Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Relocating and starting over      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ChancesRMD
Msg: 26
Relocating and starting overPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

I was engaged briefly to a man who claimed to be open to relocating to a warmer climate but when I said, "I have enough saved to move us and can support us until we find jobs." he came up with all kinds of excuses

I've even seen people put it in their profile. I plan on leaving so if you're not going anywhere why start what we can't finish? I should do that.

"I have enough saved to move us and can support us until we find jobs.

I'd recommend at least attempting to have a job in place before you move. Some of the more attractive places to live have an influx of talent already living there. I met a plastic surgeon who now works at a marina at marco island for peanuts. He just wanted to get away from the hustle bustle. Some other cities have a noticable number of retirees working jobs usually taken by younger people in our areas. There is even a large number of normally paid positions taken by volunteers. People who just want to keep themselves active. : )

I am curious though, which cities made your final 4 and what attracted you to them?

It probably wasn't accurate for me to say final 4 in the sense that I have narrowed my entire search down to 4. It was the final 4 from the places I visited on this trip.

But since you asked those places were Charleston, SC, Savannah GA, Sarasota, FL and several spots along the FL panhandle.

Why? All kinds of factors from proximity back home, access to major airports, weather, beaches, hurricane risks, social ammenities, cost of living, housing costs, taxes, jobs, crime. You know. All the usual things.
 honest_e
Msg: 27
Relocating and starting over
Posted: 7/2/2012 12:43:04 PM
i just relocated 3,000 miles and so far it has been great!! i have a grown son here so i do have a connection but it feels so good starting fresh in a totally different area and climate and job market!! life is looking up for me good luck with your deciesion
 Giggles10000
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/2/2012 1:27:28 PM
My youngest daughter hates it here in Tennessee, and I have never felt it was home--so when we graduate next spring she wants to move--I'm pushing her to get her masters and I think I want to work on getting mine [she has picked Chicago and Boston (gosh I hate the cold)]; so I have been thinking I might want to change my goals as far as dating.

I had the third date with a guy last week, right before she called and told me if I really like him it will be OK if we ended up in a relationship cause she could move alone but doesn't really want too--I just thought it was the sweetest thing she has ever done, she just wants me to be happy and I think after everything she has done in her life I am willing to sacrifice and put off a *relationship to help her get her start in life..she turns 22 in August and has a good head on her shoulders but still has some anxiety from when her father got Hep C and put on a liver transplant and I got cancer--so a few more years wont hurt anything.

I can say you should use on of the online guides that does a city comparison before moving--when the company I worked for promoted me to management and moved me to SC in 1997, I had no idea my car insurance would jump to from 250 for 6 months to 450 a month for the same coverage, housing was considerably more also, so while they were paying me more --I ended up with less.
 lotustemple
Msg: 29
Posted: 7/2/2012 1:29:25 PM

It's interesting how Americans, in general, see relocating in terms of American options. Ask a Brit this and he might say Australia or Spain,, a Canadian Costa Rica or the UK, etc. There's 5 of us siblings and we live in 5 different countries. ...only one still in France (but he's lived and worked in other countries).

Ah hem.....pof sampling isn't exactly indicitive of your average American. I'm practically a Thai citizen at this point.
 notdating-forumsonly
Msg: 30
Posted: 7/2/2012 1:50:44 PM
Feel free to write me about Texas. I'm a Native Texan and have 46 years of experience in living in different areas around the State. I also know a lot about the other Southern states that you mentioned.

I relocated last year to an area about 30 miles North of Dallas. I had been living outside of a small town for the previous 10 years- hoping to do just what you mentioned- establish roots, friends, etc. I built a business there that was successful and it has been hard to get established in the area I'm living in, so I still do a lot of business 2 hours away where I was living.

As far as daily life and dating- I'm in a much more densely populated area so there are people to date, but most seem to prioritize their work and their friends, and don't seem to be looking for a ltr.
Ironically, there weren't as many people to date where I was but most were ltr-minded.
I moved closer to my adult children, and I would say that that should only be a partial factor. I see them about as much as I used to.
Cost of living, likability of the area, access to medical care, climate, family and friends are all factors- as well as making a living until you retire.
The jury is still out on if I may stay in this area- and I don't like moving. I'm considering staying in this general area and living a bit further out and building - meaning I will sell my current home, etc. Still another move.

I would say to rent for a year wherever you move and see what area(s) you like if you decide to stay there. I've done this once and it worked out well, even though I do not like to rent as a general rule. Best wishes.
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 31
Posted: 7/3/2012 12:04:45 AM
Thank you, Texas...I was impressed with the Dallas Metroplex and the amount of money being invested in schools and roads when I visited there a couple of years ago. I will actually be visiting 3 of RMD's final 4 in two weeks when I drive to GA for a friend's wedding so I am actively researching my final landing spot.

As far as looking for work first, I have tried that but most want to hire someone already living in the area. I am fortunate in that an inheritance I received from my parents will allow me to relocate and look for work once settled.
 notdating-forumsonly
Msg: 32
Posted: 7/3/2012 7:49:51 AM
You're welcome. The fact that you're willing to relocate should be a positive for employers I would think. Many people relocate for work.

The Dallas -Fort Worth area has an endless array of things to do. The suburbs or areas just outside of them are ok- not so congested with traffic, etc. Frisco, TX, just North of Dallas, is the fastest growing area in the state- perhaps in the country. Jobs are available there and in North Dallas, etc.

Austin is another eclectic and popular area sitting in the Hill Country of Central Texas. I' m very familiar with it and have family living there.

Atlanta/ GA, Mississippi, LA-- the rural South- is very Old School and has a lot of racial issues still to this day unfortunately IMO. Just sharing.

I absolutely love the Hill Country of Central Texas- it would be my pick if I move again. Lots to do- lots of outdoor recreation. There are places to live there that are affordable, but it's in high demand and for the most part is on the moderately high side unless you get out a bit. Worth it.
 pfif
Msg: 33
Posted: 7/3/2012 8:24:46 AM
Everything I've heard about Austin indicates I'd love to live there.

Austin sounds like the Texas version of Boston.
 DragonBits
Msg: 34
Posted: 7/3/2012 8:33:24 AM
I have moved from Chicago to WashDC for 5 years, to SanFran for 1.5 years, back to WashDC for 2.0 years, then Dallas TX for 12 years, then back to Chicago area.

I would need a good reason to move again, but there are many places I would move. Most likely would be Bangkok, but staying in Chicago area isn't a bad thing either.

The first time I moved to WashingDC I was about 33 and single, it was more tramatic than I thought. No friends, no family, new area and didn't know where anything was located.
 notdating-forumsonly
Msg: 35
Posted: 7/3/2012 8:56:33 AM

Everything I've heard about Austin indicates I'd love to live there.

Austin sounds like the Texas version of Boston.

Pretty much, except Boston's on the water, and the climate in Austin is more temperate- especially in the Winter.

The Austin area has a lot of Rivers and State Parks and outdoor rec- lots of it- it's designed for it. Since it has a large college the median age is something like the mid-30's and there are tons of outdoor things to do- it's designed for this.

It's the live music capital of the world.

The sister cities have all been designed well IMO.

I go to the Pedernales River and kayak and swim, picnic, hike, etc. ( Most of my family lives there.)
Barton Creek, Lost Maples State Park, LBJ State Park, - tons of them within an hour or two- tons in a tight area as well.
Lots of lakes.

Beautiful terrain.

Eclectic people.
 nativerock
Msg: 36
Posted: 7/3/2012 4:26:24 PM

Most likely would be Bangkok

Interesting since I am thinking Bali..
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2012 5:36:23 PM

Interesting since I am thinking Bali

I have a niece who lives in Bali. She grew up in Canberra, Australia. She does private tutoring in english for the children of ex pats from Australia, the UK, etc. She loves it. I've been and really liked Bali but not my cup of tea to live on an island. There's lots of opportunities for English speaking tutors in Asia both for teaching English as a second language and private lessons for English speaking children. Quite a few of the tutors are folks in their 40's through early 60's.
 pfif
Msg: 38
Posted: 7/3/2012 7:02:31 PM
sci:

rockportrait on posterous blogged about this (in Vietnam).
 Rescueranger245
Msg: 39
Posted: 7/3/2012 7:08:17 PM
I retired a few years ago and have been considering relocating to the gulf coast of Florida. My parents moved there after my dad retired and they fell in love with it. From visiting them, I too fell in love with it. Other than being back in a city again, after getting use to living in the country, I believe it would also afford me to do the traveling that I want to do. My parents are both deceased now and I have only a brother and sister currently in this area. They both enjoy Florida as well and I'm certain they would love to visit as much as possible.

If your career is fluent enough that you can continue wherever you decide to relocate to...I see no reason not to try it. Just remember...Salaries and income vary across the nation according to the cost of living. A job that pays well in New York City will not pay as much somewhere else. Be prepared to take a decrease in pay, if you decide to relocate somewhere where the cost of living is lower.
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 40
Posted: 7/4/2012 12:01:45 AM
Thanks RR245, good advice on the salary thing. I have a set of skills that I can take anywhere (office manager, executive administrative assistant) and I have been looking at salary dot com and some of those other sites to see what the median wages are. Surprisingly, I might actually earn more but spend less on housing if I move, but it is always good to get a grasp on that before moving.
 deere_rancher
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 10/29/2012 7:07:55 PM
I have a career that would allows me to work almost anywhere.
But I have found that the pay is much better out of state
I followed the money , but continue to build my retirement home
in my home town. But I can always sell it , if I decide to retire elsewhere
 SSC-SAF
Msg: 42
Posted: 10/29/2012 8:02:23 PM
I relocated back to my hometown of Pittsburgh seven years ago and began a new career. I love it here in SW PA and I am so happy to be back. Even though I've had a lot of ups and downs since coming back (none to do with the location), I'll never leave again. Most of my old friends are scattered all over, so I've made new friends here, and am still re-exploring the area since I was gone for so many years. It's been named the "most livable city" several times and I have to agree!

If I could live elsewhere, my favorites are Austin, Flagstaff or Lexington, VA.
 40sayers
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 10/29/2012 8:32:25 PM
Pittsburgh Is a great place but have only been there once.

Some people still consider It a town to get gas In on the way to the Hot Spot of Erie.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2012 3:13:49 PM
SSC-SAF -- This Central PA gal LOVES Pittsburgh. I have a few friends there that I made during my legislative career, and have been a HUGE Steelers fan for years! I also dated someone (who lived in Harrisburg), but whose family was from the Hill District.

I would retire and move to P-burgh in a HEARTBEAT! The people are so much friendlier than those in SE PA (Philly)! And much friendlier than Central Pennsylvanians, too!
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2012 6:27:05 PM

Pitsburgh... It's been named the "most livable city" several times and I have to agree!

On what list? The most well known list is that published by the Economist every year. Canada and Australia have 7 of the 10 most livable cities...then one in Finland, Austria and New Zealand.
 SSC-SAF
Msg: 46
Posted: 10/30/2012 7:02:53 PM
We've been ranked #1 in the US on The Economist's list - more than once, I believe - and on Rand McNally's and other livability lists several times as well.

The Economist ranked us #30 in the global livability list for 2012. There was only one other US city on that list.

We are also highly ranked by Forbes, MSN and a number of other lists for livability, most educated, number of institutions of higher learning, most-wired, best outdoors activities, affordability and so on.

I've been saying for many years that it's the best-kept secret in North America, but the secret is finally getting out. We hosted the G20 summit in 2009, and just had the One Young World conference here last week.
 Dolphina
Msg: 47
Posted: 10/31/2012 4:32:19 AM
I moved across country three years ago, for this reason. Favorable climate, good for growing food, fresh air, good water, etc, and especially good for the kind of work I do. Dating, though, is proving a bit difficult. I haven't met anyone really, who is interested in me - beyond sex and beyond the security I can offer them. I actually find this depressing and contemplate every now and again of just giving up the search.
 riverdog120
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 10/31/2012 5:31:08 AM
Living abroad.......I'm thinking Belize...english is offical language.
 waitingforyoutoo
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 10/31/2012 5:57:24 AM
Alabama weather would be just right(very rarely cold), just stay away from the coastal regions(hurricanes). There are tornados here also but not that often. Try to avoid the major cities and hit country (land is cheap).
As far as retirement advantages, nothing. Plenty of taxes and one of the poorest economical states to live in. But know-a-days which state isn't. Plenty of fishing and hunting and good old country cooking. Be careful where you live as crime is everywhere and in every state.
Regardless of where you decide to live, be aware of where the drug houses are,who the neighbors are, and the area.

My ideal location would be the base of the blue ridge mountains in Virginia, just to cold for me now.

As far as over seas there is a cut off age for Australia unless you have a craft that is needed.(thank God I am a custom woodworker/cabinet maker). I plan to retire overseas.
If you are not country then Alabama would not suit you. After all it is where the original colonies sent their trash.(not to say everyone here is that way)
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 10/31/2012 11:47:01 AM

I'm thinking Belize...english is offical language.

True but English isn't an issue in some neighboring Central American countries. Ex pat English speaking enclaves in many coutries in the region. There are so many Canadians in Costa Rica that here are Canadian doctors, dentists, etc. You can live a decent quality of life including rent in Costa Rica for about $1500/month. Many ex pats English speakers there have part time positions managing condos, time shares, in the tourism industry, etc. that provide extra income and keep themselves active.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Relocating and starting over