Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Deleted1a2b3c4d5e
Msg: 27
Do weddings make you jealous? Page 2 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
What I do tend to find is myself wondering about the reason for the wedding especially when it's a church wedding for a bride and groom who are not religious in any way. It doesn't happen often in my social circle but I have occasionally attended a big church ceremony for a couple who have no religious belief. That's always puzzling to me as the social/family expectation of that has reduced over recent decades.

Can't speak for the rest of the world, but in the US, churches have often been strong resources for children ( youth activities ), immigrants ( many have some type of outreach program) and the elderly ( many use it for a type of social network) While the bride and groom might not have religious beliefs themselves, logistically it's difficult to find affordable venues for the number of weddings out there if churches were not used. Churches are designed for crowds, have parking, and usually have some method behind their geographic location. The fees collected from wedding proceeds often get funneled back into keeping the church running.

I'm not a religious person myself, but I see church weddings as a win/win, even for the non religious. Churches, many, do have many functions and activities that help the community in need. The community structure of the congregation, even if you took religion out of the equation, has saved many a wayward youth since the dawn of man.

Dating is merciless. Most people are merciless. The working world is merciless. But often in many communities, churches are seen as one of the few socially acceptable venues for any type of mercy out there, even if you took religion out of the equation. I'm not religious myself, but attending church as a youth probably helped me to become a more well rounded and better person. Though everyone elses experience might vary.

Something no one seems to discuss is that any wedding, whether good or bad, usually has a positive effect on our economy. People need services and jobs are created and people can find livelihoods. I don't have a negative view of weddings myself. Marriage might be a different story, but the basis of the actual ceremony does impart some good for the entire community.
 Pinky127
Msg: 28
Do weddings make you jealous?
Posted: 6/25/2012 6:27:10 AM

Everybody stand, everybody sit, everybody stand, ugh. I've had more fun at funerals.

^^ Omg,too funny and i so agree!
 vestaceres
Msg: 29
Posted: 6/25/2012 6:40:11 AM
OP: If the love is sincere within the couple, why would I feel "jealous." I would not feel threatened of losing something I don't have. Secondly, there isn't enough love in the world; so it's encouraging to see it when it does come around, even if it doesn't involve me.
 carolann0308
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2012 6:50:52 AM
A little. The last one I went to was for a couple about my age. I was jealous that they made the leap so lovingly after each came out of bad relationships/marriages and they did not allow the past to mar the happiness they found together. They took the big chance.
They had been 'dating' for years, lived together etc. Most people I know never take the risk again in their 50's. They'd rather just co-habitate and remain separate on paper to avoid the pitfalls of a possible 2nd divorce. Hard cold reality takes all the romance out of life.

It was beautiful. It gave me hope.
 knt3
Msg: 31
Posted: 6/25/2012 7:01:25 AM
I've never been crazy about weddings. Was married twice and other than my own, I've only been to two others. It's a bunch of crap that stems from someones fantasy while blowing money that could be better spent.
 grantfl80
Msg: 32
Posted: 6/25/2012 7:23:20 AM
Weddings never have and sill do not make me jealous. I was married and we had an elaborate wedding. It was one of the best days of my life. Wish the good times would've continued longer. But I am happy for people who take the plunge. Perhaps they're better at it than we were...

G
 TedJMill
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2012 7:25:49 AM
I was at a wedding recently where they wrote their own vows. And my reaction was that the one time I'd seriously considered marriage, I was wrong, because I couldn't have honestly said I felt that deeply about her.
 Sensitive_Writer
Msg: 35
Posted: 6/25/2012 3:29:20 PM
Do wedding make me jealous?

Nope, not at all. Weddings are highly over-rated these days. All I see when I see a couple getting married is the cost......why spend thousands of dollars and start out your new life together, already in debt. It just makes no sense to me, whatsoever. And as for seeing a couple in love and saying the "I do's" doesn't make me jealous either....I am happy that someone found what they were looking for.

Story about the cost of weddings. At a function for work, I was talking to my boss's husband about weddings and the cost of them. I told him that my ex and I were married for under $500, and he was shocked! Told me that he and his wife spent over $25,000 for their wedding and that they were still paying for the wedding, four years later. Weddings are big business these days.....and an unnecessary expense, as far as I'm concerned.
 Archangel_07
Msg: 36
Posted: 6/25/2012 3:39:05 PM
-----------------------------------
Nope not at all. Weddings are a lock down till death does you part and should be taken seriously but in this day and age, people are not taking marriage seriously enough these days.

Mankind traditional Wedding:
Spend a whole bunch of money for the wedding hall or where ever, decorations, money for tuxs for the groom and groomsmen and dresses for the bride and brides maids and maid of honor, a priest to put your hands together and bless your marriage ( which both of you won't take seriously bride and groom ) in front of all her and his family to see. Spend more money for a reception hall and food and booze and watch everyone have fun, get drunk and dance the night away. A year later one of you files for divorce ( because one is not happy with the marriage and does not want to work it out ) and even that will cost a crap load of money on top of that, fighting in front of family, fighting each other, fighting in front of the paralegal,lying and cheating on each other. Yeah how does weddings make me jealous? I'll keep my money in my pocket and stick to wanting to have a relationship.

After seeing how society's weddings are like, I'm a lil cynical about mankind's traditional weddings

Silverhawk_tkn
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2012 3:44:25 PM
Nope - not in the least.

I shake my head and think about the same couple 10yrs from now......and how much alimony and C.S. the guy could have saved if he thought with his big head instead of his little one..............

Yup.....been there done that. I actually feel sorry for them........
 Rawr773
Msg: 40
Posted: 6/25/2012 5:58:16 PM
They don't make me jealous because when I always get the backstory to why the wedding happened. The things behind the scenes of couples is not always what you see at the ceremony.

Plus a lot of couples divorce nowadays quite quickly showing how truly devoted they were to each other.
 Anthonypie
Msg: 41
Posted: 6/25/2012 6:02:37 PM
No. Weddings dont
 WildDNA
Msg: 43
Posted: 6/25/2012 6:11:05 PM
You know what they say...

Marriage is grand, divorce is a hundred grand"

Let them enjoy the moment while it lasts.
 Maleman999
Msg: 44
Posted: 6/25/2012 6:46:29 PM
I remember going to some and feeling jealous if the bride is a real hottie. But after seeing them a few years and a few kids later, the hottie wife is now overweight and looks like a worn down mother and has rapidly aged. That's usually cures any lingering jealousy.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 45
Posted: 6/25/2012 6:47:31 PM
Actually, two school friends of mine, met up by chance a couple of years ago. They hadn't seen each other since we all left school in 1986. They are now engaged to be married and I was very honored when they rescheduled the wedding and pushed it back a year to coincide with my next visit home. So, I'll have a wedding to attend, my sister's 25th wedding anniversary and my parent's 50th wedding anniversary, all in the same trip. Should be a great trip.
 BurtonGusterJr
Msg: 46
Posted: 6/25/2012 6:49:26 PM
I love wedding, I'm going to my friends wedding in October in St. Thomas I get to suit up and drink for free
 daynadaze
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2012 6:49:46 PM
Jealous, no, but when I was much younger I use to be quite jealous of anyone who had someone. Then I watched them through the years and usually found I was glad not to be them. I am impressed when couples last and neither seems to be cheating, etc., that's impressive. But bad or just boring relationships make me happy to be single.
 Sportsfreak89
Msg: 48
Posted: 6/25/2012 9:03:13 PM

What I do tend to find is myself wondering about the reason for a church wedding especially for a bride and groom who are not religious. It doesn't happen often in my social circle but I have occasionally attended a big church ceremony for a couple who have no religious belief. That's always puzzling to me as the social/family expectation of that has reduced over recent decades with the availability of a non-religious ceremony being held at many different locations.

I agree with that statement 100%. People who have weddings should do it like the last one I was at in September 2010: Have a sports themed (or whatever theme the couple agrees on) wedding that takes place at a local park. Everyone brings food and drinks and throws wiffle balls instead of rice when the couple walks back down the aisle.

That and have those who are set to stand do a dance type entrance like the one that can be seen in the "JK Wedding Dance Entrance" video on Youtube. That is how you should start a wedding off.

I mean after all the couple should get to have at least one more thing to enjoy before marriage, right?
 Dropsfromjupitor
Msg: 49
Posted: 6/25/2012 9:39:26 PM
I don't get jealous of teh cost if the wedding hehe lol..but yes it's natural for ppl to envy and be jealous of something you/they yearn for :)
 adora71
Msg: 50
Posted: 6/25/2012 9:55:28 PM
I don't know if jealous is the right word, but they definitely give me some mixed emotions. I went to a wedding recently and my thoughts were around how much it cost (why spend so much money on one day?) and how self indulgent the tradition is (the whole bridal party and 6000 photographs). The love part is a bit trickier. I would love to have that kind of love again one day, and seeing that it exists (even if it doesn't work out in the long run) helps to give me hope.

BUT there is also a small part of me that thinks I am an awesome person and that the universe is cruel because it hasn't sent me anyone to share my life with in the past few years. I wouldn't label this feeling as jealousy, I would say it is more along the lines of abject self pity. Oh well.
 Seashellsbytheseashore
Msg: 51
Posted: 6/25/2012 9:58:53 PM
Maybe for the wedding and not the marriage.
 DomG79
Msg: 52
Posted: 6/25/2012 10:02:23 PM
Every time I see a couple holding hands, kissing, etc., I feel a degree of jealousy. I seriously feel a pain in my chest, like my heart is breaking literally.
 onlydateIF
Msg: 53
Posted: 6/25/2012 10:20:27 PM
They're great fun and I love a good love story, so weddings are inspiring and I'm happy for the couple!
 rockondon
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2012 9:30:03 AM
Jealous of a wedding? Pffft, I'd be more jealous of a funeral. Which in some ways is the same thing.
;)
 Capn_America
Msg: 55
Posted: 6/26/2012 10:12:18 AM

I treat weddings the same way I do funerals. I offer my condolences.

I tell them thaty then take a picture to post on facebook. It`s usually priceless
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >