Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > How important is a Good Photo..??      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Fleuron
Msg: 68
How important is a Good Photo..??Page 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I’d rather see an empty head silhouette with a great sense of humor and a healthy attitude than a bunch of stupid pixelly pictures that will mean absolutely nothing when he opens his mouth.
 DarthPhoenix
Msg: 69
view profile
History
How important is a Good Photo..??
Posted: 7/4/2012 1:20:01 AM
Women can work wonders with a camera man lol! Their pictures are so deceptive it makes no sense. I've just about seen it all lol! I always ask for a full body picture becanse many of them will try to hide their bodies.
 02hdf150
Msg: 70
Posted: 7/4/2012 5:26:38 AM
It's amazing to me how many profiles I come across where women aren't smiling. They just look angry in all of their pictures. I automatically think that woman isn't very happy and doesn't like her life much. I know it may be wrong for me to think that but pictures are the first thing that grabs your attention before you get to the actual profile.
 Capn_America
Msg: 71
Posted: 7/4/2012 6:56:42 AM

Worthless.
It takes a miracle to date on here anyways. With the amount of crap you`ll see in different "dealbreaker" threads, it's a surprise anyone gets out of their houses anymore........................

I used to think I was insane.
I discovered coming here that I have a LOOOOOONNNGGG way to go.............
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 72
Posted: 7/4/2012 7:05:04 AM

1 in action (doing something they love)

We are not allowed to post THAT on here..but maybe in private images....
 cr4zycupcake
Msg: 73
Posted: 7/4/2012 12:51:59 PM
How important is a good photo? Bloody important
 MDIYM59
Msg: 74
Posted: 7/4/2012 4:13:44 PM
I find that I will check a womans profile with a bad photo to get a better look just as much as I will check a womans profile with a good photo. I'm just weird that way, lol.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 75
Posted: 7/4/2012 4:41:48 PM

Vital. And not just one good photo ~ I need to see a number of them here and then there is the infamous cell-picture-bounce-back-and-forth that happens LONG before I will agree to meet anyone in person. I learned my lesson LONG ago about old/fake/PhotoShopped pictures. There is NOTHING worse than arriving to meet someone you've never seen before. I will never understand those who do not understand that tricking someone into meeting is not going to end well. Personally? I don't post my "best" pictures online for one reason: I'd much rather be a pleasant surprise than an unpleasant disappointment. But? Not everyone does it how I do it. JMO
 TJ1776
Msg: 76
Posted: 7/4/2012 4:58:58 PM
Good pics:
Body shots -- withOUT the landscapes.
Face shots.
Smiling.

Bad pics:
No smiles. Makes me suspicious.
Any pic that she is not in.
Group pics. I'm sure she's in there somewhere!
Landscapes (where she's too tiny if she's in the pic at all).
Pets (I want to see you not your pet).
Kids (not relevant to my decision).
Skiing pics -- you're all bundled up like the abominable snowman!
Bed pics. Really?
Explicit butt pics. Again, really?
Fingers in your mouth. Yet again, really?
Talking on the cell phone. Couldn't even hang up long enough to have your pic taken, huh? Mental note...
 Attercop
Msg: 77
Posted: 7/4/2012 5:05:00 PM
The approach to the photo generally indicates the approach to the profile, the online process, and I suspect maybe even to dating and life itself.
so
My most hateds were badly focused shots of a messy room where the cellphone in the mirror appeared larger than the person's head. Reduced to thumbnail it looks even more like a jumbled mess, and I didn't really much care whether the mess was due to lazy inattentiveness vs. clueless ignorance.
but lately
I saw a couple cool photos I find pleasing to look at in thumbnail. Both were in black and white. One I spotted in the forums, of 3-4 young guys in black suits caught in mid-air in front of a white wall. The other rolls across the top of my inbox of a man in a tuxedo simply standing by 3 black cows.

I'm not looking to meet, but I can't resist an interesting photo. And that's supposed to be the point -- to make us click on the profile, even if out of a "what the hell is that?" reflex.
 cooldog65
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2012 5:50:54 PM
^^^^^
I just read your profile. Wow...many great nuggets of truth in there. You have an exotic look to you, a big plus.
 charlie_girl_2
Msg: 79
Posted: 2/4/2013 7:45:15 AM
Some great comments here.
I'll add another. People who insist on current photos yet, post theirs that obviously have been on POF for a very long time. I'm referring to the photos with the POF notice on the lower edge. I'm not sure, but I think POF stopped with that notice well over two years ago. Still, for anyone to continue using them, and on many profiles as the only ones, in my opinion is not a good idea.
 stanstedonian
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2013 8:05:29 AM
Hey Andi xx I wanted to ask your opinion about my smile!? and shirt, i tried to send you a message, it seems im just to old now tsk; i blame the parents! xx Ian
 Life_Is_Better
Msg: 81
Posted: 2/4/2013 8:55:34 AM
Markus and his staff will tell you that having a photo is important. Having a good photo helps. The comments on this thread aid in determining what comprises "a good photo" - for some people. BUT, in reality what is a photo, or even the written profile? I suggest that if anyone is here on POF to truly meet someone, then one should not rely on either. With today's "tools", are you really looking at a true photo of a person?? It is not just that people use out of date photos to appear younger, but with tools such as photo-shop, who knows what the real individual looks like IRL. As far as the written word goes, do we know who actually wrote the words in the profile? It is like a resume that one has paid to have done for them; the individual can hardly recognize themselves in the description.

The concept of how important is a good photo is relevant to some who post pictures. I would suggest that more important is that some people do NOT post photos. I am guilty myself in that I quickly reject many who's photo is not appealing to me. Without a photo, those who are not photogenic (for whatever reason) might stand a chance in that their profile might get read - if a good profile id and a catchy come on phrase is used to pique a person's interest. But many who never get any feedback should strongly consider whether or not having a photo posted is a good thing.

Conversely, many who have great photos posted, lose on the profile description.

As one gal wrote, no one shows or writes about whether or not they have hairy legs; but as to insight in to the person, wouldn't you like to know.

Actually meeting and talking with any individual is the only way to go. Photo or no photo, good photo or not, well-written profile or not, IF you are not meeting in person, you are on POF for the forums.
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 82
Posted: 2/4/2013 12:29:06 PM

A good fake photo can fill up one's inbox.

With today's "tools", are you really looking at a true photo of a person??

Indeed.
 OutMind
Msg: 83
Posted: 2/4/2013 2:14:28 PM
I hate photos with sunglasses and no smile.
 Life_Is_Better
Msg: 84
Posted: 2/4/2013 3:49:11 PM
It's too bad that we can not identify profiles in the forums, for there are some with excellent photos - and not of the cheesecake variety either. They say that a picture is worth a thousand words - and in some cases as far as eye appeal on a dating site goes - worth more. I just came across one of a gal that was so "elegant" - the picture of her was tastefully done, a good shot of her face, dressed up with makeup yes, sitting at a restaurant table probably, smiling for the camera while holding a wine glass. One just wanted to check out her profile. (Too bad she lives far away from me otherwise I would send her an email telling her the above.) Simply put, if one is serious about "dating", a good photo is essential and worth the effort to have and provide.

It would benefit this thread if there was a way to show examples of how to pose a good photo - not a professional shoot, but a decent, simple shot anyone could take. While there are some here on POF, they are rare. It is easy to say what to avoid in a photo. I do know that in the case of many photos, people need to have some positive criticism for many photos turn people off instead of attracting their eye and interest.
 DevilfromToronto
Msg: 85
Posted: 2/4/2013 4:25:16 PM

your admission ticket
 DontAskMe2CarryUrPurse
Msg: 86
Posted: 2/4/2013 6:50:48 PM
In person, the eyes and the smile are the most important to me, but on-line, I look at hair styles. How cheesy or behind the times are they? Interpreted another way, are they stuck in their ways?
 niceguyga2011
Msg: 87
Posted: 2/4/2013 8:51:33 PM
I firmly believe, if you are not photogenic, or have professional reasons not to post a photo. I wouldn't waste my time with internet dating.
 niceguyga2011
Msg: 88
Posted: 2/4/2013 8:52:23 PM
Actually if I had my way, only 2 photos would be allowed. A full nude body shot of front and back. That's it.
 rockstar_ocnj
Msg: 89
Posted: 2/4/2013 10:24:28 PM

I always ask for a full body picture becanse many of them will try to hide their bodies.

I never understood this one. And a lot of them are "Unidsclosed body type"... If you're not attracted to a girl that's overweight, what does she think is going to happen the day you two meet?

But on topic, your picture is going to make or break you on this site. If you're generally seen as attractive, you'll have people actually read your profile and maybe message you. If you're generally considered ugly, it's going to be hard to even get the time of day from someone that's desperate. Because it's the internet, every one of us should be #1 on time's top 50 sexiest people.
 NonamousDog
Msg: 90
Posted: 2/5/2013 9:09:36 AM
It seems to be part of the expectations of online dating that in order to get messages or replies, you have to post a photo.
These expectations are constantly reinforced by posters in these forums proclaiming that they would never message or reply to anyone who does not have a photo.

Years ago, people ran 'lonely hearts' classified ads in newspapers and actually got replies because of the lack of an expectation of a photo with the ad.
 DevilfromToronto
Msg: 91
Posted: 2/5/2013 9:17:54 AM

Years ago, people ran 'lonely hearts' classified ads in newspapers and actually got replies because of the lack of an expectation of a photo with the ad.

people change with the changes of the world, people no longer like this ^^^ or pen-pal styles of decades ago !!
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 92
Posted: 2/5/2013 3:08:41 PM

people change with the changes of the world, people no longer like this ^^^ or pen-pal styles of decades ago !!

Changes are not always positive.
And another example of that is that now it appears that one needs to have a photo- good OR bad- onsite, just to view the "who viewed me" list.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > How important is a Good Photo..??