt road
...at 40 MPH...!!
Clothing?
Anything Purple will get My attention...
The Little Black Dress is Overrated....show some Color!!
 ShadyCanady
Msg: 29
Posted: 6/24/2012 12:49:51 AM
I think a photo is the way to go. So i put one up and like a previous poster I took mine with laptop and it wasn't the best photo ever. Whats funny is I got a message from a lady saying I should change my photo and it turns out she didn't even have her own photo up!!
 Shawn-O-
Msg: 30
Posted: 6/24/2012 3:42:22 PM
I always figured a photo, was similar to seeing someone out in public, its the very first impression we have about them. You can get a good idea on how people are based on how they dress in thier photos. But of course the only way to know, is to correspond with them.

Just like shopping, we all want to buy the product that looks the best and has the best ingrediants.

So ya ... definately put up a good photo of yourself, along with some everyday photos too. Its a bit of a shocker when you meet someone and they don't look anything like the pictures they posted in thier profiles.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 31
Posted: 6/24/2012 3:43:40 PM
Pictures are a hook, but if they do not truly represent the person, they are moot points--even deceptive.
 HappinessOK
Msg: 32
Posted: 6/24/2012 4:00:36 PM
A good photo is very important if you are seriously looking for a partner or how else are you going to attract someone? Obviously the person behind the pic is far more important...

I'm not currently serious so Thats why I dont have one :)
 Phil_an_derer
Msg: 33
Posted: 6/24/2012 4:20:41 PM
I'm a social experiment; when I post pics I get quite a few compliments and I get many want to meet thingy's ....so when I get bored I post my pics and my inbox fills up.....
 bay_shore
Msg: 34
Posted: 6/24/2012 4:23:06 PM
Poor photos are the probably the biggest reason why people don't get replies to their emails. The types of photos that are turn offs to me are just head shots or photos that are blurry / distant. The shirtless photo depends on the circumstances. I don't mind a shirtless photo of a man at a beach. But a shirtless photo of a man flexing his muscles at a mirror can be a turn off.
 Sasyecats
Msg: 35
Posted: 6/24/2012 10:24:41 PM
A sincere smile always gets my attention.
I avoid the sunglasses pics. Really, what are you hiding or hiding from?
 mingo88
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2012 10:52:28 PM
Stray Cats, I beg to differ with what you stated. Actually I would be VERY attracted to a man who had a few pics of him and his cats as I LOVE cats and would have no problem with this. It would mean we had something in common.
 redbird_too
Msg: 37
Posted: 6/24/2012 11:05:22 PM
I don't understand when people say they have no good photos. Some even put it in their captions: "I know this isn't a great photo, but ..." My thoughts then are (a) they don't care enough to represent themselves in their best light, and (b) they don't have one friend they'd trust enough to take a good photo of them for this purpose.

Personal peeves are OLD photos and the creepy, half-lit, serial-killer-in parents'-basement-staring-into-webcam shot ...
 DallasSBF
Msg: 38
Posted: 6/25/2012 6:22:08 AM
Shy2anne

I can not email you but the cam is all you needed. JUST remember to raise your cam (computer) to face level. Make sure there is plenty of light, think of something that makes you happy and smile.
 happy_in_pink
Msg: 39
Posted: 6/25/2012 6:27:56 AM
You asked. What is a turn off with the photos ?

No smile, no shirt, the bath room cell phone photos. No class what so ever. The photos holding the fish, guatiar, another woman. Photos of just your car or motor cycle.
 thepigofyourdreams
Msg: 40
Posted: 6/25/2012 6:43:27 AM
A hot chick is a hot chick. I don't give a shit how she's posing or what she's posing with.
 grove_22
Msg: 41
Posted: 6/25/2012 7:15:20 AM
Msg 37

People with sunglasses aren't necessarily hiding something. Perhaps the photo was taken on a bright day. Or some people think they look more cool or hip with sunglasses. I have rarely an attractive person wearing sunglasses become much less attractive after removing the sunglasses.

Msg 41

Holding a fish or guitar simply shows a man's interests.
 mrwma
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2012 7:52:21 AM
I think the photo is very important.............I decide to read a profile buy how much I like the photo.
 DrummingNut
Msg: 43
Posted: 6/25/2012 8:16:20 AM
I know someone personally, out in 'real' life... met him a few times at drum circle... 50 yrs old.
He just joined PoF. Was surprised to see his profile pop up.

The 3 photos he put are EXTREMELY photo-shopped to smooth out the skin!! And one is a several years old picture.
AND he put 5'9" when I know durn right well he's a bit shorter.

~insert eye roll here~

Come on people... be real! (yeah right, I know.. I know)
 surfaceofficer
Msg: 44
Posted: 6/25/2012 8:25:08 AM
I took this photo around about mothers day.

Since I've taken it...my luck in getting replies and receiving messages has doubled easily. I've even messaged women who I didn't get a reply from before and got replies this time!

Needless to say...it matters a great deal more than I originally thought.
 charlie_girl_2
Msg: 45
Posted: 6/25/2012 8:37:51 AM
Gosh, OP, your age seems to get much younger each time you sign up on POF. But if I am mistaken, I do apologize.
In answer to your question, I think good photos are important, but more so are recent photos, I mean, come on, photos taken 15-20-30 years ago are so obvious!
 wanderer1999
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2012 9:49:43 AM
Photo's that are recent and are flattering are good.

Couple easy tips ... eliminate camera glare from skin/glasses, don't be so close up that I can see every skin blemish (nobody's skin is perfect so best not to advertise your skin flaws too much).

Smiles/smirks are good, angry/unhappy is bad.

Clothes that are mismatches are bad... don't wear spandex or ultratight clothing if your figure doesn't play well to it, in fact, don't wear spandex/ultratight clothing in general if you want to be taken seriously. If you're a guy, don't wear speedo's. Ever. No really, NO speedo's.

Clothing that is feminine is a bonus. Sweatshirts, baggy clothing just makes it look like you're trying to hide something. That cardigan may be comfortable but it makes a woman look 5-10 years older. Blouses, skirts, dresses, or properly fitted jeans are all winners. Bikini shots are okay, but only if they're not the Only photo's that are up.

Old and grainy photo's, photo's that look like you just rolled out of bed, and photo's that are too risque are generally bad if a relationship is your goal.

Men generally prefer to see at least one full length shot on a woman. Body type matters to Men. Don't try to mislead regardless of your body type, there's always a man who will find your body type attractive whether you are a BBW or ultrathin.

My personal point of view is that a photo should reveal enough to give the viewer a decent impression of your physical appearance, but does not need to show so much that there is no mystery left. A bit vague I know, but that's the best way I can describe it.

Don't know if that helps but good luck to all.
 Greatcatch12345
Msg: 47
Posted: 6/25/2012 10:15:55 AM
its like money in the bank..its VERY important...if they dont like the outside..they wont look inside..ie: photo/profile.
 Thomas_Andronicus
Msg: 48
Posted: 6/25/2012 9:33:24 PM
I think I should be able to put up a picture of a potted plant up if I want to. You gotta see my face? No you don't. Have I got something to hide? Have I got secrets? You bet I do.

This is the computer age. There are pictures and videos of women plastered all over the internet. Can anyone say sensory overload! Real life baby. Real life. That's all that counts.
 adora71
Msg: 49
Posted: 6/25/2012 10:09:25 PM

Most people would say put up your best looking photo. I personally like to put up photos that represent more me. There is a big difference.

I agree with this statement 100%.

And photo turnoffs for me are cars, motorcycles, and other women.
 abrandnewstart1973
Msg: 50
Posted: 6/25/2012 10:20:50 PM
It is what it is, whether or not people will admit it, its about looks which means the better your photo the better your chances on a dating website or in life will be. Problem is if you aint got nothing going for you in the looks department then your pretty much screwed. Sad but true lol
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > How important is a Good Photo..??