Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Grocery Store Dating.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 98
Grocery Store Dating.Page 8 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
For instance, a male coworker and I were chatting about the fact that he runs marathons, and he invited me out to jog with him.

Yeah, but that's someone you already knew on a platonic level. However him wanting to take a jog with you might perk some ears about possible intent, but hey, it could just be platonic, so it's much easier to take it on a platonic level because (unless there was sexual tension) it was already platonic between you two. Total difference than a guy coming up to you at a bar or grocery store. If it was a stranger guy approaching you in a public place, the intent couldn't be hidden. There's obviously interest by default to ask to go out with you, whether it's a taking-you-out-to-dinner, a bike ride, or stopping at a coffee shop to continue conversation.

I was suggesting a possibility to someone who wants to get to know a girl better without freaking her out with some date proposal at the grocery store.

But it IS a date! Not a formal date or a "date date", but it is a date in the general sense, because it has the exact same thing in common as a date-date: intent & interest. I understand comfort-level. That is important, and nobody likes a spotlight & expectations thrust on them. That's why it's common to ask for something non-romantic -- but that doesn't mean it's platonic at all... in order for it to be platonic, it's intent would have to be strictly platonic. Not role-playing platonic. But then again, asking an opp-sex stranger in a public place to hang out sometime, even something no-frills, is pretty obviously not platonic.

But what I was trying to make clear is that one shouldn't fool themselves. It's not "just friends". It's taking a casual approach, to avoid pressure & expectations. Big difference.

Something's only platonic unless it's okay to carry the whole situation through in every way, when you have a serious significant other. If I asked a girl who I talked with in the checkout isle, for her # and to hang out with me, while I had a girlfriend, I'd be the the bad guy. Why? It's not a platonic move. Even if it was for a non-romantic endeavor by itself (coffee, bike ride, or any daytime activity that friends do too).
 OutMind
Msg: 99
Grocery Store Dating.
Posted: 8/19/2012 8:36:09 AM

You know what I have always wanted to do? Use the grocery store as a date setting. Think about it. Everyone always asks what someone's favorite foods are, etc.. However, imagine if you took someone there and just spent time together walking the isles, reflecting on favorite foods, which then brought back memories from childhood which would then spin off into other topics of conversation...

Actually, this is a great type of date and I have done it plenty of times. What you do is invite them for dinner, so you either pick them up and go to a farmer's market or cool market or she comes to your place and then you both go there. It can be so much fun, but then you pick your menu, what you want to eat. Go home, then cook it. These are the type of dates that evolves not only into some incredible culinary experience, but also where the dessert is quite tasty.
 Debyduz_
Msg: 100
Grocery Store Dating.
Posted: 8/19/2012 8:44:54 AM
Thursday night after work lets out best time to meet guys. Although they shop in pairs. Weird. girls go to bathroom in pairs, guys food shop in pairs. I go my line ready. Are you boys buy one get one free?
 inkibaludo2
Msg: 101
Grocery Store Dating.
Posted: 4/12/2013 5:25:38 PM
Fate? WTF? Fate?! What planet are we on here? Hollywood? Okay, sorry, this is going to hurt, here's the truth: There are no magical imaginary forces at work. Winged babies with bow & arrows don't exist either.

Wow, seriously, she's let the "husband" word "slip-out"?! Can someone be that clueless? Uh...no. That's no slip. You weren't getting the hint so she basically had to bluntly tell you. You're lucky she didn't tell you to bleep-off.

When I'm grocery shopping and there's a hot woman with a cart, I tell myself, "hey, nice lookin' lady. She eats healthy. Nice...and she doing her groceries." That's it!

I buy my groceries, leave her alone and get on my merry way.

Trust me, if a woman wants you, it will be obvious.
 Elsadora
Msg: 102
Grocery Store Dating.
Posted: 4/12/2013 7:29:26 PM
The single worst date I ever had was a guy I met at the grocery store. Never again!
 GJBrown
Msg: 103
Grocery Store Dating.
Posted: 4/12/2013 7:51:27 PM
^^^^^^ oh brother!
don't blame the grocery store! thats like saying only losers and jerks buy food.
You don't know where your potiential soul mate will be
 Elsadora
Msg: 104
Grocery Store Dating.
Posted: 4/12/2013 8:34:00 PM
^^^^^^ oh brother!
"don't blame the grocery store! thats like saying only losers and jerks buy food.
You don't know where your potiential soul mate will be"

You are probably right, my perv-dar wasn't as fully developed as it is now.
 Quasimodo11543
Msg: 105
Grocery Store Dating.
Posted: 4/12/2013 9:15:12 PM
Finding dates in a grocery store is simple really. Hang out in the produce section, watch for the women who are admiring a very large cucumber just a little too much then, make your move. This technique could also apply to those in the meat section, fondling sausages.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 106
Grocery Store Dating.
Posted: 11/18/2013 10:37:45 AM

Trust me, if a woman wants you, it will be obvious.

I have to strongly disagree with that. Especially in places like a grocery store. It's not a setting to pick up chicks, or a place many women, when scoping the scenery with their eyes would want to be picked up by a guy who they find kinda cute. Most are not in the mode to pick up or to be picked up by the opp-sex in grocery stores.

There's also going to be limited opportunities to approach without coming off as creepy. The checkout isle, commonly, would be the only safe haven, IMO. Going up to a gal in the bread isle and trying to generate conversation out of nowhere, unless she was single while thinking you were gorgeous, would think you're probably trying to sell her something or pulling a dumba$$ pickup.
 GJBrown
Msg: 107
Grocery Store Dating.
Posted: 11/18/2013 7:11:55 PM
^^^
So I don't know her but I am attracted to her and I'm willing to take a chance to get her
therefore I'm Creepy! I can be polite, confident, and funny but still "stranger danger" I'm creepy.
 sddude
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Grocery Store Dating.
Posted: 12/10/2013 12:36:23 PM
A few weeks ago, I met a girl at a grocery store, I had a book on anthropology in my back pack, I bought some cans of dog food, and in front of the store, proceeded to put them in my pack, I took the book out and a sweet pretty 19 year old asked me about the book, she works in a makeup booth in front of the store, we had a long conversation and I sat with her behind her counter, we exchanged numbers, I thought that was that .
She texted me right away, and asked if if I can drop by the next day, so I did talked some more , made her laugh alot, She added me on her facebook and we chatted there alot too, we went out yesterday on a fun date, went to a circus and a beach bar in Mexico just across the border, she asked me to go to her house tomorrow for dinner with her family, she told me she already talked to her family about me. one thing that strikes me is that as you can see from my profile that i am waaay older than she is. She may see me as just a friend or not, knowing her is good anyhow. So much luck for this childless widower.
 Blueline294
Msg: 109
Grocery Store Dating.
Posted: 12/10/2013 1:39:48 PM
I had a young lady many years ago follow me throughout the store. She was an employee. She even followed me to the check out.

^^^^^
She was loss prevention.....:)
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Grocery Store Dating.