Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 arwen52
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Religion and datingPage 4 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
You might meet her and see. I've known mixed couples, but I"d proceed with caution.

I"m pretty much done with "Christian" men. My experience is that the more they emphasize it, the bigger the liar they are. Last one turned out to be a minister in a very conservative denomination and I found out a whole lot of what he said to me and others was nothing but a pack of lies. I don't trust "Christian" men any more. Godless atheists are a lot more honest.
 pureandsimple4172
Msg: 89
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/23/2014 12:24:17 PM
...Just as long as ever7body is happy, what's the harm. Yay!!..

The society here in America is in such wonderful shape, the decline in Church attendance has been a good thing.
Illegitimacy rates are down...divorce rates are down...drug use is down...drop-out rates are down..crime is down...marriage rates are through the roof... Things couldn't be better.
Less religion!! That will improve things even more so.
 rockin-trucker82
Msg: 90
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/23/2014 6:46:59 PM

And don't get me started on the logic of why the Easter Bunny, painted eggs, Santa Claus and his crew of slaves and animals, pine trees (which is not native to any Middle East countries), and gift giving for no real reason on a specific day is considered religious.

But decorating the pine tree is a pagan religious tradition. Around that same exact time of the year, they'd cut down a pine tree, put it in their house, and decorate it as a god/goddess. The Easter Bunny and painted eggs, those are tough, because there ARE old religious traditions of painting eggs, and assuming that we're all right that Easter is the celebration of Eostre, then the Easter Bunny is based on the fact that the hare was her symbol. Then that also makes the eggs more profound because of them being a common symbol of fertility and birth/rebirth (Eostre was the goddess of spring, fertility, and rebirth), but coloring eggs has been a very common middle eastern tradition that's practiced year-round. So these two MIGHT have a religious meaning behind them. The tree definitely has a religious meaning.

You're right about Santa and gift giving, though.
 pureandsimple4172
Msg: 91
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/23/2014 7:05:25 PM
Once you accept the fact you are going to die, you have to decide what you want to believe in.
 Maleman999
Msg: 92
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/23/2014 7:13:47 PM
I'm waiting for someone to file a law suit against Santa Claus for not being an equal opportunity employer, since he does not employ anyone from a minority group, women, or the disabled. It's about time to have elves from different minority groups as well as female elves, or the disabled given the chance at elf openings.
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/23/2014 11:04:26 PM

Once you accept the fact you are going to die, you have to decide what you want to believe in.

i believe i'll stay dead no matter what, kaput, bupkis, lights out, gone for good, so there's no toxic ideology that can tempt me with its fantasy payoff.
 sandytm
Msg: 94
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/27/2014 2:13:03 PM
I'm a Christian, previously married 13y to a man who was an atheist. We were both respectful of the other's beliefs. Many would say that a true Christian wouldn't have married an atheist in the first place.
 _shakti_
Msg: 95
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/29/2014 9:12:54 AM

I"m pretty much done with "Christian" men.
Amen sister.

It's my own fault, but nowadays when I hear any of the usual jargon.. it hits my gag reflex, fast.

I have an aversion to stepping into someone else's intellectual box in order to make them feel comfortable or further a relationship that really has no hope of longevity anyway. So yeah, I see the label Christian and I pretty much know there's no point.

But then this one cuts both ways for me, because some Christian men and some non religious men have a problem with my spirituality.
 Maleman999
Msg: 96
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/29/2014 10:27:01 AM
Many would say that a true Christian wouldn't have married an atheist in the first place.

Even a Christian marrying another Christian can be a problem. If a Catholic person marries a non-Catholjc, the Catholic church expects that the non-Catholic to convert to Catholicism, and follow their policies and rules, and vice versa for other religions. Every Christian denomination think they are the one and only true religion that gets people on the commuter train to heaven when they die, and all of the other are fakes. I guess some people would consider it even worse if a Christian person marries someone who is religious, but worships a non-Christian God, such as Muslims, Buddhists, etc. would.
 sandytm
Msg: 97
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/29/2014 11:34:51 AM

If a Catholic person marries a non-Catholic, the Catholic church expects that the non-Catholic to convert to Catholicism, and follow their policies and rules

Interestingly, my dad (Muslim) married my mom (Catholic) in the Catholic church in the 70's. Both sides of the family were very kind about it and today, neither parent is Muslim/Catholic.
 pureandsimple4172
Msg: 98
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/29/2014 11:53:47 AM
Yes, he's very wrong on his conversion remark.
He's wrong on most everything he says about Christianity.
He probably should seek his Catholic education in places besides yahoo news.

I have noticed that everytime there is anything written about Christianity, you feel compelled to make some bitter comment. Why is that?? Is somebody knocking at your door every Sunday morning trying to bring you to Church with them?? Are you being forced into giving 10% of your income to the local Baptist Chruch?? Are you being forced to pay a 10% non-Christian tax??
Maybe you are just scared of being wrong and this is your way of justifying who you are...
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/29/2014 3:54:20 PM

I have noticed that everytime there is anything written about Christianity, you feel compelled to make some bitter comment.

to whom are you speaking?
 Blackwood85
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/29/2014 5:31:20 PM

Do you mean Christmas and Easter have become commercialized and people are making money from it? Who would've ever guessed it would happen. That leads to a question of why religious leaders aren't publicly condemning the commercialized aspect of Christmas instead of celebrating strictly the religious part. I'm sure there are people who don't even know that Christmas or Easter has anything to do with religion, but celebrate it anyways-the sheep following the herd mentality. Even atheists and people who are followers of non-Christian religions celebrate Christmas.

Except a lot of religious leaders do condemn the commercial aspects of Christmas and Easter. Even though Christmas isn't Jesus' birthday, he was more than likely born in September nor did he die and resurrect on Easter weekend. The bible even states with Jesus' own description of events that both things are unlikely. But guess what most religious leaders themselves are businessmen and a lot of Christians including myself aren't great Christians. I haven't been to worship service in months since Easter Sunday (which doesn't get celebrated at my church for reasons stated above) I'm a non-Denominational Christian so I'm already disliked by most denominations nor am I overly religious. I believe in God because I choose to believe just like people choose not to believe.

I just ask that people are respectful, I can date Atheist but I don't want to have religious debates with her because she chooses to be preachy about her beliefs. Which is ironic considering she's an Atheist but I know quite a few Atheists who can't just shut the **** up and let people enjoy the show.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 101
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/30/2014 11:07:33 AM

I just ask that people are respectful, I can date Atheist but I don't want to have religious debates with her because she chooses to be preachy about her beliefs. Which is ironic considering she's an Atheist but I know quite a few Atheists who can't just shut the **** up and let people enjoy the show.

I've found just the opposite.
I've never had an atheist or agnostic bring up religion or want to have a religious debate.
I've never had an atheist or agnostic knock on my door or try to hand me literature while I'm out and about.
It's usually a Christian that starts talking about something and then gets offended by a debate.

As far as holidays, I enjoy all of them and look at them as a day off...as do most of my friends.
I frankly think all religions should enjoy their holidays off...seems like it's only Christian holidays
that are days worthy of commercial exploitation.

It's always the Christians that get pissy when you say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas.
I work in retail p/t and I always say Happy Holidays...not everyone celebrates Christmas.

It's also interesting to me that POF has certain words it insists on capitalizing...hahahahahaha!
 pureandsimple4172
Msg: 102
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/30/2014 1:01:49 PM
Everytime I go shopping in December, the stores employees all seem to be Ministers, Priests, and Deacons.
They aren't taking care of their Church,they are peddling merchandise at the local shopping mall.
Those darn Christians!! They are exploiting us again and shoving their religion down our throats.
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/30/2014 4:53:59 PM

I know quite a few Atheists who can't just shut the **** up and let people enjoy the show.

yeah, doncha just hate those people all righteous about their beliefs? or worse, the ones who try to get you to buy in.
 JoeBnD
Msg: 104
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/30/2014 8:29:18 PM
I consider myself a misotheist, but I respect others' beliefs. At my buddy's home during the holidays, I bow my head during grace (and they know not to ask me to be the one to say it). Still, I have been told many times by others that they will pray for me or tell me to find strength in God, yet not once have I told anyone that I will try to kick God's ass for them.
 petula1908
Msg: 105
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/30/2014 11:02:01 PM
christ on a crutch

I am not religious, dont get me wrong but you are in for a hell or should I say, a heaven of a surprise when you pass over!!! Get ready!!! lol
 pureandsimple4172
Msg: 106
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/31/2014 5:53:55 AM
The one lady who works in retail mentions the Christians are the ones who get huffy & puffy about everything.
Anytime any religion is mentioned anywhere, the atheist come out of the woodwork.
It's not the Christians who are coming out and getting huffy and puffy, it's the atheists.
Just read this thread.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 107
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/31/2014 7:01:24 AM

The one lady who works in retail mentions the Christians are the ones who get huffy & puffy about everything.
Anytime any religion is mentioned anywhere, the atheist come out of the woodwork.
It's not the Christians who are coming out and getting huffy and puffy, it's the atheists.
Just read this thread.

My point exactly.
Atheists don't bring it up...Christians bring up religion (or someone else's lack of it) and then get all huffy & puffy
when anyone else says anything that doesn't agree with their beliefs. If you don't want to hear statements
that aren't in agreement with your beliefs...don't bring it up in conversation.

When was the last time an atheist banged on your door or stood on a street corner handing out litter trying to
convince you their way was the right way?

Yeah...I didn't think so.
 Cycling99
Msg: 108
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/31/2014 10:00:51 AM
It's a date. The whole point is to get to know each other. Take a breather, go on the date, both enjoy urselves, and if the topic comes up, then be honest. UR not marrying the person, yet or at all. It's a date. It's meant to be fun and relaxing! Do that: have fun and relax!
 Ainen
Msg: 109
Religion and dating
Posted: 10/31/2014 2:33:50 PM
So I have a date this coming Sunday, she happens to be a Christian and I'm an atheist.
When we first started talking I didn’t even notice the religion, a few days later it actually took me by surprise seeing it on the profile. The more I think about this the more of an issue it seems to be becoming for me.
What would you do? I'm now in two mind about actually going ahead with the date.

I don't mind if an online profile has a religion in their religion field, but if they mention it in their profile text, interests, headline, etc, I'll hit the back button. Often I don't even have to open their profile because they mention "God", "Jesus", "Christian" in the first 200 or so characters that show in searches with text, or their screen name or headline flaunts it.

The other site I'm on has a section "the 6 things I couldn't live without". If they include "God", "Jesus", "Bible", or "Church", I hit the back button. That site also has a bunch of questions involving religion. I live in the Bible belt and quite a few profiles believe in creationism! My answers to the religion questions are highly irreverent; if anyone reads those and isn't offended, that's a good sign we'll get along.

Just having the religion field and not saying anything else might mean they were raised under that religion but aren't fanatical about it.

I avoid people with the all too common Christian attitude of "if you accept Christ, you're forgiven for all past, present and future sins, guaranteed to go to Heaven no matter what". It's a ridiculous way to rationalize bad behavior: claiming a zombie rose from the dead and took the fall for all human sins for all time. Denominations have variations, for example Baptists dunk you in water and all your past sins are supposedly forgiven, and Catholics go to confession and are told to say some Hail Marys or give money to the parish.

Another type to avoid is the insufferable "Only God can judge", "We are all sinners", "Judge lest ye be judged" hypocrite who happens to be judging by saying those things.

I get along with some self-hating Jews, but don't put up with anyone who claims they're "G-d's chosen people" and that I'm their servant.

Political fools claim the current US President is Muslim and wants to make the USA Islamic. No more drunk drivers, no more parasites getting into debt with interest and having taxpayers bail them out, no more yucky pork "steaks" and pulled pork, etc. Sounds good to me; I'll drink to that!

Many Western "Buddhists" are insufferable, probably having little in common with real Buddhists.

Almost no Hindustani on dating sites in my region, as the ones in the USA tend to have pre-arranged marriages.

One of my saved advanced searches on this site is on non-religious.
 Blackwood85
Msg: 110
view profile
History
Religion and dating
Posted: 11/1/2014 2:24:25 PM

I've found just the opposite.
I've never had an atheist or agnostic bring up religion or want to have a religious debate.
I've never had an atheist or agnostic knock on my door or try to hand me literature while I'm out and about.
It's usually a Christian that starts talking about something and then gets offended by a debate.

As far as holidays, I enjoy all of them and look at them as a day off...as do most of my friends.
I frankly think all religions should enjoy their holidays off...seems like it's only Christian holidays
that are days worthy of commercial exploitation.

It's always the Christians that get pissy when you say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas.
I work in retail p/t and I always say Happy Holidays...not everyone celebrates Christmas.

It's also interesting to me that POF has certain words it insists on capitalizing...hahahahahaha!

As a Christian I'll admit that certain Christians can be pushy, I'm annoyed at Latter Day Saints and Jehovah Witnesses who knock on my door on a Saturday morning at 8 AM. I've gotten them both to stop by inviting them to my Church and handing out "Church of Christ" pamphlets, that's not something they want to hear so they stop coming.

It mostly consists online but there are plenty of Atheists who are disrespectful to other religions.

I was siting in class one time and the teacher asked a student which theory they ultimately believed in. The guy stated he believed in Evolution and not the "Poof" theory. He was taking shots at Christians who believe in Creationism, he then went on to take more shots at religion as a whole. I rolled my eyes because there was no need for it, it was a simple question that just needed to be answered.

There was another person I know who stated "Thank God they made it back safe" and all of a sudden I hear someone in the background say "Yea thank something that doesn't exist." luckily no one heard him.

There are people who complain about fighters and athletes who pray or point to the sky referencing God and Christ. Because how dare they believe in something when really it's none of their damn business if people are Christians or not. We're not talking about Westboro Baptists hateful mother****ers, we're talking about normal people who want to praise God and thank him. They're not preaching they're simply stating "I wanna thank God" for this or that.

It's a two way street and it seems like Christianity is the only religion that gets the hate, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism and to an extent Islam doesn't get the same criticism and hatred Christianity gets from Atheists. The respect goes both ways and people can't have it all. Let people believe in what they want to believe in, my Dad just got baptized into the 7 day Adventists, I don't believe in their teachings at all but if that's what he wants to do and if he finds peace joining that church then more power to him. If people find comfort and peace believing in a God then let them believe what piss in their cereal?
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Religion and dating
Posted: 11/2/2014 1:34:55 AM
I am not religious, dont get me wrong but you are in for a hell or should I say, a heaven of a surprise when you pass over!!! Get ready!!! lol

how can you not be religious yet buy into the dogmatic fantasy of 'afterlife'? we all die. it's normal. no big deal. sell your soul to hucksters and charlatans our of fear and it changes nothing.

It's a two way street and it seems like Christianity is the only religion that gets the hate,

you've got to be kidding me. in switzerland, they'll send you to jail if you build your mosque the wrong way. same in france if you wear the wrong head covering. here, you can develop property any way you want, call it a church, and claim the right to dodge property taxes. you don't know how good you've got it.
 pureandsimple4172
Msg: 114
Religion and dating
Posted: 11/2/2014 6:44:37 AM
...and the Christians being driven out of their homes and slaughtered all across Iraq, Syria, Egypt, etc, etc.....all just because..well, they are Christian.
Try bringing a Bible into Saudi Arabia.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >