Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RandomFish123
Msg: 56
Do weddings make you jealous? Page 3 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Who has time to be jealous? .. I am too busy checking out the food to be jealous!
 Fleuron
Msg: 57
Do weddings make you jealous?
Posted: 6/26/2012 10:23:37 AM

Jealous of a wedding? Pffft, I'd be more jealous of a funeral. Which in some ways is the same thing.

That's funny.
 Sniper308
Msg: 58
Posted: 6/26/2012 4:15:21 PM
I know so few people who are still married (to the same person) and have not been married previously to someone else. I know *lots* of people who are divorced. Jealous at weddings? No, not at all. I think I'd probably say what I feel during such occasions runs between hope and sorrow. "Hope," in that I really hope they make it. "Sorrow," in that I'm sure I'm probably looking at the beginning of a future divorce. I always look at things in a long-term sense. So, at a wedding, I'm not just physically witnessing the union of two people in holy matrimony... I'm "seeing" 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 years ahead (if they even make it THAT far), with all the arguing, lying, screaming, treachery, adultery, drinking, and of course, the downward-spiraling finances.

Wedding:
Him: I love you.
Her: I love you.

Sometime down the road, years later, in the middle of the night:
Him: You STUPID ______ ______. What the ______ is WRONG with you?!
Her: I hate your __________ guts!!! I wish you were DEAD!!! I'm taking the kids! I want a DIVORCE!!!
Him (throwing the ______ and smashing it into the wall): You're not taking MY kids, you _______ ______. I'll _______ kill you, you worthless ____!!!
Her: YOU STAY AWAY FROM THE KIDS!!! YOU NEVER WANTED THEM ANYWAY!!! AND IF YOU EVEN LAY A HAND ON ME, I'LL HAVE THE POLICE ______ ARREST YOUR HAIRY ___!!!

And on and on and on. The drama. My God. Fortunately, I had one of the most pleasant divorces in the history of divorces. However, I know of so many other couples whose marriages ended in pain and hatred. So... jealous? At weddings? No, no way. It's more like watching two people who both have family histories of cancer and hoping neither one of them get it.

I believe in love. I believe in marriage. Unfortunately, I also believe in harsh realities.
 honest_e
Msg: 61
Posted: 6/26/2012 11:09:25 PM
i love going to weddings..... i think it's great that people still have that level of hope and commitment. it has no bearing on me or my relationship status at all. i can be genuinely happy for others without feeling jealous or sad... it's not about me.
 beachdancer
Msg: 62
Posted: 6/27/2012 12:38:08 AM
Stray! Good to see you!!

Envious is the word.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 63
Posted: 6/27/2012 1:21:00 PM
I love weddings.
I love going to them.
I never really think about the money being spent
because it's not my business.
There are a lot of people involved in the wedding
business, lots of jobs and employment. One of the
companies I work for is a catering company. They
do a lot of weddings, some inexpensive, others over
the top.

I'd never go to a wedding and think negative thoughts.
I'd only think the best and wish the best for the couple.

Of course the last wedding I went to was in May and it
was my daughter's. It was awesome, the food was awesome,
the dancing was awesome, and my daughter and her husband
are awesome.

I'm sort of awesome myself, but I digress.

I would never rain on anyone else's parade.
And I'm only jealous of Cindy Crawford.
 PhotoGirl870
Msg: 64
Posted: 6/27/2012 10:48:51 PM
*Forever Alone!* sigh.... No, weddings do not make me jealous. They make me think "God, that's way too much money to be spending."
 Phil_an_derer
Msg: 65
Posted: 6/28/2012 3:27:00 AM
My Ex bought her own ring and her own boobs, I bet that made many men jealous...lol
 freespiritxoxx
Msg: 66
Posted: 6/28/2012 12:43:34 PM
I love weddings, always have such a good time, celebrating love between people that I care about.... no never once have I been jealous....
 Jason022679
Msg: 67
Posted: 6/28/2012 5:32:47 PM
Nope, they will be divorced soon enough. Stuck with wedding bills and nasty break up. Their kids will be emotionally damaged for life and both will look at the single person who didn't make the same mistake with envy. Marriage is as risky as it gets.
 WanderingRain
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2012 8:45:14 PM
I'm happy for the couple... and sad when it doesn't work out... and even sadder if kids are involved...
Weddings are like fairy tale endings... they are just the beginning, actually.
And most people fumble the "maintenance" of the relationship all the time.
And just like Patriotism, Christmas and Thanksgiving, Weddings are too commercialized for their own good in our country.

Gimme a small chapel and a few witnesses and lots of honesty and hard work.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 70
Posted: 6/28/2012 8:57:20 PM

Do weddings make you jealous that someone else has found love and you are alone? I just came from a beautiful wedding. I saw two people in love. I was jealous, because I don't have that. Or do that make you hopeful that there's someone out there for you?

I am certainly not jealous of those getting married. Show me a couple who's still in love after 10+++ years of marriage and I may feel a slight pang of envy. I don't feel like I'm missing a thing simply because I choose to be alone. And the whole concept of marriage in and of itself isn't something I would ever be jealous of. I don't need a piece of paper to know where my heart resides, but I respect those who want that. JMO
 Meaganrose22
Msg: 71
Posted: 6/28/2012 9:33:45 PM
I know how you feel, but I think it will happen eventually.
 wanted555
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2012 9:34:20 PM
i love weddings as long as its not my own ! lol !! tho i could have gotten married a few times / but never wanted the commitment ! i agree with verygreeneyes !! tho i do miss the few i left! so what is the good or bad?
 Texan_Gal
Msg: 75
Posted: 6/29/2012 10:28:06 AM
No, weddings definitely don't make me jealous. Two of my siblings got married within the past couple of years, and I felt more nervous/anxious for them than jealous. I'm on board with the people who consider the high divorce rate. I take marriage very seriously and really see it as a life-long commitment (one I'd be ridiculously nervous to make myself), so when I see others getting married, I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping they're really confident in whatever they have.
 InMyOwnTime25
Msg: 76
Posted: 6/29/2012 10:34:53 AM
I can get a bit jealous, but then I think to myself about all the weddings I know of that ended in horrible marriages and then divorce.
 ExitingTheStage
Msg: 77
Posted: 6/29/2012 11:54:16 AM
Late last year I got an email in my work inbox asking for people to crash a wedding for a couple of "second time arounders" -- neither of them had family or friends that lived locally. They were getting married at the Strand (local foreshore) and wanted to share the day with anyone that still believed that love is possible.

He wore a cotton shirt, and she wore a sun frock --

Mid way through the ceremony they threw their old wedding rings into the ocean to make way for the new ones...

I still think this is one of the best weddings I have ever been to.

(Oh, and I took those little bottles of bubbles and handed them out to children and random people because, bubbles are fun)

Nobody was jealous...

3ffervescent,

Sounds like an awesome expression of love for each other...... focussing on them instead of the "event".
Rich or poor (especially poor), the wedding event seems to be too consuming.
Some say that you should make it something special to remember....
Do you remember how much it costs and the difficulties it took to arrange?
Or does the memory support a love for each other that continues to change and grow?

Now being back to looking at "rags" (rags to riches to rags)....
I wonder if I will find that true love?
Because... although I don't need financial support.... I can only spend to pay food and rent....
.... and she would have to love me for me and me only..... Dinner dates I can't afford.

Weddings don't make me jealous of the commitment of love that couples have for each other...
...it just gives me a dread feeling because I grew up poor.
 GurugiGets
Msg: 78
Posted: 6/30/2012 12:06:25 AM
It was nice that Tom Cruise wed Katie Holmes and gave her a fairytale ceremony in Italy but since they're getting divorced I can kinda check myself on what love is and isn't.
 grove_22
Msg: 79
Posted: 6/30/2012 9:16:07 AM
No although I had a feeling that some of the weddings I went to wouldn't work out. It turns out that I was right.
 ForumFun
Msg: 80
Posted: 6/30/2012 2:01:22 PM
Mostly bored, occassionaly drunk and that might lead to hungover and or regretful lol
 Janet_Always
Msg: 81
Posted: 6/30/2012 2:14:45 PM
I love weddings... they are big parties with dancing and lots of people having a good time.

But I am in no way jealous!

I don't long to have a husband again, so there's no reason for me to envy them.

Love, yes -- marriage, I don't think so.
 Luv_Lyfe
Msg: 82
Posted: 6/30/2012 2:49:51 PM
Do weddings make you jealous that someone else has found love and you are alone? I just came from a beautiful wedding. I saw two people in love. I was jealous, because I don't have that.

I suppose I might feel envious, especially when the couple are deeply in love with one another and appear to have a wonderful future ahead of them. But jealous, no, why would one feel jealous unless one were the unsuccessful pursuer of one of the principals in the wedding?
 Thomas_Andronicus
Msg: 83
Posted: 6/30/2012 3:05:46 PM
I am not envious or jealous in any way.
No way.
Not in the least.
No. Uh uh.
Never.
Stop asking me.
Good Bye.
 Icestorm
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2012 9:12:28 AM
I love the way people are saying, nope, not me, I'm not jealous,then talk about jealously being a negative emotion and following up by saying that the reason they are not jealous is because weddings are a waste of money, divorce is imminent and brides uglify after a few years.

The poster was asking whether people are jealous AT weddings, not OF weddings, of the couple's relationship. And I'm wondering if she had really meant "envious" instead of "jealous".
 _diamond_in_the_rough_
Msg: 85
Posted: 7/2/2012 2:51:11 PM
Lol, jealous of what? It's not like they're the only people who get to have a wedding! These people going to weddings can or will likely have a wedding of their own someday. A wedding is very special but many people do put too much emphasis on them and don't seem to realize that the important thing is having a successful marriage.

How often do you hear people say "Well we got divorced as it just didn't work out, but we had a beautiful wedding", lol. If you're marriage doesn't work out, nobody will care how nice or how expensive your wedding was, though they might comment on what a waste of money it was (if it was a really expensive one).

I personally prefer tastefully done simple& elegant weddings with just close family& friends and rather have more money in the bank and for nice vacations.

The biggest, most lavish& expensive weddings I've known ALL ended up in divorce in a VERY short period of time, so it's hard to look at two people getting married and be like "Oh, they're so lucky, in love and will live happily ever after, lol. It's more like, "I wish them the best of luck as their chances are 50/50".

There are likely couples at these weddings who are blissfully happy and will go on to getting married themselves, so why should they be jealous?

Cheers =)
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >