Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Pete2205
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Premier League Football...There are 92 clubs in the league!Page 6 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Bradford beating a strong Arsenal ( Including a few "Masters of the game" ) to reach the Semi Finals of the League Cup......Gotta love it :)
 ChocolateTrousers
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Premier League Football...There are 92 clubs in the league!
Posted: 12/12/2012 3:39:11 AM
Last week. You?

I don't remember Leo Messi playing for Brighton. And honestly if its all about the blood and guts or snot as you put it, football seems a strange choice. Why not Rugby?
 Pete2205
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2012 9:22:35 AM
I think you dont understand me when I say "Snot and grissle" ok chocs....Let me explain :)

Theres a world of difference between you and me :) You sit at home or in the pub watching sky TV and going on about Man United etc zzzzz I doubt you have ever been to Manchester let alone Old Trafford (A place I was dragged to many times by my dad as a kid before I decided that my local team valued my support more and needed it.

When people like yourself talk about support its just about watching TV...Being a supporter is exactly what it says - Its about getting up at 8am or earlier, getting wrapped up (this time of the year) and travelling up to 300 miles to SUPPORT your team. To pay your money at the gate, buy a programme and contribute to the running of the club....To me your just a "Glory Hunter" who makes his comments about his team sat back in a cosy chair and on the basis of the reports in the press :)

When I talk about the "snot and grisle" I refer to the the level of football where the cheque book does not rule. Where players do not do oscar style dives or whoes loyalty to the club is dependent on what their agent can screw out of the team he plays for.

Blood and guts is what Bradford showed last night when they went and almost beat Arsenal in normal time. Blood and guts will be evident every weekend in the lower leagues and also help turn over a few premiership scalps when the 3rd round of the FA Cup comes round in January....Leeds United, Portsmouth, Coventry City, Notts Forest are all clubs that have found it hard in the lower leagues - Once your down there then you find that a return isnt so easy.

Its difficult to explain to you choco cos as I said just like the kids in my grandsons playground you are in effect a result watcher who needs to get out their and broaden his experience of football by actually going to watch a few games :)

As regards players that have come up to the Premiership from lower league clubs - If I had the time or the inclination then I could dig out a hatful for you.

Come the day of the FA Cup 3rd round I will be on a 9am ferry enroute to Nottingham ....Where will you be Choco.....Result watching or SUPPORTING your team.....

What is it they say ...99.9% of Man United fans have never been to Manchester? :)
 ChocolateTrousers
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2012 10:35:28 AM
Ahh brilliant, here's where you confirm yourself as the typical little Englander championship fan. You come up with your little stories about everyone else sitting at home while you go and watch games, even when you've been told a fact to the contrary. You glorify getting up in the morning, travelling up to 300 miles (What? You're going to leave out the part where everyone has to support their local team? How dissappointing, your act seems half-assed), buy a programme to support the club :D when buying a ticket and investing in the club are the real way to do that without handing over your money to third parties printing needless booklets.

Then you go on to talk about blood and guts being shown last night against Arsenal, not being wise enough to see that organisation was far more important a much larger key to the victory. This might insult your elitism a little but dont worry, thats completely intention, but while you are watching snot fly and talking to your mates about how watching championship football is far more rewarding than the peons paying to watch premier league football, you're clearly not absorbing the tactical side of the game, which is more than just lump it to the big guy. There's a lot of strategy involved, not just on the pitch on game day but in the preperation and training before the game. Both goals in open play were from set pieces, I guess they just came together by magic and I'm sure it was blood and thunder that won the penalty shootout, not practice and deciding who are the best takers.

I do find it quaint though that you think Arsenal and premier league footballers are the masters of the game but I suppose you got a bit giddy when you saw Arsenal pass the ball in triangles and didnt lose it after 4 passes. I can think of no other explaination as to why Arsene Wenger's worst ever Arsenal team would qualify for you, other than the completely obvious reasoning of you knowing little to nothing about the current state of top level football in this country.

I have no doubts you love that statement about United fans never having been to Manchester. Much like all your other football knowlege its hearsay and mythical at that. Something a world away from generic old you, the better football fan.

At United we have something similar. Those who would rather see United relegated so the Glazer family will want to leave. We call these idiots Top Reds. But you dont even deserve a nickname. Just pity.
 Pete2205
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2013 4:06:42 AM
If your referring to me FCB then call me old fasioned I dont care but I believe there is a difference between a ressult watcher and a supporter :)

IE my grandson comes with me and supports Oldham even tho we live on the Isle of Wight...Most if not all of his mates have never seen a game so when one says "WHo are Oldham they are rubbish?" He has the very valid comeback " And you support Man United? ...and You last saw them when? )

A supporter by definition is what it is: Someone who actually DOES support then by paying money at the gate, buying programmes and merchandise. Not someone who sits every week in front of TV following it on Sky TV :)
Anyone can do that.

Nothing beats the excitement of a match day and getting on the ferry chatting to other club supporters off to SUPPORT their team .. When we were off to Yeovil 22nd December there were fans of several clubs making long treks despite the shocking weather.

THAT defines a Supporter from the rest ....Or perhaps the English Oxford definition is wrong ?
 Pete2205
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2013 10:55:47 AM
Anyone can be a "fan" you miss my point ....Classing someone as a supporter of a club they never watch is a false definition and an insult to those that actually go and pay money to support their team.

Simple explanation: There are actually three other guys on the Isle of Wight I know who, some here might class them as Oldham supporters. In my eyes they are not, they maybe "fans" but they never go to see them play.

I personally find it laughable when someone claims to be a big SUPPORTER of a club and yet has never been to the ground. Their knowledge and and opinions come from watchin TV and reading tabloids.

I recall being in the pub one evening having a beer with a Bouremouth SUPPORTER friend. We had just returned from a game Kings Park and we were discussing the match. A couple of guys decided to put their 10 pence worth in and within 5 mins were pouring scorn on both clubs.
One said he supported Southampton so we asked if he ever went - Its a ruddy hour on the boat to Southampton and in 20 years he had never seen a game!! As far as we were concerned his credibillity was down the plug, - He was no more a supporter of Southampton than my dog is. Just like many Man United "Fans" who claim to SUPPORT them and yet when asked about the clubs history dont know jack about them prior to Fergie taking over - Sorry I cant take such people serious when they discuss the team.

You want a current definition of a supporter Frank?

How about the Portsmouth Supporters that rathan see their club fold have gathered together, run a difficult and arduous campaign to try to save their club from maladminstration?. Who turn up to every home game and pour thousands into the club coffers? - THATS what a football supporter IS Frank.

Yes I can be a fan of Messi/Ronaldo . I can be a fight fan or a horse racing fan ....There is a huge difference in definition between a fan and a SUPPORTER.
 Pete2205
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2013 1:10:42 PM
Actually Frank where do you get "I leave my family from to go travel to Oldham" Actually four members go to watch them. Also you right sigh I dont have a 55 inch telly ...I only have a 42 inch one.

I wonder how many matches you have actually been to in your life Frank? All your football watched slumped on a couch with a six pack by your side is it lol.

Who says the money I spend is wasted ? Who says we dont actually enjoy the trips we go on. The buzz on match day, stopping off for lunch somewhere and dinner on the way back. The banter in the social clubs at different grounds. The whole atmoshere of a match day - Something you clearly havent any idea about. When we were at Crawley for a game our captain rang across and gave my 6 year old grandson his training top, He autographed it at the Yeovil game......Can you get that sat on your back side in the pub or in your living room?

As for Oldham only getting £20 How on Earth would you know what we spend? We buy thre replica shirts - And kits for the boys for a start from the club shop. We pay for the website feed on the official site, programmes, food/drink in the ground. From time to time we buy other items like leisure wear, mugs, towels etc from the club.

My grandson will lead the club out at some point this season just like his mum and aunt did many years ago - Get that from being sat on your ass can you Frank?

And you cant seem to grasp that its not the level of football that matters? A REAL football supporter understands that. Sure it would be great if some rich Russian came in and threw millions at Oldham and we ended up in the Champions League one day but thats not going to happen.....Just like supporters of Fulham, Southampton, Aston Villa, Spurs, Liverpool wont be seeing a Champions League trophy either :)
-------------------------------
"u could support your own team x4 more effectively if you watched it on television,guess thats why barcalona and all the other clubs do so well with money,there fans buy there tops and stay loyal to them because of that reason and that reason only :) either way i see you and your grandson in the champions league battling with the other heavyweights of football or not" -- Lol I have never read such a paragraph of rubbish in all my life Frank.

You clearly havent any conception about teh experience of watching football travelling around to SUPPORT your team ...You waffle on in the pub with your mates knocking back the beer while your local club would probably benefit with you throwing a few quid there way and have you in the ground SUPPORTING them.

PS ....Had a good day at Nottingham Forest yesterday....0-1 down against a side chasing promotion to the Premiership then a brace of goals from Robbie Simpson as well as one from Jose Baxter - A free from Everton that a few Premiership sides are sniffing round (You wont have heard of him cos you just watch the Telly)

Now go on Frank do your bit from English football...throw another lump of wood on your log burner and turn your telly up....The game is safe with lovers of the game like you hahaha
 Pete2205
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2013 10:41:50 AM
Dont patronise me Frank just because you dont understand the difference - :)

Been a great weekend for the prima donnas in the Premiership.....Of course Liverpool fans will say they didnt have their strongest side out at Boundary Park.....Even though six of the starting line up are week in and week out regulars and the rest have had more than a few first team appearances ....Incidently our club captain Dean Furman is away playing for South Africa right now and Derbyshire returned to Forest several weeks ago ...Those are two big holes to fill for a club like us.

I see talk sport were going on about Premiership clubs not liking the "Long ball game of the lower leagues" nor the cold wet windy weather ??? Funny really they must have been watching the game on the radio to miss the fact that we passed the ball around, there was little hoofing done. Wabaras goal was 2 good passes, a Robbie Simpson run then a gorgeous cross met with a brilliant header. Our passing was statistically better than Liverpool's and while Gerard hit the bar we had chances to finish the game before they got their second.

As for the wet and windy weather hahaha....We played Liverpool from the North West not a club from the tropical shores...Stupid comment from a pundit

No Frank you may NOT see us in the Champions league but unlike Villa (Going down this year) you WILL see us in round 5 of the FA Cup .....
 Pete2205
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2013 1:37:52 PM
Yes Shawn there are many players in the lower leagues that could play at a higher level. Jose is young and wanted regular first team football and chose to come to us rather than languish in the reserves at Goodison - I think he impressed several scouts in the games against Notts Forest, Liverpool and Everton but when he does move on at least we will get some money for him.

Matty Smith gave a very good account of himself against Liverpool and Everton - Three goals I think proved that he has the capabillity of playing at a higher level.

The problem we have is that great young English players will never get the chance to play in the Premiership as the biggest clubs prefer to wave their cheque book and buy established players in from abroad. How many French, brazillian, Argentine, Portugese players are plying their trade in the Premiership? Is it any wonder that our national side has not won a trophy since 1966 - And we invented the bloody game!! There is so little money finding its way down to the lower reaches of the game in England that we stand no chance of EVER winning a Worls Cup or European Championship...Here on the Isle of Wight several yout teams have had to disband because they can no longer afford the fees being charged for pitches.

There are so many people Shaun on this forum that have never even been to watch their team. Their idea of being a supporter is to buy an Arsenal, Man United, Man City, Chelsea or Liverpool shirt from Tescos and switch on Sky TV - These people dont even buy official merchandise bI have said before and I say again that isnt support - Its Telly watching. Support is getting off your back side and travelling to games in wind and rain. Support is about being there in the ground sharing ever good and bad moment with other supporters.

On the way back from the home game against Portsmouth we stopped at a service are and met MK Dons fans who had been to Carlisle and Leicester fans who had been at Blackpool - Add up the combined miles we had travelled to watch our teams that day Shaun - THAT'S being a football Supporter.

When I was at Yeovil just before Christmas, our game was one of only a few on in the lower leagues. Several lads turned up with Exeter shirts on who had been hoping to see their team play at Plymouth but the game was called off. Did they go in a pub to watch Sky TV? No they went and found another match to go and watch - That to me is a football supporter.

While you might want to be picky with the use of words. The English league system consists of 92 clubs which includes the Premiership. A name change does not alter the structure unless relegation and promotion is denied. It isnt so Oldham, Brentford, Blackpool are valid members of the English league structure whatever label you want to stick on the top division.

So yes Shaun there are many lads playing lower league football that with coaching at a higher level would make it in the top flight but.. Just like the kids turning out for their school teams week and week out now .. Very few will make it because while people go on here go on about Messi, Suarez, Tevez etc they just promote the view that its better for English football to have them than invest in our own youth and look to a future where we can produce a generation of English born players that CAN win a trophy.

That of course will never happen but then hey as long as Man Unted and co are on sky every week who gives a shit about the England team?, Who gives a monkeys about the lower league and grass roots football.?

There is though the consolation sometimes when the likes of Swansea win the League cup and hold down a top 10 place in the EPL . Its also great when you get that rare year the prima donna footballers tumble from the FA Cup at the hands of MK Dons and Oldham. Its games like that when you see REAL grit and determination overcome pretty football that brings a smile to your face.

We will lose one, perhaps two players to a higher league club at the end of the season - Deals I believe have been pre signed. We took £1,000,000 from the FA Cup which is peanuts to an EPL side but it will keep us ticking over.

The English game as we know it though is slowly dying. In the summer several other top players will be signed for silly money from Europe and many English born kids will be told they are not wanted and end up playing for level 5 or 6 pyramid clubs never to be seen again or coached at the highest level. England might make it to the next World Cup and might even scrape through a group before going out once again.

What a great future the game in England has.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 105
Posted: 4/12/2013 9:07:17 PM

they need to cap the wage limit to £30,000 a week to every team in the world.... If they done this football would be a better game for the fan, full stadiums and a more secure footballing life for many thousands of clubs.

To us Yanks; the EPL (as well as the major Euro leagues) are a JOKE!
In each top division, you have the same 3-4 teams winning year in and year out,
because the wealthiest owners have no limits on how much they can spend;
In essence they are "buying" championships, that most other teams cannot afford to do.

Fans should demand 'salary caps' that each team must stay under
so the playing field will be level for all the clubs in each division

Why any fan would waste their money & time watching a team that is given no hope of winning is beyond me!
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 106
Posted: 4/25/2013 6:31:43 PM
^

see being American u give up when the going gets a bit ruff

1950--> USA 1; England 0
2010--> USA 1; England 1

Try beating us first, and then talk! Bragging rights must always be earned!

manchester united and liverpool played on and won the game's when people like yourself said just give up manchester and you liverpool you can't win so dont even try to win,but being Stubborn we decided to give it ago --and we won both matches.

Being English, I figured you'd have a good command of your own language! I dunno how you come up with this nationalistic drivel because all I said was that the top teams in the top Euro leagues have the deepest pockets, and that is why they end up on top most of the time. Whether one such top team beats another top team of a different country is immaterial. Btw, the Europa league is a redundant joke!

so yule--plz dont be offended when i say,you give up when it look's hard --us English we will fight till the bitter end

I guess somebody in charge forgot to tell that to Brit Gen'l Cornwallis; who promptly surrendered all of his forces to an under powered US continental army (headed by George Washington) back in the late 1770's.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 107
Posted: 4/26/2013 7:55:21 PM

Why any fan would waste their money & time watching a team that is given no hope of winning is beyond me!

^^^ thats what u put yule

And I stand behind it!
Except that you misunderstood my point.
And that is, teams in the mid table or lower have virtually little chance of winning much within their domestic league, because teams from big money club owners will be the ones having the funds to buy the "best" players; and hence finish on the upper table, year in and year out (ie; MC, MU, Chelsea; PSG, BM, RM, Barca, ACM, Juv, etc). All other less financially endowed clubs don't stand a chance; unless a wage cap is imposed.

Tournaments like the Europa league is designed for the less qualified teams to compete; thus is a second rate spectacle contrived by FIFA.
 DannyDEcua
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 12/23/2013 6:21:11 AM
What a great game this weekend, there is hope for united but Moyes will never be a ferguson . Lets hope arsenal chokes like always at the end.MU4LIFE
 chrisshrew
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2014 4:58:06 PM
Good night for Liverpool away at Fulham, only 4 points off the top. Think United have had it as far as top 4 is concerned, City or Chelsea will properly win it. Isn't there enough forums on the beautiful game though? lol.
 billybonds
Msg: 116
Posted: 8/17/2014 3:34:22 PM
Sigh........still Man Utd lost. The ginger pele, got sent off which didn't do my dream team any good.
Nor did Zabaleta, and Van Persie warming the bench or Costa not playing until tomorrow.
I think I'm older than Match of the day. My prediction is obviously West Ham, the world's
loveliest football team, to win everything but just in case......
1 Liverpool
2 Man city
3 Arsenal
4 Chelsea

FA Cup, West Ham. Champions league, if not Liverpool then West Ham United......
 Chuzz16
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 8/21/2014 9:26:44 AM
Twas a good result at the weekend Billy

billybonds
Msg: 118
Posted: 8/21/2014 1:16:55 PM
Lol ...Chuzz :) When I heard the outcome I confess I did think of you and wondered if
you curtailed your celebrations out of respect for my grief...thinking this was
improbable, I did then wish you ill, sorry. But now I've recovered my equanimity and I am
sending you my full congratulations, emoticon kiss on both cheeks, for tonight as well.

On topic..... Balotelli for Liverpool, that's jaw dropping.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2015 3:34:47 AM
Watched man u against spurs yesterday. Thought spurs started off well but then faded a bit. The young geezer memphis looks like
a good un for the mancs.
Good result for swansea yesterday at chelski as well.

Alas my own team Hibernian who are desperate to get back into the scottish premier league have started fairly bad. Beaten 6-2 at home
to the huns (rangers) in the petrofac cup 2 weeks ago. A 3-0 win at home over alloa in the league cup. But beaten by dum bloody barton
through at their shithole of a place yesterday.

Still english premeir league fitba on the telly today so a few wee beers are called for.

Lots of talk of arsenal doing really good this year.

Incidentally i was browsing ticket prices for games at arsenal. Cat a games can cost up to just under a £100 per game.
 billybonds
Msg: 122
Posted: 1/31/2017 3:15:27 PM

Dr wodrftgh heuristic
I'm,o. Zest. Joppa
Btbnmopeswa 12345££&&@.
 billybonds
Msg: 123
Posted: 2/4/2017 3:19:26 PM

Premier league foggy idea what s wrong with my attempt a rt world domination by emoticon
 Laidbackguy1964
Msg: 124
Premier League Football
Posted: 6/24/2017 6:01:51 AM
I think England's national team is a fail...Look at the number of over paid foreign players in the premier league vs home grow players...It's no wonder England, have not won the world cup since 1966...great players only evolved, when given the chance and the English players simply never get the chance anymore...
No great goal scorers and strong front men anymore...no great ball winners...no great creative vision....no great team work...no great skills...no passion at all....the team was is abysmal at the last world cup and it's been a let down for the last two decades...sad really
Players such as Stuart Pearce - Wore the England shirt with pride - had so much passion and played his heart out for the team....Very skilful players such as Paul Gascoigne - had fantastic skill and vision - very creative - also had the passion...Tony Adams - Strong - dependable - could read the game - defensive master - had passion for the shirt too...These great players don't just evolve...without being given a chance...I still have the great memories of so many great England players of the past...but can't watch the useless England team these days...nothing is good about it at all
 billybonds
Msg: 125
Premier League Football
Posted: 11/23/2017 2:03:51 PM
Moyes must go
 et_non_viderunt
Msg: 126
Posted: 12/9/2017 3:36:05 PM
Brora Rangers 16 - 0 Fort William (02 Dec 2017)

Big win for Brora last week but it's still all Furry Boot Town this season.
Today's game at Inverurie was postponed, frozen pitch.

It's more bad news people, it's more bad news, Golspie have won the North League by 3 points.

It all kicked off big time in Sutherland last weekend, the Northern Times reported that trouble flared in Lairg when someone wouldn't eat his dinner and in Rogart there were ugly scenes when a sausage roll was thrown on the ground.

Halkirk Utd v Orkney F.C. (26 November 2017)

Some animals got into the field and ate the grass, this in itself wasn't really a problem but they crapped all over the pitch. Match postponed.
Indeed, the North League is where the real action is.
 billybonds
Msg: 127
Posted: 12/10/2017 3:11:54 PM
Keep moyes for a few more weeks then give him the boot...
 billybonds
Msg: 128
Premier League Football...There are 92 clubs in the league
Posted: 12/16/2017 3:37:19 PM
Can't stand moyes , we don't really want his kind at West Ham. So to be fair to him we'll keep him employed over the Christmas period, you know presents for the kids and that, then in the new year take him outside and shoot him.

Goal...
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  >