Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > How important is a Good Photo..??      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 smokincigars
Msg: 51
view profile
History
How important is a Good Photo..??Page 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I pay the most attention to photos that are sharply focused, well lit and obviously not professional "glamor shots". That doesn't rule out all portraits, since a lot of ladies use professionally taken family portraits or pictures that were taken for work or a church directory, and those are (usually) fairly honest representations of how they actually look.

I always look for a smile, and maybe a hint of a good sense of humor. The "head shot" is essential; candid snapshots and vacation photos are also good. Please don't include group photos with your friends; your BFF might look better than you do, and that can actually work against you. I'm not interested in photos that don't include the lady -- pics of the children, grandchildren and pets without the lady herself aren't such good "advertising". A variety of settings is good, as long as the pictures are fairly recent and show you as you look today. If an image is so small I can't tell that it's you, it's not a good choice no matter where you are or what you're doing.

I prefer to see a woman dressed flatteringly, which usually doesn't mean showing a lot of skin. One shot in a swimsuit is adequate, unless you spend nearly all your time on or near the water. I'd rather see how you look when you're dressed for typical activities we might enjoy together.

A few women seem to like using head shots and then cropping them so tightly that parts of their faces are outside the shot -- bad idea, it makes me wonder what you're hiding. Others include obviously older pictures, including their baby pictures or shots taken from a high school yearbook. (The latter might be marginally acceptable if you're still under 20, but beyond that they're just history -- and you might even be competing against the younger version of yourself by showing how much you've changed.) And some plumper or older women who have their chins in their hands are obviously trying to hide something -- come on, ladies, if your face is pretty a little jowl or saggy chin isn't a deal-breaker for many of us guys, especially if we're older or carrrying some extra pounds too.

The more "honest" profile pictures are, the better I like them. The worst thing anyone can do is post a bunch of pics that don't show your real, current, everyday appearance, then meet someone expecting you to look like your pictures.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 52
How important is a Good Photo..??
Posted: 6/26/2012 4:34:44 AM

Holding cats in yours
does not make the ladies swoon.

I beg to differ, but I am not looking anyway...
But I would say many good suggestions in here...a nice, recent, smiling pic is best!
 thepigofyourdreams
Msg: 53
Posted: 6/26/2012 5:33:54 AM

IDK how having no picture at all is better than having cartoons added and being creative.

I'd like an explanation for this stupid shit, too.
 HeartOn64
Msg: 54
Posted: 6/26/2012 5:46:19 AM

The more "honest" profile pictures are, the better I like them. The worst thing anyone can do is post a bunch of pics that don't show your real, current, everyday appearance, then meet someone expecting you to look like your pictures.

It might be time to follow your own advice and zoom out so we can see your body too.
 purfectmeow
Msg: 55
Posted: 6/26/2012 5:47:27 AM
As the saying goes we dont get a second chance to make a first impression.
That is with a pic and our profile content.

I sure did get a ton of mail when I had a pic of my boobs hanging out,
and meets were way more entertaining. I need a new "hot" pic, lol...
 Dolphina
Msg: 56
Posted: 6/26/2012 6:07:03 AM
I am more interested in meeting the person face to face than the quality of their photograph. I'm actually not sucked in by good/bad photos and prefer to read what they have to say in their profiles and when we start to share posts. By the way, natgoat, I found all those dashes and dots and question marks visually unpleasant and it is that kind of thing that would disuade me from contacting the person who produces them.
 andy1961
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2012 6:20:59 AM

thats why i dont even put a picture....ppl just think all different kinds of crap from a just picture. i think from a picture u can tell what the person is trying to convey, and sure some conclusions can b drawn from what their trying to convey....but u still dont know all that much about them from a picture......i think people will draw conclusions to quick based on a photo. 5 or 6 different photos are maybe 5 or 6 different days in a persons life...there are 365 days in a year... i think some people might have pictures from 1 or 2 or more years range.....its just some pictures that they picked....who knows why....maybe they just were on a hurry to put some picture on....maybe they show a picture with friends cause they wanna show their popular when really who knows if they r really some devil worshiper who cant stand day light....or they picked a picture cause they thought they looked good in it.... sometimes u dont know stuff about someone after uve lived with them....u really think u can draw conclusions based on a picture? i would just advise to think twice after uve analysed a picture and try to understand the person a little bit more without prejudice....u know just give it a chance and hope to b pleasantly surprised..... :)

From start to finish, a whole long ramble of silly, nonsense excuses for not putting a picture up.

What a load of absolute crap!
 OutMind
Msg: 58
Posted: 6/26/2012 6:50:00 AM
Very important.

However you do. Do not smile. Make sure you take a photo with your phone by a mirror in the bathroom. Make sure you are not wearing a shirt, or take one next to your motorcycle, car or sailboat.
 DallasSBF
Msg: 59
Posted: 6/26/2012 9:06:21 AM
When I first joined I didnt put up a picture and YOU get NO responses at all. THEN you put up one and get tons of response. Then you get questioned if it is you... suggested it is glamour shot or asked for more. Damned if you do and damn if you dont.
 ShelbySask4friend1
Msg: 60
Posted: 7/3/2012 2:37:09 AM
I love photo s ...
 cooldog65
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2012 3:33:17 AM
Peeves me right off when they are only half naked. I wanna see it all, preferably back and front, and a little bit of bending over wouldn't hurt either!!!! They can leave their hat on, if they want.

I want to see if the carpet matches the drapes!
 purfectmeow
Msg: 62
Posted: 7/3/2012 5:45:35 AM
Owh Owh~ I Match!!! You dont get to see a good pic though.
 MyHandsHurt
Msg: 63
Posted: 7/3/2012 12:35:47 PM
Good photos are key.

I hate seeing guys (who take the worst pictures) with the shirtless, bathroom, one flash look. Also, show me your car in person, ok? Also, it's great that you have travelled but do all photos have to be in front of something from Taipei? I want to see your face and style, not a waterfall. I want to see a photo that you haven't pointed at yourself, so show me a friend. However, do not show me group pictures of you and your soccer team or drinking buddies. I have to know it's YOU. I don't want to see you at the gym, but I need to know how your body looks in clothes. Finally, I can usually tell if your pictures are 8-10 years old.

Oh, fun fact: don't send a photo from a magazine ad that is clearly professional and in no way can be you.

Thank you for letting me sound off on this.
 InMyOwnTime25
Msg: 64
Posted: 7/3/2012 12:51:57 PM
I think a good photo is like the most important thing on here. A good profile is important too but attention is caught by the photo.
 Another_Romantic
Msg: 65
Posted: 7/3/2012 1:57:39 PM
Although I agree on deleteing the shirtless photos and I read profiles thoroughly before sending any message I can't help that pics are what grab me.
I fall for the ones that show at least 1 good head shot, 1 in action (doing something they love)
 PhotoGirl870
Msg: 66
Posted: 7/3/2012 9:50:02 PM
I can't stand blurry pictures. I don't expect professional quality pictures on here but at least don't make them blurry.
 OregonCowgirl2012
Msg: 67
Posted: 7/3/2012 11:35:54 PM
I will not look at ANYONE without a photo! When I look, I like to see a clear and recent head shot and full body shot. Keep your shirt on and have your friend take your photo. I hate seeing your toilet in the mirror. Ew. It is also good to see you with your friends and with your hobbies and interests. Having said that, if I never see another middle aged man with a motorcycle, it will be too soon. Just because you have a bike, you are not a bad boy and therefore more appealing! There are also actually men who post photos of their cats- just the cats. EEEEK! ~~ Just as important as the good photos are good headlines and photo captions. Spelling counts! So does originality. If you say that you are going to put a headline in later and don't bother to do it now, you may have missed your only chance! Do you think I am going to bookmark you and come back and see if you have posted something witty in a few days? Hell no! I am moving on and looking for someone who had the wits about himself to post something interesting in the first place. Try to be appealing!
 Fleuron
Msg: 68
Posted: 7/3/2012 11:44:51 PM
I’d rather see an empty head silhouette with a great sense of humor and a healthy attitude than a bunch of stupid pixelly pictures that will mean absolutely nothing when he opens his mouth.
 DarthPhoenix
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2012 1:20:01 AM
Women can work wonders with a camera man lol! Their pictures are so deceptive it makes no sense. I've just about seen it all lol! I always ask for a full body picture becanse many of them will try to hide their bodies.
 02hdf150
Msg: 70
Posted: 7/4/2012 5:26:38 AM
It's amazing to me how many profiles I come across where women aren't smiling. They just look angry in all of their pictures. I automatically think that woman isn't very happy and doesn't like her life much. I know it may be wrong for me to think that but pictures are the first thing that grabs your attention before you get to the actual profile.
 Capn_America
Msg: 71
Posted: 7/4/2012 6:56:42 AM

Worthless.
It takes a miracle to date on here anyways. With the amount of crap you`ll see in different "dealbreaker" threads, it's a surprise anyone gets out of their houses anymore........................

I used to think I was insane.
I discovered coming here that I have a LOOOOOONNNGGG way to go.............
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 72
Posted: 7/4/2012 7:05:04 AM

1 in action (doing something they love)

We are not allowed to post THAT on here..but maybe in private images....
 cr4zycupcake
Msg: 73
Posted: 7/4/2012 12:51:59 PM
How important is a good photo? Bloody important
 MDIYM59
Msg: 74
Posted: 7/4/2012 4:13:44 PM
I find that I will check a womans profile with a bad photo to get a better look just as much as I will check a womans profile with a good photo. I'm just weird that way, lol.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 75
Posted: 7/4/2012 4:41:48 PM

Vital. And not just one good photo ~ I need to see a number of them here and then there is the infamous cell-picture-bounce-back-and-forth that happens LONG before I will agree to meet anyone in person. I learned my lesson LONG ago about old/fake/PhotoShopped pictures. There is NOTHING worse than arriving to meet someone you've never seen before. I will never understand those who do not understand that tricking someone into meeting is not going to end well. Personally? I don't post my "best" pictures online for one reason: I'd much rather be a pleasant surprise than an unpleasant disappointment. But? Not everyone does it how I do it. JMO
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > How important is a Good Photo..??