Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do u dress up or dress down on a first meetup?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 26
Do u dress up or dress down on a first meetup?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

So he was a controlling wanker then? ;-)

My thoughts exactly!! Guys who make comments like that creep me out.
 Blue-Eyes-Shine
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Do u dress up or dress down on a first meetup?
Posted: 7/5/2012 10:57:24 PM
^ I agree with both of you. He expects you to dress up while he dresses casual. :(
 aussiesealady
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/5/2012 11:28:19 PM
I presume sweats are what we call trakkie daks or a track suit like an athlete wears over the top of sports clothing.
Do people wear those clothes for any purpose other than sport or curling up in front of a fire wearing Ugg boots?

I have had a first meeting in shorts and no make up if at a beach or on the way to go sailing etc.

High heels and make up on a beach is just silly!!!

If in a cafe then make up, hair done, laundered clothing and heels depend on the height of the man involved.

If with heels I will be the same height or shorter then I may wear heels.
If heels make me tower over him I don't.

If I have been at work wearing super corporate clothing I dress it down. ie at least remove the jacket or explain to him that is the what I will be wearing.

I do not wear jewellery or go over the top for a first meeting.
The same as when wearing shorts etc I tell him that.
 Portlanderr
Msg: 29
Posted: 7/6/2012 5:41:47 AM
I always wear decent, neat clothes to any first meet or date, dressing appropriately for where we are going. My hair is done and I wear light make up.

Once a man wanted to meet me for the first time after my workout class, and I refused because I knew I would not look my best. After working out, my hair is a wreck, face is red, I'm sweaty, etc. I love the feeling after my workout, but no way I would meet a man for the first time right after one.
 ladyc4
Msg: 30
Posted: 7/6/2012 11:39:22 AM
I'm about the most casual, laid-back, low-maintenance woman in the world, but the only way I can even BEGIN to imagine showing up to a date in sweats would be if the date was to whitewash the henhouse, bale hay or stretch fence...
As to why any other woman on the planet would choose to come to a date wearing sweats or other uber-casual clothing, I wouldn't dare to speculate.
Cindy O
 AlfredoDP
Msg: 31
Posted: 7/7/2012 6:15:18 AM
Dress with what ever makes you more comfortable...
Cleanliness goes a long way.
 Greatcatch12345
Msg: 32
Posted: 7/7/2012 6:42:26 AM
Thank u guys for all your comments. It was refreshing to read the stories of both men & women that have experienced sloppy clothes, messy hair, and such. FYI- that first meetup with the hot chick was at a casual sushi/thai place and we had dinner (she knew the venue and had been there before many times). We are still somewhat friends as we bump into each other from time to time (accidently) and she has set me up with some of her other single friends.Her personal story is kinda whacked but thats another post.
I'm not going to deny that i am very visual. I have a first meet again (from here) tomorrow for sunday brunch at a cafe on the beach, and from the looks of her pics..she's pretty hot.Let's keep our fingers crossed!! lol..
 jaqi
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2012 1:41:55 PM
I always pop a dress on whenever I go and meet ... which isn't that often these days as I am always dancing :) I am never overdressed ... everyone else is underdressed!
 helloitssimplyme
Msg: 34
Posted: 7/13/2012 1:30:15 PM
Dress to attract ! Men are very visual and women are too ! I had men show up in old shorts and a faded shirts ,my thought was where is the guy in the pic .lol! I am a down to earth type of person and I am fine with jeans and a nice shirt or even nice shorts. Just put some effort into it ,show the person they were worth the time to clean -up .
 Bassbob47
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2012 1:32:53 PM
I dress how i always dress casual but smart, i must admit i like my ladies casual too, if there all done up Laura ashley style, i find that a tad off putting.
 Thornz2000
Msg: 36
Posted: 7/13/2012 5:18:26 PM
I was always taught 1st impression is lasting impression.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 37
Posted: 7/13/2012 8:58:57 PM

Thornz2000
I was always taught 1st impression is lasting impression.

Dang, I better get my Tux cleaned and pressed for that coffee meet and greet at Starbucks, want to give a good first impression. On second thought, that's stupid and she'll think I'm weird showing up like that. What you wear depends on the situation, who and where you're meeting.
 MutedEnthusiasm
Msg: 38
Posted: 7/13/2012 9:41:37 PM
I dress for me, clean and casual – jeans or chinos, a t-shirt and jacket. For a coffee, walk in the park or beach I think that’s adequate. I'll dress if we go for dinner, but that's later.
 Stóirín
Msg: 39
Posted: 7/13/2012 9:54:27 PM
I really think it depends on where you meet. I had a 1st meet and he took me to Olive Garden. You bet I dressed nice and the whole nine yards! But then so did he. We drove our own vehicles and he met me at mine and opened the door for me. We had a really good time as well...until his ex started texting him. I just laughed it off and he seemed really glad that I did and he apologized profusely for her messing up our dinner (she didn't). We ended up going to his place and talking half the night. Really sweet guy but we weren't looking for the same things at the time. Would I go out with him again? Sure would because he was a gentleman from start to finish.

I could never show up in a pair of sweatpants...I don't even own a pair! And probably never will. They are unattractive no matter which gender is wearing them. I know if you go to a gym they have showers and dressing rooms so coming straight from a work out just won't fly whether you are male or female. If I dress "down" it would be jeans and a cute tee shirt, dressing up...dress pants or a dress/skirt. I'm not all that fond of make up but I do wear it occasionally and its hardly noticeable when I do.

And never ever ever wear crocs for a 1st meet or any time! I shudder just thinking about those things on my feet! eeewww! I'd rather go bare foot if that was the only footwear available.
 Phil_an_derer
Msg: 40
Posted: 7/14/2012 5:32:44 AM
It doesn't matter what I wear as I can feel them undressing me with their eyes!!!!!have a nice day!!!!!
 nubeginnings64
Msg: 41
Posted: 7/14/2012 6:07:56 AM
Casual as I normally wear, freshly showered, well groomed with cologne & my clothes are pressed. I expect the same in a woman, well groomed & in attire she'd typically wear.

Only one showed up dressed down. How rude. Maybe it's a "I'm sexy & I know it" (I work out) mentality. I sarcastically said "every man's dream" about her dirty sweats, no make-up & muffed hair.Wonder why she left?
 Tgav4367
Msg: 42
Posted: 7/14/2012 3:38:43 PM
I'm all for being yourself for a meet n greet. If your a jeans and tshirt kinda person why dress up to look different? Kinda like giving a false impression of who you really are.

Now a date, that's a bit different. Dress for the venue.
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 43
Posted: 7/14/2012 6:59:03 PM
I always dress nicely to honor the occasion and make a good first impression. Yesterday I had a first date going for a two-hour walk in 96-degree heat. I wore a short, breathable, flattering little dress, a sun hat and tennis shoes. I carried a small pack with: swimsuit, sunscreen, two protein bars, toilet paper, insect repellent and water.

He wowed me by bringing a pad for us to sit beside the river, instead of on sharp, uneven rocks. My swimsuit stayed dry. Washington State rivers are dangerous: icy cold, extremely fast, and swollen with unprecedented levels of water for this time of year, due to massive, sudden snow melt.
 raicor
Msg: 44
Posted: 7/14/2012 9:55:34 PM
business casual... roflmho. :) had some girl chastise me for showing up without a collared shirt. got up, thanked her for her time and left. showing up like a housing challenged person i wouldn't see as useful of course. well, might be kind of fun to see the reaction. ha ha. in reality, if there is a focus on how i dress then can you imagine the inane thought patterns and irrelevant "standards" forthcoming. blech.

stay frosty... you don't want to let one of those things get you.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 45
Posted: 7/14/2012 10:56:53 PM
Show up how you normally dress, not how you think they'd want you to. If they don't like the way you dress then they're not the person for you anyways. In the end it comes down to, "to thine own self be true". Don't try and be someone you're not, because you can only keep that up so long. Then the true you comes out and if they can't handle the true you, they'll be gone.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 46
Posted: 7/15/2012 6:30:44 AM
I dress pretty casual for a first meet being that they are usually held at a coffee shop or a pub. Jeans or a jean skirt with a nice top. If I accept a dinner invitation then I will dress accordingly.

A friend of mine said she went on a meet and the guy showed up wearing cut off jean shorts and crocks. Too funny. would have loved to see the incredulous look on her face. *Grins*

...mae
 JAXDiver
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2012 10:17:29 PM
*mae* wrote:
A friend of mine said she went on a meet and the guy showed up wearing cut off jean shorts and crocks. Too funny. would have loved to see the incredulous look on her face. *Grins*

In most beach camps in Florida, cut-off jeans and crocks is standard apparel. Cargo shorts and a Golf shirt is "dressed up".

Cheers!
JAX
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 48
Posted: 7/16/2012 10:26:13 PM

In most beach camps in Florida, cut-off jeans and crocks is standard apparel. Cargo shorts and a Golf shirt is "dressed up".

Oh oh....maybe I just offended a whole lot of people.

A little off topic but last summer when my doctor went on holidays the doctor that took over for him walked into the examination room and he was wearing a pair of clogs. I kinda did a double take.

...mae
 TryAgan
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2012 11:00:56 PM
I dress up but the level depends on the destination.
Obviously, I always shower and change my clothes and make an effort with my appearance.

If we went to opera, I would put on my dark suit. But since usually the meetings detoriate to a walk in the park, I wear jeans and long-sleeve cotton shirt. In early spring, I don a mosquito vest.

I definitely shower for the third date.
 Spence56
Msg: 50
Posted: 7/29/2012 10:17:12 AM
I just dress the norm for the day. I'm trying to be sensitive to the idea that I'm trying to appear to be something that I am not. So I just try to be me, some people think that's foolish, but I'm concerned about complete honesty in a first meet. Too much artificial can leave a bad impression for later.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do u dress up or dress down on a first meetup?