Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > How did you learn to cook?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CharminC
Msg: 26
How did you learn to cook?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
PBS- Earlyweekend mornings in front of the boobtube as an only child watching Julia child, Graham Kerr (The Galloping Gourmet), Martin Yan, and Jacques Pepin.
Then there were mom's meat and potatoes meals with a dessert practically after every meal. I married soon after high school but mom had already passed so naturally with recipes in hand, I had used memory from all that I've seen and all that I've tasted to recreate.
Been over twenty years now. I've served exes and their family and now my kids and friends. I can say I can cook.
After working for an organic food company a few years ago, my ingredients have evolved.
 lukeXZ
Msg: 27
view profile
History
How did you learn to cook?
Posted: 7/27/2012 12:44:26 PM
Both of my grandmothers taught me traditional cooking and baking very young. They taught me all about baking pies and cooking good wholesome (and butter rich) comfort food. They both believed that if you had the time to sit in the kitchen then you should be put to work. My stepfather taught me everything I know about BBQing low and slow.

If you want to get into it yourself just learn from a friend who loves to cook. If you don't have that just experiment in the kitchen with recipes that you like.
 onewayoranuther
Msg: 28
Posted: 7/27/2012 8:37:19 PM
We were very poor when I was married. So, I had to be creative. The first year was hard because a lot of food was boring but eventually, I experimented enough to where I was an excellent cook by the time I left his stupid arse.

Now I make yummy foods...just no one to cook for anymore :(
 alexvanlee
Msg: 29
Posted: 7/30/2012 1:35:29 PM
bought a bbq book from costco

went to this british guys house and had him teach me knife skills
practice makes perfect
 Choporis
Msg: 30
Posted: 7/30/2012 5:18:16 PM
For my story, no one really taught me how to cook. I just started frying eggs when I was a child, then eventually moved up to cooking dishes with more steps.
Nowadays I read and follow recipes, most of the time it will turn out great. :)
 SpecificTruths
Msg: 31
Posted: 7/31/2012 8:37:47 PM

what do yours do when they fail?

They don't seem to be "airy" enough. More like custard. I will take your tips and try them out when the weather cools a bit; too hot to run the oven!
 myjourney05
Msg: 32
Posted: 8/4/2012 4:27:49 PM
I learned from my family, my grandmother, my father, my aunts. My family, they are picky when it comes to food, me I'm more flexible. I love to watch cooking show. I learn some cooking technique from them.

I love cooking as much as dinning out.
 Gary111984
Msg: 33
Posted: 8/27/2012 5:31:35 AM
I come from a family where the men were the cooks. My grandfather cooked for the army as one of the lead chefs and my dad has been in the kitchen for over 30 years. So I learned my skill from my father. One day I plan on opening my own Restaurant.
 Arcticfox04
Msg: 34
Posted: 8/27/2012 7:59:02 PM
Pretty much I watched the Food Network all the time and took a little practice. Now I can pretty much anything now. Its was all about trail and error.
 RuralUrbanNZ
Msg: 35
Posted: 9/2/2012 12:30:07 AM
My mom and her mom were excellent cooks. My brother and I both picked up our love of cooking and baking from them.

My younger brother did some chefing for a well known place in St Andrews, NB and I taught cooking classes for people with gluten intolerances and vegetarians in ONtario, before moving to NZ.

I love to cook for friends here in NZ because they are my family. :-)
 daynadaze
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2012 3:02:39 PM
My mother is a horrible cook, plus she didn't like to cook and she worked so she wasn't home. It wasn't easy, my mother did the shopping and she would buy say hamburger meat but no beans or break, or bread but no meat, etc. I had to learn how to cook to survive. I'm not a great cook but I can follow a recipe and make edible food. What got me, was my father worked nights for some years, so was home during the day, never cooked other than a BBQ for a get together, and yet after I was married he came over and showed me how to cook some things, like that steak is better rare than leather-ed, and he showed me how to wash dishes in order so that you don't have grease in the water when you wash your glasses. I was amazed, never knew he knew these things and still don't know why he never helped around the house.

Now I watch several cooking shows, they are fun but for the most part I'm not buying all those ingredients to make something I can make much simpler and I don't have the palate to tell the difference. When I was young, and we had a TV, which we didn't always, I loved to watch Julia Child, but I had no idea what she was really making. In my home during my growing up years, you were lucky to have hamburger or hotdogs and some potatoes or a can of pork 'n beans at the same time. The big thrill back then for me was spaghetti which was some browned hamburger, some cooked noodles and a packet of dried spices that you mixed with a can of tomato sauce, that you mixed together on your plate. I never tasted anything so good back then! LOL
 _gjetost
Msg: 37
Posted: 9/2/2012 5:01:44 PM
Just something I picked up along the way, got tired of same ol' same ol'.

The great thing is you can keep is simple or go wherever you want with it whatever time, skill, budget allow you.

Also a nice way to relieve stress.

The tough part is the clean up....but that goes with the territory.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 38
Posted: 9/5/2012 3:17:42 PM
Debydu z- I started by watching my grandmother. She was an old fashioned scratch cook. I swear she could make dirt taste good.
After that, I learned by trial and error (a lot of error in the beginning, lol). I experimented with seasoning, cooking methods, etc., until I got it right.
I also watch some cooking shows for tips. Iron Chef and Chopped are my favorites.
 QueenBeeSweetness
Msg: 39
Posted: 9/9/2012 12:08:38 AM
I never really formally learned, when became engaged to my Husband, in the name of becoming more domestic, I just started going to the market, buying food, and cooking it using common sense. My Mother always tried to get me in the kitchen to teach me, but I never had any interest.

I turned into a great cook, and I have rarely ever used recipes or cookbooks, unless I am trying something new and complex. My boyfriend is a chef and likes my cooking better than his own, but he has given me some real helpful techniques.
 sunriseguy5
Msg: 40
Posted: 9/18/2012 7:34:26 PM
I learned from my mom when i was in high school. She would teach me a few recipes and i would cook when ever she got home late from work and i would have dinner ready. I also learned from the food network and my god mother later on. i like cooking, esp. the foods i enjoy eating :)
 matblack70
Msg: 41
Posted: 10/7/2012 10:33:23 PM
When i was in the navy I was always in some sort of trouble and got lots of extra duties in the kitchen ...couldn't help but learn! lol
 lilbigsute
Msg: 42
Posted: 10/9/2012 12:11:21 AM
Martin Yan is hilarious, and a really interesting guy. I got to meet him when I was in culinary school, he did a demo there.

And I learned to cook, well not really cook, I learned to bake by hanging on my grandmas coat tails, and helping, because it was the only way I got to spend good quality time with her.

After she passed away I took over the family task of making baked good baskets for the neighborhood, and family/friends. I did that for a few years as a fun little hobby, while I worked in sawmills and when I got laid off I decided to go to school for my biggest passion, and applied at the Le Cordon Bleu school in Portland Oregon.

After I graduated I spent 5 years moving up and down the west coast learning from any chef that would let me into their kitchen. And now I am in the process of starting my own Gourmet sausage truck in, almost, my home town of Olympia.
 ventti
Msg: 43
Posted: 10/9/2012 2:15:51 PM
My mother was a terrible cook and my father couldn't boil water so my brother and I grew up feeding the overcooked steak and kidney pie to the dog under the table. Or stuffing inedible somethings in our pockets to flush down the toilet..she was that bad!! She stopped cooking when I was 14 - she hated it so - and I took over.
At first I tried to teach myself. After I moved out of home at 17, I held my first dinner party. It took me all day to make a tomato soup from scratch and spaghetti bolognaise - I was so tired I fell asleep on the couch after dinner and everyone partied on around me.
My girlfriends taught me to cook, really - and how to lay a table. (I knew about cutlery placings but not about how to decorate, etc.)
 Marmite baby
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2012 11:53:50 AM
I did cookery O level, but very irrelevant, I don't have a sweet tooth,so I rarely bake anything. I remember at the time , parents complaining over the cost of ingredients; I also agreed to teach cookery in order to get a job. I hadn't and still don't have,a cooker. So I used my friend's house to practise lessons. Also v impractical eg chocolate truffles.I think cooking in schools would be far more relevant if attached to a lunch club, ie the children eat it when ready. The basic stuff which you eat is not suitable for taking home after 6 hours. I then did food tech for a year group ( divine justice for lying at interview). This was much better,as I was given a free rein with a more general scheme. and hygeine and nutrition were a big part of it. Fruit salad and scones. I would have liked to do a "restaurant", but this was impractical, due to the timetable, my time, and health and safety.
I started to cook for myself from about 13.My mum was ill, so we would eat eat sandwiches a cake for tea in the evening. I was overweight and cooked, often eg poached egg and veg.I went from a size 16 to 10, levelling at a 12. Just imagine a poached egg after 6 hours...
I have no cooker, but use a steamer, free standing hob, George Foreman grill, and microwave/ combined oven. Now that Ihave more time, the hob and slow cooker are used more. Now that I have more time to cook, and eat unfortunately, I enjoy it.
 Marmite baby
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2012 12:01:09 PM
Tried to edit post. The main class teacher job, I wasfine with. The options for the older children were PE, sex ed, or cookery. No brainer. I can poach an egg...
 _Seriously_
Msg: 46
Posted: 10/15/2012 3:51:27 PM
Started out at a very young age helping my mom.. She told me that even before I was two that I had to help her make macaroni and cheese for my dad.. Needless to say, I do not remember that.. But knowing that I loved helping her at that young of an age is awesome.. My mom and I always baked together, cooked together and all that good stuff.. Then as a teenager, I began taking Home Economics, so that taught me even more.. Then as an adult, I found many intersting ways to make different things.. Now, my daughter helps me, as well as my 4 year old granddaughter..

Vyzov
Msg: 47
Posted: 10/22/2012 9:16:15 PM
I can think of three distinct stages on how I learned how to cook.

The first stage would of been helping out in the kitchen as a child. Be it day to day meals and with big family events I always helped creating delicious meals. Eventually this grew into me every so often cooking supper. This gave me a good grasp of the basics.

The second stage would of been spending too much time watching the Food Network. It is amazing how much I picked up from just watching TV. I learned alot of things that I had been doing wrong before, and alot of things that are now standard for me when cooking.

The third stage, which is still and will always be ongoing is to just cook. There is no better way to learn something than to do it. I am constantly trying new things, adapting recipes I find to my tastes, experimenting with new dishes and ingredients. I try to make something completely new every two weeks, but it usually ends up being more like once a month.

Cooking is the single most rewarding skill I have ever learned. I don't understand how anyone can decide not to learn how to cook. To be able to take things lying around your kitchen and turn it into a delicious meal instead of just food. (there is a difference between the two, and I know I'm guilty of being lazy and just making food instead of cooking a meal from time to time.) My favourite part has to be when I cook something for a group of people and have everyone tell me how great something I made was.
 cb1201
Msg: 48
Posted: 10/30/2012 9:15:01 PM
I taught myself how to cook.
 MV6000
Msg: 49
Posted: 12/21/2012 11:14:41 PM
I learned how to cook by going to cooking college and working as a line cook.

What got me interested in going to cooking college was taking a few cooking classes in high school. I failed those classes since I never took it seriously. I hated everything in high school and I wasn't interested in anything, career wise. I did remember how much fun it was to cook in those classes. So I enrolled in a special program for high school students at my soon to be cooking college. Took it seriously and realized I had a natural talent for it. Entered a competition for those high school students taking those classes and I won a scholarship.
 BertDCaveman
Msg: 50
Posted: 12/22/2012 1:47:43 PM
Trial and error and increased Home owners insurance
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > How did you learn to cook?