Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > I want a quick "first meet", he wants a leisurely dinner!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Fleuron
Msg: 126
I want a quick first meet, he wants a leisurely dinner! Page 6 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)

I nominate Fleuron to chaperon and I will volunteer myself as well. I owe her (Fleuron) a beer and I think it'd be fun to intrude....I MEAN....meet other POF'ers at the same time while watching an actual first POF "meet".

(Fleuron.......do you have a camera on your cell? I'm having visions of "YouTube" dancing in my head.......)

Oh, we’d make great chaperones, I’m sure, organicquestionmark. :)

No, I never carry anything that could be used against me….like a camera.
I’m sure we can dig up somebody who has one, though. Then maybe we can edit the footage to slow motion and add sappy tear jerky music.

Bring a stun gun just in case he gets to wild on the Maca and Raw Cacao okay?

Are you kidding? That’ll be YouTube GOLD. (no offense, rearguard*2)
 rearguard*2
Msg: 127
view profile
History
I want a quick first meet, he wants a leisurely dinner!
Posted: 7/1/2012 6:08:41 PM

Can you handle mine?

Well, generally speaking, I keep clean and smell nice, so I don't anticipate any great challenge meeting your expectations......

As to mine, however.....well, I am a man.....what can I say........I would not be caught dead in skinny jeans in any kind of descent Mtl food emporium, and at 31 C, I tend to wear shorts to show off my rather spectacular legs.......

Really, the chaperons are more likely to need the stun gun for you. I actually quite irresistible to the ladies, and being the kind of guy that looks for more depth in a relationship than the purely physical, find myself having to frequently fend of unwanted female ardor........

But let us not be pessimistic! Perhaps sparks will fly! An exchange of interpersonal electricity will weld our gazes together and banish all but the intoxicating aromas our mutual desire to the extent that we conspire to ditch the chaperons by artful deceit so that we may steal away to seclusion of a mountain lookout, there to exhilarate in the harmony of mutual togetherness while drinking in the illuminated vista of the city beneath the expanse of a star filled sky!

I can already feel the warmth of your hand as you slip it into mine and rest you head gently on my shoulder.

It will be wonderful....if it doesn't start raining.........
 ChancesRMD
Msg: 128
Posted: 7/1/2012 7:39:00 PM

If I met somebody= I would rather a quick meeting- not a dinner date- as it may be awkward- I may not like the person at all. They may be creepy to me, where I would want to get away from them. That has happened to me, more than once.

Personally- I haven't met anybody, that I have felt comfortable with at all..

I'm not the least bit surprised. If you were anymore uptight you'd turn blue in the face.

The internet is a difficult place to meet anybody that is good for somebody. It does get very discouraging..

Very true. I've never met anyone on the internet. I usually just meet them somewhere in person. It's the only way I know how.

Have good day out there, and I wish you alot of happiness and success on your journey!

I wish you happiness too : ) Good luck with that passport.

Stargazin- Can you pass some of that popcorn down here?
 nativerock
Msg: 129
Posted: 7/2/2012 7:40:18 AM

As to mine, however.....well, I am a man.....what can I say........I would not be caught dead in skinny jeans in any kind of descent Mtl food emporium, and at 31 C, I tend to wear shorts to show off my rather spectacular legs.......

Okay you talked me into a nice white pair of shorts.. We can compare legs and you might be in for a surprise as to how nice and lean mine are.. lol

Really, the chaperons are more likely to need the stun gun for you. I actually quite irresistible to the ladies, and being the kind of guy that looks for more depth in a relationship than the purely physical, find myself having to frequently fend of unwanted female ardor........

Not necessary my dear rear.. lol If you are really that hot handsome fellow I look for , I can only imagine they might need to bring me smelling salts.. I mean who in the heck meets hot men online?

But let us not be pessimistic! Perhaps sparks will fly! An exchange of interpersonal electricity will weld our gazes together and banish all but the intoxicating aromas our mutual desire to the extent that we conspire to ditch the chaperons by artful deceit so that we may steal away to seclusion of a mountain lookout, there to exhilarate in the harmony of mutual togetherness while drinking in the illuminated vista of the city beneath the expanse of a star filled sky!.

Shingers my dear man I might need those smelling salts sooner than when we meet if you keep this banter up..

I can already feel the warmth of your hand as you slip it into mine and rest you head gently on my shoulder.
It will be wonderful....if it doesn't start raining.........

Doubt we will even know it is raining, even if there is thunder and lightening.. See you soon

nativerock who will be there in her short shorts..
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 130
Posted: 7/2/2012 3:32:54 PM

binkie45
i can't be bothered getting dressed up for a cheap cuppa coffee,
i just can't - it not worth the effort.
its really just not worth it ....
if i like the guy ... then its dinner.

Well I want to meet the regular you, not the spit and polish you. If you like the guy and want dinner, then you can ask him out to dinner. But no, that would have you buying the dinner.
 rearguard*2
Msg: 131
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2012 4:36:22 PM

I can only imagine they might need to bring me smelling salts..

Alas fair muse, I had dared to hope that the bliss of your gentle ministrations might sooth the travails of my life, yet as you offer, cruel fate may snatch away such happiness. Were you to swoon at the sight of me, should you crack your skull on a concrete flower pot how could I find an escape from the abyss of guilt in which I should find myself immersed having caused your injury other than to cast myself from the Jacques Cartier bridge into the cold torrent below?

Dear lady, to hold you safe from all danger is my sole desire. leave us keep the possible ravages of unleashed passions safely constrained within the confines of imagination and put each others' handles on our respective block lists. Else-wise, to plomb the depths of despair may be our fate.......
 grove_22
Msg: 132
Posted: 7/2/2012 8:39:52 PM
I don't mind having dinner on a first date / meeting. However I would go to an inexpensive restautant where a person could finish in about 45 minutes to a hour. Not a fancy upscale restaurant. Also I would rather go to a bar instead of a coffee shop. At a bar, we might be able to watch a sporting event, play a quick game of pool or do some other activity while having some drinks.
 bay_shore
Msg: 133
Posted: 7/3/2012 6:00:31 AM
I would like to do something fun on a first date / meeting. Such as attending a festival, playing a game of pool or mini golf etc. I could enjoy the activity and make the most of it even if there wasn't enough interest for a second date. The coffee date can be boring and sound like a job interview.

Other people may not want to drive 1-2 hours round trip just for having a cup of coffee for 20-30 minutes. The only times I might end a date after 20-30 minutes or less is when I feel unsafe or when a man is a complete jerk. Regardless of the activity.
 nativerock
Msg: 134
Posted: 7/3/2012 7:30:46 AM

^^^Well, CRAP! Typical POF romance! Hmph.......

Take heart every man has to have some kind of fantas, don't they? Even those that agree to dine out on their first meet.. Let them eat cake.. lol
 rearguard*2
Msg: 135
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2012 8:46:01 AM
On the other hand....she could just offer to wear a helmet, with a view to avoiding any unfortunate consequences........

Short shorts, helmet.....hot....Hot......HOT!!!!!
 nativerock
Msg: 136
Posted: 7/3/2012 10:24:24 AM

On the other hand....she could just offer to wear a helmet, with a view to avoiding any unfortunate consequences........

Short shorts, helmet.....hot....Hot......HOT!!!!!

You forgot the roller blades to complete my dinner outfit.. lol
 rearguard*2
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2012 10:36:50 AM
Throw in knee and elbow pads, writs braces and it will be me that swoons.....
 realmofthought
Msg: 138
Posted: 7/4/2012 6:12:37 PM
The meet and greet is far easier than the dinner scene..for both . Less pressure and/or expectations combined with busy lives...'nuff said. If things go well,both will know and act accordingly..
 _shakti_
Msg: 139
Posted: 7/4/2012 6:28:36 PM

I have been used in this way before. Put on display. Excuse me, but I have feelings, too.

I am not just a piece of bacon.
I find this sentiment odd, since obviously it goes both ways. I mean, are you not trying to ascertain an attraction too? Isn't that the point of a date, whether it be over coffee or dinner??

I can't say as I've felt used because a man wanted to determine whether he was attracted to me. I don't think I would even if he wanted to rush out the door shortly after gulping his coffee down.. what would I have been used for?

Anyway, to each their own. The sentiment just seems odd to me.
 Portlanderr
Msg: 140
Posted: 7/9/2012 1:34:41 PM
Hi Gourmet Chef,

I did have a first meet/date last Tuesday for lunch, we went to a small restaurant for an hour and had a great time. We plan to get together again when I return from vacation.

I still prefer the shorter meet -- coffee, a drink, walk -- but for those men who prefer dinner, I am compromising and having lunch.
 Greatcatch12345
Msg: 141
Posted: 7/18/2012 4:27:51 AM
I think u are going into these meetups with too low expectations or you simply dont want to be roped into a long, romantic dinner for fear he may kiss you at the end? lol...lunch is ok..but you sound very cautious..(let me just dip my toe into the lunch menu). Men can sense this trepidation and the wall you have built around your feelings. Just let it go OP and go with the flow.There is nothing to fear but fear itself.
 MutedEnthusiasm
Msg: 142
Posted: 7/18/2012 6:14:02 AM

^^I think u are going into these meetups with too low expectations or you simply dont want to be roped into a long, romantic dinner for fear he may kiss you at the end?

Have you ever had conversation with someone who dismisses everything you say? and makes assumptions about you instead? and then proceeds to give you unsolicited advice based on those assumptions?

It’s not romantic. Just long.
 paulinuk
Msg: 143
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2012 7:41:19 AM
long dinner and no like each other,big problem
 cityfangels77
Msg: 144
Posted: 7/18/2012 11:13:48 AM
the only reason . i dont consider drinks . because some guys have in mind to get the women drunk and clouds the judgement . if you can handle only two drinks great at the most . but most of the time if a guy wants sex he will offer drinks . i love the line i just want to have a drink to relax.
 mjinict
Msg: 145
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2012 5:01:31 PM
I can retain control of my faculties after a couple of drinks. Must be practice...

Though may be a good reason to have dinner afterwards.
 mjinict
Msg: 146
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2012 10:46:16 AM
...And I would willingly offer, but it always got rebuked....not going to argue over it...

Glad you had a good time, most folks are interesting enough to endure a dinner with.
 afixerupper
Msg: 147
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2012 10:54:22 AM
Shortest concept for a meet I saw in a guy's profile, offering to stand in front of an agreed establishment. Ladies could do a drive by, and if they didn't like what they saw, keep on driving... talk about cutting it to the bone! LOL
The ten second evaluation... at ten miles per hour... I'm not sure I could really get to know someone in that amount of time, LMAO... not enough to decide if he was okay or not.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 148
Posted: 7/22/2012 11:01:36 AM

Shortest concept for a meet I saw in a guy's profile, offering to stand in front of an agreed establishment. Ladies could do a drive by, and if they didn't like what they saw, keep on driving... talk about cutting it to the bone! LOL

Now that's not only funny, but a creative way to get the proverbial "physical appearance check" over with. He may be on to something there.

~OT~ I don't meet/greet. If I haven't conversed long enough with someone to like their personality well enough to make it through a real date such as lunch or dinner, I don't know them well enough to meet them in public. Everyone has their own way of doing things, if a meet/greet is all the time I'm worth to someone, he needs to move along to someone who only has that much time to offer him in return. I do mutual/interviewing for my professional clients in meet/greet fashion and I have NO interest in doing that for my personal life. JMO
 justlookingvt
Msg: 149
Posted: 7/22/2012 3:42:54 PM

Ladies could do a drive by, and if they didn't like what they saw, keep on driving... talk about cutting it to the bone! LOL

A drive-thru date!... McDate! ... 99 billion sausages served. 100% pure beef. LOL

perfect concept for our one-liner, instant coffee, fast food, 1 to 3-date sex society.

I bet someone is going to give it a try.... :-)
 raicor
Msg: 150
Posted: 8/23/2012 7:44:30 PM
i am, absolutely, in alignment with your thoughts on first meeting. i would guess, however, that some of the men who insist may be interested in impressing the female by paying for everything. well, at least it could be asserted this is a part of the reasoning. not sure of anyone else, but easier to have a meeting that does not initially entail a certain period of time. and really, male of female, if the meeting seems of no relevance to further interaction then just a coffee or walk would seem more neutral,

"but, i paid for dinner. i thought you did that because you wanted to." - blech

if someone is insisting on dinner first meeting, they would appear stuck in some other era, looking for a free dinner or possibly wanting a "captive" audience. for me, if i see a females first date as "a nice meal or dinner out somewhere.", pass. :)
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > I want a quick "first meet", he wants a leisurely dinner!