Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Maleman999
Msg: 62
Religion and datingPage 3 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Why would god give an exclusive to only one group of people and ignore thousand upon thousands of others.

I always wondered about that too, when people think attending their specific church with their specific religion is the only way to get to heaven, and everybody else will be punished by being sent to Hell or purgatory, even if they follow a different religion in a different church or other house of worship. They never question why God is punishing people who have a different view on religious beliefs, but would allow mass murderers and other horrible people in heaven, as long as they are believers in their specific religion.
 sunrisesam
Msg: 63
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/16/2014 9:42:30 AM

They never question why God is punishing people who have a different view on religious beliefs.

Their leaders tell them " don't worry, WE are right and everyone else is wrong "
 basilisk123
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/16/2014 9:42:41 AM
Religion doesn't really matter to me on a dating level. I am more concerned about tolerance. As long as she has tolerance for other points of view, I really couldn't care less who or what she prays to or even prays at all. If she tries to convert me though, it becomes an instant turn off and a deal breaker.

My friend took me to that big mega church in downtown houston that that creepy olstean guy runs (this was back when I was pursuing her). They were preaching that even if you did good works your entire life, you were still going to hell if you didn't accept jesus. At that point my eyes glazed over and didnt pay attention to anything else they had to say. We had an argument on the way back obviously because I thought the sermon was quite ridiculous and insulting. She never brought up religion again. From that day forward we had an understanding that we will never be able to change eachother's view so there was no point in even discussing religion to eachother.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 65
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/16/2014 11:19:42 AM
Religion has never been an issue for me.
Not in here and not in real life.
I can go months and months without even
discussing religion.

I couldn't be with someone who was very religious
or very unreligious (or spiritual) and had to talk about it all the
time. I'm more of the...you do your thing and I'll do
mine, we'll respect each others beliefs.

My only deal breaker (besides radicals either way) are
people who have a permanent stance on two issues I'll
not be swayed from. I can't get past that, because I can't
understand where they're coming from at all...and I find
most of these people will bring religion into their reasoning.

I see this as my personal issue, I don't force it on others
or try to change their mind, I just say we're not compatible.
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 66
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/16/2014 11:22:22 AM

They were preaching that even if you did good works your entire life, you were still going to hell if you didn't accept jesus.

And there's some passage on the bible that in the history of humanity, only a finite number of people will be allowed to make it to the pearly gates. So from our current and last century only two people may be allowed there Mother Teresa and Gandhi. Wait Gandhi was not Christian. Okay, then Martin Luther King, he's Christian, but wait, he also cheated on his wife multiple times. Hmmm. I got it.

Topo Giggio.

That's it.
 Maleman999
Msg: 67
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/16/2014 12:46:32 PM

Okay, then Martin Luther King, he's Christian, but wait, he also cheated on his wife multiple times. Hmmm. I got it.

Maybe Martin Luther King was thinking of converting to Islam, and was practicing for the afterlife-where Islamic men in good standing get 72 virgin women when they get to heaven.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 68
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/16/2014 2:42:12 PM
BedgerWaves- The only thing as polarizing as religion is politics.
I think it's wise to question it, but I would also suggest that you go on at least ONE date and see what happens.
I would mention it without being confrontational, something along the lines of "I see that you chose Christian as your religion, I am an ______(fill in the black, atheist in your case)," and just see how they react.
You HAVE to choose something. I chose non religious, spiritual but not religious is not an option, but that's what I am.
Some people will pick the religion they grew up in without actually practicing the religion, they just feel the need to pick SOMETHING.
Even if she IS a christian, that doesn't mean she's close minded.
I've met people of all types that are inflexible in their beliefs, those types are not for me no matter what religion they do or do not believe in.
You won't know which way it will go unless you give it a chance, so go ahead with the date.
It's too hard finding someone online (or IRL) without eliminating someone even before a meet.
Remember, it's not real until you meet :)
 sunrisesam
Msg: 69
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/16/2014 2:47:16 PM
And there's some passage on the bible that in the history of humanity, only a finite number of people will be allowed to make it to the pearly gates

So , the universe is infinite but Heaven has limited seating capacity ?
 CarefreeBeauty
Msg: 70
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/16/2014 3:44:53 PM
Yup, and ya gotta have a ticket<
 Maleman999
Msg: 71
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/16/2014 4:55:24 PM

So , the universe is infinite but Heaven has limited seating capacity ?

So by that reasoning, does Hell have a limited seating capacity as well? Where does the overflow go from both places? You wouldn't want to create a fire hazard in Hell from over-crowding.
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 72
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/16/2014 10:26:07 PM
If it's not religion, it will be one of a hundred things that could "destroy chemistry." (hey, having kids does that too)

I'm a Jew-turned-atheist and I seem to find myself with Catholics or people from Christian families. Big deal. As long as the person *I* am with is not hardcore, and does not see me as a project or "something to repair" I'm fine with it.
 basilisk123
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/17/2014 11:12:17 AM
"Big deal. As long as the person *I* am with is not hardcore, and does not see me as a project or "something to repair" I'm fine with it."-VolkanoKing

This statement right here. Well said.
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 74
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/17/2014 12:04:58 PM
The mere mention of "god" makes me cringe, I can't date religious people unless their nomination is just reflective of a baptism and they are not practicing anything about it, not even going to church.

Growing up, I was shipped away every Sunday in a van to go to Church (my family is a mix of Catholic and Anglican/Evangelist in later years). At the age of 4, I said "no more, no more, I cannot take it anymore, I just like the music and playing the pandora but I don't like it when they start talking, get me out please" as per my mom's memory. They tried again by offering me a first communion with dress and party and the whole 9 a few years later when all the kids my age where seen in white and off to do the ceremony, I said "no mom, don't ask again". She said I wouldn't be able to to marry in a church if I didn't do the first communion, and I said "so? going to church on Sundays to memorize and then regurgitate weeks later or sleeping in on Sundays and watching cartoons? not a hard decision mom, not hard at all. What is god anyways?", she never asked again.

My mom tried really hard despite her not being religious at all, and I've always resented being woken up early for bullsh*t that never made sense to me. For this and many other "following" tendencies of the masses of people, I cannot stand religion or any mention of it anywhere in life or in a profile. I simply can't do it.

I once dating this guy who had so many limitations that it just made me feel jailed. If family came over, he couldn't leave, he ate at the table with his fam every Sunday and it was macaroni, etc, I couldn't deal with it. This over guy asked what is my favorite holiday and I said "none, I don't celebrate holidays, it's just another day in the calendar", he said "you're crazy", and that was the end of that. He said he was Italian and that celebrating holidays with the family was a big deal and if I couldn't enjoy that, we're not compatible. I said "not compatible? I was just answering the question you asked me, I never said I was interested in dating you", he blocked me.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 75
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/19/2014 1:55:08 PM
BelleVintage- I'm right there with you.
I grew up Southern Baptist, my grandfather was a deacon. Sundays consisted of up at 8am, Sunday school at 10, service at 11, back home around 12:30 to 1 (depending on IF the sermon was over in the hour it was SUPPOSED to last). Back at church at 5 for choir practice, evening service 6-7 and finally back home again 8:30 -9pm. THEN there was teen classes on Tuesdays (Act teens) and Wednesday evening service from 6-7.
I wasn't given a choice about going.
For a while, I just followed along and then I got old enough to start observing and questioning things.
It didn't take long for me to realize that there were a LOT of people in church who acted COMPLETELY different outside of church.
Once I got to be 18 and couldn't have it shoved down my throat, it wasn't too long I went less and less and eventually quit going completely.
I am a FIRM believer that talk is cheap and actions speak.
You can TALK about religion and church all day long, but ALL that matters is how you treat others and how you live your life.
THAT is how I live my life and what I've taught my children.
Needless to say, any mention of "GOD rules my life" or something along those lines is enough to send me in the other direction.
People are free to do as they choose, I fully support people's right to believe what they believe, but NO one is going to get me back in church and I don't respond well to efforts to "save" me. (don't even get me started on THAT one)
 basilisk123
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/19/2014 6:48:33 PM
@Vintage,

Some people just use holidays as an excuse to party with the family. In some cultures, it is quite a big deal, even if they are an atheist, they still gotta go. Because it is for family. Think of the holidays as just a name, but celebrate life with the ones you care about most. That is thr way I think about it as. Even if its christmas, or thanksgiving or easter, I still celebrate it with my family. Not because I believe, but because its one of the few times of the year we all gather in one place. That and food, lots and lots of glorious food. Did I mention food?
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 77
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/20/2014 8:28:27 AM
@Bamagirl,

I am a FIRM believer that talk is cheap and actions speak.
You can TALK about religion and church all day long, but ALL that matters is how you treat others and how you live your life.

Exactly how I feel.

I totally understand the whole repetitive schedule, it's exhausting and often times meaningless when you don't carry such beliefs within you. I don't think religion is something you can absorb by osmosis, it's something you have to feel a need for.

To me, it always seems like projection, like people gave up control of their lives by projecting that there is a higher power in control, who makes decisions for them. Kinda like the government but moral-wise. Either way, failing to take responsibility for their actions by claiming all happens by the grace of something/someone else.

@Basilisk,
I'm part Italian and I understand the whole feasting and celebrating bit, but in my family, we get together and eat because we are all off on those days, not because it's a holiday per se. We celebrate that we're off and able to reunite, not celebrate the holiday.

About food.....I totally understand man, I love to eat, and I love choices.
 Maleman999
Msg: 78
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/20/2014 10:02:06 AM

I don't think religion is something you can absorb by osmosis, it's something you have to feel a need for.

Totally agree, which is why I don't understand the religious groups like the Jehovah's Witnesses and a few others that go door-to-door, trying to convert people. How many people do you know who were converted to a specific religion because someone showed up at their door one day and told them they needed to be saved, and the person who had no religious beliefs or belonged to a different church said: "You're absolutely right. Your religion is the only way that I will get to heaven when I die."

but in my family, we get together and eat because we are all off on those days, not because it's a holiday per se. We celebrate that we're off and able to reunite, not celebrate the holiday.

The idea that there is suppose to be a separation of church and state is a lot of phony bologna. Out of all of the holidays that people get off (in most cases), how many are religious based? If people get a paid holiday off, which is mandated by the government, why is it only for Christian holidays? There are immigrants from all over the world, as well as native Indians, who have a different set of days that are considered holy days. So why aren't their religious holy days deemed worthy of a government mandated holiday where businesses are made to shut down for those days and everybody gets a paid day off? The standard argument against that is people say they can celebrate those days on their own and arrange to get the time off work via taking vacation or leave without pay. But try using that argument by saying people who want to get time off at Christmas, Easter, or Thanksgiving should be willing to do the same thing.
 basilisk123
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/20/2014 10:17:33 AM
Thats right! I want a paid holiday for every religious, national, cultural, and ethnic holiday in existence! Yeah! It is all about equality!
...I also want to sleep in...
 Maleman999
Msg: 80
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/20/2014 10:34:30 AM
And don't get me started on the logic of why the Easter Bunny, painted eggs, Santa Claus and his crew of slaves and animals, pine trees (which is not native to any Middle East countries), and gift giving for no real reason on a specific day is considered religious.
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 81
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/20/2014 10:46:31 AM

And don't get me started on the logic of why the Easter Bunny, painted eggs, Santa Claus and his crew of slaves and animals, pine trees (which is not native to any Middle East countries), and gift giving for no real reason on a specific day [considered religious.

You and I mister, are at eye level on that
 bamagrl68
Msg: 82
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/20/2014 11:21:14 AM
maleman999- Because once upon a time someone really shrewd said "wait a minute, we can make MONEY from this" ;)
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 83
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/22/2014 2:52:52 PM

And don't get me started on the logic of why the Easter Bunny, painted eggs, Santa Claus and his crew of slaves and animals, pine trees (which is not native to any Middle East countries), and gift giving for no real reason on a specific day is considered religious.

Don't you get it. These are the gods of capitalism.
 Maleman999
Msg: 84
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/23/2014 5:43:39 AM
Do you mean Christmas and Easter have become commercialized and people are making money from it? Who would've ever guessed it would happen. That leads to a question of why religious leaders aren't publicly condemning the commercialized aspect of Christmas instead of celebrating strictly the religious part. I'm sure there are people who don't even know that Christmas or Easter has anything to do with religion, but celebrate it anyways-the sheep following the herd mentality. Even atheists and people who are followers of non-Christian religions celebrate Christmas.
 basilisk123
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/23/2014 6:02:46 AM
@Maleman999
Don't be bitter bro.
I am agnostic. I am the only one in my family who is agnostic or atheist. I still celebrate the holidays because of the reasons I said before. I love seeing my family and partying with them and I love eating good food. I am not a sheep for celebrating. I know holidays have become commercialized shells of what they were meant to be. It doesn't matter to me. I want to party with family and I want food! Everything else is secondary. The holidays just presents a theme to it all. Don't hate on us agnostics/athiests who still celebrate just for celebrations sake.
 Olympian2121
Msg: 87
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/23/2014 10:48:34 AM
Religion is far too outdated for todays world.
People are smarter today and we don't need "god" to explain why the sky is blue.
I hear "I don't believe in god or religion but I respect other people's beliefs..."
I cant say the same.

people use religion for comfort, people use it to control others, and people use it to justify how they act. it seems like a good way to avoid being responsible for your actions.

Why is it that so many people believe in god, yet if someone murders their whole family and when questioned about it say "god told me to" no one believes that person and they lock them up? it's because really, deep down, you all know theres no such thing.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >