Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do u dress up or dress down on a first meetup?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Phil_an_derer
Msg: 40
Do u dress up or dress down on a first meetup?Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
It doesn't matter what I wear as I can feel them undressing me with their eyes!!!!!have a nice day!!!!!
 nubeginnings64
Msg: 41
Do u dress up or dress down on a first meetup?
Posted: 7/14/2012 6:07:56 AM
Casual as I normally wear, freshly showered, well groomed with cologne & my clothes are pressed. I expect the same in a woman, well groomed & in attire she'd typically wear.

Only one showed up dressed down. How rude. Maybe it's a "I'm sexy & I know it" (I work out) mentality. I sarcastically said "every man's dream" about her dirty sweats, no make-up & muffed hair.Wonder why she left?
 Tgav4367
Msg: 42
Posted: 7/14/2012 3:38:43 PM
I'm all for being yourself for a meet n greet. If your a jeans and tshirt kinda person why dress up to look different? Kinda like giving a false impression of who you really are.

Now a date, that's a bit different. Dress for the venue.
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 43
Posted: 7/14/2012 6:59:03 PM
I always dress nicely to honor the occasion and make a good first impression. Yesterday I had a first date going for a two-hour walk in 96-degree heat. I wore a short, breathable, flattering little dress, a sun hat and tennis shoes. I carried a small pack with: swimsuit, sunscreen, two protein bars, toilet paper, insect repellent and water.

He wowed me by bringing a pad for us to sit beside the river, instead of on sharp, uneven rocks. My swimsuit stayed dry. Washington State rivers are dangerous: icy cold, extremely fast, and swollen with unprecedented levels of water for this time of year, due to massive, sudden snow melt.
 raicor
Msg: 44
Posted: 7/14/2012 9:55:34 PM
business casual... roflmho. :) had some girl chastise me for showing up without a collared shirt. got up, thanked her for her time and left. showing up like a housing challenged person i wouldn't see as useful of course. well, might be kind of fun to see the reaction. ha ha. in reality, if there is a focus on how i dress then can you imagine the inane thought patterns and irrelevant "standards" forthcoming. blech.

stay frosty... you don't want to let one of those things get you.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 45
Posted: 7/14/2012 10:56:53 PM
Show up how you normally dress, not how you think they'd want you to. If they don't like the way you dress then they're not the person for you anyways. In the end it comes down to, "to thine own self be true". Don't try and be someone you're not, because you can only keep that up so long. Then the true you comes out and if they can't handle the true you, they'll be gone.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 46
Posted: 7/15/2012 6:30:44 AM
I dress pretty casual for a first meet being that they are usually held at a coffee shop or a pub. Jeans or a jean skirt with a nice top. If I accept a dinner invitation then I will dress accordingly.

A friend of mine said she went on a meet and the guy showed up wearing cut off jean shorts and crocks. Too funny. would have loved to see the incredulous look on her face. *Grins*

...mae
 JAXDiver
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2012 10:17:29 PM
*mae* wrote:
A friend of mine said she went on a meet and the guy showed up wearing cut off jean shorts and crocks. Too funny. would have loved to see the incredulous look on her face. *Grins*

In most beach camps in Florida, cut-off jeans and crocks is standard apparel. Cargo shorts and a Golf shirt is "dressed up".

Cheers!
JAX
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 48
Posted: 7/16/2012 10:26:13 PM

In most beach camps in Florida, cut-off jeans and crocks is standard apparel. Cargo shorts and a Golf shirt is "dressed up".

Oh oh....maybe I just offended a whole lot of people.

A little off topic but last summer when my doctor went on holidays the doctor that took over for him walked into the examination room and he was wearing a pair of clogs. I kinda did a double take.

...mae
 TryAgan
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2012 11:00:56 PM
I dress up but the level depends on the destination.
Obviously, I always shower and change my clothes and make an effort with my appearance.

If we went to opera, I would put on my dark suit. But since usually the meetings detoriate to a walk in the park, I wear jeans and long-sleeve cotton shirt. In early spring, I don a mosquito vest.

I definitely shower for the third date.
 Spence56
Msg: 50
Posted: 7/29/2012 10:17:12 AM
I just dress the norm for the day. I'm trying to be sensitive to the idea that I'm trying to appear to be something that I am not. So I just try to be me, some people think that's foolish, but I'm concerned about complete honesty in a first meet. Too much artificial can leave a bad impression for later.
 SSC-SAF
Msg: 51
Posted: 7/29/2012 10:47:31 AM
If it's after work, I have freshened up and I am wearing my work attire (business casual leaning to the dresser side). If it's a weekend, I dress for the venue. If I wear jeans, they are clean and not scraggly and I am still put together with my usual minimal make-up on (foundation, powder, mascara and lipstick). I wear eye shadow and liner only for really dressy events/evenings.

I may run to the store in a t shirt and very casual pants, but I never go out looking like a trash bag.
 afixerupper
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2012 10:58:44 AM
Being a person of very modest means, and very limited wardrobe, I go with what I got. If he doesn't like what I'm wearing, he sure as hell won't like what I didn't wear, lol. I am not a dresser upper. Used to be, but no more. The main pleasant surprise I could present when we met would be that I am about forty pounds or so less than my profile photo. Hopefully that would be seen as an unexpected positive, and help him to perhaps let the jury be out until he knew more.

I would wear better stuff if I could afford it, sure. As far as the guy, I would take heart and brains over style any day. He can come in whatever he wants to wear, as I will not be playing out an episode of "What Not to Wear" in my mind. Thats not what I want to know about someone. I want to know how they are, who they love, what drives them nuts, what they do for fun and if it meshes with my idea of fun. I want to know where they've been, where they are going, what they need help with in life. I want to know how open they are to love, loss and emotional risk. Everyone has past events that they are somewhat stalled on, have trouble moving past. I'd like to know about that too. Most have dreams they have not given up on. I want to know that. I don't care what country his clothes were made in, or if his sunglasses came from the 99 cent store. I want to know HIM. That's all. I just cross my fingers he wants to know the same stuff about me, not judge me by my not so snazzy clothes
 TeachingPro06
Msg: 53
Posted: 12/28/2012 10:32:25 AM
I personally like to dress for whatever the venue is. If it's just dinner and a movie, I'll go with a sports coat, nice jeans, and a crisp ironed shirt. It's a casual look, not to over the top, and can pretty much fit most dating nights out. Go with whatever you feel most comfortable in.
 Deadliest_Snatch
Msg: 54
Posted: 12/28/2012 4:02:25 PM
I always pull on a fresh pair of Depends before a first meet!
 siestabeachlover
Msg: 55
Posted: 12/28/2012 5:49:35 PM
Several narrow minded opinions here. A h0t body can wear anything and look good at any age.
As long as you are clean and stylish what's the problem. And if you live in Florida flip-flops are always acceptable.
And does a man truely want a women loaded with makeup? What happens when he sees the real thing?
 kjay41
Msg: 56
Posted: 12/28/2012 8:38:42 PM
I dress according to where we are meeting; But I will wear my best perfume :0)
 CaptainAmericaOO7
Msg: 57
Posted: 12/29/2012 5:57:02 AM
I vote for a first meet at a nudist colony. That way, no surprises for anybody gd&r
 natgoat227
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2012 12:37:13 PM
I ~Dress-Up~
There wouldn't be much hidden...if I Dressed ...
(From a pair of Lounging Shorts and a sweatshirt!)
I like to show that I have s o m e respect for the Lady...class and style!
 TuMuchFun
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2012 1:53:23 PM
A nice looking woman shows up in sweats, deal me in. I would much rather see someone in their dressed down, minimal primping I'm going to the market to shop casual state first, just smell nice is all.
 Love.Notes
Msg: 60
Posted: 12/29/2012 3:49:28 PM
I dress up every day of the week so going on a date would not change things for me. I think the gym outfits belong in a gym not a date. Unless you both plan on going hiking or something. Jeans? Well I don't own any but that's not to say you can't wear them. As for the makeup part, I personally love doing my hair and makeup daily. Other women look fabulous without any makeup.

I get a little bothered at times when I meet a guy and he comes in jeans and a t shirt as though he just threw himself together. If I have to wear the heels from hell why can't he get a nice pair of dress shoes on and take a the time to take care of himself. I feel the same way about a woman who doesn't shave her legs for months at a time than a date comes up and she starts shaving again.? Why not just keep with these things and not for him but for yourself .

It's their personality that really keeps you not her looks as there will be days when she just doesn't want to dress up and fuss over her hair and makeup! But that's not what we are talking about here. We are talking about dressing up for a date. First impressions. How we feel about them. To me it's important, and I like it when he does the same. Big turn on for me.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2012 11:39:22 PM
I agree, Love.Notes. Jeans are not "dressy" attire, and I cringe when I hear a man brag about not owning a pair of dress shoes or a shirt that has a collar.....
 CaptainAmericaOO7
Msg: 62
Posted: 12/30/2012 5:20:20 AM
Perfume would have me making a quick exit since I have allergies.
 TuMuchFun
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2012 8:37:44 AM
Perfume is kryptonite to Captain America? Say it ain't so.
 CaptainAmericaOO7
Msg: 64
Posted: 12/30/2012 12:27:27 PM
Yes. Unless I have had my antihistamines then perfume is kryptonite. I have been known to turn white as a sheet and develop a migraine just walking past a Yankee Candle store.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Do u dress up or dress down on a first meetup?