Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 148
view profile
History
Religion and datingPage 7 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Dan,

You can twist scripture around all you want; but if you were to continue reading you would notice in the very next line the Jews were getting ready to stone Jesus for the line you quoted. If Jesus was only saying He and The Father were of one purpose the Jews would have been applauding in agreement. Instead, the Jews understood Jesus to be saying that He and God were one in the same, that Jesus was God, which was blasphemy - hence the attempt to stone.

TK
 Dan198508
Msg: 149
Religion and dating
Posted: 11/14/2014 6:22:36 AM
Trust me, the jews hated Jesus for a panoply of reasons, him calling them wicked and adulterous in Matthew 16:4, snakes in Matthew 23:33...and the jews were not a people to forget insults in a hurry, so they surround him, brandishing fingers in his face, trying to put up a fight with him and give him a good beating, BEFORE he said John 10:30.

And Jesus said I told you! John 14:28 My father is greater than I, John 10:29 My father is greater than all, Matthew 12:28 , I cast out devil with the spirit of God, Luke 11:20, I with the finger of God cast out devil, John 5:30, I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.

Does that sound like God to you? I seek not MY will but the will of MY FATHER. He TOLD the jews billions of times that he was not God, even before resurecting Lazarus, he was groaning...oh my father, oh my father...he was parying onto God, for, he didn't want the people that stood by to believe that he was actually the doer of these miracles.
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 150
view profile
History
Religion and dating
Posted: 11/14/2014 10:33:34 PM
Dan,

you need to spend more time i the Word.
First, the the Jews did not hate, despise, etc., Jesus. The Jewish leader (Sadducees, Rabbis, and the like) were opposed to Jesus due to his verbal and spiritual attacks on their leadership. The religious chains the spiritual leaders enslaved the people with were sufficient that the The Son of Man was rightfully (and need I say, righteously) angry. Read the sections describing His rage in the Temple square.

The Jewish people loved Jesus: at the start of Passover in the the 3rd year of His ministry to the nation of Israel the people shouted Hosanna! Hosanna! as He entered the city of Jerusalem. And yet 3 days later he was crucified. Part of the problem Jesus had with the people and the leadership (and within His own disciples) was how He was viewed: was Jesus a (military/civil) leader of the people who would lead an uprising and free the Jews from Roman oppression, or was He a spiritual leader who would lead the people in a great revival.

Or, was Jesus something more?

2000 years later that question has been answered in the latter.
I think it can be claimed, rightfully, that Jesus is the one true Once and Future King.

TK
 Dan198508
Msg: 151
Religion and dating
Posted: 11/15/2014 7:22:15 AM
Brother, I have provided 8 references in my post, chapter number, verse number. You have provided 0 references to back up your claims. Are we supposed to take your word for it? The references are so that people reading this topic can VERIFY that what you say is true, and judge themselves who is right.

Between you and me, we may not need references when we talk because when you speak of something which is in the Bible I will probably know what chapter/verse that is, but others reading this topic don't. The Bible is a big book, so give references so others may verify that these are not your own words.

I did not wish to have a scriptural debate here because I do not wish to hurt anyone's feelings, but if you do, please play by the rules. Who needs to spend more time in the Word? I who give references, or you?
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 152
Religion and dating
Posted: 11/15/2014 8:02:21 AM
You do realize it's just a book, right? A book written by ordinary men, telling stories. Some stories may be true, some exaggerated and some might not be true at all. Also, who's interpretation and who's translation? Just a book. This thread is not about scripture, the bible, debate on the book. It's a question regarding a non believer dating a believer. This is an everyday issue with those in the dating world.
 Dan198508
Msg: 153
Religion and dating
Posted: 11/15/2014 8:10:34 AM
^ Yes, I'm an atheist, but Tarnished_Knight is a believer (believes that Jesus is God) and we were having a debate. I simply asked him, why does he believe that Jesus is God if Jesus never claimed divinity in the Bible?

So I was hoping that he could provide a reference from the Bible where Jesus himself says I am God or where he says worship me, in order to backup his beliefs.
 Maleman999
Msg: 154
Religion and dating
Posted: 11/15/2014 12:14:51 PM

So I was hoping that he could provide a reference from the Bible where Jesus himself says I am God or where he says worship me, in order to backup his beliefs.

I don't think they had tape recorders or any audio-video equipment back then, so anybody can do the "He said blah, blah, blah" routine that proves nothing. I've seen recent articles that said religious scholars have found evidence that Jesus was married and had kids. Is that noted in the Bible, as well as what happened to the family? Somebody would have an interesting family tree/lineage. It's time to go on Ancestry.com
 mike11091
Msg: 155
Religion and dating
Posted: 11/15/2014 12:42:46 PM

Jesus was married and had kids. Is that noted in the Bible, as well as what happened to the family?

The church will always refute such claims. In 2014 they found a scroll that had text of Jesus referring to a wife, but disproved it's validity based off of handwriting.

It's a working theory right now, but a good one. No reference in the bible. The church believes Jesus to be all holy. If he had a family or a bloodline, it would somehow make him not the son of God. I'm not religious enough to embellish further.
 gtomustang
Msg: 156
Religion and dating
Posted: 11/15/2014 9:00:11 PM
Worse, decendants will have claim to property. Priests used to get married, until their offspring claimed land, and in feudal times, land was power. Can you just imagine all those court cases, around the world, on the Vatican and Eastern Orthodox and....
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 157
Religion and dating
Posted: 11/19/2014 10:57:31 PM

I don't think they had tape recorders or any audio-video equipment back then, so anybody can do the "He said blah, blah, blah" routine that proves nothing.

Yeah, but all he's asking is for even just such claims in Bible. When even a mystical middle-eastern religious book like the Bible runs short of such claims made by said supposed deity, then a believer who claims Jesus is God kind of has to question his position ("But I was raised that way!" "My preacher told me!" "Are you questioning millions of Christians?!")

Most religionists don't follow their ancient (pre-printed/changed/modified) religious books much when it boils down to it -- they follow their Religion as expressed... for social acceptance, peace, to avoid loneliness that's social or cosmic.
 ccourier51
Msg: 159
view profile
History
Religion and dating
Posted: 11/30/2014 5:39:12 PM
I am a church goer. I have dated church and none. It did not effect me at all. Since it does you. You might want to go ahead and tell her what is on your mind.
 Dan198508
Msg: 160
Religion and dating
Posted: 11/30/2014 8:02:43 PM
John 14:6 is what you're looking for.

But he IS the way. Look at it in the context. The disciples of Jesus misunderstood everything the Master taught them. John 14:2 and 4 reads:

"My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you?"

"You know the way to the place where I am going."

And then, idiotic Thomas replies ( appologies) who didn't understand a word of what Jesus just said:

"Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?"

Thomas is thinking of a geographical location, New Jersey, Paris, London, he's thinking of a physical travel because he has a low IQ! He doesn't understand that the Master is speaking of a spiritual travel! So Thomas is telling Jesus look, we don't know where you are going so how can we know the way??

He is misunderstanding, Jesus talks of spiritual matters and Thomas thinks of geographical matters. So Jesus tells him in John 14:6:

"I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

It means look at me (Jesus). The way to God is personified in me (Jesus). The Truth is personified in me (Jesus)! If you follow me (Jesus) you will reach your destination. Does that mean follow Jesus like, if Jesus goes to New York, you follow him to New York? NO! It means he's a model to follow! A spiritual model. And AGAIN THEY MISUNDERSTOOD! It was too heavy for them to bare. And Jesus was fed up, no matter what he told them they didn't understand! Jesus tells them in John 16: 12:

"I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come."

What does that MEAN? It means: You guys are too idiotic to understand me, wait for the spirit and the spirit will guide you. He was literally mocking them, he was fed up with them. If Jesus talked to sheep, the sheep would have understood him better. A bunch of idiots.

Then, as if Thomas' stupidity was not enough to call it a day, Phillip makes an even more idiotic statement, in John 14:8 which says:

"Philip said, "Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us."

What Jesus was saying to them was too heavy to bear, so, they go like, ok man, whatever, just show us God and that will do. Again, Jesus was overwhelmed by the stupidity around him. It is in Matthew 13:13:

"This is why I speak to them in parables: "Though seeing, they do not see; though hearing, they do not hear or understand."

So you understand now why you cannot take Jesus' parables ad literam, because Jesus was using them to cope with his disciples' stupidity, and he did NOT meant for them to be taken ad literam!

I could go on talking about this in a 60,000 words book and not be done with it so I'll stop here.

Again I mean no offense. It's my way of debating :)
 Bachelorette.Number1
Msg: 161
Religion and dating
Posted: 11/30/2014 8:39:47 PM
These posts that bring up any religion always turn into this.....umm, no one's going to change another's mind here people.

As to the original question - I say don't go on your date if it turns you off to this extent.

And by the way, did it occur to you that she may not be too happy with the idea of spending her life (since we've gone there already and haven't laid eyes on her yet...) with someone outside her own religion as well?
 Dan198508
Msg: 162
Religion and dating
Posted: 12/19/2014 8:43:09 AM

These posts that bring up any religion always turn into this.....umm, no one's going to change another's mind here people.

No I am changing the mind. Because I'm not talking to the Christian in terms of atoms and quantum physics, I quote from his Bible, chapter number verse number to show he/she misunderstood the context.

^_^
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >