Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 20
Vanilla Sites vs. Adult SitesPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)

My question is ... why did I get so much attention on an adult site; but, seem to have a problem meeting someone that really wants an actual relationship on this type of site? Is a physical relationship all men are interested in at my age? It seemed the men on the other site took a chance at getting to know the real me instead of judging a book by its cover, which is what men on here seem to do. Thanks for any input you may have. I am curious if anyone else has had the same experience regarding the difference in sites.

OP ~ here's an interesting twist for you to ponder. I've been on a BDSM site since it's conception. Oddly? My profile there is just as vanilla as it is here. More so, in fact. I REFUSE to talk sex, even though I am exceptionally sex-positive. Until I have a feel for someone and feel there is need to discuss the most intimate parts of my personal life, I don't. I often times (over there) post out and out nasty journals about being asked "do you take it up the ......" or "are you a ****-pig".....silliness. The truth of the matter as I see it? I will be treated with respect regardless of what site I'm on and if not? I won't be communicating. I have no interest in feeling like human-****-meat, nor do I allow those types of exchanges. This site is NO different than that site and there are MANY of the same members there that are here (believe it or not, tis true ~ many of these good vanilla boys are singing different tunes just a click away!) I suppose I don't/didn't have the experiences so varied between the sites (such as you noted) because I want to be treated as a person long before I want treated as the sex-positive creature I am (once I know someone.) I would guess that you had 800 followers because you attracted what you offered and you offered to fill a void for many people by being sexually open. Do that here. You'll go from no attention to having more than you can handle, I promise. It's the same thing, just a different venue. JMO
 Juslookin01182
Msg: 21
Vanilla Sites vs. Adult Sites
Posted: 7/22/2012 7:03:40 PM

Getting guys who want to do you
is easy.

Getting guys to want to be with you
is much harder.....

Gosh so many awesome answers to this topic but this one really stuck out. Nail hammered.
 NonamousDog
Msg: 22
Posted: 7/23/2012 9:29:16 AM
OP,

Another thing I can tell you, from personal experience, in fact, that once guys post a profile on those adult dating sites, and come to the realization that they have little chance of actually meeting a woman through it, logging into the site and trading stories and observations with other members becomes an amusing form of time-wasting. I'd guess a lot of the attention you received at that other site was like that.

And, so far as I'm concerned, the POF forums are pretty much the same kind of time-wasting, just a little less explicit.
 JerseyGirl2008
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/23/2012 9:50:33 AM
Anytime men think they're going to get any kind of cheap sexual thrill, they're RIGHT there. Talk about sex and play to the mouth-breathing male masses, and that's what you'll get. Neanderthals writing to you about what they want to do to you is not romantic interest; if that type of "interest" is flattering, then you're a better woman than I because I sure don't. It was nothing more than spank material to most of those cretins - and they were probably typing to you with one hand. Blech.

These guys could say whatever they wanted to you because they were miles away and they didn' t have to put their money were their keyboards were. I'm sure plenty of them acted as though they'd be with you "in a New York minute if you just weren't so far away." What crap. No doubt, 98% of them probably had a wife a few feet away out in the kitchen cooking their dinner while the buttmunch was acting like an idiot out at a sex site on his computer, making promises he couldn't keep.

That type of "interest" is hardly the thing dreams are made of.
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 24
Posted: 7/24/2012 3:37:05 PM
Many of the men on vanilla sites are on Adult Friend Finder- w/ their vanilla pic up! Some just want to get laid & have a hard time doing it on traditional sites, whereas some are sex addicts & need a constant stream of NEW sex partners & many of them...so they will email many women. Also, when on a pay site, they want their money's worth & will work harder, than on a free site when they can email a woman any ole day.

Sometimes I think a sex site may be more HONEST than a dating site...and from what a friend told me, at least they buy you dinner! LMFAO!
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/24/2012 3:44:37 PM

Sometimes I think a sex site may be more HONEST than a dating site...and from what a friend told me, at least they buy you dinner! LMFAO!

Your friend has a valid point. (About the HONEST part, not so much about the dinner part....LOL)
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 26
Posted: 7/25/2012 6:23:21 PM
Well ladies, if we want dinner b4 getting propositioned, we should go on sex sites!
 NonamousDog
Msg: 27
Posted: 7/31/2012 9:46:00 AM
BLoNde_ANgeL,

Many of the men on vanilla sites are on Adult Friend Finder- w/ their vanilla pics up!"

So I take it that you've spent a fair amount of time cruising AFF to gain your insights into what motivates men to post profiles there?
 RubyLynn67
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2017 7:41:26 PM
because on adult site they think you only want nsa sex , if you want a shades of grey long term relationship they wont write you,
 south_city
Msg: 32
Posted: 6/29/2017 10:59:24 AM

Another thing I can tell you, from personal experience, in fact, that once guys post a profile on those adult dating sites, and come to the realization that they have little chance of actually meeting a woman through it, logging into the site and trading stories and observations with other members becomes an amusing form of time-wasting. I'd guess a lot of the attention you received at that other site was like that.

I have been on adult websites in the past. While it can be difficult for a man to directly meet a woman from there, some of these websites have sections where people can post ads for sex / swinger parties. A single man would probably have a better chance to have sex at these parties.
 cooldog65
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2017 11:56:48 AM
I prefer chocolate over vanilla...
 ohenryx
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2017 1:58:27 PM
I am on several adult oriented web sites, and have been for just as long as I have been on here. And yes, I do run into women on those sites that also have conventional profiles on POF and Ok*Cupid and Match and ….

I remember about 5 years ago, there was a woman who was a semi-regular here in the forums, and rather strait-laced, condemning men for only wanting sex, etc. I encountered her profile on a different site, entirely different, and I sent her a private message asking about that. Her reply: “On here (POF), I am looking for a relationship. My odds on finding a relationship are much better if I act prim and proper. But while waiting for Mr. Right, I wouldn’t mind spending a little time with Mr. Right Now.”

I found her honesty rather refreshing, but her double standards not so much. I later asked her about dating married men (her other profile was on AM), and she replied, “I can get a better class of man if I’m willing to date married.” This shortly after she made a post here condemning another woman for dating a man who was separated.
 fullmoonguy2
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2017 2:12:30 PM

Most men will be more successful finding a relationship than getting laid.

LOL.

Good one.

Or did you mean successful at finding a "friend zone" relationship?
 spot4username
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2017 2:49:51 PM
meh one person's kink is another person's vanilla

I have had profiles on a number of nontraditional sites.
Anything and everything is what you make of it.
Nothing more and nothing less.
 siisaa
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/15/2019 7:21:56 PM
Ironically I met more relationship-minded men on kink sites. I've met 3 and though we had sex rather quickly, 2 of them asked me to be their girlfriend quickly too. I think it has something to do with most of the female profiles being fake and from what they told me, women flaked WAAAYYYY more on kink/sex sites than vanilla dating ones. The men on kink sites were much less afflicted w/ a "grass is greener" mentality than on vanilla ones.

From a superficial standpoint, most of the people in the BDSM community were not conventionally attractive. If you are decent-looking and you find another decent-looking person who shares your kinky proclivities, it's a lot less likely you're going to toss them back into the pond.
 ssm508
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2019 7:55:17 AM

Most men will be more successful finding a relationship than getting laid

Not necessarily. As mentioned earlier, it might be tough to directly find women from adult websites. However there are sex / swinger parties where a decent looking man that is respectful will be able to have sex more often than not. Just need to know which parties allow single men. That can be done with some online research.
 norwegianguy456
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2019 5:50:02 PM

I am on several adult oriented web sites, and have been for just as long as I have been on here. And yes, I do run into women on those sites

"HI Henry!" (collectively spoken) Welcome to sex-a-holics anonymous... ;)

I do run into women on those sites that also have conventional profiles on POF and Ok*Cupid and Match

It does raise an eyebrow, but merely conventional (not outlandish) on a conventional site isn't crazy, but...

there was a woman who was a semi-regular here in the forums, and rather strait-laced, condemning men for only wanting sex, etc. I encountered her profile on a different site, entirely different [on AM]

If the profile is in the Opposite direction, or as you point out, their expressions in forums are in the Opposite direction -- yeah, that's messed up.

IMO, it's one of the ways people are, truly deny it (to themselves and others), but it's more prevalent than we think and unfortunately kind of common to some degree. No, I'm not saying That situation that extent is common. But I do believe the more one is motivated to be straight-laced as a Good way of life AND pro-active in the social scene of society -- the more apt they are to have contradicting desires and not fully realize the scope of it.

It doesn't take a blue moon at all to find an otherwise Normal gal expressing one thing about what they like in a guy and/or how a guy should act, but then cum to find out, being relatively sober still, she ends up hooking up with a guy who does Not fit that bill. Saying one thing, doing another. Same goes for some guys, to a lesser extent -- but I believe that's due to guys feeling less social-conforming pressure in life.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >