Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jezz_a_belle
Msg: 91
Texting all the time, at our age?Page 5 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
the title of this thread says it all. It conflates age with superior knowledge and texting with inadequate communication skills.Lordy!

Changes in technology do not always harken the apocalypse.

My take on texting (for what it is worth) is that is an appropriate form of communication - being relatively new, societal norms and etiquette about texting are still rather undefined.

Personally, at any "age" I hope to be able to adopt, adjust and use any new tech that becomes available (if I choose). I really don't understand the need to fuss about texting and use texting habits as a basis to judge someones character.
 AJ2517
Msg: 92
Texting all the time, at our age?
Posted: 11/11/2012 1:52:32 PM
texting is for short messages only, not trying to explain or communicate much.....people that use text only lose touch with reality...talk on the phone or in person...yes, the texting comes in handy for certain things but it can never replace one on one phone talking or face to face talking...so much can be mis interpreted if it is much more then a simple "hi" or "thinking of you" or "see you later" etc
 prettypuffer
Msg: 93
Posted: 11/11/2012 2:05:40 PM
I understand the more cowardly way really of breaking up by text but I prefer voice calls and wont go along with all that texting, it is a pain and impersonal. I am of the older generation and I find it all tedious and robotic. SMS means short message service right? If a guy cant or wont talk live, I am not interested.
 prettypuffer
Msg: 94
I am sorry your relationship ended with a text.
Posted: 11/11/2012 2:07:12 PM
Women may take days to respond as they have others on the string perhaps. It is not true that all guys respond immediately by the way. Depends on how interested they are, both sexes. Charm and wit are there whatever the medium and it is amazing the different attitudes to texting I am finding.
 cooldog65
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2012 2:50:36 PM
You're joking right? Damn, where are those laughing emoticons when you need one.

For all those who said they prefer texting instead of talking on the phone...what did you do before texting was developed?

In my opinion, technology has contributed to more disconnection than connection.
 AsianPiscesLady
Msg: 96
Posted: 11/14/2012 7:18:39 PM
I'm 47 and text all the time. I wouldn't want to date a man who didn't text. It's communication in the 21st century.

He doesn't have to text me to tell me about how he just took a dump, (though a few men have done just that) but he should check in with me on occassion.
 tallbrowneyedlady
Msg: 97
Posted: 12/26/2012 1:30:56 PM
I agree. I receive lots of texts from guys, who, even if they have my phone number, won"t call me. I want to have a real live conversation, but it's like asking for the moon. The last man I dated proposed to me via text, even though we were standing within arm's lenght at the time. I was stunned. I said yes although later on I broke up with him, primarily because he refused to effectively communicate with me. I don"t know what the answer is.
 TeachingPro06
Msg: 98
Posted: 12/28/2012 10:20:39 AM
Call me 'old fashioned', but I still think call and talking to a woman is the best way to go. Texting can seem somewhat impersonal when starting a relationship.
 nubeginnings64
Msg: 99
Posted: 12/30/2012 2:00:31 PM
I'm with you that all this texting is juvenile. Both my sister & my brother gave me grief for NOT answering my phone recently. Told them my phone didn't ring & both said in unison they sent a text.
 HookahGurl
Msg: 100
Posted: 1/23/2013 7:07:26 PM
My last dating experience was with a frequent texter. I told him several times that I'd prefer a phone call. He was eight years my junior and either he just didn't get it or just wasn't into me. So glad that nightmare is over, and yes, he ended it with a text message saying he "had been dating someone else just like your typical guy."
 baldyank58
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Posted: 1/23/2013 7:18:46 PM
I live in Norman, OK where the Univ of Oklahoma is located and when I go for my 2 hour walks, part of my route goes through campus. I would say easily 2/3's of the students I see are texting or at least occupied with their iPhones. It's kinda funny seeing them walking along head down, hunched over looking like zombies. I'm almost amazed I haven't seen any of them collide with each other.
 RAFlady
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2013 3:25:23 AM
I am so with you on this one.
Texts are fine..up to a point. ie say Hello, confirmation of meeting etc. However when it becomes ping pong text that is when I get frustrated. Emotions enter into it, pleople misunderstand and take things the wrong way. At one point I left my mobile at work for the weekend...hard inititally but I survived
Yup may be an age thing. People hide behind them too, dump you etc. Calling someone up to say sorry I am not interested may cost a few pence, but nothing in manners.
 RAFlady
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2013 3:26:24 AM
I am so with you on this one.
Texts are fine..up to a point. ie say Hello, confirmation of meeting etc. However when it becomes ping pong text that is when I get frustrated. Emotions enter into it, pleople misunderstand and take things the wrong way. At one point I left my mobile at work for the weekend...hard inititally but I survived
Yup may be an age thing. People hide behind them too, dump you etc. Calling someone up to say sorry I am not interested may cost a few pence, but nothing in manners.
 dessertcook1
Msg: 104
Posted: 1/24/2013 3:40:20 AM
Texting is good for short conversations. ANyone who does not want to get on the phone has a problem. Espcilly if its long term or very serious. If its more then soemthing like ill be there soon or im done work call me, then the person is not interested and should move on
 RAFlady
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2013 3:48:37 AM
Thanks, I had a great converssation with a bloke last week. Well texting I should say..but it was very deep etc and we challenged each other. He called me out of the blue and we chatted more. (do not know why I am boring you with this story) Anyhow had good chat on a Friday. Saturday nothing. Get text saying he is wrong for me. Just because he worked for a rather well known financial institution and had money (which did put me OFF) he said he was genuine etc. So intelligent I get dumped by text, before meeting from supposely erudite bloke. eek
 HelenBackAgain
Msg: 106
Posted: 1/24/2013 4:27:49 AM
I'm in the camp that thinks texting can be a useful tool, but is not, and should not be attempted, as a substitute for voice conversation. I think when people try to use it that way they are keeping you at a distance (effectively) - and missing out on the warmth and nuance of voice contact, themselves.

Then there's just the practical aspect too, that as compared to voice, trying to have an actual conversation by text takes forever. I have great voice recognition software on my phone which possesses an excellent degree of accuracy; it's much faster than typing. But still a lot slower than talking voice-to-voice.
 Jcmchef
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2013 5:41:34 AM
I thnk it intersting to see english chng & wndr if it will chng the way we spell
 Lucky...13
Msg: 108
Posted: 1/24/2013 10:00:01 AM
Q : What's the difference between a chronic texter and E.T.?
A : E.T. phoned home.
 AvailableinIndy
Msg: 109
Posted: 1/25/2013 12:29:23 PM
I don't even have texing. I get made fun of all the time.."oh my god, how can you survive?"

If you have something to tell me, take the time to call me.
 zzumbagirl
Msg: 110
Posted: 1/26/2013 7:44:26 AM
I had the exact same experience. It was ridiculous, except he said
his reception was bad at work, but still he only text from home,
for 2 months. Even after going out, just texting. I finally told him
I wanted to talk in person. Believe me, these kind of guys are
So insecure, it is pointless. We had allot in common and got along perfect. He txted also to me one eve that he had to "take
a step back". I thought, From what? His fingers must have been getting exhausted! Really immature...
 waitingforyoutoo
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2013 3:11:33 AM
I prefer the old 1 on 1 telephone conversation. Funny thing is every woman so far has wanted me to get a cell phone so they could text me. I have a droid charger and it is still where it belongs...in the box. I happen to find it very rude and insulting to be around someone when all they do is text on the phone. Even when I am talking and you can hear them texting at the same time.
Cell phones are like computers and lead to children getting into things that they should not be getting into.
The only reason I had one when they first came out was because my job sent me to places without a phone and some far away from houses and the other reason was for emergency only. Talk to me by phone or not at all.
 russell5417
Msg: 112
Posted: 1/27/2013 4:04:59 AM
Cell phones are great, but too many people view them as toys. :(
 sunsunsun4
Msg: 113
Posted: 1/29/2013 6:31:23 AM
Straight from my profile: "A relationship with a younger man might be hot. Particularly if you understand women over 5 don't want babies, are pretty much obligated to wear undergarments, and don't text."

Nuff said.
 DontAskMe2CarryUrPurse
Msg: 114
Posted: 1/29/2013 5:24:29 PM
My texting is off, I just don't tell anyone that it is off! LOL!
 TuMuchFun
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2013 7:32:27 AM

Straight from my profile: "A relationship with a younger man might be hot. Particularly if you understand women over 5 don't want babies, are pretty much obligated to wear undergarments, and don't text."

That's really not "straight" from your profile now is it?
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >