Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 shomesomethin
Msg: 15
What do Nerdy men look for in a woman?Page 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
What exactly is a nerd? Does intelligence make someone a nerd? I always thought it was a less than desirable physical appearance, or should I say the less athletic types...
I don't consider myself a nerd just because of a high IQ, or the fact that I love to read and learn at every oppurtunity.
However, brains in a woman are not only attractive, but absolutely necessary for any meaningful relationship,also a broad vocabulary,neat handwriting,manners/politeness. I have also found that a college education rarely means anything, except that college graduates tend to have very little common sense or street smarts either.
The best advice I have is to just be yourself. Use the right bait for the fish you're after.
Read a few books, remain well-informed.
Good luck
 MusicFred
Msg: 17
What do Nerdy men look for in a woman?
Posted: 7/19/2012 10:31:19 AM
Well I do consider myself geeky, not nerdy as in "Revenge of the Nerds" but, yeah.

I'm geeky because I like science, history,psychology, computers,video games,piano and guitar, ALL OF THESE with a passion (well video games not as much but the technology behind it yes)

I like someone who has a passion for something. Watching Jersey Shore doesn't count !
If you're hobbies are shopping and clubbing, and listening to mainstream radio, get out.
I fancy someone that can spell right and knows how to hold a conversation on the same topic for more than 2 minutes.
What else, an open-minded person, meaning not judgemental or making huge generic assumptions.

My 2 cents and I hope I used the proper words I mostly speak french, good day to all !
 ultra10match
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2012 1:31:15 PM

What do "Nerdy" men look for in a woman?

It is simple really. Nerds don't look for anything in a woman. They don't look for women, period.

It is YOU who needs to step up to the plate and be aggressive on this or any other nerdy guy you like, otherwise all you'll be is just another acquaintance. And by aggressive I mean at EVERY level, otherwise it just won't happen.
 LinuxD
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2012 10:29:03 PM
Same thing any other non -nerdy/geeky guy does..

Someone who will understand us and appreciate us for who we are,what we do and such.. Not who they want us to be.. yanno.. the usual things.
 ShelbySask4friend1
Msg: 27
Posted: 7/23/2012 1:53:58 AM
The word geek is a slang term for odd or non-mainstream people, with different connotations ranging from "a computer expert or enthusiast" to "a person heavily interested in a hobby", with a general pejorative meaning of "a peculiar or otherwise dislikable person, esp[ecially] one who is perceived to be overly intellectual"

lol, this describes pretty much everyone...And geek is "in" now, which goes against the whole term,lol...
 gentleplus
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2012 8:11:24 PM
As I am aware that nerds are named in the Bible by Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount

Jesus said, "The geeks shall inherit the earth"... or was it "meek" ????

LOLOLOLOL
 Thornz2000
Msg: 30
Posted: 7/29/2012 8:38:35 PM
Can she fix a PC?
Is she a online gaming nut?
Can she hack into any business?
Can she write code in her sleep?

The list goes on what a nerd would look for in a woman.
Gotta have common grounds right?
 abmccray
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 7/30/2012 5:46:22 AM
I'm an art/writer/music guy now and made commercial video games for a living at one point, so I guess I count.

I look for intelligence and reasoning ability, the ability to grow and learn new things, enough self pride to want to take care of oneself physically, and a certain amount of ambition/passion.
 platypus_man
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2012 6:52:29 PM

I like women who are sexy. That means not obese.

I can't reinforce enough how important this is, in the age of obesity. People often think of what they think is important to them, when they try to figure out what is important to other people. I work in a predominantly female field of work, and all too often hear the same old song, woman saying that they have a good job, a nice car and a nice house so why aren't men interested in them? Because that's what women look for in men....not what men look for in women. Men basically want someone who's sexually attractive to us, nice, honest, and if you can cook even a little that's a plus, and someone who won't spend all our money. Anything else is gravy. If you're interested in a particular guy, learn what he's into, and then be willing to participate in that, whether it be a video game, photography, motor racing, etc.. For while if you are really pretty, you can get by with only being date material, if you really want to spend more than a couple of casual hours with him you're going to need to be interesting to talk to and do things with. Women bond by discussion, men bond by activity; get involved in both and you're way ahead of the game.
 Womac911
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2012 11:15:40 AM

"If you take two spheres, each 3ft in diameter possessing no allowance for deflection, and touch them together, what is the size and shape of the area of contact? Can you supply proof there of?"

One point, no dimensions. If two spheres intersect, if forms a circle. When you pull the spheres apart, the circles become smaller and smaller...until there is nothing left. At that point, it would become a point without dimensions.

Basically.
 justlookingvt
Msg: 45
Posted: 8/15/2012 1:19:10 AM

So it would be 11

No.

Hint: you cannot end up with more sides than the sum of individual sides in each solid.

take 2 solids. one, an equilateral pyramid and the other an equilateral tetrahedron of equal dimension. Join them ,vertex-aligned, by any matching triangular faces.

How many sides does the resulting solid have ?

Hint 2: The problem Dr. Mike stated above is ambiguously formulated.

Accounting for the ambiguity in the original formulation leads to multiple solutions.

Exercises for any taker: what is the ambiguity in the original formulation ? What are the possibilities arising from the ambiguity ? What is the correct number of sides for each case arising from the ambiguity ?

The "proof" provided by Womac911 is not a proof, additionally, while the conclusion is correct, the thought process isn't.

The proof provided by BrianFromUSA is correct as it is based on the fact that the surfaces are convex at all points. It is however hard to visualize. There is a much more intuitive proof that almost anyone can easily "see".

@jedimikey

5 or 7 ? ... Guesses don't count :-) Also, a reasonable way of visualizing the resulting solid should be provided as informal, but visible proof. Otherwise, there is no support for the answer, which leaves it without value.
 Humbouldt
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2012 7:33:11 AM
Well I can't speak for the rest of the Nerdy / Geeky / Vapidity-Challenged Community, as I feel we have a great diversity within our ranks, but I can answer what I look for. Looking for a woman who likes honesty and affection and even communication is hardly selective. But the following criteria on the other hand are exposed rarely enough to be useful to check for:

1. Intellectuality. Some sign she uses her brain recreationally. Not enough that she likes "smart" guys, I want some hope she will willingly use her own smarts.

2. Generosity, volunteerism, something other than purely selfish pursuits.

3. Creativity, some pursuits other than pure consumption.

I don't know about you, but in my neck of the woods, I can go through ten profiles in a row and not find any of the above.
 justlookingvt
Msg: 48
Posted: 8/15/2012 6:28:14 PM

Which is the correct answer. Unless, any pair of faces of the new solid turn out to be co-planar.

That is ONE correct answer based on your ORIGINAL formulation of the problem. Based on the same formulation where you defined the solids, it is not possible 2 have more than 2 coplanar surfaces (the ones used to join the two solids.)

There IS another answer that is totally correct based on your original formulation. Can you find the problem in your original formulation and the "other" answer ?
 justlookingvt
Msg: 49
Posted: 8/16/2012 12:27:26 AM
I'll start from your last message because it will result in an explanation that is easier to understand.

dr,mike Msg 70

2. one, an equilateral pyramid
And equilateral pyramid is a 3-dimensional shape who's boundary is fully formed by a square (equilateral rectangle) and four equilateral triangles. In this case, it is a solid body, as previously mentioned. These are equilateral shapes. meaning that the length of all "sides" is the same.
The only ambiguity is my use of the colloquial "sides" instead of the formal "faces".

False (in bold above). An equilateral pyramid may have a base which consists of any number of sides from 3 to infinity. The implied claim that only quadrangular pyramids can be equilateral is false. Any pyramid based on a regular (or equiangular) polygon will be equilateral. The first statement now clearly being false makes the second bolded statement false as well.

dr,mike Msg: 52

take 2 solids. one, an equilateral pyramid and the other an equilateral tetrahedron of equal dimension. Join them ,vertex-aligned, by any matching triangular faces.

It should be obvious from the preceding explanation that, the ambiguity in your original formulation above is the term "equilateral pyramid". You did not specify the number of faces this "equilateral pyramid" had to have.

It isn't my intention to split hairs with the above. In mathematics, precision in the definition of a problem is crucial. As originally defined, there is an infinite number of "equilateral pyramids" to be matched to the proposed tetrahedron.

The most commonly used term of pyramid identifies a triangular pyramid (tetrahedron) or a quadrangular pyramid. Those would be the two most commonly assumed shapes for the ambiguous description of "equilateral pyramid".

From the loose definition of "equilateral pyramid" it is reasonable to conceptualize the term as a tetrahedron or a quadrangular pyramid. It should be noted that this conceptualization is mathematically incomplete since all pyramids based on other regular polygons are arbitrarily left out of consideration.

Now, in message 62

Msg: 62

A pyramid has a square base and four triangular sides. For a total of five sides.

That removes the ambiguity in the original formulation. However, if you choose to arbitrarily limit the base to a maximum of 4 sides, pyramids with a base of 3 sides have no reason to be excluded. In this situation there are now two possibilities:

1. matching 2 tetrahedrons (one from the "equilateral pyramid" and the second from the formulation)
2. matching a quadrangular pyramid to a tetrahedron (the original but ambiguously stated intent)

In case 1 the resulting number of faces is 6 with zero coplanar faces

Visualization: the resulting object is a triangular dipyramid. You can see a picture of it at http://mathworld.wolfram.com/TriangularDipyramid.html (mentally adjust the triangles to be equilateral.) or, optionally, follow the same visualization procedure as given for case 2.

In case 2, the resulting number of faces is 7 with zero coplanar faces.

Visualization: Place a triangular pyramid alongside a quadrangular pyramid (their bases should touch and by definition be of the same length), now tip the vertex of the triangular pyramid towards the vertex of the quadrangular pyramid until the two vertices come in contact. This causes the base of the triangular pyramid to be revealed while obscuring two sides (one of each pyramid) that were previously visible.

Therefore, 4 sides of the triangular pyramid + 5 sides of the quadrangular pyramid - 2 sides that got obscured by matching the vertices = 7.

Unfortunately, I was not able to find a picture of the resulting solid. There are no coplanar faces since the base of the triangular pyramid is made of 3 angles of 60 degrees each (otherwise it would not be equilateral) and the base of the quadrangular pyramid is made of 4 angles of 90 degrees. Since the angles are not the same, no faces can be coplanar.

One correction I need to make to a previous statement of mine

The "proof" provided by Womac911 is not a proof, additionally, while the conclusion is correct, the thought process isn't.

Womac911 thought process is correct. However, it still is not a proof.

justlookingvt
Msg: 50
Posted: 8/16/2012 3:34:15 AM

In the vernacular, "pyramid" also carries the assumption of a "square base".

In the vernacular a haystack plus half of another haystack equals one and a half haystacks. In Mathematics that sum is undefined.

An equilateral pyramid isn't what my neighbor (or someone else) wishes it to be. It is an undefined instance of an infinite family of equilateral pyramidal solids built upon regular polygons.

Mathematics is about precision not vernacular assumptions (however convenient those may be.)

As far as the remainder of your post, I re-iterate the fact that given a quadrangular pyramid based on a square (as you later postulated) and an equilateral tetrahedron, it is not possible to ever have coplanar faces (except the two used in the join, which become part of the new solid) by joining them from the base to the vertex. The proof is stated in my previous post.

It is most definitely possible to join different types of equilateral pyramids by the base and vertices and have coplanar faces but, NOT when one is an equilateral pyramid based on a square (the mathematical definition of a square, not the vernacular one, whatever that may be) and the other is a tetrahedron based on an equiangular triangle.
 Humbouldt
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2012 6:38:41 AM
@KatieMPH, thanks for that brief story, it is surprisingly dark and light, sad and uplifting at the same time.

I wonder why you say nothing in your profile about brilliance, education, conversation? Are you discouraged from asking for it, or discouraged from having it?

It's discouraging to me when a woman with a clearly vibrant working mind makes no hint of it. Am I wrong to look for it? Am I wrong to mention it?
 justlookingvt
Msg: 52
Posted: 8/16/2012 9:25:31 AM

I re-iterate the fact that given a quadrangular pyramid based on a square (as you later postulated) and an equilateral tetrahedron, it is not possible to ever have coplanar faces (except the two used in the join, which become part of the new solid) by joining them from the base to the vertex. The proof is stated in my previous post.

Thank you for the "last clue". The above is for the last time.

You can have your Mathematics however you like it. Personally, I'll stick with the Mathematics of Gauss and Descartes.
 Ravenstar66
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2012 8:11:01 PM
I love how this devolved to a discussion on mathematics lol

awesome

The world needs more nerds.. good gracious, an intelligent conversation! someone to watch sci-fi with... someone who gets that going to comic con is fun! That D&D was a great way to spend a Sunday with friends. (original game, but only if you had a good dungeon master)

philosophy! literature! science! sociology! etc... so many subjects.. so few to share them with.

for a long time my dream guy was Dr. Daniel Jackson = just the right combination of smarts, philanthropy and absent-mindedness (yes, i realize he's a fictional character - but please, don't tell me you nerdy guys have never dreamed about 7 of 9)

There seems to be very few in my age group though... probably all locked up in labs somewhere trying to get published... *sigh*

I'll stop now.. I'm depressing myself. i have no idea how to find them much less go out with them. Sorry, can't help.
 cooldog65
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2012 8:40:40 AM
Hmmm...matching pocket protectors?
 NDTfan
Msg: 62
Posted: 8/26/2012 8:45:38 PM

This is because poor old type A is ignored by women as instead of having muscles and hanging out at parties he has a 3.7 GPA and hangs out in Lordaeron.

Just a question, since I'm not a geeky guy and can't really comment on that with any authority....but what if you're a chick and hang out in Lordaeron? Or... um... the type to knit a horde sweater during slow-ass guildie corpse runs during raids?

I think the people who said that nerdy men look for a woman who'll talk to them have it right. We've been inundated with the stereotype... so much so that nerdy men are convinced that no woman will want him. It's a shame, because along with the nerdy part, most of these men that I've come across are incredibly sweet. Except that huntard in the coffee shop who asked me if I got all my gear by paying a neighbourhood teenager to raid for me (since girls can't get past level 20 without help) and thought that the only achievement worth getting was the one for the "motorcycle". He should be alone forever.
 psytle
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2012 11:41:58 AM

I think the people who said that nerdy men look for a woman who'll talk to them have it right.

Hmmm...yup.
 justlookingvt
Msg: 68
Posted: 8/31/2012 11:10:59 AM

I figure it's seven, because two faces get swollowed into the interior of the resultant solid shape:

7 is correct. Based on your T and Qs I would see it as QTTPPPQ

The base of both solids is unaffected by the join, one side of the tetrahedron is lost as is one side of the squared based pyramid.

You don't need to take into consideration any curved surfaces (as you implied in spherical geometry) since there really aren't any anywhere. That part of your thinking I didn't get. As far as the angles, it is much easier if you think of them as an equilateral triangle (3 angles of 60 degrees) being joined to a plain square (4 angles of 90 degrees). Don't even think of solids. First think of the whole thing as 2, 2 dimensional figures (triangle and square) once you've joined them as 2 dimensional figures, mentally create the resulting solid.

HTH.
 hockeyfan82
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2012 12:31:01 PM
I consider myself nerdy/geeky, etc., although the only requirements I have for a girl are that she be honorable, and respectful of people, including herself and me.

However, it would be cool if she loved Star Wars, how things work, and computers! OMG! COMPUTERS!!!!!

Also, retro nerdy stuff. I love pictures of the old DEC PDP or whatever mainframes, Linux, programming, Atari...especially on the fringe of nerdiness/geekiness, like building your own computer (from discreet chips), etc.

If I found a girl who was interested in this stuff, I would just about pass out.

All the better if she's cute. Like my friend's sister. But guess what? She's 10 years younger than me, went to a university about a thousand miles away, and found a boyfriend. She is also nice, too, which I REALLY like in a girl. That's life, right? Everyone always gets what you want, except for you.
 justlookingvt
Msg: 70
Posted: 8/31/2012 9:26:40 PM

dr,mike

There are images of the actual; solution, here:

http://www.mtihp.com/demo.htm

Nice! ... I looked far and wide for a page like that and could not find one. Did you create that page ? if yes, well done! ... if no, well done on finding it!
 justlookingvt
Msg: 73
Posted: 9/1/2012 10:20:38 AM

dr,mike

... made them semi- transparent.

Yes.. that would have been nice... or a wire frame. As you said, what he did gets the point across... nicely done.

Student: 5

Me: And how did you arrive at that number?

Student: Well, the obvious answer is 7. Just by arithmetic. But, this is not a course in arithmetic, So, you wouldn't ask this question if the answer was 7. Only a tetrahedron can have 4 faces. And, it can't be a tetrahedron because one of the sides is square. So, it's not 4. That leaves 5 or 6. So... something has to be co-planar. Symmetry tells me you lose 2 faces or none. So, I am going with 5. But, I can't picture it!

Sounds like a kid that would make a great congressman :-)
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >