Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 northwoods57
Msg: 57
Texting all the time, at our age?Page 3 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
texting all the time? its cheaper.
texting is like the old days of writing a letter, only faster.
you still need face contact, to seal the deal.
it makes you look cool, and trendy (same thing, different words)
 juicyfruit21
Msg: 59
Texting all the time, at our age?
Posted: 7/22/2012 8:58:29 PM
It takes too much time to type all the stuff that I wanna say if I am in a real depth conversation. It's easier for me to just talk and say what I have to say. I don't need to spell it out.

And besides that...some texts can be taken the wrong way...some people "read into" texts. I prefer to hear a voice as you can tell mood, sincerity, interest, anger, happiness, etc.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 60
Posted: 7/22/2012 9:44:43 PM

In fact, I have to laugh -- the guy I dated who was REALLY into texting (sent me over 2500 texts in the course of 2 months!) broke up with me via text! How juvenile is that?/quote]
Well? I dunno. I have "broken up" via text before. On both ends. Seems to have taken a LOT of the "why"s and "how come"s out of the issue. I speak on the phone alllllllllllllllllllllll day long. I've learned to LOVE texting. My son started me with this and honestly? Bless his heart for doing so. My clients know if I'm busy with someone else, I'll drop a text and check in if no answer their questions/concerns in a matter of minutes, versus some 20 minute phone call that equates to a few lines of text. As for personal use? I'd much rather text. I have Saturdays free for calls, but sometimes? I don't want to waste my only day free talking on the phone, therefore? Text works well for me. If I can communicate via text, it's likely I can do so in person just as effortlessly. If there is an issue in text? There's likely going to be one is the offline/off-tech world. JMO
 gtr1025
Msg: 61
Posted: 7/22/2012 9:56:47 PM
I still refuse to activate texting or the internet on my phone. Call if you want to talk....that is why it is called a phone!
 justlookingvt
Msg: 62
Posted: 7/23/2012 1:25:29 PM

I'm going to text less and talk more.

Good decision ;-)
 AlfredoDP
Msg: 63
Posted: 7/23/2012 2:12:51 PM
It is becoming handy.
"Thank you for the nice evening".

Do not have to listen to crying and explain why not meeting anymore.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2012 4:38:04 PM
Texting ...thus far I've survived without it.

A couple months back we were accepting students as summer interns. Desirable positions leading to future positions when they graduate...and usually help with tuition, etc. We sent off a few questions about items on resumes, etc. Kid you not, some applicants texted in replies....BEEP...disqualified.

I lived without ever using a phone the first 19 years of my life. I have a cell phone but may use it for a call every other day. Most of the time it is turned off. Nothing against people who like to be tied to others 24/7 but just not my thing.
 HiHeelsLover
Msg: 65
Posted: 7/23/2012 4:57:31 PM
I am guilty I like texting. I talk on the phone all day and would rather text than talk afterwards.
 SpeedracerSmith
Msg: 66
Posted: 7/23/2012 6:14:12 PM
Thank you ScottishHouston. The LAST thing I want to do after being on the phone all day at work is to talk.
 scottbridge
Msg: 68
Posted: 7/23/2012 7:33:10 PM
I think it boils down to the effort one puts into communicating.. When I read a text from someone who uses U as opposed to typing YOU, how much effort do I think was put into the message... Not much. But recieving a simple text can be a reminder that someone is thinking about me, and that can be difficult to communicate with words..
 houston_smart_lady
Msg: 69
Posted: 7/23/2012 9:52:44 PM
I text all day. I prefer it to phone calls. I can multi-task with texting much easier than phone calls.

Breaking up by text is declasse'.
 107jk
Msg: 70
Posted: 7/29/2012 6:05:39 AM
Finally!!! Some one who thinks like I do.... I hate the texting. I am here to meet someone and do life with. I don't want to waste my time texting and never meet. And for me its a RED FLAG with the texting. Either they are married or in a relationship or seeking and hoping to turn the conversation in to a sex texting. I totally hate it!! Meet, talk, see if there is a connection and move on from there. Also I am a computer at work all day!! this is the last thing I want to do is be on a phone texting. Again I am on this site to meet someone face to face. And hopefully make a connection and start doing life with a special someone outside of my apt and away from the computer and phone.

I have also found this site with the guys and I am sure the women too. Are just here to hook up and have sex. I am sooo tired of it. I love sex, but I am not going to bed with everyone. Geeeezzzz. Its getting really old and frustrated to meet someone who I am attractive to and have common interest and vise verse. Sometimes I just want to give up. But I really would like to find someone. When I think about removing my profile and giving up. I see someone I want to try to connect with. I wait and no answer or they contact me and the darn texting happens and then I have to stop it. Or we do meet and all he wants to do with in meeting me in 30 mins is having sex!! Geeezzz.. Frustrated.
 phoenix_55
Msg: 71
Posted: 7/29/2012 6:22:35 AM
I dislike texting unless it's just a quick answer. Probably because I'm soooo slow at texting. I find about 75% of the men I've met won't communicate in any way except texting. Several men have wanted to meet me, and I like to have a quick phone conversation before meeting in person -- just to break the ice -- and they won't even do that!
 purplepalooza
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2012 4:05:55 AM
Absolutely LOVED Cowboy's response! Loved, even MORE, his examples of appropriate text messages...sighs...I miss receiving those kind of text messages!! :)
 Jenneee
Msg: 73
Posted: 8/25/2012 4:45:54 AM
I don't get texting either. Worse, "sexting." Maybe I am a dinosaur, but I worry about the literacy of the next generation.
 abgordon
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2012 4:08:51 AM
They must think differently than the men in Missouri. I am a very straight forward person and always tell the men that I despise texting from the get go, to no avail. It irritates me more though that I go along with it....
 abgordon
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2012 4:11:18 AM
I do not know what I did wrong HA My last post was supposed to be in response to Anywherbuthere {For guys? I know absolutely no guys that will try to have a conversation via text...none.}
 cooldog65
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2012 8:28:19 AM
Texting is the equivalent of passing notes back and forth in class.

Texting is short for text messaging. We're talking message, not conversation. Any questions?
 entersandancer
Msg: 77
Posted: 9/1/2012 4:40:25 PM
Everyone has their preferences and sometimes there are darn good practical reasons behind those preferences. I prefer texting and am not a "phone person". This is not a character defect, I just have many reasons, some practical, some just preference.
Most men in our age group want to talk on the phone immediately if not sooner. I am just getting started on the site so I think it's important that both parties be flexible and accomodate other's needs and requests as much as possible.

That said, the first guy that looked interesting that said "let's talk" flaked when I called him at the agreed upon time. Got his machine! Lovely!
HELLO- that is one reason why I'm not a "phone" person- the dreaded time wasting phone tag!
Needless to say that is just downright rude and he's off the list.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2012 7:26:14 PM
Texting is a form of communication, like email, "snail mail", and voice conversations. We should control how we use technology, and not let it control us.
 MsMicki
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2012 12:05:54 PM

I can multi-task with texting much easier than phone calls.

I've seen this said a few times, and it makes absolutely no sense to me!!
I have to put down what ever I am working on to text.....yet can put my phone on "speaker" while talking and continue to do what I'm doing!!

I have friends that live by texting......drives me nuts!
I get a text......I answer.......they text back.....I call them!!
If you require more than a yes or no answer, and then have follow up questions......frikken call me!
 onewayoranuther
Msg: 80
Posted: 9/30/2012 2:41:06 PM

For guys? I know absolutely no guys that will try to have a conversation via text...none.

I do, and plenty of fisherman do here on POF. I won't indulge them and they won't indulge me because of it. I am told.."here is my number..text me so we can talk." WTF! Really?..talking is not words on a microscopic screen. There is no voice inflection and words are often misinterpreted for emotions you were not having.

I am amazed at the men who refuse to talk...and even meet.
 stayinalivefl
Msg: 81
Posted: 10/1/2012 12:49:03 PM
Just wait until the dildo app comes out
 crazeerunner
Msg: 82
Posted: 11/4/2012 7:29:10 PM
I'm 44, and I prefer to text. I really dont like talking on the phone......not that I would text something of importance, but for casual conversation, I find it easier to just whip out a text
 VolcanoKing
Msg: 83
Posted: 11/4/2012 10:21:44 PM
Never had a break up via text but guys addicted to texting/celphones over 45? Of course! No one is immune.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >