Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Phil_an_derer
Msg: 53
One Line Replies (from Men)Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
^^^^^^^Some men have to.....
I know women don't read profiles cause my inbox is full......gives me something to "read" while I'm reading my morning paper and sipping on my large double double....

its funny getting those one liners;
Hi how are you
I'm fine,then silence....its like at that very moment they were swooped up by aliens...
 Capn_America
Msg: 54
One Line Replies (from Men)
Posted: 7/13/2012 1:29:55 PM

Hi, I am very new to this site, and although I have felt very flattered and surprised by the amount of replies I have had from my initial profile, why oh why are so many just one line or even two words?

Yer pretti, Chessie

That's Right.

ultra10match
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2012 10:40:14 AM
I get a lot of one liners from women too so its not just form men.

They are usually GTFO, GFY, EWWW, Beat it, etc.

But they are "one liners".
 rdeffley
Msg: 57
Posted: 7/19/2012 11:00:50 AM
It is just men. I got an email from a woman that said "Hi" and that was it. I deleted it right away without even checking her profile.
 nubeginnings64
Msg: 59
Posted: 7/19/2012 4:20:13 PM
Not really a gender specific occurrence if I get the same. I assume they're preoccupied chatting with others if I have to pry a conversation out of them. I send a message "Feel free to email if you'd like to pick up on our conversation again since you seem so busy now". I end with "Look forward to hearing from you". Cuts off the one line communication now but doesn't close the door completely. Most of the replies I get are simply "OK" too...lol...
 pfif
Msg: 61
Posted: 7/19/2012 5:18:18 PM
I generally only write to women who gave an essay with a
conversational tone. If I'm inspired, I'll write at length, up
to about 5-7 lines that are as long as mine are in this post.

The process is about the same as in the forum; I see something
I have a response to -- so I respond.

I'll be the first to admit, it's often not enough -- too short; a
single thought. Sometimes, a question.

I do treat them as though they'd invited a response. I don't
think that's necessarily the case. I think, to them, it's a big
mystery, and that they're not really here to respond. Instead,
they're here to suddenly change venue or context.

That is to say, they don't care what I wrote, since it is not in
their agenda to begin with (which I cannot know, since they
did not state it -- or -- and maybe more likely -- I bypassed
their stated agenda, or tried to, and responded to peripheral
matters in their profile
).
 CheekyCapricorn
Msg: 63
Posted: 7/19/2012 11:22:15 PM
I received a message today asking me what i did for work, so gave a brief description asked the same q back. i got "I work in the city" told him that doesn't tell me much he replied "I'm with a big sales company", guess he didn't like my reply much since i haven't heard from him since, but hey don't ask question's of me you're not willing to answer yourself. but since they messages me first, i thought why bother in the first place!
 foxonatrain
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2012 1:58:50 AM
As others have said, it's not just men. I recently had a woman send me a message with "Hi, my name is ____." I replied with something along the lines of, "Well apparently you're not the chattiest person in the world. How are you?" Then she got offended. Good times.
 TC2u
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2012 5:53:16 AM
You don't start a conversation with a stranger IRL with a whole paragragh do you? Sounds like a sales pitch. I send related to the profile. Some are hard to gleen anything from it, you can use in a 1st message. And as had been mentioned above, when the percentage is high you'll never get a response, why would it be worthy of wasting time on jibberish?
 pfif
Msg: 66
Posted: 7/20/2012 6:52:42 AM
It's like two kids, blinking their flashlights on and off, from house to
house when they're supposed to be sleeping.

Most messaging is more like a telegram sent by morse code. It is
airless, disjoint.

INHERITANCE ARRIVED X INBOUND NEXT TRAIN X WILL SHARE ALL X
MISS YOU X THEODORE ESQ

Only sheer force of goodwill can save such a conversation.
 POF_BS
Msg: 67
Posted: 7/20/2012 7:07:39 AM
When I had a serious profile and was actually looking, I would send a "hi" to men I was interested in.

It's just plenty. If they were interested, they would write back and we could go from there.

If I received a "hi" or short message from someone who I was truely intersted in, it is also enough.

Sort of like having someone calling you alot. If you like the person, it is awesome. If you don't like them, well then that person is a crazy stalker in your mind.
 pfif
Msg: 69
Posted: 7/20/2012 4:55:55 PM
I do not like getting a 'hi' message because it just puts the
emphasis of having to spend time writing something decent
onto me, which just puts me back into the position of writing
a message that may well be deleted and ignored (which
has happened).

skylar, just triage. That's what the busier women here seem to be
doing, who are still somewhat traditional about making any reply.

Glance at all messages, and decide when you will reply. If you're
that busy, it can be a week before you respond at all -- because the
very next response is probably the last response, you may not want
to waste it, with nothing thought out.

. . .

This is about pride in who you are, not about how it is received.
When someone special comes along, that habit is going to pay off.

. . .

Anyway, that is what I think is, or ought to be, going on. I don't
get that kind of traffic, but I have seen significant delays from the
women I've sent first-contact to, who did eventually respond in a
way I think did them proud.

Not really telling you what to do. I just like to write declaratively.
It's probably a bad habit.
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 70
Posted: 7/20/2012 9:47:46 PM

i just figure they are boring people with no conversational skills and move on to the next one.

I figure they are boring, vacuous, shallow people with poor conversational skills and move on.
 mr7recon
Msg: 71
Posted: 7/21/2012 7:13:59 AM
Women remember men are different. We don't ramble on and on. We get to the point and don't just talk about everything especially when trying to find out if you're interested. Once you reply then we'll go into more detail and answer your question. Like some said here, there's no point to a large initial email if the woman is not going to reply or say not interested. That's what the profile is for. It tells some about the person, likes dislikes, hobbies etc.
 Maleman999
Msg: 72
Posted: 7/21/2012 8:11:37 AM

Msg. 71: I figure they are boring, vacuous, shallow people with poor conversational skills and move on.

If someone sends you a 1 or 2 paragraph message, do you always send a reply back, whether you're interested or not? People who do not respond to someone who put some effort in their opening pitch are vacuous, shallow people.
 djames06
Msg: 74
Posted: 7/21/2012 2:53:20 PM
there is no reason for a person to send out a message that contains more then 3 or 4 lines.
and to all the people that think the sending out long messages some how makes you a great conversationalist it dosent.
 tommy0879
Msg: 75
Posted: 7/21/2012 10:06:13 PM
I agree completely. I always comment on something from their profile, maybe something we have in common. I would hope this shows my genuine interest in the person rather than just his looks. When I receive a "vague" message like "hi, nice profile", my first impression is that there was no effort. If one can't expell the energy to write something that will catch my attention then maybe that's a prelude to their conversational skills. First impressions count !
 PDS_3-0
Msg: 78
Posted: 9/14/2012 2:20:46 PM
When you're contacting someone for the first time, there's a delicate balance between being too brief and telling someone the story of your life without being prompted. There's nothing wrong with a one-liner that shows the person has read your profile and is creative or politely funny. At first you want to establish if there is mutual interest based on your pictures and whether there might be chemistry in person (feel free to call me shallow, but these are the facts of life).
 privat33r
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2012 2:29:17 PM
Some women get 400 notes from guys in less than a day. They cruise through the detritus of our dreams quickly.

So,. short notes seem to work better for many. I responded to, "You'd be perfect if you weren't completely inappropriate". A local hottie answered, "You're always up so late.."

The longer notes with all types of secondary business can fail to grab attention. Usually simply having a photo and something pleasant and appropriate to say is better. Much better.
 NCnavetG8r
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2012 2:35:45 PM
The first message is usually just a bait dangle. Often won't be long, but hopefully at least says something to catch your attention in a good way. It's designed to get you to check out our profile to find out if you are interested enough to respond back. Now, if you do respond with something more than "hey", this is the man's chance to really come back with something interesting enough to get you to actually take a bite so he can try to set the hook. If he just leaves it dangling there and doesn't put any effort into the presentation, I suggest you move on to a better looking piece of bait. Because believe me, there's plenty of us guys out there who are willing to put in a LOT more effort to get the chance to meet you! And remember, a pretty face and nice muscles does not always equate to intelligence.
 KratosSpawn
Msg: 81
Posted: 9/14/2012 2:43:53 PM
Honestly, its best to keep it short and to the point b/c we aren't tryin to stay online. We are trying to get me up off of this webpage and go on to meeting in person. Hence, writing an essay is unbecoming of a guy trying to do something and not scared off doing that.
 TheAlaskanRose
Msg: 82
Posted: 9/14/2012 3:40:55 PM

What do you want a damm shakespearian sonnet?
Personally I am done wasting any amount of time writing something that has a high probability of being unreplied to.

Wow, now that comes as a surprise. (Incidentally, nice way to exploit the OP's mere question with your own rant. Is SHE one of the women that did not respond to you? I think not, so why punish her with your vitriol?)

CJ, I have also written first messages to gents of which have not been answered. Silence makes a very loud reply, but at least I get my "answer" quickly and painlessly; moreover, I do not have to live with the regret of not having "dropped a line" to try to "hook" a response so to speak.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OP, I ran into this situation as well and did what another poster suggested (using the message filter where a minimum amount of characters must be used in order to be accepted). Not sure if it is really the filter or if chaps are not writing short messages to me, but I do not have that problem anymore.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 83
Posted: 9/15/2012 6:54:22 PM
chessiecatt- You are getting replies like that from people who have been here for at least a little while. It gets old after a while to put effort into a long reply and then never hear back. What I have learned (and what you will learn if you stay here) is to accept the short reply's a couple of times, if they are responding at all they are interested. Once you do a couple of short reply's, TELL them that you want to know more about them. You will either get no response, which tells you what you want to know. OR, you will get a longer response, which still tells you what you want to know. Don't sweat it, stick around and you'll figure it out.
 00_Heaven
Msg: 84
Posted: 9/15/2012 7:15:46 PM
Oh I know what you mean by the one word replies. They make the effort initially which is great, but do they expect you to carry the conversation after that, its a two way street. But I bet if sex was brought up right away they would have more than enough to say...just sayin!!!!!!!
 shy2anne
Msg: 86
Posted: 9/16/2012 9:16:14 PM
what i've learned:
there is no "online conversations to try and get to know men" before dating. it doesn't work like that any more.
now there are a few brief emails, like you said, then you are to talk on the phone and meet soon as possible.
you meet for a brief time too - enough to somehow see if you're interested.
if you both are interested, then you date.
i'm guessing that is when you "get to know" that person ?
i might be wrong - but that seems to be the new way to date.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >