Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > What's the difference between "dating" and "hanging out"?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 tampasmiles
Msg: 38
What's the difference between dating and hanging out?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
It is very subjective...so you will have to ask each woman...

but to me...dating equals having sex....maybe it is from watching too many movies where the prostitute asks the guy...are you looking for a date?

hanging out ...is what I do with my girlfriends and non-sexual friends...usually involves doing something that is of a common interest...I hang out with my art friends...I hang out at the beach with my girlfriends...I hang out when there is nothing better to do...
 MeggieMugster
Msg: 39
What's the difference between dating and hanging out?
Posted: 2/18/2013 11:55:16 AM
Your confusion is understable, so let me interpret for you. I speak pretty well perfect womanese.

"Dating" means that they are banging whoever it is they are "dating". Don't confuse this with "I'm looking to date" which means that she wants you to take her out, probably spend money on her, but will not likely bang you unless you have really good game.

"Hanging out" means that she'll bang you if you have decent game, are good-looking enough. Think of it as not Mr. Right, but good enough for Mr. Right-Now. The good news is that you may get banged and she's likely to leave right after. It's better though, to "hang out" at her house so you can just wipe off on the curtains and leave.....

If you aren't very good-looking and don't really have any game, "hanging out" means that you are the equivalent as the gay boyfriend.

... smiple, really....

I totally disgree with this. Just because your hanging out or dating, doesnt necessarily mean your banging the person. Maybe in your eyes, and in your world.

To me hanging out means you can hang out, date other people. when you say your dating, it sounds more exclusive, and you might as well be offical if your just dating one person. but if your dating around, you might as well say sleeping around.
 stayinalivefl
Msg: 40
Posted: 2/18/2013 12:46:53 PM
Judging by some pics I've seen........some are almost hanging out..lol.

""""Alas poor gentlemen a dog is always far more faithful."""""""'
& always happy to see you when you come home.....lol .

stayinalive-2-44691
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2013 7:59:56 PM
Iona bob--

gotta' agree with you. i was with someone who was on this site for 'dating'. in her mind this meant we did mostly what she wanted to do--when she wanted to do it--and i paid for everything. what a great deal ! using this ploy she could go out every night on someone-elses' dime. i think this technique is pretty much reserved for the female set. we didn't last long.
 mark777771
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 2/18/2013 8:33:28 PM
Doesnt matter what they call it. Hanging out, dating, etc. If they like you and find you attractive it will become a full relationship. But after a date or two you'll know what the deal really is. Just dont spend a lot time and money until you know.
 kari135
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2013 7:29:43 PM

gotta' agree with you. i was with someone who was on this site for 'dating'. in her mind this meant we did mostly what she wanted to do--when she wanted to do it--and i paid for everything. what a great deal ! using this ploy she could go out every night on someone-elses' dime. i think this technique is pretty much reserved for the female set. we didn't last long.

And that's worse than someone who wants no strings sex how? Nearly everyone who puts anything in their profile has their own interpretation of what they think it is. I'm clear about what I will and won't do, most especially once a correspondence or phone calls start. I do get a lot of messages from men who say they just want to hang out - and we do have a lot of interests in common - but they also expect sex immediately. Me, I want to know who I'm doing, but so far the only ones I've come across who are willing to accept that are either way too far away or liars. It's a real waste of time when someone you spend months or a year or more getting to know turns around and tells you they ''used to do all that and more before that first heart attack.'' Sorry, but I'm not a total couch potato. Or yeah, they do want someone to hang out with cuz it's lonely going to a restaurant for breakfast or lunch alone - but they also want sex immediately cuz they don't need those little pills, wink wink.
 NonamousDog
Msg: 44
Posted: 2/20/2013 10:36:46 AM
Do you mean 'dating' as synonymous with 'going steady'? Or do you mean 'dating' as in going out on dates with various people?
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > What's the difference between "dating" and "hanging out"?