Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Interesting article about the "godfather of global warming"      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SSC-SAF
Msg: 26
Interesting article about the godfather of global warmingPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I agree, but let's see. Oil wells = 153 years. Fracking = 60 years. How much longer do you want to study it? I'm not being a smartazz, just wondering how long you would prefer to study fracking and its effects.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Interesting article about the godfather of global warming
Posted: 6/28/2012 8:04:55 PM
Did you read that link? Not just a question of study but finding proper ways of wastewater disposal and how to deal with incidents when and if they happen. Kind of like when there is an oil spill as in having a plan of attack in case of emergency.

That and being more transparent on what chemicals are used in the process. Something the article said that I did'nt know, The wastewater from the process is 20 to 30 times more saline than seawater. Plus, it contains radioactivity. They were injecting it into deeprock injection wells but they are filling up.

I guess I mean knowing how the process effects the environment and putting proceedures into effect to minimize the damage. More like implementation than study I suppose.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 28
Posted: 6/28/2012 8:07:16 PM

Perhaps you don't realize that methane seeps , as well as petroleum seeps, occur naturally...

Perhaps you do not realize that there are people who have been affected by fracking and the practice of pumping chemicals into the ground is not a good thing for anyone other than the people making money from it.

Though if you feel so strongly that it is not a problem I have a friend that lives in Pennsylvania that would be happy to send you some of his tap water for you to drink. Now mind you if you have issues with barium, arsenic, manganese, and glycol compounds you may want to pass.

Articles like the one you posted are there to help governments reduce the powers of agencies that oversee these actions by spreading more misinformation and it is happening both in Canada and the USA as environmental agencies are losing their budgets and being cut.
 CoolBreezez
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2012 8:21:28 PM

Sort of? That sounds like waffling, rather than an answer.

Here's the thing about science, we're ALWAYS learning more. Things aren't always black and white - one cause does not always equal one result, and vice versa.

Best answer to a dumb comment I've seen on this thread. Black and white thinking is a big problem with something as complex as an issue as this. Right now we have clues - best to investigate them, look at all the factors, trade these off, discuss them and come up with a best solution. This is what engineers and scientists do, rather than paint things as all good and all bad, as some folks, like politicians, like to do.

There's a difference between releasing the ingredient information and releasing the quantities of the ingredient information. The former is necessary for safety/regulation (see drugs and pharmaceuticals), whereas the other is something they're entitled to hold secret. If Mercury made your sausage taste better, do you think it's something that the company deserves to hold secret? No, because you'd be poisoned. Mind you, that was a rather extreme exaggerated example.

Full disclosure of the chemical formulations with easy access to information would be best in an ideal and honest world. Unfortunately, this has been tried and information has made its way into the wrong persons hands, such as competing companies. Chemical companies are uptight about their proprietary information being leaked out from their own customers to the competition. This leads to the corporate health and environmental officers having to guard it and only release safety precaution statements and vague ideas of content.
Its a tough dilemma to be in really. It relies on a lot of good faith , professionalism, trust and judgement. You can always be accused of reveling too little or too much.

Now if someone were to try to hide something bad or illegal in their chemicals from the authorities, they should be fined and beaten to the full extent of the law. Such behavior is irresponsible and reprehensible. It does the industry no good to have actors like this causing harm to people and the industry as a whole. Unfortunately, human nature being what it is, there are people always that are wankers.
 Neopoli
Msg: 30
Posted: 6/28/2012 8:37:10 PM

Though if you feel so strongly that it is not a problem I have a friend that lives in Pennsylvania that would be happy to send you some of his tap water for you to drink. Now mind you if you have issues with barium, arsenic, manganese, and glycol compounds you may want to pass.

Diclorothane, dibromoflouromethane, toluene bromoflourobenzene, acetylene, strontium,barium, arsenic, manganese, ethylbenzene, ethane, bromide, sulfur, lead, magnesium, cadmium, mercury, radon and glycol compounds are also in my water.....even traces of oil......as tested BEFORE any fracking took place. Typical Appalachian ground water that humans & animals have been drinking and fish have been swimming in for thousands of years.

These are naturally occuring elements that are present in ground water. They are all within safe limits, as they naturally occur. Even treated city tap water contains all these elements.

Without being anywhere near any kind of well for hundreds of miles, you could have enough naturally occurring methane in tap water to ignite it.

True. Deadly methane pockets have been released simply by drilling a new WATER WELL.
 SSC-SAF
Msg: 31
Posted: 6/29/2012 6:36:01 AM

Perhaps you do not realize that there are people who have been affected by fracking and the practice of pumping chemicals into the ground is not a good thing for anyone other than the people making money from it.

Perhaps YOU do not realize that I live in Pennsylvania, right smack in the middle of the Marcellus Shale, and I'd bet that I have done a lot more research than you have since it directly affects me (good or bad).

We also have coal mines and oil wells here, which can affect the water quality. I have always enjoyed my tap water no matter where I've lived in PA. The water authorities send out the testing results on a regular basis.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2012 6:46:25 AM
ssc

imagine living in pennsylvania and drinking the water there
tsk

surely you should listen to the canadians who know ALL about these things in pennsylvania

shame on you missus

p.s. scottish tap water is the dogs bollocks

In 2010 Scottish Water carried out nearly 324,000 tests on water at treatment works, storage reservoirs and consumers' taps. Of the 155,302 tests on samples taken directly from taps in homes, 99.83 per cent met the standard. This compares with 99.78 per cent in 2009 and 99.14 per cent in 2003, the year after Scottish Water was formed.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2011/08/25101241

(saying that the canadians have not verified this report so it may be lies)
 SSC-SAF
Msg: 33
Posted: 6/29/2012 6:51:08 AM
I know, Vlad, I know...my bad...I only live here, so obviously a guy who doesn't even live in the same country (let alone the same state) knows a lot more than poor ignorant me. Guess I should just bow to his superior knowledge.
 Neopoli
Msg: 34
Posted: 6/29/2012 7:49:17 AM

We also have coal mines and oil wells here, which can affect the water quality. I have always enjoyed my tap water no matter where I've lived in PA. The water authorities send out the testing results on a regular basis.

True. But others think that mining coal & pumping oil in the region were/are responsible for the multitude of those "poisonous chemicals" that are present in our regional water. That is furthest from the truth.

ALL OF THOSE CHEMICAL COMPOUNDS IN MY WATER SHOWN IN POST #33 ARE ALSO NATURALLY OCCURING IN COAL.Untouched natural coal seams blanket the entire region. Pennsylvania crude oil is also naturally occuring & abundant. Both that coal & oil are as close as only a few hundred feet underground, which is where our ground water supply springs from. These naturally-occuring chemical compounds found in naturally occuring & yet-untouched regional coal & oil deposits leech into the ground water supply, much the same as it has leeched for hundreds of thousands of years. They have nothing to do with present-day fracking, coal mining, or oil wells. They are all NATRUALLY within safe limits set by the EPA.

Our underground water aquifers flow thru vast untouched underground coal seams. Everything evil people associate with coal is part of the very ground water that us moronic, racist-a$$ed West Virginians & neighboring Pennsylvanian/Appalachian regional humans & animals have been drinking, fish have been swimming in, & trees have been absorbing for thousands & thousands of years.

The wastewater from the process is 20 to 30 times more saline than seawater. Plus, it contains radioactivity.

Not much different than the wash water you send down the drain after washing a load of laundry with typical laundry detergent that contains up to 20% sodium. Sea water is only about 3% saline. The radioactivity comes from naturally occuring in-ground radon, abundant in the Appalachian region, & also naturally occuring in its ground water & shale deposits.
 tropicalfish12
Msg: 35
Posted: 4/17/2013 6:04:52 PM

Every time a volcano erupts, it spews thousands more times the toxic ash and emissions into the air than all the factories and cars in the world combined.

If this is true then all the debate about global warming is out the window!
 DessertTray
Msg: 36
Posted: 7/31/2016 7:33:00 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/07/29/study-west-antarctic-poster-child-global-warming-getting-colder/

I guess it's believe wtf you want to believe and piss all the facts out the window.

"What all this means, in plain English, is that the climate alarmists have just gone and lost one of their most cherished poster children."
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 37
Posted: 7/31/2016 7:38:27 PM
Out of curiosity, which hard science is your PhD in? And when did you win a Nobel Prize?

I ask because everybody who understands the science and every Nobel Laureate is pretty damn clear on this. Global warming represents the greatest existential threat to life on this planet in recorded history.
 DessertTray
Msg: 38
Posted: 7/31/2016 7:49:25 PM
Science? Science deals with facts. Cite some. Other than it was hotter in Philly today than anytime in 20 years. We've all heard the "consensus" bullshit but I've got news for you science isn't up for a vote.
 chinook1111
Msg: 39
Posted: 8/1/2016 5:32:50 AM
I seem to remember a scandal in Britain,scientists on a mission falsified data over years and years.

That said,I am distrustful of fracking.Oilsands you can deal with on the surface.
 deetristate
Msg: 40
Posted: 8/1/2016 5:50:18 AM
If you place a can of oil on your grass for any length of time, the grass will die.
If you turn on your car in an enclosed area, after a time, you will die.
I don't understand how anyone can deny that modern times and creations have/are negatively affecting the environment and we need to make some changes.

Is the ice disappearing in Iceland and the poles appearing elsewhere?

Most tap water in the USA is fine to drink- because other chemicals are used to remove the bad chemicals.

What I see in the denyers is a determination not to change for the better of society.

Maleman999
Msg: 41
Posted: 8/1/2016 9:38:27 AM

There are times when I feel like my car is the number one cause of global warming. (lol). When I get into my car on a warm or hot sunny day, the inside temperature seems to be about a million times hotter than the outside temperature. So where does all of that super-heated air go when I roll down the windows? You would think with the technology available nowadays, why can't car manufacturers design a car that doesn't turn into a blast furnace when it's parked? Not everybody has a garage or carport to park their car.
Posted: 8/1/2016 10:42:45 AM
^ You'd think that one of the car manufacturers would think of making part of the roof a solar panel which blows air through the car when parked...or helps top off the batteries for when it does so when the sun isn't shining (but then if the sun isn't shining it wouldn't be the problem that we're talking about)...cause it'd make their cars more attractive if people had that option of their car being cooler in the summer when parked.
 treber2
Msg: 43
Posted: 8/1/2016 12:44:31 PM
^^^ you can buy an aftermarket solar powered fan for autos on Amazon, FWIW.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 44
Posted: 8/1/2016 10:06:59 PM

I seem to remember a scandal in Britain,scientists on a mission falsified data over years and years.

Non-scandal--> Gish Gallop instead. . . .
http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming/solutions/fight-misinformation/debunking-misinformation-stolen-emails-climategate.html#.V6AoXt4pDeM
 427cammer
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2016 12:21:32 AM
deetristate:

If you place a can of oil on your grass for any length of time, the grass will die.
I don't understand how anyone can deny that modern times and creations have/are negatively affecting the environment and we need to make some changes.

You're right, vehicle emissions are poisonous and we should do what we can to reduce them.... problem is, how do we agree on solutions? Over and over again I see where we keep getting it wrong.

For example:

- if there was a magic button we could push and all the problems of producing reliable electric cars were solved and in ten years 50% of all vehicles sold were electric (this is all insanely optimistic in my mind), where would the extra electricity come from?

Right now in northern British Columbia (where you'd find Canada's highest concentration of treehuggers), they are preparing to flood a gorgeous river valley of the best farmland in the province in order to build a hydro-electric dam.

-modern diesel vehicles, because of new emission laws, are less efficient than previous engines.... they burn more diesel and produce more emissions... just less harmful emissions (according to the eggheads anyhow). In cold climates these engines are utterly detested by truck drivers because of reliability issues.

-we have brainiac politicians who arbitrarily decide that by the year 20XX an auto manufacturer's vehicles have to average such and such miles per gallon. Companies like Ford, Dodge and Chev are forced to add extra models to their lineup in order to offset their traditional best sellers.... full size cars and pickups with v8 motors. These efficient North American cars are usually poor sellers compared to Japanese autos where people traditionally look to find cars with good mileage.

.....so.... extra cost to our car makers with little benefit.

-and I could go on and on. So could a lot of other guys who work with their hands for a living and are intimately familiar with what is needed to make a car go down the road. It's amazing to me how very few politicians, and even scientists, and in general people who make their living shuffling papers DO NOT know about automobiles.

What I see in the denyers is a determination not to change for the better of society

I consider myself a sceptic and I think that's healthy.
Posted: 8/2/2016 10:38:41 AM

^^^ you can buy an aftermarket solar powered fan for autos on Amazon, FWIW.

Yea, but those are ugly, and who wants to fool around with some aftermarket thing. It's not sexy. Something like this that's designed in and part of the original car would be a sexy option that I'd think manufacturers would consider for making their vehicles more desirable.
 Sandbyday
Msg: 47
global warming
Posted: 9/15/2018 1:58:16 PM
People Are Cracking Up At This Video Of A Weather Channel Reporter Being A Little Dramatic

So dramatic! Dude from the weather channel bracing for his life, as 2 dudes just stroll past.

“This is about as nasty as it’s been,” Weather Channel reporter Mike Seidel says

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/tanyachen/people-are-cracking-up-at-this-weather-reporter-being
 Clytemnestra
Msg: 48
view profile
History
global warming
Posted: 9/15/2018 3:28:23 PM
^^^What is this world coming to if you can't even trust the weatherman. I, for one, am crushed.
 daynadaze
Msg: 49
view profile
History
global warming
Posted: 9/15/2018 4:15:49 PM
That was funny. Lots of news is fake, that's no reason to believe conspiracy BS. But yes, the other people in the scene strolling in the background was hilarious.

My thing with future predictions is that they may or may not happen, but more importantly, what outcome will messing with these things bring. Of course gas cars damage the environment but what damage with cars running on batteries do. These things need a whole lot of thinking through.
 purplerider1200
Msg: 50
view profile
History
global warming
Posted: 9/18/2018 9:04:15 PM
Well, lithium may be the big polluter, in battery powered cars. A casual scan of pricing of Prius batteries, those will cost you a cool $1600 to replace, provided YOU are the one that does the work. I hadn't checked on how much it is just to ship that thing. Just for reference, buying a fender or hood, will cost at least $175 bucks to ship it. I can assure you, that battery will cost a good deal more. (Oh, don't forget to ship back the old one. That costs, plus the core charge of $500 charged to you. That is money you get back- to cover SOME of the shipping charges.) Keep in mind that this is a REMANUFACTURED battery. Meaning that is a used battery. They, at least warranty it for 3 years-36,000 miles. So it will crap out one month out of warranty, or 36,050 miles later.

Will something be coming down the pipe that's better? Eventually. Battery powered cars are in it's infancy. They played with them some, like the Woods Electric, or Detroit Electric car. A number of experimentals came and went. Something, I think, is going to have to replace lithium. Back in the day, atomic was thought of. Wouldn't that be dicy? A nuclear powered car, in a car wreck?

Maybe, just maybe, it's time we have a few less scientists studying climate change, and have a few more start coming up with something to power this world that doesn't pollute? Who'd be more popular? The one that said we're screwing up the world? Or the one that came up with something that saved it?
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Interesting article about the "godfather of global warming"