Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Chuzz16
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Ladies look but don't reply...Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
You say they look at your profile, after you have messaged them, and then they don't reply. So maybe, the ladies you message don't like what they read.

I read it, and I think it sounds fine. Everyone is different, just because some don't reply, doesn't mean someone else won't.

Maybe they think you are too far away, or they don't like smoking. It could be any number of things.
Don't give up.
 Graffiti_Poet
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Ladies look but don't reply...
Posted: 6/30/2012 2:34:38 AM
The "Wall of Angels", or who's viewed me pages as they are more often refered too, are a productive place to fish. There had to have been 'something' about your photo or profile that appealed to them in the first place to make them look. (That assumes they are not just serial browsers of course). That many of the girls who look do not then go on to message you is only to be expected. Girls are far less likely to write first especially given that many already have any number of men, both suitable and unsuitable ones, sending them contact messages regularly.

If you can write a half decent first contact message you should go ahead and drop them a line, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Some of the most intesting and enjoyable people I have met on here has been as a result of me sending a message after they appeared on my Angel wall. Good luck OP............GP
 Graffiti_Poet
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2012 3:52:13 AM

As for "Angel wall".. dear god.. pass me a bucket

Concurred..... Jesus wept that's borderline creepsville

And yet my having that mindset gets superb results so the advice I offered to the OP remains good advice regardless of the attempts to Troll me. Go figure, ha ha ha
 Graffiti_Poet
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2012 4:10:58 AM
ha ha ha, crappy guess mate which you could have figured out all by yourself if you had understood what I meant by 'mindset'. I'm here because I love it here, I'm a writer and this place inspires me like no other. The fact that being here brings amazing people, and a few Trolls, into my life is just a bonus, but thanks for your interest in me and my motivations as wrong as they were.......GP

vvv Then we measure success in different ways do we not?, I get just what I need and in the right amounts to consider myself to be successful without having found the right girl for me yet, just sayin'.....

vvvv Of course I do, you are all stars in my eyes.........(and Angels, ha ha ha). And PS, I never said everyone loves poetry, I mearly stated the truth that it can, probably more than anything else, get replies from girls or cause them to message you first.......

I suspect a bloke having a decent body and looking fantastic gets more messages.. just saying.

Is that not the category I also fall into as well as being a good poet and writer? lol
 Jo van
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/30/2012 5:05:45 AM
It's a heart-rending, but all too common complaint OP.
You will realise this, after you have spent a little more time here.

People decide they would like another/a partner, so they open an account, they write something 'interesting', or perhaps 'revealing', about themselves, how "unique" we all are, and then in a final act of desperation, stick up a few pictures, which show you in your best, and hopefully most attractive pose.

They pout, they smoulder, they skydive and bungee-jump, they stand in front of pyramids, or on top of mountains. They hold fish, they straddle motorbikes, or lounge on sports cars, they dress-up in 'whacky' costumes, they surround themselves with their many friends and well-wishers, pets, children, family, and adoring public.
They "put themselves out there".

Most of all, they unashamedly and publicly declare; "look at me, I'm a great catch, I'm worthy of "love" too, and in return, I too, will give you, "somebody", anybody" my own unconditional love*."
(*Provided you meet my own very strict and exclusive list of requirements, measurements, statistics, credit-checks, screen-tests, blood-tests, genealogy, geography, fashion-sense, financial-viability, fitness, and fvckability. [subject to status. Not a guarantee. Terms and conditions may vary])

Surely such bravery deserves some sort of recognition..?
Surely the mere viewing of of a profile constructed by such a person, followed by an acknowledgment of receipt of said viewing, by the viewee, saying "I know. I saw you look. You want me bad, right..?" should 'seal the deal'. ?
Sadly, no.

Just as in "real life", people will often glance at you, simply to avoid bumping into you.
It doesn't mean they "want you".
And if someone doesn't answer a message, just 'move-on'.
or give up.

Chuzz16
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2012 6:04:21 AM
Me too FuryanBabe. :)
He answered the op perfectly.
 Chuzz16
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2012 7:37:12 AM
My goodness, and there was me thinking it was just women who were bitter and twisted.haha
 Graffiti_Poet
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2012 10:50:23 AM
Pussycat Pussycat
where have you been?,
it might not be spelt right
but you know what I mean.
The girls love a poet
and to smile even more,
so there's nothing works better
bringing girls to your door.
When loves in the offing
and Cupids on song,
it's down to what's written
not if it's spelled wrong.........

I thought the first rule of writing was to write what you know Cleverkitten....GP

Excellent writing Jo-Van (Thumbs up icon thingy)

vvv Wow, I take my hat of to you, I knew you had one in you somewhere, lol..... (Bowing icon thingy)
 aqua56
Msg: 24
Posted: 6/30/2012 11:51:16 AM
Brilliant reply FuryanBabe...........but no one has mentioned about the guys who dont reply..i have looked at profiles, left a short message, still waiting on replies.....so its not ALWAYS the ladies at fault.
 Graffiti_Poet
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2012 4:48:42 AM
I Think my main problem is, if I don't meet said requirements I still think I'm at the very least worthy of a conversation/ reply/ brush off, whatever the weather... anyways that's my hang up and my problem, so I will 'just 'move-on'

IMO your main problem is not meeting any of these ephemeral requirements but is in reality the same problem that almost all the guys on here have and that is they just don't listen, neither to the excellent advice I give them nor to the thousands of women who post comments in here time after time or in their profiles.

This is now the fourth 'woe is me, I cannot get a reply' thread in which I have offered my poetical advice. One of the threads got zapped but even in the three that remain the small number of posts I have made and the responses they have received have proven 100% that what I have advised works. By following my simple 5 step 'Guide to getting a girlfriend' anyone can move themselves across the dating line, and stay there, permanently.

Getting a girl to reply to your initial approach is only step 1 and is by far the simplest and easiest hurdle to overcome. However, unless you can get past step one by doing something different then you are probably going to be forever condemed to suffer the frustrations of feeling you are being overlooked or passed by. A better man than I once said "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got". In this case that being a poor success rate at getting replies and subsequently a date.

All three of the threads I have contributed to and the responses to my posts have shown my advice to use poetry to be the best advice you could take and none more so than this one.....

Poet oh Poet shhh please do
Saying all PoF women fall for you
Just because you think you can write
To me it sounds like utter banal shyte...

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Its hardly rocket science.. and there are two f's in off...

Even with my writing abilities I doubt I could have written a more conclusive and comprehensive proof as to the verasity of my claims to the power of poetry for getting over that all important first hurdle. Give it a try and taste success for yourself and then maybe you will be ready to move onto the crucial step 2, building anticipation, that will transorm your dating experience forever.

p.s. I do think 'Wall of Angels' is going a little far... lol

But that's just it, it's not. It's about being in the right frame of mind when you write, not just first contact messages but writing anything. Hope that helps.........GP
 Graffiti_Poet
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2012 5:25:18 AM
You are forgiven justforaminuteor2.

It isn't "my" approach, it is a "different" approach, it works with anyone and everyone and is guaranteed to get results. Almost every girl who logs on here does so with romance formost in her mind. Poetry is the language of love and the combination of the two is what makes the use of a funny poem the most sinple and perfect thing you can do to get a reply. I have lost count of the times I have seen 'Make me laugh', "read my profile before messaging" etc etc on girls profiles. A funny poem does all those things in abundance and works like magic.

There is a simple, effective and proven means of getting success and that is to do what I have suggested then sit back and enjoy the results that will surely come and maybe we can all move on from the deluge of "why can't I get relies" threads to "why can't I get a date" threads rather than going over and over the same thing time and time again.......GP

^^^ Ok I will take up that challenge, but tell me, what's in it for me?..........

vvvv, You're on, I bet you £10 that you have to put into the next charity box you see that if you do what I suggest then your success rate at getting relies improves by at least 50%. What is your current success rate at getting replies?......

Anyone else care to take up the bet?
 Graffiti_Poet
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2012 5:50:51 AM
Please do not message anyone yet, particulalry not any girls from the forum.

Let's just see how many of the guys fancy donating £10 to charity and then I will take you all through Step 1 of my five step process and we will see how we get on. OK?........GP

^^^ You are being a tadge unfair if I may say so. The idea is to IMPROVE your response rate not take you straight into the premier division at your first go. 50% success is do-able but like everything else it is a skill you will have to learn and to master. Even so, I wouldn't be that surprised if someone did get over the 50% bar first go...........

So, who's in and who's out?

vvvv This is a suck it and see type thingy. No one is expecting you to marry any of the girls, just get a reply. Getting a reply is a million miles away from getting an actual date. And we will not be doing 10, just 5 to start with... You in or out?.....GP

PS. It's till going to cost you a tenner if I'm proven right !!!!!!!!!
 bootielicious
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2012 1:35:18 PM
I need to hold my hands up here. For years (yes I have been on here far too long) I have always replied to every message that was sent to me and every time I got my fingers burned for leading people on. I had never intended to do so, but I was reliably told recently that by answering and getting into conversation I was implying that I liked them and would like to meet. This was never my intention, I was just being friendly.

So... due to not wanting to offend or send the wrong messages I now don't reply if I don't think I would want to meet and it is a shame, as some men I'm sure I would like as friends, but I guess what they are looking for are lovers and that's not something I want unless it feels right.

Having said that, I have got chatting to some and there has been banter annd a little flirtation and as soon as I utter the words, 'shall we meet' they vanish. I guess I'm not the only one who returns messages to be polite lol.
 bootielicious
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2012 2:23:18 PM
Oops, I think you answered the wrong thread Bob. The 'Out of your league' thread was next door!
 bootielicious
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2012 3:17:35 PM
It's a clear case of repitition then. Tsk!

I'm not sure I pander to all this league melarky. If I like what is written in the profile and they are attractive to me, then why not? Besides there are a lot of very good looking men out there that have no idea how good looking they are. You can't beat a shy guy *winks*.
 Graffiti_Poet
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2012 6:47:55 AM
Teddiesue,

They are not giving me a hard time at all, far from it in fact. All they are doing is simply proving that what I say is true. What is happening is exactly what I said would happen in my one of my very first posts on this subject and that is that men, and to a lesser degree women, ask for help and advice and then stubbornly refuse to LISTEN to any advice that is given. Not just my advice but almost any advice they get offered. I personally don't care much whether their success rate at getting responses from people they write to improves, stays the same or even gets worse if that is possible.

My advice, for what it is worth, has little or nothing to do with my love of poetry or my ability to write good poems that people enjoy reading but has everything to do with my skills as a writer. Whenever I start to write anything, and I am not alone in this, I have to give some thought to who the reader might be and how I would like them to react to what it is that I write, (Assuming of course that I am not just writing for my own benefit and enjoyment as I do quite often.)

My advice could have been to stand on their chair with their underpants on their heads and two pencils up their nostrils had I believed that that would get results but it wasn't because it wouldn't. My advice to use a short poem came from my knowledge and certainty that a poem was more likely to get a positive response than any other first message other than "Hi, how's you" which has been the most successful opening line in the romance game since we men stopped banging girls over the head with a club when we got horny.

Here are just a few of the reasons that a poem works....

a) Everyone who logs onto this site is, for a few moments at least, creating chemicals in their brains that make them receptive to romance. A poem that used words and phrases like 'love', kiss' 'pretty little Miss' ect. makes the brain create more of those chemicals. This is true for both men and women, it is involuntary and cannot be muted by anything. Such a poem increases their romantic inclinations no matter how much anyone would try to deny that it does.

b) Most, if not all, the people on here want a new relationship that involves fun and laughter. In fact it is essential that they see a future partner to be happy, fun to be with, witty, interesting etc. etc. A short funny poem meets that requirement in full and will also make you appear more attractive in your photographs.

c) Poetry is infectious. Even many of the people in here that have berated my suggestion have gone on to write something that would be recognised as a poem or quoted a poem they are familar with. If not in the three remaining "Oh pity me and my lack of success" threads then in the Shakespear thread or in threads such as "The poet in you" thread we had many moons ago, The desire to respond to your poem will be strong.

d) As FuryanBabe said back in post 31,

It's hardly rocket science

Anyone can do it, you don't have to be a good poet, even a technically poor poem will work so long as it follows a few simple rules.

I could go on but you should be getting my drift by now. AS A WRITER, my advice when WRITING a first contact message is to WRITE something that makes the reader react in the way you want them to and here on a website dedicated to romance and love the best thing, the unusal thing, the different and intersting thing to do is to write a short funny poem. IMO nothing that anyone says in here will change that fact.

For many people they appear to have convinced themselves that they ony have to get someone to respond to their messages and all their troubles will be over. The reality is far different. Getting a reply is only the first hurdle they have to overcome and is in fact the easiest. Sustaining a conversation and getting that person to choose you to meet over all the other prospective suitors requires far more effort and skill. It requires an understanding of how to generate and sustain anticipation with the written word and is a hurdle twice as hard as getting a first response. Anyone who has any doubts about this should only look to the number of first date disasters and number of rejected admirers who never make it past the first coffee get together who create threads on here. They run the 'woe is me, please please answer my mails' threads a very close second in their number.

As for why am I still in here. There are two primary reasons. First and foremost, even after four years and countless conversations with many amazing people I have yet to find the perfect girl for me. It is like panning for gold, finding a needle in a haystack or mining for diamonds, you have to move a lot of earth to find a diamond or straw to find a needle and so it is with my search for my final romance in this life. The second primary reason is that I love it in here. Even during a recent 18 month courtship with an amazing girl from in here I still came in to read the poetry threads and the UK threads almost every day. I enjoy them immensely, in fact like most others in here I am addicted to them, and they provide me with by far and away the most inspiration and characters for my poems, short stories and novels than anything else has ever even come close to doing.

My advice remains the same, write a poem, don't write a poem, carry on whinging, just write and say "Hi hun" and hope for the best, do whatever feels right for you. My advice is, as always, a take it or leave it option and peoples success or otherwise does not affect me in the least but AS A WRITER, my professional recommendation, and their best chances of changing their fortune, is to LISTEN to what I have said and give it a go. They have nothing to lose and everything to gain, all in my humble opinion of course........GP

PS. Hope you enjoyed my Little Blue Pill poem (Hugging icon thingy)
 Graffiti_Poet
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2012 7:17:27 AM
^^^^ You're a pretty slow reader but the lesson you may have learnt may stay with you forever, who knows?.........GP
 Graffiti_Poet
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2012 3:16:58 AM
Graffiti, just out of idle interest , what's the average weight of these women, so captivated by the rhythmic word?

I have been asked some strange questions about my poetry in my time TheHappyChappie but that one is up there with the strangest of them.

fun_time_jo, apparently some people do enjoy my rhymes or at least they say they do but they might just be humouring me, who knows. Thank you for your critique of my work, all feedback is appreciated both positive and otherwise and will hopefully lead to me becoming a better writer. (NB. FYI, a Limerick has a fixed structure and rhyming pattern, 5 lines with an a,a,b,b,a rhyme scheme. A bit like the one TheHappyChappie did below your post but thanks all the same....GP)

teddiesue, I'm not so sure you have to be naive or vunerable to enjoy verse or like to smile at an amusing thing you read but my very verbose reply was more about the chemicals the brain produces and how to make or increase that happening in someone than it was about poetry itself. Still, thanks for you thoughts on my advice whether you think it helped others or not. Cheers........GP
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >