Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ShelbySask4friend1
Msg: 2
Insomnia and.. Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Masturbation is a powerful sedative...
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Insomnia and..
Posted: 7/4/2012 4:27:15 AM
Yes, but she already tried that without relief.

This does sound complicated, OP. It's possible that your sexual desires are linked directly in a physio-psychological way to your sense of security.

In a general way, that is common to lots of species; a perceived challenge to one's continuity, triggers the DNA based response to try to procreate, in order to preserve itself through progeny. This would be a logical reason why masturbation wouldn't satisfy, because the DNA "knows" that a mate wasn't involved.

I've experienced a lot of stress and anxiety in my life, especially during times when I was without a caring mate, so I have suffered at least some of the sort of thing you describe. I had to muddle through with intermittent sleep, using the sorts of helps that you mention. But the only thing that actually solves any problem's symptoms, is something that directly addresses the core of the problem itself.

You might try to fool your own psychology a bit, by combining physically tiring activities with social interaction. Join into a team sports activity, if you can afford the time. Perhaps if you can perform strenuous physical activity while also having other people around with whom you are interacting on some intellectual level, your subconscious will relax a bit on it's urge to push you to make children in response to the stress.

Which suggests something else to me, if you want: get old-fashioned birth control pills. Since they are designed to chemically fool the body into thinking it is pregnant, they might be what you need to calm the urge to go through the motions of doing so.
 ShelbySask4friend1
Msg: 6
Insomnia and..
Posted: 7/4/2012 4:40:26 AM

If that worked I wouldn't have written a public humiliating thread.

ohh,lol, next time include it in the tried exercises...

p.s -3ffervescent

Thanks Teach :)
 Walts
Msg: 8
Insomnia and..
Posted: 7/4/2012 4:48:40 AM
You're going to have retrain your brain. Seriously. If you worry about yesterday, and/or what "could" happen tomorrow, you'll never get anything done, especially sleep. My daughter is somewhat like you(don't know about the masturbation),but she's a "planner",which is fine. Like I've told her,plan all ya want, but do know plans WILL change, and know they will.

The reality of today, is just that. Reality. No need to fret about it, till it happens. THEN deal with it. Not BEFORE it COULD happen. A lot of us have been right where you are right now. Experince will help. Honest.
 windchymes
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Insomnia and..
Posted: 7/4/2012 5:22:18 AM
When you have real insomnia, all those little piddly remedies like tea, hot baths, etc. don't do squat. You don't know insomnia until you've taken five Tylenol PM's, two melatonin's, an Ambien, a good strong drink....enough to put a normal human in a coma....and still not be able to sleep. I've been there.

Like Walts said, you have to retrain your brain to fall asleep. Even worrying about falling asleep can cause anxiety that keeps you awake, it's a vicious cycle. This is up there with piddly remedies, but I have found that keeping the tv on in the room turned down low with boring, conversational-type shows like sitcoms give my brain background noise to focus on so the rest of my brain doesn't go into spaz out mode and cause anxiety, and I fall right to sleep and sleep through the night. No loud music shows or action dramas, just droning stuff. Law and Order is really good for that, even though it's a great show, lol. The deep voices just lull me right to sleep.

If you're not opposed to "drugs", you could try the Tylenol PM's or something similar to get you through the stressful time. It is possible to build up a tolerance for them over time, but they might get you through if you know it's just temporary stress and you return to normal once the stress time is over. And I swear by melatonin. It's not a drug, it's the synthetic version of the sleep hormone that your body is supposed to make naturally. One or two of those before bed could have you snoring within a half hour.

Good luck, I feel your pain, I suffered through about 15 years of horrible insomnia.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Insomnia and..
Posted: 7/4/2012 5:28:15 AM

Like Walts said, you have to retrain your brain to fall asleep. Even worrying about falling asleep can cause anxiety that keeps you awake

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would look in the health forums and thread search sleep/can't sleep/sleep disorders/insomnia.
You CAN re train your brain.

You may have to implement various things, (even supplements for a while) but with good nutrition, relaxation techniques and exercise you CAN do it.
 cr4zycupcake
Msg: 16
Insomnia and..
Posted: 7/4/2012 12:41:37 PM
sleeping pills, thats all u got left that'll work soz
 ShelbySask4friend1
Msg: 19
Insomnia and..
Posted: 7/4/2012 11:57:40 PM
Are you sleeping tonight,lol...???
 packagedealx3
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Insomnia and..
Posted: 7/5/2012 6:43:55 AM

You are right Walts, I need to let something go. The problem is that I can't afford to do it until October, after the middle of October everything will be better, I just need to stay sane until then. 'Hope for the best, prepare for the worse'.

This is your problem. I tutor college students (for the last 17 years) and have a 20-year-old so I have a lot of experience with your issues and frame of mind. Honey, it isn't going to get better in October. When you graduate then you need to find a job in a complete shit job market. Then you might meet a man you want to marry so the wedding will stress you out, then the kids, then, then, then. The issue is not your current life experiences but your response to them.

Sure some of your immediate stressors will be gone but they will be replaced by something else. My daughter winds up getting herself wound like a top about her grades and whatever the hell else is going on each semester. Which when you really step back and look at it, is going to be the defeat of whatever you are trying to do.

So, if you want to sleep you need to learn to manage your life better. If you do your work and you make the right choices throughout the semester, get papers out of the way when you can when the semester starts rather than waiting until you have 5 papers due the same week, etc. Outside of taking preventive measures when possible, everything you are worried about is either going to happen or it won't. How is making yourself nuts to the point you can't sleep helping anything?

Why is your family coming stressing you? When you start looking at the things you are worried about one, most of the stuff you can't change. You will do yourself a huge favor if you really embrace the serenity prayer. And I am telling you this as a person who was wound up like 24/7 when I was your age because I was raised by a control freak.

And here's the thing, if you believe the only thing that will release stress and give you a good night's sleep is getting laid then buy some condoms and get laid. It really IS that simple :)
 want to travel
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Insomnia and..
Posted: 7/5/2012 3:44:53 PM
go to a doctor
it could be serious
sleep appnia,or worse!
do not mess with your sleep....
 AnEvilGenius1
Msg: 31
Insomnia and..
Posted: 7/5/2012 3:50:28 PM
Cannabis!

You're welcome!
 moraima
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Insomnia and..
Posted: 7/5/2012 3:51:28 PM
" I was hallucinating and nearing a psychotic break."

A good friend of mine did two tours in Vietnam. He told me many of the troops suffered from psychotic breaks from lack of sleep. They often had to march for two hours, take a 15 mins. sleep break, then repeat sometimes for days. He told me that the army's therapy for psychotic break due to lack of sleep was to put the person in a drug induced coma sometimes for months as a cure.
He said that he was one of the lucky ones, who could fall asleep in a heart beat.

Some people think that when a person can't sleep because their partner snores, that they should just suck it up. People have no idea how important sleep is to health.
 azeldteacher
Msg: 33
Insomnia and..
Posted: 7/5/2012 3:57:13 PM

Law and Order is really good for that, even though it's a great show, lol. The deep voices just lull me right to sleep.

Reruns of Matlock help me! I went through a really bad spot of this myself once while I was still married. I sleep much better now, but now and then have to turn to Matlock and melatonin does work well too. RIP Andy Griffith!
 AnEvilGenius1
Msg: 35
Insomnia and..
Posted: 7/5/2012 4:07:06 PM
Cannabis!
Canna butter, canna cookies, canna soda..

You're welcome!
 CharminC
Msg: 44
Insomnia and..
Posted: 7/6/2012 10:32:49 AM
I recall only a certain time insomnia and. .......... wasn't working for me.
It just made me try harder. I don't give him easily.
I got so tired I fell asleep.
It worked!
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >