Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ChancesRMD
Msg: 29
Texting all the time, at our age?Page 2 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

oh i am not answering him.....he just sent me a..."well"? hehehe

and hear he is....wow I won this one...so few!

As he types away on his keyboard to a dating site forum.

You sure showed him! Oh the irony.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 30
Texting all the time, at our age?
Posted: 7/13/2012 3:42:22 PM
I rarely text. I tell people that and if they think that I will answer every text that they send me--or even read them--they are wrong.

In fact, I have to laugh -- the guy I dated who was REALLY into texting (sent me over 2500 texts in the course of 2 months!) broke up with me via text! How juvenile is that?

Gotcha one better! My sister's niece by marriage was dumped by her husband of ten years (two kids) via a text. He texted her and said that he didn't love her anymore and wanted her to move out ASAP. Even more ironic, she is young enough to be his daughter (she is in her mid-30s, he is in his 50s)! Who was the immature idiot in this relationship? Age is no indicator of maturity.
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2012 10:11:53 PM
happy dude 63 related:
I have my 17 yr old son who lives with me, and like it or not cell phones and texting is the way to communicate..

Man O man, I can so relate. Son, also 17, is on his constantly. We're out working in the field and he has that thing out every few minutes or so. Got him out of thinking I'm one of his text buddies this past year, I think - could have been last, when he sent a text indicating that he needed me to do something or deliver something - oh, maybe lunch. I received the text sometime that evening or the next day, well past the time it was necessary and we had a brief, one sided, conversation where I explained that we have a land line and this other box is a digital answering machine. If you want me to know you've called this is how you do so.
I should say I am with the other poster in that while I do have a cell phone it is for my use, not someone else's. I use tracfone, it dies what I need and the cost is between $100 - $200 / year. I take it walking and away from the house, but I am not on it 24/7. Geez Louise, if I wanted and umbilicus I would have stayed in the womb.

TK
 meowkatt2012
Msg: 33
Posted: 7/14/2012 1:07:34 AM
Im in the process of breaking up w a guy right now. That's actually one of the reasons. Even Important & serious conversations are text. I've mentioned it more than once but he doesn't when even answer. We text all night & I've asked him to just call to say goodnight. He did once. I did twice once went to voice mail. We were texting
unites before. The other night while texting but going to bed soon I asked if he could stop & call to say good night. He ignored me. I've told him I like to here his voice ' he's said the same the few times we talked. When texting goodnight its all full of kisses & stuff like that which now have no meaning to me. In person he's pretty shy but texting isn't gonna help that. Im sick oh
F it. Younger guys I used to see in their 30's. Call to ask me out.
 Phil_an_derer
Msg: 34
Posted: 7/14/2012 5:21:08 AM
I'm not that important! I have a phone....call me and I will get to your message sooner or later....^^^^^ha ha are you kidding me " what do you have to talk about when you meet up " oh boy....
 justlookingvt
Msg: 35
Posted: 7/14/2012 5:31:05 AM
I find texting downright offensive. If the person has no time to call or, the subject of the text doesn't deserve a call then, it doesn't deserve my time to read it. I ignore text messages, just as if they had not happened.

Those that tell me, "hey, I sent you a text saying blah blah blah", I inform them of the above and let them know that if they want my attention, they can send an email or call, otherwise, they are wasting their time. Since people know that's how I deal with it, I only receive texts from a few clueless who I proceed to clue in. I haven't gotten a text message in months. If my date doesn't get the point the first time, there simply won't be a second time.

I think texting should be against the law across the board. Many car accidents where people died were a result of an idiot texting while driving. An enormous amount of productivity is lost due to texting. Ridiculous errors are made as a result of texting. Ideally, the feature should be removed altogether from cell phones.

Did I mention I don't care for texting ?
 Walts
Msg: 36
Posted: 7/14/2012 5:51:03 AM

I suppose if someone calls you on your home phone at 3am it's the phones fault? Don't fault the technology for the person who doesn't use good judgement.

Bang on. I don't continuously text to a person. Quick replies,that's it. "I'm boarding the plane", "I've landed","I'll be there in 10". Shiat like that. If I really wanted to talk to ya, I would. But,more than likely I don't, so I won't. I really don't see the need for "constant" contact from anyone. And I do mean anyone.

I think texting should be against the law across the board. Many car accidents where people died were a result of an idiot texting while driving. An enormous amount of productivity is lost due to texting. Ridiculous errors are made as a result of texting. Ideally, the feature should be removed altogether from cell phones.

Against the "law"????? Really????? How about we just make a simple across the board "law" against stupidity????? Wouldn't that be much easier?????
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 37
Posted: 7/14/2012 7:01:57 AM
An enormous amount of productivity is lost due to texting.
agreed- at my last job, the 2 young girls (major slackers) spent half their damn day sneakily texting...I do not know how they got any work done, the rest of us older gals were swamped & rumor was they got hired for a good amount of $$. After myself & another middle aged lady left, they lost half their clientele. Gee, I wonder why!

As far as phone # fear, if u r doing dating online & even IRL, buy a cheap disposable trac phone cash, & use that for dating only. It's what serial killers use, why not take a note from their page & use it to be untraceable but for a good reason!
 justlookingvt
Msg: 38
Posted: 7/14/2012 10:26:16 AM

Against the "law"????? Really????? How about we just make a simple across the board "law" against stupidity????? Wouldn't that be much easier?????

Yes, really!!!

Stupid people are driving and texting, running over pedestrians in crosswalks and, causing fatal collisions on freeways that result in the loss of life of responsible people. Talking on the phone while driving has already been made illegal in some places. Texting is much worse than just talking.

Making texting illegal is a law against a specific display of stupidity, just like drinking and driving is another instance of a law against a specific kind of stupidity.
 Sierrasman
Msg: 39
Posted: 7/14/2012 10:47:28 AM
I don't even have a cell phone. I think they're great tools, but too many people are addicted to them and let them control their lives. I'm really tired of everywhere I go, people either have a phone to their ear, are checking to see if they have any messages, or texting. And I think it's pretty rude to force people around you to listen in on your conversation with someone else. I've seen people on TV at basketball games in the stands playing with their cell phones. They pay a hefty price to have seats close to the court, but can't put their phones away long enough to watch the game. If I ever get a cell phone, which I probably will one day, you'll never catch me punching those little keys.
 raicor
Msg: 41
Posted: 7/14/2012 10:07:22 PM
this has absolutely not anything to do with gender. dated a couple of girls and they were exactly as the men you dated. personally i am from the face to face generation and not the facebook. so, i do not understand a female, in my age range, who attempts to converse with me via texting. well, okay, i understand that they are either adhd, fragile x, or in some other way challenged at depth of conversation. i think, everytime the texts start coming "this is your life. and it's ending one text at a time." paraphrase of fight club, but seems appropriate. texting has it's place. and it's place for me is completely outside of anything intricate or intimate.

"put the weapon down and kick it over here. you are only going to cause yourself more problems." :)
 Plenty_of_FreeTime
Msg: 42
Posted: 7/15/2012 9:25:25 AM
I think texting is great and should have no age barrier!
It can be quick and to the point,it's also a good reminder as to what time I'm picking someone up for dinner or when and where me and the guys have a tee time,for example.
Another thing is,I have kind of a gravelly speaking voice (good singing voice though),and I've been told it's a little hard to understand me on the phone at times,especially if I'm in a rush...tend to talk too fast.
So for me,my Droid with the QWERTY board makes for a perfect form of communication,not very personable,but does have it's good points.....and NO I don't text while driving!
 Happy Dude 63
Msg: 43
Posted: 7/15/2012 9:49:03 AM
A friend of mine recently bought a new BIG dump truck for his business. While I was over visiting with him, he had to get a load of something and asked me If I wanted drive it. I said no, but he convinced me to go for a ride with him....
we are driving down the road talking and such..nice truck..busy road. I look over and he has both his forearms on the big steering wheel using them to steer the truck, while he is texting!! I also notice we are almost right on the center white line. (2 lane road). I tell him,"geez that seems dangerous"..he laughs and says he does it all the time...
scary...I got home and re-warned my kids about bad truck drivers and to stay away from trucks!!!!

texting has its merits, I think it is morphing into a totally new direction of communication. And it already has happened.
Evolution???
 AlfredoDP
Msg: 44
Posted: 7/15/2012 10:24:21 AM
I am getting there.

Me, lost:
" I do not know where I am".
Her:
"I am right behind you".

Very useful.
But yes, prefer phone.
 stu_underwood
Msg: 45
Posted: 7/15/2012 3:03:27 PM

Texting all the time, AT OUR AGE?

Yes, we all must follow the rules as outlined in the Age Appropriate Behavior Handbook for those 45 & Older. Chapter 152, para 275, pg 1169;

You Are Not Allowed To:
a. use your cell phone for texting
b. own a sports car
c. ride a motorcycle
d. date someone because they have a smoking hot body
e. weigh the same/less than you did in high school
f. enjoy lounging on the sofa
g. have cosmetic surgery or breast augmentation
h. look younger than your age
i. tell anyone you act younger than your age, that is absolutely NEVER allowed.
j.
k.
l.
WTH!? Rolls eyes……….

A. Do it all the time, 3 kids and an ex. It allows me to answer at my convenience. Of course talking is better but not always an option.
B. I have a red one with a big V8 (and no I' m not compensating)
C. Own two actually
D. Any chance I get
E. Trying but I doubt it will happen
F. Nothing like it after a twelve hour shift at work, but I don't live there
G. I'm a guy, it's not really our thing
H. Again trying but not happening
I. Since I'm doing most of the above, too late

Boy, I'm amazed at the replies to this. It sounds like my parents in here. @cowboy had a fairly good answer but I'm still more liberal that that. It's a tool. It's all in how you use it. I have a good friend I text with all the time because we can't talk due to schedules and work etc. We still talk when we can but without text we'd grow apart, it keeps us connected. I just have trouble with the narrow mindedness that I see in the answers here, I guess I am acting younger than I am.
 ninjaeleven
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2012 8:16:16 PM
Our age? I can do anything a 35 year old can do still. I will not limit myself by age until I can no longer keep up.
 SpeedracerSmith
Msg: 48
Posted: 7/17/2012 8:54:36 PM
What's the big deal? What has age got to do with it?>
 just_a_zippo
Msg: 49
Posted: 7/18/2012 10:12:19 AM
I don't see the big deal either, I text all the time.

people complain it's not communicating, yet send messages to strangers here?

why not randomly approach strangers and ask out 5-10 a day then in the real world?

of course I'd prefer a voice, a laugh or a kiss instead of letters, lol's and x's and o's. But life doesn't always allow for such.

personally the latter is better then NADDA
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 50
Posted: 7/18/2012 10:32:12 AM

I think texting is fine when used occasionally. A little "hi, whatcha doin" text in the middle of the day, or a "thinking of u" note late at night, is sweet. At least I have appreciated those kind of texts in the past.

I agree. It's nice to recieve a little "thinking of you" text before bed. I went out for drinks with a fellow a couple of days ago and later that night he sent, " I was thinking about you and wondering....Can we do this again?
I thought it was sweet. :)

...mae
 c_deacon
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2012 10:39:30 AM
I just prefer to roll over and whisper that in your ear!!....;)

OT.......I am of the opinion that texting is a learned behavior, and can be broken, just like smoking can, with the right support! My texting has been and will continue to be....a tool to use and not an obsession!!

cd
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 52
Posted: 7/18/2012 11:14:01 AM

I just prefer to roll over and whisper that in your ear!!....;)

Aw....You're sharp as a tack this morning...hehe

My texting has been and will continue to be....a tool to use and not an obsession!!

Good point

.....mae
 Sand Dunes
Msg: 53
Posted: 7/19/2012 9:37:34 AM
Texting is so universal in many given situations. It can be a fun medium. A playful medium. Nothing will make your day like getting a text of whats "gunna go down" tonight after work. Or what was favored the night before. Puts a smile on your face for the rest of the afternoon. Yes, even at OUR age.
 Venus9015
Msg: 54
Posted: 7/19/2012 8:53:24 PM
Texting seems to be so cold. I met someone that agreed with me about texting yet he continues to text only. I would love to meet a man that enjoys talking rather than texting.
 firefly416
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2012 5:50:05 PM
This is a very interesting thread. I'm almost 20 years older than 45 and have only been txting for about 2 years, since I got my smart phone. While I only usually use it for very short messages, there have been several people (all men) with whom I've had long conversations using txt. These have always been with people I do know and often it does turn into a phone call. I only have a cell phone, have more txts than minutes. I no longer really enjoy talking on the phone much like I did when I was younger. I'm on the computer a lot and it's easier for me to dash off a quick txt than to get on the phone and have a difficult time getting off the phone. The same goes for if I'm watching tv. I wouldn't want to interrupt a show I really like to talk on the phone but sending a quick txt is easy. I only recently changed from a very small number of txts per month to 1000 after a much younger man (but over 50) caused me to go over my limit late one night. I never txt while driving and only briefly talk on the phone, always using a blue tooth headset. I admit I have used txting for silly frivolous things such as asking the guy at the next table to dance with me. He's a year older than me and also hates talking on the phone. And yes, going to a singles dance apparently makes everyone mentally 12.

Recently a man I was messaging on another dating site wanted to talk to me on the phone. While I didn't really want to, I agreed to call him at 9 p.m one night (the time my minutes become free). I'd say 15 minutes was long enough to know I didn't want to meet him but we continued to talk for 2 hours. The first time his Magic Jack dropped the call, I did answer when he called back. The second time it happened, I did not answer. The next day I sent him a message to tell him after talking for 2 hours I no longer was interested in meeting him.

My last boyfriend was 14 years younger than me and while he didn't txt at all, he hated to talk on the phone and frequently sent me short emails from the phone. He did call and come over to break up with me in person.
 vancitygurl78
Msg: 56
Posted: 7/22/2012 4:00:18 PM
Ok I've met a guy off here but haven't met in person yet and all we do is TEXT! I mean i'm 34 and he's 36 and he's admitted to liking to texting. Our whole conversations is via text. I mean everything. We barely talk on the phone..in fact it's been a month now that we've talked on the phone!

I'm kinda finding it annoying on top of him prolonging our date nite. I mean seriously, y are guys waiting to meet girls? Why spend so long texting ppl rather than meeting them?
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >