Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > Julian Assange - does he deserve our help      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 3ffervescent
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Julian Assange - does he deserve our helpPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Yes, but according to the news, they have the Embassy surrounded...

The pizza delivery guy was frisked within an inch of his life by the 3oo police that surr0und him.

I don't like his chances of leaving there in a hurry.
 SwanLake73
Msg: 27
Julian Assange - does he deserve our help
Posted: 8/16/2012 6:11:02 AM
hmm I might become a pizza delivery person....

yes I am a bit worried about how it is all turning. seems to be a bit sinister...
 lyingcheat
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2012 8:51:00 AM
Let the way Assange is being treated be a warning to those who seek to publish embarrassing diplomatic cables.
It's OK to shoot policewomen, it's OK to commit genocide, it's OK to misappropriate billions, to torture and subjugate, but don't be an anti-censorship publisher and try to avoid an extradition warrant whatever you do.

WPC Yvonne Joyce Fletcher (15 June 1958 – 17 April 1984) was a British police officer fatally shot during a protest outside the Libyan embassy at St. James's Square, London, in 1984.
Fletcher, who had been on duty and deployed to police the protest, died shortly afterwards at Westminster Hospital. Her death resulted in the Metropolitan Police Service laying siege to the Libyan embassy for the next eleven days, and the United Kingdom severing all diplomatic relations with Libya.

Protest
Fletcher, who had joined the Metropolitan Police Service in 1977, was part of a detachment of 30 officers sent to St. James's Square to monitor a demonstration by Libyan dissidents opposed to the rule of Colonel Muammar Gaddafi. Among the detachment with Fletcher was her fiancé.

Shooting
Without warning, automatic gunfire was discharged into the anti-Gaddafi protesters at 10:18 am. Eleven people were hit, including the unarmed Fletcher who was fatally wounded in the stomach. As she lay on the ground, her fiancé was at her side. Fletcher was taken to Westminster Hospital where she died from her injuries approximately one hour later.

The official inquest into Fletcher's death concluded she had been killed by shots from a Sterling submachine gun fired from the first floor of the Libyan embassy.

Siege
Following the shooting, the embassy was surrounded by armed police for eleven days, in one of the longest police sieges in London's history. Meanwhile, Gaddafi claimed that the embassy was under attack from British forces, and Libyan soldiers surrounded the United Kingdom's embassy in Tripoli in response.

The British government eventually resolved the incident by allowing the embassy staff to leave the embassy and then expelling them from the country.

The United Kingdom then ended all diplomatic relations with Libya.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Yvonne_Fletcher

Uganda's President, General Idi Amin, lunched with Britain's Queen Elizabeth in London today before meeting Foreign Secretary Sir Alec Douglas Home. The President, who came to power in a coup in January this year, asked Sir Alec--who is also the Commonwealth Secretary--for economic and military training aid. The strained relations between Uganda and neighbouring Tanzania were also discussed. Sir Alec, meanwhile, said he would consider General Amin's requests and agreed that there should be further contact between Britain and Uganda. General Amin, on a week-long private visit is due to have talks with other British ministers and officials before leaving for home over the weekend.
http://www.itnsource.com/en/specials/queens-jubilee/shotlist//RTV/1971/07/13/BGY508070250

Tony Blair says Libya's Muammar Gaddafi is willing to join Britain in the fight against terrorism.
After shaking hands with Colonel Gaddafi at the start of the historic talks (in 2004), the prime minister said there was real hope for a "new relationship".
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/3566545.stm
 robertaus
Msg: 29
Posted: 8/17/2012 12:41:44 AM
What a big can of worms.Will be interesting to see how it gets resolved.Assange did say he would go to Sweden to answer the allegations against him.However the Swedes would not guarantee his immunity from extradition to the US.I can smell a rat in all of this.
 gingerosity
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2012 1:17:57 AM
Most of us here are saying something is rotten in all of this... and that our government should do something but won't. I find it interesting that we are so dependent on our rulers that we don't even think of taking action ourselves.

Who reckons a boycott of UK/US/Swedish goods would hurt his chances of a fair go?
 3ffervescent
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2012 3:47:47 AM
Ummmmm,

We don't have an Ikea in Townsville, but Vegemite is now US owned...
What am I meant to put on my toast?

Does the UK import stuff that we use?
(seriously)

Perhaps, we should be spamming Julia's facebook page with the idea that she should be supporting him...
(her minion would be reading it, and possibly taking it back to her...)
 gingerosity
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 8/17/2012 4:04:44 AM

What am I meant to put on my toast?

The national spread of Ecuador of course! (llama paste?)

Does the UK import stuff that we use?

Yep, they export $4.8bn of medicaments, motor vehicles, silver and platinum, printed matter, and other stuff to us according to this: http://www.dfat.gov.au/geo/fs/uk.pdf
 Hilly02
Msg: 33
Posted: 8/17/2012 4:09:37 AM
They import Marmite which I will not put on my toast anymore if it helps....though Vegemite tastes like dirt, so im not sure what to use now?
 GuessWhat1964
Msg: 34
Posted: 8/17/2012 6:33:40 PM
What I find to be really disturbing is that Julian didn't make any of this stuff up. He didn't commission the act of retrieving the information. He just published it....as journalists and media that are not under control of certain religious and political groups should do. He is now a major criminal because he told the truth.

There is now credible evidence coming to light that 911 was predicted to the very day, but MOSSAD didn't warn anyone of it coming, as they needed a critical incident to inspire their puppet state of USA to wage war in the middle East. Ex Prime Minister Malcolm Fraser has called for an inquiry as to why the Howard Government already had troops on the way to Iraq before war was officially declared. He also states that correct protocols were not followed. Currently there are over 300 political opponents in Iraqi jails. There crime was to oppose the current US appointed political administration. Wow..what a democracy the US has installed.

"Some people will always hate us because we are free. They resent our freedom." (George W. Bush, 2001)
 aussieblues
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2012 1:16:43 AM
@3ffervescent...you're always good for a giggle..Thank-you once again..I enjoy your intelligent & sometimes irreverent contributions.
@ OP writer..Citizens of Australia are supported by our Government whilst overseas, based on entitlement; not upon a value system based on judgement. ("deserve")
At the present moment there is no legal reason for the intervention of our Government to 'rescue' this particular citizen who is residing overseas.
nb: I strongly suspect he has 'bigger' personal friends, than the Aussie government, who will happily assist him in his time of need.
 CavesBeach
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2012 4:53:13 AM

Citizens of Australia are supported by our Government whilst overseas, based on entitlement; not upon a value system based on judgement.

very true , as you can see I am very baised about this topic(staying up to see what he has to say tonite) I wrote this thread to get a feel of what others thought,
deserve and entitlement are completely different animals even though its still valid question as this is.."Commonwealth Bank's CEO Ralph Norris was entitled to $16.158 million in 2010, its his entitlement . does he deserve it..strongly doubt it
david hicks got no entitlement at all, our aussie govt did absolutely nothing..

based on judgement.

Julia Gillard, called the leaks "an illegal act" and suggesting that his Australian passport should be cancelled.
how is that for judgement, from a dirty back-stabbing lawyer/politician :D
Hundreds of lawyers, academics and journalists came forward in his support with the Attorney-General, Robert McClelland, unable to explain how Assange had broken Australian law..

At the present moment there is no legal reason for the intervention of our Government to 'rescue' this particular citizen who is residing overseas.

assange seems to think so, so does the president of equadore.

Foreign Minister Ricardo Patino, the notion that Australia had failed to stand up for Mr Assange was “just wrong”.

“Ecuador has noted that Mr Assange is without the due protection and help that he should receive from any state of which he is a citizen,” said Foreign Minister Ricardo Patino.
 robertaus
Msg: 37
Posted: 8/19/2012 8:28:04 PM

Emerson also repeated that there was little the Australian government could do for Assange, who is holed up in Ecuador's embassy in London in a bid to avoid extradition to Sweden, where he faces questions over sex assault claims.

"Remember that this issue about Mr Assange between the UK and Sweden is not in relation to WikiLeaks, it's in relation to allegations of something that he may or may not have done in Sweden itself and that's up to the legal authorities in those countries," Emerson said.

"The legal processes have been followed, and... there's no particular role for Australia beyond ensuring that Mr Assange has reasonable consular assistance and that's what we're offering."
-SBS

I think the above is pretty self-expanatory.
 CavesBeach
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 8/19/2012 10:01:28 PM

I think the above is pretty self-expanatory.

Only if you beleive what is written, I wonder if the aussie govt was super duper helpful why he didn't choose to hide out there in the Australian embassy...

A spokesman for Senator Carr says Mr Assange was offered consular assistance, but he thanked them and declined the offer.

Fairfax Media has obtained declassified diplomatic cables which obtained under freedom of information laws - show Australia's ambassador to the US, Kim Beazley, asked the US government for advance warning of any move to extradite Mr Assange.

Fairfax says the documents also reveal Australia has no objection to a potential extradition to the US.

The Gillard Government has confirmed its Washington embassy is preparing for the possibility of Mr Assange's extradition.

Trade Minister Craig Emerson says there is nothing unusual about this.

Opposition spokeswoman for foreign affairs Julie Bishop has accused Senator Carr of misleading parliament over what he knows about the United States' plans to extradite Mr Assange....

hubba hubba who can you trust.... if this went on in a South American country the govt would be labelled a dictatorship.
 qldblue
Msg: 39
Posted: 8/21/2012 1:17:43 AM
Should Assange be extradited to Sweden for the ALLEGED sexual assault? Yes

Should Assange be extradited to the USA from Sweden for his wikileaks adventures? No

When comments from diplomats of the USA were released, the said comments were derogartory to politicians of the USA's allies but were basically swept under the carpet and treated with the general attitude of these comments reflect in no way the actual feelings of the US government..............

WTF, do they mean by that.

It must be okay to demean your allies in so called safe despatches but don't let those comments be released for the general public to find out how much disdain the U.S. government has for their allies.

Will our government stand up and be counted, never
 CavesBeach
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 8/21/2012 6:57:39 AM

WTF, do they mean by that.

QLDblue I have no idea but it Cheeses me off to no end
I think it means alot poor barstarrds who gave up their families too be slaughtered, maimed in Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam and Korea & all the previous F*&ked'up conflicks would kick as$ and ask who is speaking for their sacrifice..
what sort of freedom and world have we made of it

freedom ..how many shades if gray is that sh!t
if you get sent too jail and tortured with out trail for a over a year, its ok , its national security..
we are protecting ourselves from terrorists who want to terrorise us by holding whistle blowers prisoner for no legal reason, or take over countries because of weapons of mass disappearance.

when governments send in their sons and daughters before their tounges it serves them selves..

makes me sick in guts

when i was little this was what China, Equadore, Iraq and all those other non free coutries did on the news.. now its australia, the USA and UK being taught by Equadore where the freedom bear sh!ts in the woods.

robertaus
Msg: 41
Posted: 8/21/2012 7:10:08 PM
Freedom of speech, sure i am all for it. Assange was irresponsible in leaking details of secret US missions that exposed their personnel to danger that they would not otherwise be exposed to. If my memory serves me correct do not Australians conduct secret missions in Afghanistan.How then would you react if some irresponsible journalist revealed details and this resulted in the death of Australian soldiers.

Only if you beleive what is written, I wonder if the aussie govt was super duper helpful why he didn't choose to hide out there in the Australian embassy...

Because Assange is on bail in Britain and the Australian authorities would have to hand him over.

hubba hubba who can you trust.... if this went on in a South American country the govt would be labelled a dictatorship

cuadorian President Rafael Correa, who has been in office since 2007, has been accused by international observers like the Committee To Protect Journalists of using defamation laws to shut down media outlets that disagree with him. In one case, he sued four journalists over “a February 2011 opinion column that suggested the president could be charged with crimes against humanity for his actions during a violent police uprising in 2010,” says the CPJ. The journalists were fined $40 million and sentenced to three years in prison each (though one had fled the country). Correa then pardoned them after having demonstrated his power. Delphine Halgand of Reporters Without Borders says that the journalists were not completely blameless in that case, that they "went too far." Nevertheless, she told me, Correa's reaction was "really too strong" and demonstrates an atmosphere hostile to journalism. So far in 2012, she says, 17 media outlets have been shut down by Correa’s government—most recently, an opposition radio station. “They don’t wait for the judicial system to work. They just confiscate the equipment,” she says.
......Washington Post

Correa has a contempt for the press in Ecuador.No freedom of speech there.Is that not a dictatorship?

hen i was little this was what China, Equadore, Iraq and all those other non free coutries did on the news.. now its australia, the USA and UK being taught by Equadore where the freedom bear sh!ts in the woods.

No freedom bear sh1tting in Ecuador.

Will our government stand up and be counted, never

Stand up and be counted for what?.The Australian Govt. can only offer consular assistance which they have and Assange refused.Fine for the Ecuador President to prattle on about Assange not being protected by his own country
He is on bail in Britain and is under an EAW which means our governement can't do a thing. So why can them?.Is just nonsensical to me.

In addition, if British authorities grant the Swedish request, Assange would be flown to a country that shares a significantly stricter extradition treaty with the United States. Swedish authorities said Tuesday that they would seriously weigh any request but noted that their treaty with the United States does not cover crimes that are political or military in nature.
........Washington Post.

Assange must know this.Why doesn't he just go there and face up to the allegations?.If he is innocent what's the issue.Where there is smoke there is fire i say.

think it means alot poor barstarrds who gave up their families too be slaughtered, maimed in Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam and Korea & all the previous F*&ked'up conflicks would kick as$ and ask who is speaking for their sacrifice..
what sort of freedom and world have we made of it

What about WW11. Go and read a history book and you will be enlightened to discover that if it was not for the Americans then you an i would not be able to enjoy the freedoms we enjoy today.Something about halting the Japanese push to Australia.

He appeared to hint at the option last week, when he threatened that “key parts” of secret US government cables would be released if anything happened to him or WikiLeaks

Now Assange thinks he can hold the US to ransom.In reality the Ecuador president is using Assange to gain support so he will get reelected.

qldblue
Msg: 42
Posted: 8/22/2012 1:41:06 AM
If one reads the history books then one should read all the history books pertaining to the halting of the Japanese in WW2.

Australian soldiers actually halted the Japanese advance in New Guinea before the assistance of any American land forces met the Japanese.

The North Vietnamese army held the idea that to beat the Americans then all they had to do was too over run the Australians at Long Tan then the Americans would be easy, history has proven that result.

The commanding officer of Battalion 445 of the NVA has stated that during the Vietnamese War the Australians were highly under rated and the NVA paid a heavy price for that line of thinking.

Yes, journalists must be held responsible for their actions and what they say but too use a law for an ulterior motive is morally corrupt in itself.

As I stated in my earlier post, Assange should face the allegations of committing a crime against women in Sweden but not then be extradited to the USA on this basis.

As it has been shown in the past, our own government will abandon our own citizens to curry favour with the americans.

History will also show that the americans entered WW1 in late 1917, towards the end of that war.

Whether I agree with what Assange has done via wikileaks or not he still is innocent until proven guilty and America is very choosy as to who they will prosecute and history shows us that.

Apart from Hicks, who was incarcerated by the US, there were also some British citizens who were also incarcerated by the Americans but were released at the request of the British Government.
 robertaus
Msg: 43
Posted: 8/22/2012 8:06:42 AM
Whether I agree with what Assange has done via wikileaks or not he still is innocent until proven guilty and America is very choosy as to who they will prosecute and history shows us that.

Proven guilty of what? The US hasn't charged him with anything.

History will also show that the americans entered WW1 in late 1917, towards the end of that war.

Not sure how this is relevant, however you are correct the US didn't enter WW1 until 1917. There was widespread opposition to America going to war in Europe within America.It was a very political issue.America still lost 500,000 men in WW1.

Apart from Hicks, who was incarcerated by the US, there were also some British citizens who were also incarcerated by the Americans but were released at the request of the British Government.

David Hicks was captured on the battlefield fighting Allied troops which guess what included Australians.I think he was a traitor and still should be in prison.If he got caught smuggling drugs into Indonesia he would still be in jail.He was aligned to the same terrorist organisation that was responsible for the Bali bombings.Yet the weasel can now write a book and profit from it.
The British Government are doing just a grand job.One of their citizens is still at Guantanomo after 10 years.
 CavesBeach
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2012 1:26:25 AM

Freedom of speech, sure i am all for it. Assange was irresponsible in leaking details of secret US missions that exposed their personnel to danger that they would not otherwise be exposed to. If my memory serves me correct do not Australians conduct secret missions in Afghanistan.How then would you react if some irresponsible journalist revealed details and this resulted in the death of Australian soldiers.

I'm really at aloss how publishing articles after the fact puts soldiers at risk.

"The only thing at risk here is the reputations of the politicians and bureaucrats that put these soldiers into harm's way -- and who put Iraqis into harm's way,"

The release also revealed that roughly 15,000 more Iraqi civilians died during the conflict than previously thought..
but you just go right ahead beleiving in what ever you want there chief.
a democracy is only a democracy if its citizens are informed teddy roosevelt said that..thanks tah

weapons of mass destruction, "page not found"

What about WW11. Go and read a history book and you will be enlightened to discover that if it was not for the Americans then you an i would not be able to enjoy the freedoms we enjoy today.Something about halting the Japanese push to Australia.

the history books I read seem to indicate that these couragious men and women died fighting for freedome and our way of life.
If our governments are just going to lock us away with out trails then we may have well just let the Japs invaded.
And you talk of books, have you read anything about hicks or Assange, my dear lord in make believe heavan

Now Assange thinks he can hold the US to ransom.In reality the Ecuador president is using Assange to gain support so he will get reelected.

possible, but you said he was a dictator,(msg 41) do you think dictators NEED to be elected ..

Proven guilty of what? The US hasn't charged him with anything.

there is a Grand Jury which is examining evidence for possible charges relating to "conspiracy to communicate or transmit national defence information" and obtaining "information protected from disclosure from national defence". Critically the subpoena contains the identifying codes "10" and "3793'.

"MICHAEL RATNER: There's a Grand Jury currently sitting in Alexandria Virginia and the Grand Jury's number - and it's interesting the Grand Jury's number is 10 standing for the year it began, GJ which is Grand Jury and then 3793. Three is the Conspiracy Statute in the United States. 793 is the Espionage Statute. So what they're investigating is 3793: conspiracy to commit espionage."

you might want to go and read this thread from the beginning champ !!

David Hicks was captured on the battlefield fighting Allied troops which guess what included Australians.I think he was a traitor and still should be in prison.

He was not caught on the battlefeild at all, your just making sh!t up now.
after you actually read his book you will find he was caught hiding out in an afghan village...dont forget to "quote citation needed" when you copy and paste from wiki.

What all sources agree on he was locked up with out trail, held and tortured (just like Bradley Manning) and was only allowed to leave after signing a gag order..
welcome to the new world - brought to you by people like you rob
 robertaus
Msg: 45
Posted: 8/23/2012 5:28:56 AM

possible, but you said he was a dictator,(msg 41) do you think dictators NEED to be elected ..

Said who was a dictator?

He was not caught on the battlefeild at all, your just making sh!t up now.
after you actually read his book you will find he was caught hiding out in an afghan village...dont forget to "quote citation needed" when you copy and paste from wiki.

At what point have I pasted from Wiki?

MICHAEL RATNER: There's a Grand Jury currently sitting in Alexandria Virginia and the Grand Jury's number - and it's interesting the Grand Jury's number is 10 standing for the year it began, GJ which is Grand Jury and then 3793. Three is the Conspiracy Statute in the United States. 793 is the Espionage Statute. So what they're investigating is 3793: conspiracy to commit espionage."

^^^^This sounds like a Wiki quote to me.
If you think Hicks is some sort of martyr then that is your opinion.My opinion is he is a weasel who should still be in prison.
 CavesBeach
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2012 7:22:40 PM

Said who was a dictator?

I realise why you are confused,
from your quote in your message (41), the middle part rob, where you copied and pasted a snippet from the washington post (slate.com)- claiming the president from Equadore is a dictator......
rob 41

Is that not a dictatorship?

then at the very end of your own message you say he is only helping Assange to be re-elected..

Ecuador president is using Assange to gain support so he will get reelected.

Dictators aren't really known for holding elections ...

rob 45

If you think Hicks is some sort of martyr then that is your opinion.My opinion is he is a weasel who should still be in prison.

your incorrect its not a wiki quote, but a quote none the less , that why I used quotation marks..
I dont think Hicks is a martyr, he is an idiot with a sense of adventure. I was just pointing out that if you read his book you will hear his side of the story, he has a complete different version of events you are posting.
Just like bradley manning Hick's didn't get a trail or a chance to tell his story..

I would only be too happy if you like to lend you Hicks'ies book, "dick smith" said it should be compulsory reading for every australian student, and I agree.

My opinion is he is a weasel who should still be in prison.

clearly you dont believe in fair trails or trails at all!!, just lock em up aye !!
as long as governments of the day think they are right, good enuf..
 CavesBeach
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2012 7:23:48 PM

Said who was a dictator?

I realise why you are confused, I was also
from your quote in your message (41), the middle part rob, where you copied and pasted a snippet from the washington post (slate.com)- claiming the president from Equadore is a dictator......

rob 41

then at the very end of your own message you say he is only helping Assange to be re-elected..

rob 41

rob 45

your incorrect its not a wiki quote, but a quote none the less , that why I used quotation marks..
I dont think Hicks is a martyr, he is an idiot with a sense of adventure. I was just pointing out that if you read his book you will hear his side of the story, he has a complete different version of events you are posting.
Just like bradley manning Hick's didn't get a trail or a chance to tell his story..

I would only be too happy if you like to lend you Hicks'ies book, "dick smith" said it should be compulsory reading for every australian student, and I agree.

clearly you dont believe in fair trails or trails at all!!, just lock em up aye !!
 CavesBeach
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2012 7:26:26 PM

Said who was a dictator?

rob 41

rob 41

rob 45

I dont think Hicks is a martyr, he is an idiot with a sense of adventure. I was just pointing out that if you "actually" read his book you will hear his side of the story, he has a completely different version of events you are posting.
Just like bradley manning Hick's didn't get a trail or a chance to tell anybody about his story..
the UN believe manning to be undergoing torture.. liberty I tell ya

CavesBeach
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2012 7:26:46 PM

Said who was a dictator?

rob 41

rob 41

rob 45

I dont think Hicks is a martyr, he is an idiot with a sense of adventure. I was just pointing out that if you "actually" read his book you will hear his side of the story, he has a completely different version of events you are posting.

Just like bradley manning Hick's didn't get a trail or a chance to tell anybody about his story..

CavesBeach
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2012 7:28:03 PM

Said who was a dictator?

rob 41

rob 41

rob 45

I dont think Hicks is a martyr, he is an idiot with a sense of adventure. I was just pointing out that if you "actually" read his book you will hear his side of the story, a story of involving heaps of torture.
he has a completely different version of events you are posting.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > Julian Assange - does he deserve our help