Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > age, appearance and what you think      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 infennario
Msg: 251
age, appearance and what you thinkPage 11 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)

the majority of us realize we look the age we are and don't mind it at all. And the majority of us do the best we can with what we have - we shouldn't ask for more.

Exactly.

And, weighing less at 50+ than at 25 is not the determinant of fitness. (nor is clothing size) I weigh less than I did at 16-22, and wear much smaller shirts. But that’s because I was fit then- a competitive swimmer in high school and college, training 20 hours a week, with huge shoulders and back muscles. I’m MUCH less fit than when I had another 10-15 lbs on me and I wore a size large blouse. Seems to me that the only way someone can be more fit at 50 or 60 than at 20 or 25 is if they were not fit in their youth.

I get the feeling that the talk about fitness isn’t about fitness at all (other than baseline physical ability to do daily activities), but that “fitness” is being used as a substitute for “cuteness” or “youthfulness.” But that ship has sailed for all of us. Youthfulness is gone and if one of us is cute, we’re really just “cute” for an old gal or guy. No running away from that “old” qualifier. Comparing a 50+ year old to an unfit 25 year old is just silly. If you compare apples to apples- the fit versus the fit- we lose. And really, so what?
 nativerock
Msg: 252
age, appearance and what you think
Posted: 7/17/2012 12:18:39 PM

Comparing a 50+ year old to an unfit 25 year old is just silly. If you compare apples to apples- the fit versus the fit- we lose. And really, so what?

Interesting when I did some challenges of Body for life there were not enough women in my age bracket at that time..I was in my early 50's so was not that old yet... We were supposed to be compared to others in our age grouping but due to the fact there was not enough women training in my age bracket they judge my fitness level with 39- 49 year old women. I rated in the top 10 at the time..

Ideally you compare within at least the same decade and not people that are over a decade younger than you are..So I would be compared with women in the 55- 65 age bracket or 59-69 depending on how they spanned their age groupings..
 Iona_Bob
Msg: 253
Posted: 7/17/2012 12:21:02 PM
I get the feeling that the talk about fitness isn’t about fitness at all (other than baseline physical ability to do daily activities), but that “fitness” is being used as a substitute for “cuteness” or “youthfulness.”

Wow.

The insistence on painting another's concern with their health as a one dimensional feature associated strictly with appearance (cuteness & youthfulness) is such a small-minded perspective. Perhaps the people who continue to promote the idea that the pursuit of fitness is a shallow endeavor have been fortunate enough NOT to watch a loved one deteriorate due to the choices they have made with diet and exercise. Congestive Heart Failure is a horrible and prolonged way to exit this world. So much can be alleviated by long and short term choices in diet as well as activity level.

Trust me when I tell you that I have seen the tortuous effects of this disease and, since heart disease now kills more people in the USA than all cancers combined, most everyone in this thread will be touched by it as well.

Watching a loved one suffer can have a profound impact on the way one chooses to make changes in their own life to avoid a similar fate. Appearance is one consequence of weight control and staying active. I would hope that those who keep trying to paint it as the primary motivator for staying as healthy as it is within one's power to do so, would not have their minds changed by a tragic health-related event in their own circle of loved ones.

Anyway, I tried to point out in an earlier post that "thin" appearing people can have a disproportionately high fat ratio, making them vulnerable to the identical health risks of people who may appear overweight.

I would not be interested in a thin, "normal" or overweight person who was not invested in their health and reflected that as a priority in their lifestyle.

Now can we please refrain from painting a personal committments to health and wellness (weight control, activity level, dietary considerations) as pursuit akin to narcissism? It just makes some people look very ill-informed and small minded.
 nativerock
Msg: 254
Posted: 7/17/2012 12:45:40 PM

Depends on how many oz in the glass, I guess. Regardless, researchers have retracted the 64 oz per day mantra. It's most important that you replenish what you lose. It is going to vary quite a bit from day to day.

Indeed 8 glasses of water per day is often quite a feat to drink.. I would say I drink about 5 glasses per day but I also drink coconut water which is incredibly hydrating daily.. In fact the way you know you are very well hydrated is when you see no color at all in your urine.. It goes clear..
 statemachine500
Msg: 255
Posted: 7/17/2012 1:22:16 PM

Google Vegetarian Body Builders and you will be in for a shock.. Not all vegetarians or even vegans eat alike. I know quite a few vegan body builders that compete one of which happens to be a Quebec woman.. She owns a place called Viva Vegan.. Then there is also Kristin Reisinger who is The Pesco-Vegetarian, Katie Coryell The Vegan, Tonya Kay
The Raw Fooder and the list goes on.. not much muscle mass hardly the truth..

I've checked out what they eat.They either include eggs and cheese or supplement with protein powder,at least the men do and I assume women would have to unless they are in the bikini class.Bill Pearl,Andreas Cahling,they both ate eggs.Jack LaLanne loved raw but he wasn't very big the last few decades of his life.
 statemachine500
Msg: 256
Posted: 7/17/2012 1:26:24 PM

Appearance is one consequence of weight control and staying active. I would hope that those who keep trying to paint it as the primary motivator for staying as healthy as it is within one's power to do so, would not have their minds changed by a tragic health-related event in their own circle of loved ones.

Apparently a whole lot more is happening on the inside that is not so attractive with poor weight control.
 nativerock
Msg: 257
Posted: 7/17/2012 1:35:19 PM
Google vegans they do not eat anything that comes from an animal..So no cheese made from animals they make theirs from nuts, no eggs no dairy except nut milks .

Dusan Dudas is a male vegan body builder who's photos you can see online.. However know quite a few of them from offline that compete here in Quebec. Dusan just put out a book called "Naturally Amazing"

What affects muscle mass more is how old you are.. After the age of 50 it is harder to build those huge muscles without taking steroids...However what women would want to be soo muscle bound anyhow.. I know when I was training hard in my 50's I worried about getting too much muscle but my trainer assured me because of my age I would not get bulky.. Personally find huge muscles on women or men not to be that attractive.. I like long lean muscle not short bulky..
 Plenty_of_FreeTime
Msg: 258
Posted: 7/17/2012 1:52:39 PM
I have to agree with a lot of what nr has to say,diet is pretty important the older we get.
20 years ago I was a big time meat eater and I drank way too much, I worked out a bunch also but I found it hard to maintain a steady weight...I'm 6' and my weight would fluctuate between 190 to as much as 210lbs.
Quit eating meat and drinking the same day just for the hell of it and as a test to my self to see if I could do both at the same time....20 years later I still haven't reverted back to my old habits ( though I do eat fish on occasion).

I find it much easier to maintain my weight now, in the 175lb. range,have just as much energy and feel great!
A side note,all my golf buddies (about the same age as me) who drink and eat red meat,occasionally talk about having ED problems with their wives,I find it funny that I don't seem to have that problem....could it be our differences in diet/drinking habits?
 nativerock
Msg: 259
Posted: 7/17/2012 1:58:03 PM
Vegan's protein powder normally comes from rice. Forgot to mention that I do use some myself from Sun Warrior
At 85% protein, Sunwarrior has the highest (non soy) raw whole grain sprouted vegan protein content on the market. Great tasting with a silky smooth texture. Contains all 9 essential and non-essential amino acis in a perfectly balanced Amino Acid Profile. 98% to 99% digestion efficiency. Hypoallergenic, Non-GMO, Gluten Free
 statemachine500
Msg: 260
Posted: 7/17/2012 2:12:20 PM
Dusan Dudas is a male vegan body builder who's photos you can see online.. However know quite a few of them from offline that compete here in Quebec. Dusan just put out a book called "Naturally Amazing"

What affects muscle mass more is how old you are.. After the age of 50 it is harder to build those huge muscles without taking steroids...However what women would want to be soo muscle bound anyhow.. I know when I was training hard in my 50's I worried about getting too much muscle but my trainer assured me because of my age I would not get bulky.. Personally find huge muscles on women or men not to be that attractive.. I like long lean muscle not short bulky..

The more muscular pics are from 10 years ago,when he was eating meat.You can see the diff but his test levels have likely taken a dive past 50 or so.I'm not massive by the way,175 lbs with abs clearly visible on a 5'8 frame is considered very small.Greeneyes bf is 5'6 200....you should talk more about your juicing Rock...lol.

Never really looked into those "other"protein powders.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 261
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2012 2:40:30 PM
I don't know any guys or gals at the gym who do weights because they are into 'bodybuilding'. They do weights because they like to keep their muscles strong and their bodies toned. Young guys might be looking to put on a few pounds of muscle but they are a small minority of gym goers. It's no different than when I do my evening run...anyone out there is just doing it to keep the cardio-vascular system healthy...not into 'racing'.

I agree with 'plenty of Free Time' above. The benefits of a healthy diet really kicks in for us guys as we get older. Unfortunatelty there are a lot like Bill Clinton who pick of a vegetarian or mostly vegetarian diet only after heart or other issues.

Re a comment above about the benefits of coffee...I take those types of studies with a grain of salt...coffee, red wine, chocolate, etc. may not be 'bad' for use but i question if they are actually beneficial...I'm more in the 'i don't know' column.
 statemachine500
Msg: 262
Posted: 7/17/2012 2:44:59 PM

I don't know any guys or gals at the gym who do weights because they are into 'bodybuilding'. They do weights because they like to keep their muscles strong and their bodies toned. Young guys might be looking to put on a few pounds of muscle but they are a small minority of gym goers. It's no different than when I do my evening run...anyone out there is just doing it to keep the cardio-vascular system healthy...not into 'racing'.

I'm the old man in my gym.Almost all people in their 20's,some 30's,handful of 40's.Half dozen women,none past 45,mostly young.
 DoubleParked
Msg: 263
Posted: 7/17/2012 2:51:57 PM
I truly appreciate all the well meaning health and wellness advice the latest posters have given me. However, was not the post more asking whether on a personal level, when we look at our cohorts, perceive them as looking 'old' and ourselves as 'younger looking' ? More towards the inner image we have of ourselves compared to how we look to others? And the gap being that which keeps us from connecting with others? As in the thinking that 'they look old, I certainly don't. People tell me all the time I don't look my age. Certainly that's not your 'daughter/son'! You must have been 12 when you gave birth, yaddayaddayadda. Suckers for flattery perhaps?

There is a forum for 'health and fitness', cooking and recipes', etc. where you might actually help people seeking your nutritional and fitness wisdom. Go there. Please.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 264
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2012 2:59:21 PM
Statemachine,
My gym is part of our local community recreation/health center. It's designed so that if you drop in to the a doctor or whomever that you might then get prescribed a meeting with a fitness person and a tour of the pool, gym, etc. This leads to a higher age demographics in the weight rooms. Lots of people over 50...although many overweight folks get their health card stamped but then spend a lot of time in the sauna and hot tub.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 265
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2012 3:04:39 PM

There is a forum for 'health and fitness', cooking and recipes', etc. where you might actually help people seeking your nutritional and fitness wisdom. Go there. Please.

No. the question is 'what do you think'. 'I think' age and appearance are linked to lifestyle choices...this includes diet and activity level.
 Happy Dude 63
Msg: 266
Posted: 7/17/2012 3:10:03 PM
Lucks4u2
I am glad none of "us" older dudes did any hating on ya. Why should we. really YOU are the subject of the question.

YOU stated you think you look 5 years younger then your actually age and you stated or I read that you seem to like younger men, because of sex..IF you found a mature younger guy? And you must feel you deserve and can attract a younger man because you are fit and look younger then your years>

Which I think maybe a lot of women may agree with you...

oddly I would think, and I am speculating,
that guys who would rather have a younger girl, dont care as much about even maturity.

As my thoughts if you look younger? I think you look very fit...and nice. I dont think I am surprised you are 46. But you a young looking 46?
 nativerock
Msg: 267
Posted: 7/17/2012 3:14:42 PM

find it much easier to maintain my weight now, in the 175lb. range,have just as much energy and feel great!
A side note,all my golf buddies (about the same age as me) who drink and eat red meat,occasionally talk about having ED problems with their wives,I find it funny that I don't seem to have that problem....could it be our differences in diet/drinking habits?

Your weight sounds perfect for a man that is 6 feet tall..Drinking as well as a host of other things like a spare tire will certainly cause ED problems. Also if they are eating meat perhaps they have a cholesterol problem as well.. Not at all good...

You know there are some vegans that are fact like this previous poster described gaunt looking and no muscle.. Then there are also some high raw vegans that are obese.. No different then people that eat a S.A.D. diet.. a variety of body shapes because what they are eating is very different..

Take Dr Douglas Graham that wrote the 80 10 10 diet, he eats way more fruits than greens.. However he has great muscle tone for a man over the age of 60 and also endurance.. I was watching him do pushups on you tube called "The Hardest Push-Ups On The Planet" he was 58 when he made this video.. but today he is still pumping those Samson Push-ups out.. He has the nice long lean muscle I happen to like. rather than the bulky body builder type of gent.
 nativerock
Msg: 268
Posted: 7/17/2012 3:35:49 PM

You can see the diff but his test levels have likely taken a dive past 50 or so.I'm not massive by the way,175 lbs with abs clearly visible on a 5'8 frame is considered very small.Greeneyes bf is 5'6 200....you should talk more about your juicing Rock...lol.

Wow my husband that passed away young was a body builder and the same height as you are..However he did not weigh as much as you do.. He was 165 pounds.. My younger son is your weight but 5 feet 11 inches tall and it is the perfect weight for him.. But you are not at all big considering how big and bulky some of these body builders can be and that includes women..

Oh juicing flooding my body with all those fresh nutrients.. do not get me started..I am about to head out around the corner and pick me some fresh organic produce right off the vine.. lol
 statemachine500
Msg: 269
Posted: 7/17/2012 5:56:58 PM
Jack LaLanne was big on juicing for years.Yeah some guys really,really push it.They eat way too many calories for too long.BCAA's are the future.Easy on the body.
 Welsh474
Msg: 270
Posted: 7/17/2012 6:36:55 PM
From the OP and needs to be repeated: ""I am just wondering how many of "us" believe we look much younger then we are? OR is it, that we just see ourselves through younger eyes?
Does anyone ever think we look at potential suitors as too old for us, because we feel we look younger then we are. And we only feel that way because it is a defense mechanism?""

as does: ""There is a forum for 'health and fitness', cooking and recipes', etc. where you might actually help people seeking your nutritional and fitness wisdom. Go there. Please. "" and maybe even "snore fest" and "off topic" and "hijacking a thread".

There are folks that look their age or younger but they "act" old. I don't want someone that "acts" like a senior citizen, I want young at heart and mind - I don't care how grey the hair is, how many wrinkles they have - they need to have zest.
 infennario
Msg: 271
Posted: 7/17/2012 7:07:10 PM
The insistence on painting another's concern with their health as a one dimensional feature associated strictly with appearance (cuteness & youthfulness) is such a small-minded perspective. Perhaps the people who continue to promote the idea that the pursuit of fitness is a shallow endeavor have been fortunate enough NOT to watch a loved one deteriorate due to the choices they have made with diet and exercise.

A lot of the fitness talk in this thread (not all) is BS, as TheGentemanCaller pointed out at the beginning of the really deep do-do. Weight, clothing size and so on are not clear indicators of fitness. I was fitter when bigger. Meatiness just looks healthier and more youthful to me. Good example:
http://www.veggieboards.com/t/131300/gillian-mckeith-vs-nigella-lawson-vegan-vs-meat-eater

Much of what has been said about fitness is about appearance, not fitness, and focused on weight and leanness. For instance, saying that bulk and musculature is unattractive underscores that body strength, fitness, is not the goal for everyone, leanness is. Super fit athletes are muscular, have bulk, with some exception, like marathoners.

I do not consider the pursuit of fitness to be shallow, only that many consider their endeavors to look good and feel good to equate with fitness or looking younger, when I just don’t view skinny or super lean as looking youthful or fit, based upon my personal paradigms for both. To me, bulk, musculature and meatiness are the LOOK of youthfulness, strength and beauty, because they are the traits of someone with a strong body.
 tbicon
Msg: 272
Posted: 7/17/2012 7:13:36 PM

Super fit athletes are muscular

And super fit athletes are also lean and NOT muscular. Long distance runners in particular.
 infennario
Msg: 273
Posted: 7/17/2012 7:18:57 PM
Yes, and if you had included the entire sentence, the exception of marathoners was there. They are exceptions , but few. And a 60 year old who is wiry and thin doesn't look either fit or youthful to me (in re age, appearance and what you think...)
To me, people with meat look healthier and more youthful. Like Nigella versus Gillian in the link.
 tbicon
Msg: 274
Posted: 7/17/2012 7:37:35 PM
right, well this is all subjective of course. I happen to think that leaner older people look younger and healthier. Most older people are simply thicker than when they were young. If they can keep that lean look, they look younger, at least to me. I never looked at a muscular guy as necessarily being fit, only likely strong.
 Ready_Real
Msg: 275
Posted: 7/17/2012 7:46:25 PM

As my thoughts if you look younger? I think you look very fit...and nice. I dont think I am surprised you are 46. But you a young looking 46?

Is that a polite way of telling her that she looks her age! Regardless, I'm impressed, you said that very politely.

Yep. Polite as it is! I recognized the "approach" -- I got the same response several weeks ago from a fellow forumite. Now mind you: I asked. Via private message. Well. He delivered! Via private message. Which consisted of an almost verbatim version of the above. LOLOLOL: I guess I momentarily threw caution to the wind forgetting the old saying, "Be careful what you ask for."
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > age, appearance and what you think