Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > How did you learn to cook?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lilbigsute
Msg: 42
How did you learn to cook?Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Martin Yan is hilarious, and a really interesting guy. I got to meet him when I was in culinary school, he did a demo there.

And I learned to cook, well not really cook, I learned to bake by hanging on my grandmas coat tails, and helping, because it was the only way I got to spend good quality time with her.

After she passed away I took over the family task of making baked good baskets for the neighborhood, and family/friends. I did that for a few years as a fun little hobby, while I worked in sawmills and when I got laid off I decided to go to school for my biggest passion, and applied at the Le Cordon Bleu school in Portland Oregon.

After I graduated I spent 5 years moving up and down the west coast learning from any chef that would let me into their kitchen. And now I am in the process of starting my own Gourmet sausage truck in, almost, my home town of Olympia.
 ventti
Msg: 43
How did you learn to cook?
Posted: 10/9/2012 2:15:51 PM
My mother was a terrible cook and my father couldn't boil water so my brother and I grew up feeding the overcooked steak and kidney pie to the dog under the table. Or stuffing inedible somethings in our pockets to flush down the toilet..she was that bad!! She stopped cooking when I was 14 - she hated it so - and I took over.
At first I tried to teach myself. After I moved out of home at 17, I held my first dinner party. It took me all day to make a tomato soup from scratch and spaghetti bolognaise - I was so tired I fell asleep on the couch after dinner and everyone partied on around me.
My girlfriends taught me to cook, really - and how to lay a table. (I knew about cutlery placings but not about how to decorate, etc.)
 Marmite baby
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2012 11:53:50 AM
I did cookery O level, but very irrelevant, I don't have a sweet tooth,so I rarely bake anything. I remember at the time , parents complaining over the cost of ingredients; I also agreed to teach cookery in order to get a job. I hadn't and still don't have,a cooker. So I used my friend's house to practise lessons. Also v impractical eg chocolate truffles.I think cooking in schools would be far more relevant if attached to a lunch club, ie the children eat it when ready. The basic stuff which you eat is not suitable for taking home after 6 hours. I then did food tech for a year group ( divine justice for lying at interview). This was much better,as I was given a free rein with a more general scheme. and hygeine and nutrition were a big part of it. Fruit salad and scones. I would have liked to do a "restaurant", but this was impractical, due to the timetable, my time, and health and safety.
I started to cook for myself from about 13.My mum was ill, so we would eat eat sandwiches a cake for tea in the evening. I was overweight and cooked, often eg poached egg and veg.I went from a size 16 to 10, levelling at a 12. Just imagine a poached egg after 6 hours...
I have no cooker, but use a steamer, free standing hob, George Foreman grill, and microwave/ combined oven. Now that Ihave more time, the hob and slow cooker are used more. Now that I have more time to cook, and eat unfortunately, I enjoy it.
 Marmite baby
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2012 12:01:09 PM
Tried to edit post. The main class teacher job, I wasfine with. The options for the older children were PE, sex ed, or cookery. No brainer. I can poach an egg...
 _Seriously_
Msg: 46
Posted: 10/15/2012 3:51:27 PM
Started out at a very young age helping my mom.. She told me that even before I was two that I had to help her make macaroni and cheese for my dad.. Needless to say, I do not remember that.. But knowing that I loved helping her at that young of an age is awesome.. My mom and I always baked together, cooked together and all that good stuff.. Then as a teenager, I began taking Home Economics, so that taught me even more.. Then as an adult, I found many intersting ways to make different things.. Now, my daughter helps me, as well as my 4 year old granddaughter..

Vyzov
Msg: 47
Posted: 10/22/2012 9:16:15 PM
I can think of three distinct stages on how I learned how to cook.

The first stage would of been helping out in the kitchen as a child. Be it day to day meals and with big family events I always helped creating delicious meals. Eventually this grew into me every so often cooking supper. This gave me a good grasp of the basics.

The second stage would of been spending too much time watching the Food Network. It is amazing how much I picked up from just watching TV. I learned alot of things that I had been doing wrong before, and alot of things that are now standard for me when cooking.

The third stage, which is still and will always be ongoing is to just cook. There is no better way to learn something than to do it. I am constantly trying new things, adapting recipes I find to my tastes, experimenting with new dishes and ingredients. I try to make something completely new every two weeks, but it usually ends up being more like once a month.

Cooking is the single most rewarding skill I have ever learned. I don't understand how anyone can decide not to learn how to cook. To be able to take things lying around your kitchen and turn it into a delicious meal instead of just food. (there is a difference between the two, and I know I'm guilty of being lazy and just making food instead of cooking a meal from time to time.) My favourite part has to be when I cook something for a group of people and have everyone tell me how great something I made was.
 cb1201
Msg: 48
Posted: 10/30/2012 9:15:01 PM
I taught myself how to cook.
 MV6000
Msg: 49
Posted: 12/21/2012 11:14:41 PM
I learned how to cook by going to cooking college and working as a line cook.

What got me interested in going to cooking college was taking a few cooking classes in high school. I failed those classes since I never took it seriously. I hated everything in high school and I wasn't interested in anything, career wise. I did remember how much fun it was to cook in those classes. So I enrolled in a special program for high school students at my soon to be cooking college. Took it seriously and realized I had a natural talent for it. Entered a competition for those high school students taking those classes and I won a scholarship.
 BertDCaveman
Msg: 50
Posted: 12/22/2012 1:47:43 PM
Trial and error and increased Home owners insurance
 Miss_ing
Msg: 51
Posted: 12/26/2012 7:24:12 AM
From mother and grandmothers. Even my dad had hand in it. Cook the American basics, hamburgers, hotdogs, a few Northren Italian dishes I learned from the neighbors. Stir fry and Mexican meals since I am from the southwest and everything tastes better with green chili. But mostly I cook Native foods, soups, breads, corns, red meat, and stuff. I don't enjoy cooking I find fun when I cook for others and they enjoy but for me I could live on saltine crackers and tea.
 LolaEasen
Msg: 52
Posted: 12/27/2012 1:12:57 PM
My grandma and aunt were the best cooks around. They used to bake out of their homes and people would come by and pay for dishes. The best dish was my grandma's apple cream cake. I can taste it now :) Thank you for bringing up the memory...
 eve1962
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2012 9:09:45 PM
I learnt the basics from my Mum, but it wasn't until I left home that I learnt if you have a good stock of herbs and spices in your cupboard, you can make almost anything taste good.

Reckon I'll make a chicken, barley and veg stew tomorrow - was never shown how to do it, just read a few recipes online and adapted it to my own taste.
 TheKiteRunner2003
Msg: 54
Posted: 1/2/2013 7:54:01 PM
I enrolled in home economics for three years. Most of my inspiration comes from what I have eaten from various restaurants in my life time, books I've read, channels I've watched, magazine snippets and friends I know.
 CharminC
Msg: 55
Posted: 1/3/2013 7:39:26 PM
My favorite show is "Chopped". Most of the time when I watch it, I am screaming at the TV, telling them what to do...................

^^^

Hahahhaaa!!!!! Me too!!!!
 Just___Jim
Msg: 56
Posted: 1/4/2013 5:06:29 PM
I would say by trial and error over the years to learn how to cook good from scratch.

Mom was a very good cook as she feed 8 hungry kids . And I try to duplicate some of her favorite dishes when then the mood strikes me. And when its cold or I'm a little under the weather, it going to be chicken soup.

And now with all the cooking shows,you learn and pick up so much more information. And now its like you know ahead of time what they are going to do. lol
Yet also learn more of the secrets that they share with you too which comes in handy.
There are so many wonderful cooks out there, but one of my fav is Jacques Pepin, as he makes cooking wonderful meals look so simple,and to understand for yourself how to do it easily.

And buying very good cook ware,knifes,etc is imperative to make each meal fit its pot. ^^^^^^^^

I'll cook but can you do the dishes? ^^^

bon appetite
 CaptainAmericaOO7
Msg: 57
Posted: 1/4/2013 8:01:10 PM
I picked it up as I went along. I had some cooking classes in highschool where we learned to make cheese and potato pie which was very nice but since I'm lactose intolerant not very useful. I don't think the classes really did much more than a cheese and potato pie.

The rest I picked up as I went along, watching my mother and other women. Then I used this to cook what I now cook. Usually I throw things in the steamer or the crock pot. I never use oil, salt or sugar. All my cooking is extremely healthy.
 Lexlaro
Msg: 58
Posted: 1/7/2013 8:57:17 AM
Started by helping my mom in the kitchen when i was young, nothing more complicated then stir the sauce and put this in that bowl then i got to work in a kitchen when i was 16, fast food but everything was made from scratch. Now i'm 23 and i've worked in a few different kitchens around here learning what i can from people who've been doing it for ages and following recipes on tv / internet.
 FSU9144
Msg: 59
Posted: 1/11/2013 11:50:54 AM
My mom and "trial and error:" another word for experimenting with dishes
 Pragmatous78
Msg: 60
Posted: 1/20/2013 10:26:14 PM
I've learned by trial and error heh. Mostly just looking it up and trying it out. You'll never know until you get your hands dirty.

Rule#1 if the smoke alarm goes off it's done.
 Pokerman67
Msg: 61
Posted: 2/8/2013 6:42:26 PM
I started by watching my grand mother bake bread. Then I would watch my mother do the same. Then in high school I had to take home ec. I then went to college and obtained a degree in food service management which I had to take a cooking class. Thats when my cooking took off. Recently I developed my own BBQ sauce recipe for a sauce. I am trying to get it marketed. I also cook a variety of home made soups. French onion, italian wedding soup and ham pot pie are my specialties. I also make a mean meat loaf, bear can chicken, steak on the grill, and a nice sacre torte (double layer choclate cake (from scratch) with a melted choclate glaze poured over it which leave a nice chocolate glaze/icing on it....very good)
 LuvDemGloWorms
Msg: 62
Posted: 2/11/2013 7:08:25 PM
ever since I was 5 my dad has always had me in the kitchen teaching me different tips and tricks to cooking... I can pretty much cook multiple meals by myself...

I am no chef, but it is a good thing to have some cooking under your belt!
 Molly Maude
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2013 12:38:10 PM
as teen-agers, I think all my sister and I were ever allowed to do ... besides all
the TEDIOUS work involved in canning fruit and making jams under CLOSE
supervision ... was to bake cakes ... we made TONS of cakes for whatever
charity needed cakes ... we were VERY good at making and decorating cakes
for charities ... the only time we made fudge was after I was married and the
fudge never did set up ... we eventually used it as chocolate syrup!

as a teen-ager, I did make all my own breakfasts because I had to walk a mile
to the bus stop to go to school and my mother had more important things to
do than make me breakfast ... I invariably had a poached or soft-boiled egg on
a piece of dry whole wheat toast ... for lunch, I always packed half an apple and
half a tuna sandwich on whole wheat bread! funny ... I hadn't thought of that
in years!
 Drezzal
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2013 7:51:36 PM
TV...

I tend to watch tv shows like Come Dine With Me, Masterchef, Hells Kitchen, Saturday Kitchen etc (the list goes on, i love cooking shows) and when i see something that looks nice, I make it, simple as that haha. I watched saturday kitchen yesterday and one of the chefs made a triple chocolate cheesecake in 10 mins, i made it this morning, it was amazing! :D
 eklektika
Msg: 65
Posted: 2/18/2013 8:41:21 AM
Being a farm girl my mom started me in the kitchen at a very young age helping with prepping stuff first. By age 11 I was helping with the harvest meals. I was mostly put on the dessert, I was the best baker.
 Albvs
Msg: 66
Posted: 2/20/2013 4:19:19 PM
I would go to restaurants, eat something that I liked and then try to make it the next evening at home. I find that it's a good way to learn, by attempting to mimic what someone else has made. It also helps to teach you to slow down and taste their food in an effort to figure out what ingredients were used, a useful skill when adjusting your own food for flavor.

I eventually took some seminars at the California Culinary Academy which were rather good. I also worked with someone who is making a cookbook and worked through several of her recipes to proof them. It was good experience and it should be a great book when it comes out.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > How did you learn to cook?