Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MJ8227
Msg: 33
Does this site really work?Page 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
It works. Just be selective and make sure to read profiles. There are just as many wacko women on here as there are men. Learn how to see the red flags choose who you message wisely. That's how you get the best results. Don't just go by looks because a lot of the really good looking girls on this site (at least in my area) are Glenn Close waiting to happen.
 AdriaticMind
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Does this site really work?
Posted: 7/25/2012 2:22:41 AM
It works, but it can take a LONG time to find someone decent. I've had 6 boyfriends, and I met all but one online, 3 here, and 2 on another site. This time around hasn't been very fruitful thus far. It seems that most men just fade away and stop writing, but that may just be my experience.
 Wedne003
Msg: 44
Posted: 7/26/2012 8:27:38 AM
All I can say is do not give up, I have met some great woman on this site even though none have led to a relationship.
It will take time and effort no matter what.

Never never give up and take it ALL as a learning and growing experience
 Frogy27
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2012 8:34:48 AM
i have been here a yr i tryd for 3 months to meet a girl sent a averge of 200 to 300 mssga a month say hi how are you like your pro find you interstin not one awner back so idont no what woman want the dont want me in less i pay for ther time
 abmccray
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2012 2:01:41 PM

im not giving up at all, and im sorry to all if i come across wrong or as a whinier, which i am not, i just state my opinion and my experiences ive had on here for over 9 months, to mee, it is what all womne want. im not wrong until im proven it. but some women also whine and complian that all men are jerks and no other women attack them like the do me, hell theres a thread about why are so many men too picky and its a million pages long, contradiction!!! i will keep on trying and try to improve but some must at least see my point. nhra1966

Your reception would probably improve just from running your profile text through a spell-checker, for starts.

I don't know why people don't pay attention to that most basic thing - that's as much of a first impression as your pics.
 notsostarvinartist
Msg: 48
Posted: 7/26/2012 3:01:20 PM
You asking the wrong Q brotha man the Q isn't "does this site work?" it's "do you work?" keep in mind there's 1 million brotha's on here an probably half as many females...just cause a female is on here don't mean she in to you, and also keep in m ind she may already be interested in another dude. So you have a better chance at getting a bullet playing Russian roulette than gettin a woman on here.
 Drawesome32
Msg: 50
Posted: 7/26/2012 3:51:27 PM
this site works for some people, not others. i will go against the grain here and say not to put a lot of time and effort into this site for dating. put your time, thoughts, and effort, into your life outside pof. check messages (or the lack thereof) occasionally, browse profiles, and send out the occasional message. you shouldnt lower yourself down to a level where you find yourself sending out 100's of messages with the hope of one response. dont play that game.
 KeepinCool29
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2012 8:39:08 PM
I have had plenty of luck with this site. Alot of it has to do with your approach.
 Drawesome32
Msg: 52
Posted: 7/26/2012 8:47:12 PM
rockabilly: sadly, the 4 sentence profile isnt the problem. it doesnt much matter what your profile says as long as you have good pics up. what your profile actually says is far less important than what your pics look like.

maybe you were attracted to the guy you met on here by what he actually said in his profile, and not his pics. if so, thats great! it makes you one of the better finds on this site.

anyone not having luck on here, take new pics. have a friend help you take some really good ones. you can tweak your profile a little, but like i said, the pics are whats gonna make things easier for you. people take one look at a pic and decide whether or not theyll talk to you.
 Frogy27
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2012 9:08:22 AM
i think if ur the alpha type you get what you want me i dont see the point in chaseing woman around and beeing a dog if i like a girl then i try to let her now i like but if she dont show that she likes me back take the hint she ant in to me.
 ArtFromMargate
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2012 4:16:40 PM
I have been on this site about four years, and I can assure you that it does work. I have met and dated about three dozen women, maybe more. Many of them turn out to be one date & goodbye, but I have also dated enough others for several months at a time. I am almost 74 years old, and if I can meet all the women I want, the younger guys should have it even better. I met a woman for lunch today, and I have a breakfast date with another one tomorrow morning.
POF gives suggestions on writing your profile, and what your pictures should include, and what they should not include. Listen to what they say...this is their business, and they know what they're saying.
I have fine tuned my profile a few times, and I can usually get a few responses a week. It is absolutely important to read the woman's profile, as well as her interests, and talk about them in your first message to her.
I have quite a few female friends who are also on POF, and if you want it straight from the horses mouth, don't talk about sex in your approach. They will think of you as a jerk, and will delete your message.
 Drawesome32
Msg: 57
Posted: 7/27/2012 8:52:25 PM
mfx32:

its almost always the pics bro. ive conducted similar experiments myself. 99.9999% of the women on this site are totally full of it. they give a big long description of the type of guy theyre looking for when in reality all they want is a great looking guy. the rest is things theyd LIKE to have, but if you are good looking enough, the rest doesnt matter. i made a profile with pics of a shirtless model taking pics in front of his mirror with a girl cropped out (all big red flags if you read the forums) and was bombed with messages. the profile itself was basically empty.

i have a friend on here now and his pof experience has been a smashing one! he set up his profile the other night and had 3 women ask him out that night alone. not to mention all the people who clicked that theyd like to meet him, or the messages he just didnt answer. and he didnt really have anything in common with any of these women either. he was even asking me why they bothered to message him because reading what they say theyre looking for tells him he aint it.
 TantricJedi
Msg: 59
Posted: 7/28/2012 8:53:26 AM
This isn't marriage.com, relationship.com or snatch.com

It's a tool to contact strangers.

If you keep your expectations to a minimum, you'll have no problem meeting strangers.

If you expect to meet Ms. Right right now, forget it.
 ArtFromMargate
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2012 1:01:17 PM
I wrote a reply the other day, but I don't see it posted.In answer to your question, the answer is yes, I have had great luck getting replies, and getting dates on POF. The simple secret is to follow POF's own sugestions, and write to as many women as you can. What they suggest, and what I do, is to read the woman's profile carefully.....look for her interests, read about what she said she is looking for, and write about what you see.
I have been widowed since 2007, and have been on POF for quite a while, and in that time I have met and dated at least 3 dozen women. I had breakfast this morning with a woman from POF, and we have plans to go out to dinner and dancing at my Elks lodge next weekend.
I'm 74 years old, and if I can meet these woman, I say that any man can. It just takes a little work, and some common sense to be the man they are looking to meet.
I have made a lot of female friends during the past 4+ years, and some of them have told me about what they call creeps. Men who talk about their sexual conquests, their genitals or how they want to seduce a woman, are all deleted within a few seconds, and marked as creeps.
The women I talk with all tell me they want to meet a "regular" guy, a decent guy, and someone who shares their interests, and tells them about his interests.
 younglookin24
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2012 5:40:26 PM
Yes this site does work. I havent experienced it first hand, YET...but i already had 2 co-workers who tried this site and it worked. Hard proof is my co-worker actually QUIT his job to move to washington state to be with the girl lol. Mind you we're in NJ. They were talking on and off, via internet and phone and after a year, he just packed up and left. Long story short it didnt work out and he was back in NJ after 3 months lol. Fast foward a year later he met another girl on this site but the girl turned out to be a bit crazy but he's still with her, already 16 months and counting.

My other co-worker met one girl here. Turned out she worked only 1/4 MILE from OUR JOB LOL. How crazy is that? The girl told him straight out she wants a relationship, no sex and what does my co-worker do on the first date? Takes her to a hotel lol. From what he said, she didnt give it up and he never called her after that. I think he's a jerk for doing that but whatever. This site does work. Lots of personalities on this site, you really CANT NOT (double negative i know lol) find anyone. Theres a person for everyone.
 Drawesome32
Msg: 62
Posted: 7/28/2012 5:48:55 PM
dreamfire: i love your post man. very true. the women here WANT us to keep on keeping on, sending out hundreds of messages and waiting for the ever elusive response. that plays right into their game. yes, GAME, that most of them are playing. ive seen them sit around and laugh about all the messages they get and the choices they have online. i dont play thhat game, and i advise others not to. you can figure out after a week or so on here if this site is working for you or not. if it isnt, dont waste your time with it. the forums here are interesting, thats why i stick around. theyd be better if they werent so heavily monitored though.

nhra1966: the women just dont want to admit the truth man. their profiles are all garbage. they dont want any of the things they mention, theyre just here to get the best looking guy they can. relationships, compatibility, all that doesnt matter. most of what i do on the forums now is make sure the men who arent having any luck dont buy into the bull they see online.
 Spitfire_Annie
Msg: 66
Posted: 7/30/2012 8:50:13 PM
lol.. bed reply yet. never looked at it that.
 abmccray
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2012 6:59:24 AM
Everyone that is "sour grapes" about dating sites should go back and read their own posts/profiles and see how bitter they come across, and then ask why someone would respond to somebody like that in the first place. People are basically creating self fulfilling prophecies.

I'm going to change my answer to the OP's question to, "yes, this and almost all dating sites work for you if you're worth dating/your profile doesn't suck."
 abmccray
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2012 12:38:00 PM

sour grapes? ^^^^^^

more so a realist, I think it works for a small majority, not most

it's a lottery basically

A lottery implies that you have no control, which you do.

It's more like poker than a lottery. A game you can always win at if you make the right moves, although there is a certain element of chance involved in how much/often you do win.

Most guys here that complain are dealt a moderate range hand but have no idea how to use it. They end up going broke due to not understanding, or even taking the time to learn, how to play. They have guys over their shoulder telling them to make a move, they don't listen, and lose more and more "money." Very few people are dealt pocket aces or 7/2 offsuit, but even someone who is dealt AA can lose the hand if they don't know how to bet/play their cards right.
 MJ8227
Msg: 71
Posted: 7/31/2012 1:31:29 PM
What I've learned to do is when I get a response from a woman after messaging her, go back her profile and click on "View other users similar to _______" at the very bottom of the profile. Find a girl there that you are attracted to and e-mail them. Your response rate will jump up the roof. I know you're probably only looking for one girl, but you're not going to find that one unless you have a bit of a selection pool.
 FrostShock125
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2012 3:04:02 PM
Yes,but it takes time.

I met my girlfriend on here and im going to visit her in 2 weeks.

I live in Louisiana and she lives in Connecticut..and even with her being so far away i am the happiest ive ever been.

Once you weed through everyone and meet someone special,it will be quite rewarding.
 almondeyes88
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2012 9:17:13 AM
I have been on here off and on since 2009 tring to find a long term relationship and no luck so far. It seems people are only looking for a good time. I keep thinking that I might someday find a decent person.
 CapnRHHNY
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2012 2:07:11 PM
Honestly? TheFunAndOnly hit the nail on the head. He stated that you need a selection, a pool to draw from. That is the truth on any web dating service/site. Those who reside in larger urban or metropolitan areas have a far greater chance of hooking up...er, I mean dating, than those that live out in East Ba-jesus. Of course genetics, age, and monetary/financial position play a factor. And no. I did not write this with a mean spirit or bitterness. Just stating the facts.
 Drawesome32
Msg: 79
Posted: 8/1/2012 6:15:08 PM
movinforward79: youre right, this site does work better for guys who wanna lie to women and screw em over. wanna know why? well, im gonna tell ya anyway.

a woman gets 2 messages. one from an average looking guy, medium income job, obviously just a regular guy. she gets another message from a better looking guy, with a great job, well educated, and hes more charming. odds are, she wont respond to the first guy. she will make a date with the second guy though. after meeting him she finds out that hes either married and looking to cheat or hes totally full of shit, fake or old pics, unemployed, whatever. most women say they want a real guy. thing is, that real guy doesnt get a response. a dude who lies about everything on his profile and has better pics WILL. so i ask you, why be real? why not play games and lie to meet women when it works better? its better than sitting around sending out sincere messages to women you find interesting all the time and getting no response.
 PrincessAzula
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2012 5:46:22 PM
Yea, I don't get why I'm not getting many messages, my profile is really good :)
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >