Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > This extreame heat      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 26
This extreame heatPage 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

Vlad Dracul - its rained most of the week and we had flooding. there was a thunder and lightning
show around 3 hours ago and the rain was bouncing up of the pavement.

the forecast is rain the morn, rain on friday and guess what? yep rain on saturday as well.

You'll be due a hosepipe ban at this rate !
 junipermoon
Msg: 27
view profile
History
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/5/2012 4:56:08 AM
we have 90-95 degrees and about 65% humidity. since i work as a gardener, i spend hours
outdoors. and my client doesn't have many shady spots. we had a rainy spring, followed by
extreme heat, so i have to battle mold, mildew and slug infestations. plus, in all the heat, the
gardens dry out quickly and needs heavy doses of water.

but, happily, the pansies haven't wilted and continue to bloom and they look gorgeous! the lilies
love this weather, too. i thought i'd lost his buttefly weed, but it came back, showing plenty of
color. the bee balm looks beautiful too!

water, water, water! i guess i'm lucky to live in close proximity to many creeks, streams and rivers.

yeah, people survived for centuries without air conditioning, but they didn't have asphalt either. i avoid
town like the plague when it gets this hot.
 OMG!WTF!
Msg: 28
view profile
History
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/5/2012 5:50:50 AM
My golden retriever friend and I spent yesterday at 8000 feet. Had lunch at the top of a glacier, strapped the doggles on and skied down to swim in a lake that still had ice bergs on it. Plodded home at a breezy, sunny 60 degrees F. I suspect we'll pay for it all this winter.
 OMG!WTF!
Msg: 29
view profile
History
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/5/2012 7:53:12 AM
I totally get your misery. I spent many summers in Arizona splashing about in warm pools and sleeping next to swamp coolers. And don't worry...you will have your revenge....sometime around mid November when the wind chill hits about -40. If you want, send me a message and email and I'll send you some heart chilling dog/snow/mountain pics. Sure to knock the humidex down by a point or two.
 RushLuv
Msg: 30
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/5/2012 8:31:41 AM
Just wondering how everyone is coping with the extreme heat?

Any heat over 85 degrees is extreme to me. I should be used to the dry heat we receive in SoCal, but I'm not and I was born and raised here. I live in the dry desert, Inland Empire area unfortunately.

We were in LA County for the 4th, and it was overcast. 70 degrees in Newport. Get back to the desert, and the sweat shirt comes off. It was no longer needed.

To handle the heat, I run the AC and stay in as much as possible. I don't step outside, unless I have to.
 Tayfire
Msg: 31
view profile
History
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/5/2012 9:22:29 AM
As with another fellow Scot's post earlier up her in Dundee Scotland it's turned out sunny today but it wont last seemingly it's rain for the weekend here what's new.LoL. Seemingly in June it's been one of the wettest now continuing into July. Should do away with the season's in this country.LoL
 vlad dracul
Msg: 32
view profile
History
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/5/2012 9:24:32 AM
well its a tropical 62F just now in edinburgh so time to turn the central heating
down a wee bit

thats some heat you lot are getting over there though. very uncomfortable i would imagine?
 vnufall
Msg: 33
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/5/2012 9:54:18 AM
i live in southeast michigan. i hate this extreme heat because i can't go walking because of the thunderstorms in the morning and late afternnoon. yesterday went to see spiderman, mostly to be in air conditioning and right in the middle of the movie there was a electrical surge and the movie went out and the lights were flickering. when we got out of there the sky was black and i couldn't tell if it was thundering or if people were lighting off m-80s for the 4th of july....lol. what a day.
 MsMicki
Msg: 34
view profile
History
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/5/2012 10:04:58 AM
I actually put a huge umbrella up beside my pool so I could be in the shade in the water.....one can only take so much sunshine!!

Yesterday was absolutely miserable, I felt bad for all the folks that marched in parades and band members up on stages.
 Apostrophe7
Msg: 35
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/5/2012 10:20:57 AM
This seems to be a pretty hot topic.
 raxarsr
Msg: 36
view profile
History
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/5/2012 11:52:56 AM
i think i'm gonna punch the first person i hear complaining its cold
 MsMicki
Msg: 37
view profile
History
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/5/2012 6:54:57 PM
I love all that summer brings........except the ridiculous heat and humidity!!
Even with a pool (which by the way is so damn warm it's not even feeling good) I can't handle these temps.
I actually backwashed about 2 inches out of the pool and put in ice cold well water to cool it down a bit so it actually cooled you off instead of feeling like a sauna!!
 matchlight
Msg: 38
view profile
History
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/5/2012 9:49:24 PM
I grew up in L.A., and I like the heat. I used to work outdoors when it was over 100 and lived in Tempe for a couple years, so I'm used to it. One day there it broke records all over the state. It was 122 in Phoenix and 128 at Lake Havasu. They closed Sky Harbor airport, because the planes need too long a roll to take off when the air's that hot. You could feel the heat from the pavement through the soles of your shoes.

The worst part about that humid eastern heat is the bugs it brings out--gnats, deer flies, skeeters, etc.
 lotustemple
Msg: 39
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/6/2012 1:20:21 PM
Weather has been absolutely perfect here in Hawaii for the last year and 1/2, a little on the rainy side but I like it that way. I'm trying not to feel guilty.
 NO_NO
Msg: 40
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/6/2012 1:39:57 PM
In my early teens I lived in the state of Rio, which would get as high as 45C°, I had no airconditioner, and humanity was really high as well. I remember sometimes taking three showers at night hours just to have any sleep. I had a fan, but that did nothing to cool of the air.

I manage to survive that, and since then I have yet to be in a situation that came close to such stage.

I'm in Florida right now, sometimes it gets to the low 100's, but I'm never in the sun for more than an hour, so it doesn't bother me at all.

Saying all that, I rather be in extreme cold than extreme hot weather places.
 TooShadows
Msg: 41
view profile
History
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/6/2012 2:02:57 PM
The temp's here are in the mid-80's. That's not too bad even for Manitoba,but the humidity is high too. I spend most of my spare time cowering in my house,where my geo-thermal system keeps things cool.
 irishlab33
Msg: 42
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/7/2012 9:11:17 AM
Hey guys!

Don't worry about the people dying cause of the extreme heat!

It's just "really warm".

Aristotle Amadaololis:

FYI: A heat index of 101 is not extreme.

130F + is extreme, 101F is just really warm
 hoopsnhikes
Msg: 43
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/7/2012 9:30:51 AM

Hey guys!

Don't worry about the people dying cause of the extreme heat!

It's just "really warm".

When I first read that a few days ago, I was wondering, by what standards?

I had looked up the forecast for the OP's area (in Iowa) for that day, and it was apparently hot enough for the National Weather Service to skip the "just really warm" warnings and go straight to the "excessive heat" warnings. Though I'm sure they were probably "wrong" about it too.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 44
view profile
History
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/7/2012 11:13:17 AM
Still hitting over 100 everyday here in the South. We had a wild derecho event Thursday evening with sustained guts of 70 plus.

Meanwhile, back in my old stomping grounds in the midwest, roads are buckling. Watching this slowed me down and with eye on the vehicles ahead of me.
http://fox2now.com/2012/07/03/suv-flies-into-the-air-after-hitting-buckled-highway-pavement/
 Notricksters
Msg: 45
view profile
History
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/7/2012 11:26:07 AM
Hoops- Hi, as of 1:16pm in my town it's only 99 deg. now w/heat index of 103 deg.. Humidity is on 35% so it's getting a bit better, however we haven't had rain in ages. Local sweet corn growers...no sweet corn this year. The corn & other farm crops are really suffering.. I have not seen 1 mosquito this summer, my Orioles are drinking the homemade hummingbird syrup, the Robins are eating the Orioles grape jam, had a squirrel eating the green leaf of my container flowers, found 2 dead birds so far, & birds & squirells are "sharing" the water I have set out. Things have changed. Oh...down to 89 deg. tomorrow. I won't believe it till I see it. But we all keep managing, don't we.
 KittenCatt
Msg: 46
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/7/2012 2:04:00 PM
It's hot here near Sacramento, but totally normal for this time of year....Hell Heat fer sure. Thank goodness it's dry heat.
 want to travel
Msg: 47
view profile
History
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/7/2012 2:20:26 PM
well its crazy hot and humid
38 c at 430 this morning, it was like walking out into a wall of steam!!!
 MsMicki
Msg: 48
view profile
History
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/7/2012 11:49:12 PM
temps at their coolest tonight.......it is only 75 degrees at 3 am.....but 69% humidity!
Cool front moving through and highs in the mid 80's for the next 5 days........WOOT!

Now if we could just get some rain!!
Cities all around me have watering bans......luckily I'm in the country and have my own well, so I can water the garden and flowers. Most the state been under a fire ban for a few weeks.

Fireworks were cancelled all over the place which resulted in the small town I live near (pop. 2200) having 10,000 people showing up for the fireworks on the 4th!! What a frikken mess that was!!
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 49
view profile
History
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/8/2012 5:36:19 AM
107 index here the other day and VERY humid.
The car was dripping wet .

The sidewalks and driveway have fried earthworms all over them and August hasn't hit us yet..
The grass and weeds shoot up after 4 days..

We will have a hard summer here.

I do redneck insulation.I dont care what it looks like.
I keep it dark inside.
Wear cotton dresses.Cover with long loose sleeves ( white) when outside.
Inside wear very little..cotton.
Spray myself down cold water with peppermint oil on my body and scalp /feet

Only work out in the mornings in a cold classroom.
Walk the dog early and late except her 5 minute mid day tinkle
Cook in the mornings then eat once its cooled off.
Eat lots of frozen fruit.

I have to keep the ac on 85-86 for the dogs sake but Im OK with that.
At night I may turn it down a degree or two.
Two degrees can mean you sleep well or you don't.

Hats..I may even start walking with an umbrella/parasol.

Some have it a lot worse but its HOOOOOOOOT.

Your body gets used to it to a certain degree over the years.

The hottest I have ever been was in Atlanta..Less trees than this area.
 BrockLee74
Msg: 50
This extreame heat
Posted: 7/8/2012 7:55:19 AM
Today is the first day it has been under 100 for a week now. Indiana is going through a drought as well. My lawn is fried. There have been little fires all over the place.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > This extreame heat